Top 11 Video game stories of all time

This topic is locked from further discussion.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14944 Posts

I am going to start with the first 10 games that have exceptional stories, and sometimes I will group them as a series if the stories connect with eachoter directly.

Np particular order...

Silent Hill 2 - the only horror game that truly matters, beneth the distrubing imagery and the tension, along with the series most iconic character in Pyramid Head, lies a story about love, lost, and sin.

Planescape Torment - One of the best written video games of all time, the story stars an immortal on his quest to die. Along with him, one of the best written protagonists in gaming, is a unique supporting cast that includes a floating skull.

Final Fantasy VI - The most revolutionary JRPG story since Phantasy Star, this game's story transcends JRPGs before it and very few JRPGs ever reach the level FFVI elevated the genre to. The story was more than just an epic quest, it wasa statement on the value of human life, as the game mostly revolves around the journey of two women finding their humanity and to stop a madman who seeks to destroy it.

Bioshock (series) - Both games and the DLC Minerva's Den are top notch in storytelling. Featuring twists and turns, great characterizations, poignancy, twists, philosphy, and an incredible setting, Rapture is one the most realized settings in video gaming.

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - What is one of the greatest RPG's ever, this story revolves around stopping an outcast mad wizard from taking bloody revenge on the elves who outcasted him. Featuring memorable scenes and characters, along with one of the greatest bad guy defeat scenes ever, this game still is considered a bar for storytelling in the genre.

Final Fantasy Tactics - While the localization was terrible in the games first release, the plot was top notch, what may very well be the best written story in the series. The story is about two friends who take different journeys to stop a corrupt church from taking over power. Its this divergence that truly makes FF Tactics's story great.

Mass Effect (series) - Yet to come full circle, this franchise, along with Bioshock, is this gens ur-example of great storytelling. The universe relies heavily on the great characterizations and immersive settings. The fact that this franchise is more than just games is testament to how great the storytelling is. The latest novel is excellent as well.

The Longest Journey - one of the great adventure game stories starring a woman in strange lands of Stark and Arcadia. One of the swan songs of the genre that was big in the 90's in PC gaming, few games can match the epic fantasy story of the Longest Journey.

Suikoden II - one of the greatest JRPG stories ever. Although plagued with translation problems, the story revolves around four children caught up in a brutal war started by one of the most heinous villians in gaming (Prince Luca Blight). The two main characters, Riou and Jowy, have their friendship tested after picking up runes of power that carries a curse in which the bearers must do conflict with eachother. The story is not about an epic quest to stop the destruction of the world, but about the tragedies that war, division,and cruelty brings(especially on children), and in the end, about saving a friendship.

Shadow of the Colossus - a very simple but powerful tale about a boy making a deal with the devil to revive his love. The ending is one of the most memorable ever, in which [spoiler] you were the villian all along [/spoiler] .

And the game with the best narrative goes to........

This is the greatest game story ever told. 12 years after this games release, there has not been a story as creative and charming as this one. The story stars a travel agent of the Department of Death, or the grim reaper, trying to solve a mystery of why a lady who lived avirtuous cannot get tickets to the Ninth Underworld, or heaven. Along the way you meet a bunch of memorable characters as take part in a unique plot. The setting is also top notch, mixing elements of Day of the Dead (in which the game takes place ont hat day for four years) with 50's film noir. This game is the top of the adventure genre, but sadly one of the last as Grim Fandago did not sell well. Its a shame they do not make games like this anymore.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I clicked the spoiler by accident and I've never played SotC :cry:

muzik_mafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 muzik_mafia
Member since 2009 • 1628 Posts

Yay, someone who acknowledges Minerva's Den!

FEAR was very enjoyable.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
The Metal Gear Solid series should be up on that list.
MetalGearTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 MetalGearTwin
Member since 2004 • 91 Posts

The Metal Gear Solid series should be up on that list.majadamus

Oh most defintitely u cant go wrong at all wit Metal Gear Solid, the strength in that whole series, is the story

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

The Mass Effect story is not that good.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="majadamus"]The Metal Gear Solid series should be up on that list.MetalGearTwin

Oh most defintitely u cant go wrong at all wit Metal Gear Solid, the strength in that whole series, is the story

The MGS series is bested by the games listed.... MGS1 and MGS3 are good stories, MGS2 and MGS4 are not as good.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

but it is due to the setting and characters.
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
FFX and Kingdom Hearts. Although KH may seem light-hearted and cartoony, the story actually made me emotional. :D
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

but it is due to the setting and characters.

