Tips for a BF4 noob

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

Guys I am trying, really trying to play BF4 and enjoy it, but it seems like the learning curve and my time with CoD are stunting my BF4 growth. Anyone out there want to share some tips for success?

Over the years I have played CoD much, much, much more than any BF game. I really want to learn BF4 and all of its nuances. It is such a beautiful, realistic looking game that I feel compelled to get good at it.

Is there a class that is better suited for a noobie player? What gametypes are best for someone who is new to the BF arena?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

stop playing as a sniper you sissy

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

engineering starting weapon is better than most.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Use Assault with M416 (which is very quick/easy to unlock). That is all~~

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

point gun at doritos, shoot gun, points

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Go back to CoD.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts

Here's some advice, try and shoot people on the outskirts of the map. Be Patient, and DO NOT BE A NERVOUS NELLY. 5 rules of battlefield....dodge, dip, dive, duck, and dodge.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@lostrib said:

point gun at doritos, shoot gun, points

+1 for use of doritos

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

Stop playing CoD and you will get progressively better at BF4. Learn how to fly the Little Bird well. Don't rooftop snipe. Don't run and gun, stick with your squadmates. Always spot and give orders (as squad leader/commander).

All these guns are quality: MTAR, ACE 23, ACE 52 CQB, AK 5C, SCAR, M416

To get a good score: Play assault and stick with squad to provide revives/healing and attack objectives.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

A good squad kills more, dies less, and gets lots of points for teamwork and capturing control points. If you get auto-added to a squad that's terrible and isn't working together (a squad all snipers spread out on different corners of the map is bad a sign) then join a different squad. Once you're in that squad, stick with them. You're way more likely to capture a control point if you go in with a bunch of people. There' can be a lot of people on a map (and sometimes lots of vehicles), so you're generally just going to die a lot if you keep running into places head-first by yourself.

And like Zoso said, always spot. It makes the enemy show up on your team's radar, which makes it a lot more likely that they'll killed. You can also get points if you spot someone, and someone else kills that person shortly after.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

(1) First of, **** Conquest, stick with Rush and you'll earn points quicker.

(2) Play with friends, or make friends, you can do better working with a decent team than by yourself, if you have none then join a bigger squad

(3) Play on a decent system, this is the first BF I'm playing on the PS3 and I absolutely hate the controls and the chat options and the graphics are shit, I can barely hear other people's stupid blu-tooth headsets and they can barely hear me, if you've an Xbox 360, X1, or PS4, or PC then you're probably doing it right.

(4) There's more ways to earn XP than just killing. Assault get big points for reviving and healing, find a nice area where several people are camping up in constant engagement, drop health packs and revive anybody that dies. You'll constantly get healing and reviving points, and you can join in and get kills if you want.

(5) Engineers can get big point by taking out armor and the passengers in them. You can use rockets or mines to do the trick. There's also a repair tool that gives good XP, just find a tank that likes to stay still but will take on other armor and go toe to toe with them, if you stay behind and repair you'll not only get XP but keep the tank alive to win against other armor, and if no other anti-armor is around you can hop in and man the gun.

(6) Support is good because it usually gets the LMGs and you can resupply your own ammo. And like with the medic, if you find guys camping a hot spot you can keep them well supplied with ammo which can run scarce when they're trying to maintain fire superiority, which means lots of support XP.

(7) Snipers, sniping is hard and if you're not good at it don't bother, there's enough ruined matches going around because like more than half the team wants to be the sniper so they just sit back doing nothing the whole match to get 3 kills. Snipers can be devastating in close quarters, especially with C4. As a sniper you can put C4 on a fast vehicle, drive it into a tank, bale and take out the tank, or two. It's an awesome demoralizing tactic. Snipers are also great for setting up spawn points which is good in rush if you want to keep spawning next to a crucial objective, and you get XP when team members use the spawn point. They can also use recon scanners to find enemies nearby and you get XP for those kills for spotting.

(8) always spot enemies, if you see them on the map press the button that spots them (where you see the red triangle), that way you can track them better and if not then someone else on the team knows they're they're and can defend themselves or get the kill if needed.

(9) shoot even if you can't kill them, you can often do damage and you'll suppress them, that way if someone else takes them out it's better than just the 100 for a kill, you'll get like 200 because you spot bonus, get suppression points in assisting the kill, and you get your share of the damage for the kill

(10) be mindful of fire modes, going fully automatic is a good way to get fast kills in close quarters but you'll waste ammo, and need to reload often, and find yourself reloading when you face the guys friends, I personally prefer single shots or maybe a two shot burst

(11) know how to quick draw pistol, I've lost count how many times me and another guy will waste ammo trying to take each other out and then when we're both reloading I just switch to pistol and take them out, the pistol can be very deadly if you use it right. Don't waste time with that heavy revolver you want something with a faster rate of fire that can aim accurately, reload quickly, and has a higher ammo capacity.

