To the PC gamers of System Wars. What kind of PC gamer are you?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

DaVillain  Moderator

Poll To the PC gamers of System Wars. What kind of PC gamer are you? (64 votes)

Graphics>Gameplay>Story 3%
Graphics>Story>Gameplay 0%
Gameplay>Graphics>Story 31%
Gameplay>Story>Graphics 19%
Story>Gameplay>Graphics 3%
Story>Graphics>Gameplay 0%
Immersion only matters! 6%
I really don't care, I play anything that I find interesting and most of all, fun! 38%

Food for thoughts:

1. Graphics can be tied with art direction. Not every game needs to be realistic to be called as good graphics.
  2. While immersion can be tied with gameplay, there are several people online that place immersion above the other, so I create a whole different category for this poll.

There's plenty of situations, mostly gameplay and story come first for me, raw graphics are just icing on the cake. And it's not that gameplay and story need to be equal for an individual games, but it depends on the game. I couldn't care less about the story in Dark Souls, but the gameplay is great. I couldn't care less about the gameplay in The Witcher 3 because the story is great. So a game needs to have at least one of those be great for me to enjoy it.

Gameplay=Story>Graphics for me.

• 
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 osan0  Online
Member since 2004 • 17816 Posts

I just play what interests me at the end of the day. it could be a PC melting monster of a game or something that could run on a potato. 2D, 3D, realistic, stylised, RPG, racing, strategy....it matters not. If a game piques my interest then i will get it.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

I play mostly indie games these days.

While I like both Visual Novels and Arcade-style games. I am more drawn to games with good gameplay.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Gameplay, immersion and graphics last. Don't care about story one bit.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

Gameplay matters more than graphics to me. If a game has a great story but sub par gameplay I just watch Let's Plays since I won't feel like I'm missing out on the full experience. Having a good story is a bonus since it can suck me into the game more than graphics.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Immersion. Everything has to come together to create an immersive experience that I enjoy.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@BassMan said:

Immersion. Everything has to come together to create an immersive experience that I enjoy.

TES games are very immersive but kinda shit in the gameplay and story departments.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BassMan  Online

@Juub1990 said:
@BassMan said:

TES games are very immersive but kinda shit in the gameplay and story departments.

As long as you are immersed and enjoying yourself, then enough of the elements are coming together in the right way. No game is perfect.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Gameplay>Graphics>Story

For me gameplay is easily the most important it's what keeps me coming back to the game and graphics help me get immersed as for story it's more of a afterthought most of the time to me. If atmosphere was on this list I would rank it after graphics. Atmosphere is another level of immersion that can really suck me into a games world.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Why is the question for pc gamers only 🤷🏻‍♂️? Why not post it in the pc forum then?

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

I'm addicted to RPG

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Gameplay>Graphics

i was orginally going to put graphics first (cuz im a graphics whore) but then i remembered how much im addicted to Animal Crossing New horizons and that shit looks like a PS2 game but the gameplay keeps me coming back for more, so i changed my answer.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Why choose when a proper game offers all of the above? All i can say is that the story is the least important of the three.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

I play anything no matter what, but for the sake of your poll Gameplay > Graphics > Story.

Why? I mainly play strategy/simulation games. So story is non-existent for me as it doesn't matter. Graphics don't have to be technically great, just a nice UI and art direction.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Why is the question for pc gamers only 🤷🏻‍♂️? Why not post it in the pc forum then?

You be surprise how the outcome turns out and its really for everyone. Never said PC gamers only lol.

Oh and we also had a similar thread many years ago here in SW.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Gameplay first then graphics then story. while story is very important but it should not do that so gameplay take back seat.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Gameplay>Graphics>Story

As I've gotten older I care less and less about story. I just want to play.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Gameplay, followed story and then graphics. Yeah, pretty is nice, but i'd rather be engaged on some level... Otherwise i'm browsing on my phone whilst playing.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

From those options, voted Gameplay>Graphics>Story.

But a rough breakdown for my preferences would be

1. Game design (with many sub-categories that could unfold into a monster post of its own lol)
  2. Performance.
  3. A tie between art direction and music. Would say sound in general, but a lot of that loops back up to game design.
  4. Technical graphics.
  5. .
  6. .
  7. .
  8. ..
  9. ...
  10. Story.

And yeah, don't really see this as some PC gamer thing. Just my thoughts on games in general.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#19 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I'm big on immersion/atmosphere and my favorite games tend to be strong in these areas, but I'll take each game on its merits and try to enjoy it for what it is.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Gameplay >>>> >>>>> graphics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>x3000 story.

I want to press buttons and play a game absolute first, graphics come next after it but i couldn't care if the game is even 2D, story no interest in at all.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69476 Posts

Gameplay and graphics are sometimes tightly knit. Story is nice but not needed.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yeah, thought about listing animation as a separate thing, but that often gets into game feel, communication, feedback, etc. which just loops back into gameplay.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

I'm finding graphics matter less and less as I get older, while gameplay becomes ever more important. That said if Anti-aliasing, pop-in, and framerate fall under the graphics umbrella then it is quite important; absolutely despise jaggies and framerates dipping below 30. Don't know how Nintendo keeps getting away with jagged graphics in this day and age.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44168 Posts

I really don’t care myself. I’ll play anything that I find enjoyable. It can vary depending on the game and how much its strengths offset its weakness. Sometimes the gameplay will be enough to pull me through a game, sometimes its graphics will, and sometimes its story will be enough for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@davillain-: Gameplay = story, really??? if the gameplay is shithouse but has an "excellent" story then the game is a waste of time, may as well turn it into a film.

