Ubisoft not giving out review copies for the Crew

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Link

Ubisoft is getting ready to launch its social racing game in just a week, and has today issued a statement about reviews for the title. In short, critics will not have access to the game until it launches on December 2.

“While we totally understand (hey, we read reviews, too!), The Crew was built from the beginning to be a living playground full of driving fans, so it’s only possible to assess our game in its entirety with other real players in the world,” the company writes. “And by other, we mean thousands and thousands and thousands of players – something that can’t be simulated with a handful of devs playing alongside the press. For this very reason, The Crew will be available to media to begin their reviews when the game launches on December 2.”

Ubisoft has had a busy fall, with the release of two Assassins’ Creed games and Far Cry 4 in just the past month. Far Cry 4 suffered from some problems at launch, including a crippling bug on PlayStation 3.

Assassin’s Creed Unity is still under repair, with the most recently uncovered problem focused on a basic social feature. Late last week, Ubisoft shared that a game-breaking bug was caused by adding other players to the in-game friends list.

In its statement, Ubisoft goes so far to warn against early reviews of The Crew. “While we fully anticipate that you might see some reviews immediately at launch – largely built around the preview sessions we facilitated during the past months or the limited content of the closed and open betas – they won’t be based on optimal conditions or reflect the finished game,” the company writes.

Alright people, this is it. Ubisoft is now the new EA. They're the new assholes of the gaming industry. What the hell is this? There should be something done about this. First Unity, then Far Cry 4 and now this

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

It's pretty easy to figure out: the game probably sucks so best to avoid it. If a publisher/developer has no confidence in their product, why the **** should anyone else?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I think we all know what this means.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#5 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

I'm hyping it a 10/10.

danlevm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 danlevm
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

sketch city.... and I am out of here!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Ubi being Ubi.

They have a standard to maintain, being the heel of gamers everywhere.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

They should be ashamed of themselves. Big publishers have slowly turned customers into beta tester for their products - and people were busy complaining about early access titles? The standards for a finished product, on any platform, are the lowest they've ever been. If gamers continue to support this practice like they've been doing, it can only get worse from here. Seems like literally only the most professional developers actually release finished products these days.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#9 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

The fantastic flops: Watch Dogs, Ac unity, FC4 & the crew. What a difference a year makes.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

I don't think it'll hurt them much, the game isn't that anticipated, it's pre-order numbers in North America are pretty low, each console garnering less pre-orders than Persona Q. And I highly doubt any launch praise is going to benefit this game, rather any release ready reviews probably stand a chance to hurt the game. They're probably aware of this. If you were in their position, it's probably a good idea not to give out review copies, give them a few days to maximize sale on the ignorant. They've everything to gain from doing this and nothing to lose. After all, regardless if whether they gave out review copies, trolls would flood every site that allows for user reviews and flood it with 0/10 scores because "Ubisoft is new evil EA and blah blah blah... Assassin's Creed Unity... Far Cry 4... microtransactions... DLC... post release patches... durrrrrr."

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

To be honest, I totally forgot about The Crew and I have actively try my best to stay on top of all upcoming games.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Its not ultimately as big a world no but with the release of GTA V on the PS4 you can organise your own online races through the city and/or countryside much the same as the crew if thats your thing.

The only real difference being customisation in ubisofts game however im not a fan making road cars into stupid off road buggy type creations with big wheels etc etc so im not interested in the crew at all.

The fact the devs are not giving review copies out speaks volumes to me atleast.

Lord_Hamm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lord_Hamm
Member since 2003 • 1350 Posts

Pre ordered

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

My hype for any and every ubisoft game died after Unity PC version... I'm excited to see how The Division and Rainbow Six turn out, either the games are great and not glitchy and I have fun with them or I have fun on the forums burying Ubisoft in their apathy towards the quality of their products and the consumers who pay hard earned money for them.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Ok your all jumping the gun, yes Ubisoft is making very bad decisions at the moment and there games are very flawed, but you can't put this in the same group.

the game is basically a Racing MMO, how could anyone give a decent and fair review, before the game hits, they'd be pretty much playing the game by themselves and wouldn't be a fair judgement, I just see this as a good point by Ubisoft for this game, there right it can't be reviewed until the game is out to the masses.

but I don't deny Ubisoft as the new EA tho, but this embargo isn't the reason.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I suggest all reviewers just review the beta version as final then.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#18 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Yeah, that's an obvious sign it's gonna be a train wreck.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Either they're genuinely worried early reviews will be doing a disservice to their game or what they're saying is "nonono you have to wait until "thousands and thousands and thousands" of people buy our game before reviewing it".....

Honestly once AssCreed became a yearly game much like CoD I started losing hope; after they claimed they didn't have any female protagonists in AC:U because it was simply not possible to do I started to hate them entirely... They're like EA though, terrible company, but hard to avoid entirely in gaming >.<

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

It's in "Open beta" on consoles just days before release, like that is going to do any good.