(12) before diving into MP look over any upgrades you got from your last MP session, maybe you didn't notice that one of your soldier classes got a upgrade on a mods for new weapons or maybe a new skill item, and set your soldier classes up with what you need before you go into a new MP session so you're good and ready and don't have to switch that stuff out mid game

(13) you get more points for supporting your squad than rest of team

(14) don't favor one class, learn to mix it up, upgrade all classes so they're strong enough to call on when you need them, there might at times be too many of a certain role (especially shitty snipers) so pick a needed role

(15) tags may be fun to get but don't forget they can now counter-assassinate so it may now just be better to shoot someone

(16) kill cams suck now so don't bother teabagging they might not see it

(17) I don't know if BF4 has private rented servers like BF3 but if you find yourself on one don't humiliate admins or they'll kick you out... unless you take pride in knifing the admin and teabagging him like me, I especially reveled in teabagging the armor the admin was in when I C4'd his ass

(18) despite popular belief, weed is a performance enhancing drug when it comes to games, so if you're of age and live in an area of legalized recreational usage than at least if you don't improve your game you'll find yourself enjoying your ass-woopings more

(19) need to play hours upon hours ever day

(20) break up with your girlfriend / get divorced first

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Just give up

AFK IRL

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

(Sniping on Floodzone, on flags B and C). I really hate the bad rep snipers get. Even if they were camping or sniping on buildings/edges of the map, people can play the game the way they want. They paid for the game and it isn't up to anyone else to dictate that.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Try weapons with high stability (like the assault's starting one). They are my favourite.

Do not run and gun, try to be close to your squad or team mates, giving them medikits, ammo boxes, etc).

Again, there are many ways to be a good player without just having a good k/d ratio (objectives, spot enemies, medikits, ammo boxes, etc)

If you are playing conquest, for example, spend some time defending a flag. It's an acceptable way to be a camper since you are helping your team's cause, and you get many kills.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@lonewolf604 said:

@mems_1224 said:

(Sniping on Floodzone, on flags B and C). I really hate the bad rep snipers get. Even if they were camping or sniping on buildings/edges of the map, people can play the game the way they want. They paid for the game and it isn't up to anyone else to dictate that.

I was mostly joking but dudes that sit far away from the battle and just snipe in one spot are annoying, especially when they're on your team because they usually don't tag vehicles or contribute anything to the team. I love going out of my way and taking their dog tags lol. The worst part is when you play alone and join a game and your entire squad is made up of snipers doing nothing.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@lonewolf604 said:

@mems_1224 said:

I was mostly joking but dudes that sit far away from the battle and just snipe in one spot are annoying, especially when they're on your team because they usually don't tag vehicles or contribute anything to the team. I love going out of my way and taking their dog tags lol. The worst part is when you play alone and join a game and your entire squad is made up of snipers doing nothing.

Those guys do get annoying, that's why I switch squads. Most of my kills I was able to get because my guys already damaged the enemy.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

Cool! thanks for the advice guys! The hardest thing for me right now when playing BF4 is to unlearn everything I do in CoD. BF4 is a completely different beast and CoD tactics don't work.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

You will suck until you get a decent gun and get a couple of upgrades on the gun to help with the stability and accuracy. As someone above said, stay close to your team mates.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Start with ... i think tis assault, anyways, medic. Stay near groups of people, heal them, unlcok defib, and start reviving. Once you get good at that you'll already be raking in teh points, and gaining experience killing on the game while helping your teams tickets stay up to win the match. You'll be able to catch on to the pace of the game easier that way too.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
@lhughey said:

You will suck until you get a decent gun and get a couple of upgrades on the gun to help with the stability and accuracy. As someone above said, stay close to your team mates.

AK5C is an awesome balanced weapon that you get in one match so no need to wait ages to unlock something good

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

Practise a bit first and foremost.

Imo get for an assault rifle:

- Canted iron sights

- Bipod

- A medium range scope

Use the canted iron sights for any close range engagement as they snap in really quickly which is what you need especially with the aim assist on console.

At any kind of far range lying down or crouching behind cover using the bipod and 4x scope gives you the accuracy of a sniper but with auto fire, you're a killing machine if you pick your spot right as their's no kick at all especially if you switch to single or burst fire.

That set up will keep you most effective at all ranges rather than just picking one of short, medium or long range.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

Recon with Sniper rifle is a bit difficult at first until you get a straight pull upgrade to your rifle (requires 50 kills with your rifle).

If you wish to pick Recon, then stick with the first rifle and don't switch to other rifles that you unlock along the way until you unlock SRR-61 (the bada$$ of all sniper rifles), then use that instead moving forward.

Also, to upgrade quickly, play small maps (domination) and don't use any optics on your sniper rifle, just use the normal iron sight for aiming.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I didn't see if this was put in already, but if not, it's HUGE.

BURST. Burst...burst. Don't ever lay down on a trigger, no matter what gun you are using. Burst...

Ignore gun tips...as you unlock things, try them, and figure out what works for you. BF4 doesn't seem to have "better" weapons like it used to (bf3) and everything is more personable.

Lastly...Team deathmatch...go slow, take your time, get a feel for things. You'll get lots of points/unlocks in there, and you'll be a better player for when you join objective games (rush, conquest, etc) and your' teammates will like you more.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Some great replies. I was playing BF4 on my PS3 and new to it, so this helped.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

Buy COD Ghosts.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

@Masculus said:

Buy COD Ghosts.

LOL. The XBone version started working pretty solid for me yesterday. The update was released.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@CleanPlayer said:

Here's some advice, try and shoot people on the outskirts of the map. Be Patient, and DO NOT BE A NERVOUS NELLY. 5 rules of battlefield....dodge, dip, dive, duck, and dodge.

lol

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Cool! thanks for the advice guys! The hardest thing for me right now when playing BF4 is to unlearn everything I do in CoD. BF4 is a completely different beast and CoD tactics don't work.

One thing I learned from playing a lot of COD was taking the twitch up close game play skills and applying it when I get an up close encounter in BF4. I can react much faster in those close quarter battles but that's all.

I generally stick to my squad or in other groups as much as possible. Reviving and throwing down med packs is my 1st priority as long as we're going for the objectives. Take it slow and the game will come to you.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

Yes, Repackage and return to retailer.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Play TDM for a while to unlock stuff for the guns and get used to just shooting people.