Top 5 reasons why XBL's $50 is worth paying for.

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for credibilityzero
credibilityzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 credibilityzero
Member since 2007 • 772 Posts

There are 14M users for XBL this year, lets do the math, 14M x $50 = $700M, this is a bit of exaggerating so lets say it is between $400M to $500M annually.

1- Paying for online play makes MS recoup their losses much faster and easier, I mean $1B for extended warranty was too much for MS to handle.

2- Make better marketing, with $500M every year, throwing $10M for their games makes even average games sell which is better for developers we do care about.

3- Making it easy for MS to snatch exclusives from the competition.

4- Again, it is easier for them to slash their console prices.

5- makes the NXE free to download.

Sony should follow their footsteps with PSN.

ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts

Wait , so why do I want pay for XBL ? So M$ can have more of money ? Or so I can listen to Soulja Boi blaring into my headset ?

birdman2111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 birdman2111
Member since 2004 • 1218 Posts
Its just money, spend $4 less a month on something else (fast food etc.) and you have your xbox live all paid for. if you give up fast food, xbox live is more effective than wii fit :P
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts

That's 14 million gold and silver subscribers.  They don't have 14 million people paying them $50 a year.

Nice try though.

credibilityzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 credibilityzero

Wait , so why do I want pay for XBL ? So M$ can have more of money ? Or so I can listen to Soulja Boi blaring into my headset ?

ps3wizard45

Both, there is no other justification for paying for XBL other than my top 5 reasons..

credibilityzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 credibilityzero

That's 14 million gold and silver subscribers. They don't have 14 million people paying them $50 a year.

Nice try though.

Zhengi

Lets say there is 10M gold members, thats $500M a year.

Flugigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Flugigo
Member since 2004 • 6766 Posts
lol hold on you're trying to convince me that it's good we're giving microsoft more money? haha as if microsoft needs more money. no thanks, free psn all the way
credibilityzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 credibilityzero

Its just money, spend $4 less a month on something else (fast food etc.) and you have your xbox live all paid for. if you give up fast food, xbox live is more effective than wii fit :Pbirdman2111

That is a solid reason also :lol:

stappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 stappy
Member since 2004 • 611 Posts

ps3wizard45

I'd say paying $299 for having Soulja Boy blaring into your headset, is better than paying $699 and having Soulja Boy blaring into your TV Sound System. Plus MS is pretty much worldwide, while Sony keeps to small areas, instead of focusing on dropping the price of their product anywhere but in Japan.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
[QUOTE="Zhengi"]

That's 14 million gold and silver subscribers. They don't have 14 million people paying them $50 a year.

Nice try though.

credibilityzero

Who's to say that that 10 million gold member figure is correct?  What if it was closer to 5 million gold members instead?  :)

MS should give us exact figures instead of combining the two.  If the install base is at 21 million, it could mean that those who don't pay for online gaming can range from 7 million to 16 million.

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
Lemmings are so used to paying so much that they rejoice that NXE is free :lol:
agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts
I am really not enticed by any of those.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

I mean $1B for extended warranty was too much for MS to handle.

credibilityzero

bahahahahahahahaha.

birdman2111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 birdman2111
Member since 2004 • 1218 Posts
[QUOTE="credibilityzero"]

Hewkii

bahahahahahahahaha.

Yeah they had to take out their cheque book instead of reaching into their wallet, what a hassle :P 

credibilityzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 credibilityzero
[QUOTE="credibilityzero"][QUOTE="Zhengi"]

Nice try though.

Zhengi

Who's to say that that 10 million gold member figure is correct? What if it was closer to 5 million gold members instead? :)

MS should give us exact figures instead of combining the two. If the install base is at 21 million, it could mean that those who don't pay for online gaming can range from 7 million to 16 million.

Lets say there are 8M ok, thats $400M.

credibilityzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 credibilityzero

Hewkii

bahahahahahahahaha.

Fans of 360 shows alot of support and love for MS, I mean Sony fanboys don't know why we pay $50 and here I clarified it.