If it was truly an open beta it should have been done weeks or months ago.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

let me guess

Is this going to be yet another boring,repetitive,lazy,uninspired,buggy and poorly optimized ubitrash game?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Last_Ride

@KHAndAnime said:

They should be ashamed of themselves. Big publishers have slowly turned customers into beta tester for their products - and people were busy complaining about early access titles? The standards for a finished product, on any platform, are the lowest they've ever been. If gamers continue to support this practice like they've been doing, it can only get worse from here. Seems like literally only the most professional developers actually release finished products these days.

It's sad to see also, we are beta testers for pretty much all the games atm

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#24 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

Broken game incoming.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I was about to create a topic about this.

So, who's ready to pay $60 to beta test the game?

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@Gue1 said:

I was about to create a topic about this.

So, who's ready to pay $60 to beta test the game?

You can beta test it for free on PS4 and Xbox One right now.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Any online game should be reviewed after launch,i say this because it is a joke to play a game in an enclosed environment vs few people vs playing the game with 300k people at the same time,greatly impact games so better save that sorry.

The things is Ubi with this move i am sure is not seeking that and what it is actually sicking with this is stop reviews from hitting the game hard on reviews,this day in age in gaming sucks freaking ass..

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#28 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

Well, we all know what this means...

Incoming GOAT!

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@magicalclick said:

Don't care much. I have FH2.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Well racing games is a garbage genre but looks like this will be bad even by those standards.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Seems like they don't have confidence in their game . "but but but it's world of warcraft of car games"

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Ubi taking another shit. Shocking.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I want this to get something on Sonic Boom level so their stock drops even lower. Expecting a 5/10 on GS but a 3/10 would be funny and from what i've seen in the beta, 3/10 is generous

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts

I have a feeling many game companies will follow the same path; no review until launch. 343 may do the same for halo 5 just so they can get in as much sales possible than risk losing potential buyers due to bad reviews. They can do whatever they want by milking $$ from their new ip before letting it sinks in the middle of the ocean. To tell you the truth.... if i own a new ip and allowed people to beta test it and received back many horrendous feedbacks.. i would stop the beta asap, block reviews until launch, do many commercials showing only the best gameplays, photoshop to 4k hd quality, quote only positive comments from ign gameinformer gametrailers, include a chance to win 1 million dollar (never announce the winner), and limited edition comes with a racing flag (price at $100). Create 100s fake accounts as beta testers telling the world how good that game was and post it in every famous game forums sites and hype it to the sky. Sit back and watch the $$$ roll in.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#36 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

Ok your all jumping the gun, yes Ubisoft is making very bad decisions at the moment and there games are very flawed, but you can't put this in the same group.

the game is basically a Racing MMO, how could anyone give a decent and fair review, before the game hits, they'd be pretty much playing the game by themselves and wouldn't be a fair judgement, I just see this as a good point by Ubisoft for this game, there right it can't be reviewed until the game is out to the masses.

but I don't deny Ubisoft as the new EA tho, but this embargo isn't the reason.

The beta was poorly received and didnt have an NDA from participants iirc.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#37  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

*tries to get outraged*

*fails*

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

Eh....should a game that depends on live play really be rated if it doesn't have it?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

It makes sense though, it would be like trying to score a Halo game without playing MP. I dont have high hopes for the game, but I think his reasons are legit.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Flop incoming.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Bullshit

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

OMG I nearly spit out my coffee

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#43 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Sega didn't give out review copies of Sonic Boom, and look how that turned out. Ubisoft has been on a roll lately. No reason for them to stop.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The_Last_Ride

@Heil68 said:

It makes sense though, it would be like trying to score a Halo game without playing MP. I dont have high hopes for the game, but I think his reasons are legit.

But you don't refuse giving out review copies jsut because you don't want it reviewed...

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

I wonder why...

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#46 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

no early review copies always means the game is awful.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's gonna suck, no doubt.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

I have played the beta so know what to expect anyway.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

I understand the skepticism here - Ubi has had a brutal year - but they make a valid point about the ability to review a social game without the community actually there. And they haven't exactly been terrified to show it, there was a widely played beta already, and another coming up.

It's not a game on my list, but if I were interested I'd be satisfied with the early exposure Ubi has made available.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@santoron said:

I understand the skepticism here - Ubi has had a brutal year - but they make a valid point about the ability to review a social game without the community actually there. And they haven't exactly been terrified to show it, there was a widely played beta already, and another coming up.

It's not a game on my list, but if I were interested I'd be satisfied with the early exposure Ubi has made available.

Other games that feature a major online component can and are reviewed prior to release with the review being updated again a few days after release.