The setting is a blatant rip-off of every Sci-Fi setting ever utilized in any medium, and most of the characters in the first game are flat out uninteresting.
Shoaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#12 Shoaka
Member since 2009 • 643 Posts

Mass Effect.

princemarth23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 princemarth23
Member since 2005 • 9229 Posts

FFX and Kingdom Hearts. Although KH may seem light-hearted and cartoony, the story actually made me emotional. :DMr_Cumberdale

Yeah me too. KH definitely has a strong story even if its really convoluted.

muzik_mafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 muzik_mafia
Member since 2009 • 1628 Posts

[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]Fried_Shrimp

But it does...

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

I agree with Grim Fandango,Planescape: Torment,Baldurs Gate 2,The Longest Journey(including Dreamfall,wich you didn´t)and FFVI along with Shadow of the Colossus at some extent(Ico is pretty good as well).

I haven´t found SH2 story to be that great to be honest,although it was good,just not at the same level as the others.

Bioshock´s story is a rip off of System Shock 2 story and while it´s good,it´s just the same thing that irrational done in 1999,with a few changes.

Mass Effect?No,just no. You may like it a lot,but it´s not even close to be on the same level as the games mentioned so far.

Personally,there´s other games/series that have superb narratives/storytelling such as the Myst series,Soul Reaver/Blood Omen series,Gabriel Knigth,Fallout 2,Ultima VII,among many others.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
great list overall. ill mention metroid prime. it doesnt get a lot of attention because its not filled with superfluous cutscenes and showy monologues, but its great as it unfolds. the gameplay revolves around uncovering the secrets of tallon iv, and thats also the main dynamic of the story as you discover it through environmental abnormalities, indigenous wall etchings, invader computers, and really the very setting you explore. for an added dynamic, the story you uncover through your detective work is a warning of the costs of the space pirate invader's ceaseless thirst for knowledge. its great storytelling fueled by great gameplay.
xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="MetalGearTwin"]

[QUOTE="majadamus"]The Metal Gear Solid series should be up on that list.texasgoldrush

The MGS series is bested by the games listed.... MGS1 and MGS3 are good stories, MGS2 and MGS4 are not as good.

Please explain why Metal Gear shouldn't be added. It's basically one of the best stories gaming has to offer.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="MetalGearTwin"]

xYamatox

Please explain why Metal Gear shouldn't be added. It's basically one of the best stories gaming has to offer.

Because the writing is awful, and it relies very heavily on plot devices as opposed to intelligent story-telling?
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Good job on Silent Hill 2. Missing Xenogears.

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] The MGS series is bested by the games listed.... MGS1 and MGS3 are good stories, MGS2 and MGS4 are not as good.DarkLink77

Because the writing is awful, and it relies very heavily on plot devices as opposed to intelligent story-telling?

You have, PLAYED the whole MGS saga, correct...?

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

Bioshock is on the list, but System Shock isn't? System Shock 2, at least.

Mass Effect made it there, what the :? Wow, this guy is a complete noob.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts
I'd probably throw out Mass Effect, Bioshock and BG2 (none of which I thought were particularly amazing, although Bioshock's the best of the three), and replace them with the Gabriel Knight trilogy, Killer7 and maybe...Max Payne? System Shock 2? I'm not sure.
stevoqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 stevoqwerty
Member since 2006 • 4029 Posts

Bioshock 2's good ending is as epic as HL2: Episode 2's ending. Just incredibly epic. Mass Effect's good ending come close second.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Well i like your choice as number one. But Mass Effect, Final Fantasy..ehhh. I would put something like Hitman, Legacy of Kain,Vampire the Masquarade or Thief 3.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

The darkness should be on the list. Though the storytelling is what really makes the story. But the overall experience is phenomenal.

Avatar image for SexySasquatch11
SexySasquatch11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SexySasquatch11
Member since 2008 • 500 Posts

Silent Hill 2 is a hell of a game but I personally believe Fatal Frame 2 was a better game story and gameplay wise. One of the best games I've ever played.

And why are people always hung up on FF6? I thought the story sucked in it big time. And FF7 did more for JRPGs than any game.