We showed them how much power consuming the PS3 is and still they didn't know why we pay for it.

angry_fork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 angry_fork
Member since 2008 • 2184 Posts

There are 14M users for XBL this year, lets do the math, 14M x $50 = $700M, this is a bit of exaggerating so lets say it is between $400M to $500M annually.

1- Paying for online play makes MS recoup their losses much faster and easier, I mean $1B for extended warranty was too much for MS to handle.

2- Make better marketing, with $500M every year, throwing $10M for their games makes even average games sell which is better for developers we do care about.

credibilityzero
1. Doesn't matter to me. 2. Doesn't matter to me. Do I feel like paying Microsoft to make a commercial for a game I already know about? No thanks. 3. Doesn't matter to me. I want 2 games from Xbox 360, that's it. 4. If you already own a Xbox 360, why would you care about them slashing prices? Do you plan on buying a 2nd? 5. Free to download? lmao... AOL lets you download AOL for free ...but you obviously can't use it because they charge you for the service. Not to mention Home is free to download AND free to use as well.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i don't like ur reasons. i do buy live, its meh. i like pc gaming better because of the online is better.
BTBAM127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BTBAM127
Member since 2006 • 2522 Posts
1 is a bit ridiculous. your tryign to justify paying $50 a year to play a game online because microsoft had horible hardware issues? why should the gamer suffer even more for that.
voxware00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 voxware00
Member since 2004 • 5018 Posts

no

when is the last time the 360 stole a game from the ps3? and i don't mean now they both have it.. i mean MH3 in terms of stealing

i can't believe you're supporting paying for something which should be free in the first place, because it supports them fixing the system which shouldnt've been broke in the first place

anyone see the snake eating its own tail logic here?

-Mad_Rhetoric-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -Mad_Rhetoric-
Member since 2008 • 1765 Posts

$4.50 per month is barly anything

XBL is worth every penny

voxware00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 voxware00

XBL is worth every penny

-Mad_Rhetoric-

barley is for beer, that 4.50 could better go towards some beer...

XBL is not worth a dime when you can play PC games online for free

4.50 adds up when it's a luxury you could be getting for free in the first place, it's not the price its the principal

do most of you XBL supporters pay for your own accounts even

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23065 Posts

You're number one reason is that MS makes more money, which helps them recoup losses for broken hardware that they shoveled onto their customers?

I like the 360 too, but give me a break.

credibilityzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 credibilityzero

angry_fork

1. Doesn't matter to me. 2. Doesn't matter to me. Do I feel like paying Microsoft to make a commercial for a game I already know about? No thanks. 3. Doesn't matter to me. I want 2 games from Xbox 360, that's it. 4. If you already own a Xbox 360, why would you care about them slashing prices? Do you plan on buying a 2nd? 5. Free to download? lmao... AOL lets you download AOL for free ...but you obviously can't use it because they charge you for the service. Not to mention Home is free to download AND free to use as well.

You don't even know what is the meaning of support then, start paying for PSN to get the games you want.

stappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 stappy
Member since 2004 • 611 Posts
[QUOTE="-Mad_Rhetoric-"]

XBL is worth every penny

voxware00

4.50 adds up when it's a luxury you could be getting for free in the first place, it's not the price its the principal

Beer would end up killing you, XBL won't. Besides, PSN is a free service, and look at the amount of complaints it's getting.

credibilityzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 credibilityzero

XBL is worth every penny

-Mad_Rhetoric-

$4.50 per month is something buddy but Im willing to sacrifice it for XBL if it means better gaming for me and supporting MS.

AlphaGamer469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AlphaGamer469
Member since 2008 • 1881 Posts
[QUOTE="angry_fork"][QUOTE="credibilityzero"]

credibilityzero

You don't even know what is the meaning of support then, start paying for PSN to get the games you want.

Better yet, have Sony stop wasting time and money overhyping the next mediocre product and put the money into research and development and maybe they may finally get a clue...