@Juub1990 said:

Gameplay, immersion and graphics last. Don't care about story one bit.

This guy gets it, and its not what hermits wants its what most gamers should want.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Gameplay > Story > Performance > Graphics for me.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I really don't care. If I had to pick it would probably be gameplay>story>graphics, but I think it depends so much on the game - obviously some games are designed to be spectacles or don't even have a story, while others barely have "gameplay" but that's intended

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#29 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

First option for me, there is a reason why I invested in a GTX 1080. Minimum requirement for me is 1080p at 60fps, if either of those numbers go any lower I buy a new GPU (CPU if needed).

Avatar image for deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts

Voted: I really don't care, I play anything that I find interesting and most of all, fun!

Just because it's entirely genre dependant...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

@BassMan said:

I'm all about immersion too. Graphics and sound are really important for that.

How immersive was Metro Exodus, when suddenly one of the fiercest nuclear storms hit in that game. Lighting, bad visibility, ... I love that stuff!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BassMan  Online

@R4gn4r0k: Yup. :)

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Gameplay above all else. If interacting with the game is wack, the game is wack. I don't care how good the story is at that point, or how good it looks, or how polished it is, or any of that shit. You can not be bad at the defining characteristic of the medium.

There used to be a time where I was more forgiving to games that tried well above their means, or had a neat story n commitment to immersion at the expense of fun systems, but no dice.

That's not to say I can't play it or finish it. I'm playing OG FF7 for effectively what feels like the first time (since I never bothered to beat it), and its charming enough that in a discord chat with friends I'm having a decent time. But I would never touch this game ever again or on my own time. It's fucking mindless.

It's all about the depth of the gameplay: the amount of meaningful decision making the player does in a given possibility space. If that shit is limited or slacking, the game is a one n done at best for me, and that's if I even bother to beat it.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@BassMan said:

I find that more often than not this holds true for me as well. I can get past mediocre gameplay, story or graphics if the overall game has an excellent and immersive atmosphere.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

It depends on the game.

Stardew Valley has great pixel graphics and incredibly deep gameplay.

Metro Exodus probably wouldn't be that good without good graphics.

The Witcher has everything. The graphics, the gameplay, the story. Would it be equally immersive without good graphics? For me, probably it wouldn't.

I would be lying if I told that graphics don't matter. Yeah, I do like it when a game has good graphics, but it purely depends on the game.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#36  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Since the number of times a character or story has impressed me can be counted on one hand and I have played (and had fun with) prototype games, I'd say Gameplay > Graphics/Sound > Story.

Immersion is a big factor for me though. But the immersion can arise from the gameplay without much graphical detail. In Other Waters is a good example of this. I didn't love the game but there was a sense of immersion, even though you are essentially looking at menu's and maps for the entire game. The story didn't have a lot to do with my immersion in that game, but it did help.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

Definitely the last option. I like what I like and give games the best chance I can to enjoy them. Graphics are nice, even technically proficient graphics mean less tome than good art style.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts
@IgGy621985 said:

It depends on the game.

Stardew Valley has great pixel graphics and incredibly deep gameplay.

The Witcher has everything. The graphics, the gameplay, the story. Would it be equally immersive without good graphics? For me, probably it wouldn't.

I would be lying if I told that graphics don't matter. Yeah, I do like it when a game has good graphics, but it purely depends on the game.

Pretty much this to a tee.

Another great example of graphics mattering in that they can enhance the gameplay is with racing games. For a good racer, you really need to be running at your native resolution at 60 FPS minimum. In that sense graphics "matter" but it's really about the core game itself.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I chose the last option. I'll play anything that interests me.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BassMan  Online

@johnd13 said:
@BassMan said:

I find that more often than not this holds true for me as well. I can get past mediocre gameplay, story or graphics if the overall game has an excellent and immersive atmosphere.

Atmosphere is only one element of immersion though. The visuals, audio, controls, gameplay, story, characters, pacing, world building, technical performance, etc... all contribute to the immersion. It's about the overall experience. When you are fully immersed in a game and there is little that pulls you out of that experience, you know the game is good.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jg4xchamp

@IgGy621985 said:

\

Not dunking on Metro specifically when I say this, but if the only thing good about the game is how it looks, it isn't good.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

@jg4xchamp: Graphics can really be tied to your emotions in a game. It might not be a stellar shooter that sets itself apart in a saturated market but the post apocalyptic world and immersive stunning graphics can easily set it apart.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

As long as I enjoy playing the game nothing really matters.

To me its:

DO I enjoy the game/gamplay --> framerate/stability ---> everything else

If it looks good and has a good story line its a bonus.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@IgGy621985 said:

\

Not dunking on Metro specifically when I say this, but if the only thing good about the game is how it looks, it isn't good.

Where did I say it's the only good thing about the game?

I'm simply saying that the graphics are a big part of the immersion in the game.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Story is most important for me.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jg4xchamp

@wizard said:

@jg4xchamp: Graphics can really be tied to your emotions in a game. It might not be a stellar shooter that sets itself apart in a saturated market but the post apocalyptic world and immersive stunning graphics can easily set it apart.

Sounds like a game that's only good at the superficial shit instead of having any substance.