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WhenCicadasCry
Member since 2010 • 2727 Posts

For me, Half Life, Stalker, Killer7, Disgaea 1, Final Fantasy 6, Starcraft, The Witcher, Shadownrun (Snes), Vagrant Story, Planescape: Torment and Deus Ex.

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WhenCicadasCry
Member since 2010 • 2727 Posts

Silent Hill 2 is a hell of a game but I personally believe Fatal Frame 2 was a better game story and gameplay wise. One of the best games I've ever played.

And why are people always hung up on FF6? I thought the story sucked in it big time. And FF7 did more for JRPGs than any game.

SexySasquatch11

The pivitol point where [spoiler] Kefka destroys the world [/spoiler] just blew my mind. Completely unexpected, and went against the cliche of "saving the world".

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hakanakumono

But Kefka doesn't "destroy the world," he just badly damages it and shifts it around. The end of the game in "the world of ruin" is literally gathering party members so you can prevent Kefka from destroying the world i.e. "saving it."

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="SexySasquatch11"]

FFVII - no real narrative theme, a villian with no clear motive, awful pacing, one of the worst character casts in the series, poor script, etc. In fact the story of VII heavily borrows from VI.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="Mograine"]

Bioshock is on the list, but System Shock isn't? System Shock 2, at least.

Mass Effect made it there, what the :? Wow, this guy is a complete noob.

Because Mass Effect has some of the best characterizations I have seen in a game..."The Lair of the Shadow Broker" is just the latest reminder of this.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
You forgot The Witcher.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I would remove Bioshock from that list, and add System Shock 2, which is one of the greatest FPS's ever created, mainly in story.

Would also add the Max Payne series, the noir atmosphere and naration in the game is unrivaled to this day.

Apocalypse482

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Apocalypse482
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
METAL GEAR SOLID FTW!!!!
McLovinPwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 McLovinPwnz
Fallout 3
Apocalypse482

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Apocalypse482
Also Starwars KOTOR. give some props.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Where is Xenogears?
McLovinPwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 McLovinPwnz
Definitely agree with that, KOTOR I & II are two of the best games ever made. You never play it the same way twice.
dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts
METAL GEAR SOLID FTW!!!!Apocalypse482
this!!! where the hell is MGS its the game thats story could be made to a tv show, took ten years to conclude and is the most memorable.
moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
I'd put the KO(TOR) series over Mass Effect to be honest, even though Star Wars started from another medium.
Shinobi7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shinobi7777
Member since 2006 • 1064 Posts

texasgoldrush

FFVII - no real narrative theme, a villian with no clear motive, awful pacing, one of the worst character casts in the series, poor script, etc. In fact the story of VII heavily borrows from VI.

Ur opinion, many would disagree with u.

I would put Chrono Trigger and MGS1 in that list.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 texasgoldrush
You forgot The Witcher.DragonfireXZ95
Actually I considered it....it just missed the cut.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

I would remove Bioshock from that list, and add System Shock 2, which is one of the greatest FPS's ever created, mainly in story.

Would also add the Max Payne series, the noir atmosphere and naration in the game is unrivaled to this day.

Play Bioshock 2's DLC Minerva's Den and see why it was on there. I love SS2 but really, its the SHODAN show.
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

Because Mass Effect has some of the best characterizations I have seen in a game..."The Lair of the Shadow Broker" is just the latest reminder of this.texasgoldrush

That means you don't know much about gaming, not that Mass Effect has a great story.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hakanakumono

texasgoldrush

Stories employ mulitple themes and are not restricted to one "overarching theme." Learn 2 literature. Thank you.

Not that FFVII doesn't have a single most prominent theme; "humans are willing to destroy the world they live in for power, wealth and convenience."

dinuattila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dinuattila
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts

KoTOR I&II and The Witcher should be on that list.

AfterBurnerZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AfterBurnerZ
Member since 2010 • 1304 Posts

It's always funny when gamers pretend video game stories are something other than hilariously bad.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hakanakumono

It's always funny when gamers pretend video game stories are something other than hilariously bad.

AfterBurnerZ

You know, after nearly finishing the x files and watching District 9 recently, I would concede that we're probably more criticial of game stories than movies and television, even though movies and television are "more respectable." There's really not that much of a difference in the level of quality.