Snowboarder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Snowboarder99
Member since 2006 • 5460 Posts
Unfortunately my live is crap right now for no reason so it's hard for me to see why I'm paying $50 a year for it.
credibilityzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 credibilityzero

Unfortunately my live is crap right now for no reason so it's hard for me to see why I'm paying $50 a year for it.Snowboarder99

Just have faith in MS like me and your online will be fixed shortly.

Snowboarder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Snowboarder99
Member since 2006 • 5460 Posts

[QUOTE="Snowboarder99"]Unfortunately my live is crap right now for no reason so it's hard for me to see why I'm paying $50 a year for it.credibilityzero

Just have faith in MS like me and your online will be fixed shortly.

I'm waiting for the update, if it's still bad then I'm going to call MS.  I like talking to the surfer dude.

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts

Five Reasons why we shouldnt have to pay for LIVE.

1. Its full of ads that companies paid for it to be there

2. Every single extra content companies paid in order for it to be there

3. There are ads

4.Sometimes poor laggy gameplay

5. There are ads.

voxware00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 voxware00
[QUOTE="voxware00"][QUOTE="-Mad_Rhetoric-"]

XBL is worth every penny

stappy

Beer would end up killing you, XBL won't. Besides, PSN is a free service, and look at the amount of complaints it's getting.

XBL will kill me if it takes food from my mouth, which is what both beer and XBL do.. so i'm straight edge.. don't touch beer or xbl for financial reasons

besides, pc online is a free service, and look how much acclaim it's getting not to mention it attracts modders

i'd rather develop a hobby from multiplayer gaming like modding rather than get stuck in the fantasy of an online virtual world where no progress is made besides your experience.. thankfully i'm past my multiplayer phase

XBL bothers me because it's like seeing people stuck in the 80s.. lemmings who wish they had the tech knowledge to build a pc and be hermits, bragging about their online meanwhile to pc gamers its like watching somebody use one of those 80s gigantic zach morris' cell phones and brag about how it only cost $4.50 a minute

"If you want to play online with your 360, you will pay." Or you'll see the scam for what it is, and feel sad that half your consoles library is intentionally crippled.. especially considering theres not that many exclusive lengthy single player games

and MS realizes they didn't make gold appealing enough.. so what do they do, cripple silver so gold looks even better because "hey you get free demos sooner!" that's not making your online service better, that's making your standard console look ****

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tjeremiah1988

XBL is worth every penny

-Mad_Rhetoric-

thats not the point. The point that you shouldnt have to pay at all. Put the 4.50 to something else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts

I always find it funny that the people who are pissed the most about XBL fees are the people who don't plan on paying them or who don't even own a 360. I don't try to see more or less what/where the money goes to or whatever it's very simple:  If you want to play online with your 360, you will pay. But here are some things to try to soften the blow if the $50 is too much for you to handle:

1. Buy a 1-year membership cards w/ your income tax check. Works for me, plus mine are usually big enough where that doesn't affect me at all.

2. Request one from someone in your family during Christmas.  Either that or a $50 gift card to wherever they sell XBL cards.

3. Make or utilize your shady friends.  We all have a couple who can get things a number of different ways, why not?

4. Choose your gaming selection wisely.  This year I personally have brought 4 games that if I hadn't played, I'd be a better person for it. $240 right there flushed, and only made back about $140 of it through selling and trading. That's damn near 5 years of XBL, and I know a great deal of people brought at least 1 game they hated at full price. $60 right there.

If that doesn't work save up to get your PC upgraded or trade-in your 360 and its games for a PS3, only to *****when your favorite franchise comes to 360 or you get a gimped port on PS3.

DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts
 I laughed hard at #1, that made my evening.  :lol:
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts
There's nothing to defend, its freaking $5 a month, people that complain about that have no business playing video games since surely you've bought a $60 game you barely played. I'd rather pay the $5 a month and enjoy playing with my friends with very little hassle rather than buying ONE whole extra game over the span of a year.
SiKh22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SiKh22
Member since 2006 • 4661 Posts

credibilityzero

Making NXE free, why the heck should it even costs if it were too? A firmware update is not suppose to cost money..Think about that..But I guess you didn't.  You know MS has some positions open, you should check out.....

shemrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 shemrom
Member since 2005 • 1206 Posts
[QUOTE="-Mad_Rhetoric-"]

XBL is worth every penny

voxware00

hey think about this, with the economy in such bad shape right now and Sony doesn't make users pay for on-line games, which means that they are losing money in that part of the PS3, while paying 50$ per years with a great market place, the new X-Box live experience coming out soon, Many games that was once PS exclusives now coming for the X-Box and online money to keep them afloat for longer, especially since most consumer will not be paying much money for high cost boy toys like the Sony brands this holiday because they are worry about there money. Who you think would be doing better after chistmas?????? 

credibilityzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 credibilityzero

I laughed hard at #1, that made my evening. :lol:DementedDragon

Just imagine what happened that day to Bill Gates? Im sure he was crying on his bed and was very hurt.

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Tjeremiah1988
[QUOTE="voxware00"][QUOTE="-Mad_Rhetoric-"]

XBL is worth every penny

shemrom

hey think about this, with the economy in such bad shape right now and Sony doesn't make users pay for on-line games, which means that they are losing money in that part of the PS3, while paying 50$ per years with a great market place, the new X-Box live s coming out soon, Many games that was once PS exclusives now coming for the X-Box and online money to keep them afloat for longer, especially since most consumer will not be paying much money for high cost boy toys like the Sony brands this holiday because they are worry about there money. Who you think would be doing better after chistmas?????? 

if that was the case then PSN will invite companies to advertise that will help with their "loses". You know, who those same ads that are on LIVE that already helps MS "stay atfloat longer".

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Tjeremiah1988

[QUOTE="DementedDragon"] I laughed hard at #1, that made my evening. :lol:credibilityzero

Just imagine what happened that day to Bill Gates? Im sure he was crying on his bed and was very hurt.

so we should feel sorry and help fix his mistake?

shemrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 shemrom
Member since 2005 • 1206 Posts

if that was the case then PSN will invite companies to advertise that will help with their "loses". You know, who those same ads that are on LIVE that already helps MS "stay atfloat longer".

Tjeremiah1988

yes your right, but we don't see as much on the PSN now do we???

I knew we are all blabbing about why we hate or love the Online services, but both Micrsoft and Sony are felling the pinch this season. In the end they both are going to be hurt

credibilityzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 credibilityzero

[QUOTE="DementedDragon"] I laughed hard at #1, that made my evening.:lol:Tjeremiah1988

so we should feel sorry and help fix his mistake?

I was trying to justify paying for live and you ruined it.

DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts

credibilityzero

Heh, you must be joking, they deserve every recoup loss they get in terms of hardware failure.  They made the system so it's their issue, not ours.  Granted, the money we pay for the Live service in theory could be helping their recoup woes, but not largely I imagine.

Hardly a reason to why XBL is worth paying for.

credibilityzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 credibilityzero

DementedDragon

Heh, you must be joking, they deserve every recoup loss they get in terms of hardware failure. They made the system so it's their issue, not ours. Granted, the money we pay for the Live service in theory could be helping their recoup woes, but not largely I imagine.

Hardly a reason to why XBL is worth paying for.

You ruined my life, how could I justify paying for XBL ? :P

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

credibilityzero

Is there any benefits for gamers or just for M$?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

ps3wizard45

Back button, highlight name, mute. I really dont get why people complain about that.

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Tjeremiah1988
[QUOTE="ps3wizard45"]

Ninja-Hippo

Back button, highlight name, mute. I really dont get why people complain about that.

in some games like GTA, its hard to see whos actually talking once the game starts.

Buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#49 Buneroid
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts
Those are some damn aweful reasons. You should be paying for incredible online services, not so M$ can have more money (is that even possible?)
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Those aren't very compelling reasons to make me the gamer want to pay for it. I don't pay money to support Microsoft, I pay money to buy games and support developers who make games I like.