Timothy Lottes (FXAA/TXAA creator) joins Epic's render team

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

John Carmack should join them too, and whomever the lead graphics tech devevelopers at Crytek, DICE, and Quantic Dream :P 

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

source

After an amazing 3+ years at NVIDIA, decided to do something new, this is my first week at Epic, joined their awesome render team!

Timothy Lottes (@TimothyLottes) April 16, 2013

gaf

Good pickup for EPIC?

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

hopefully they'll figure out how to make UE4 run properly on the ps4 despite the console's obvious limitations. :(

MSXBOX4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MSXBOX4EVER
Member since 2012 • 604 Posts

hopefully they'll figure out how to make UE4 run properly on the ps4 despite the console's obvious limitations. :(

KarateeeChop

dreams are free buddy

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

KarateeeChop
Just buy a PC.
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"]

John Carmack should join them too, and whomever the lead graphics tech devevelopers at Crytek & DICE :P 

PernicioEnigma

Why would you want all the best in one dev team? It's good to have them spread out.

So we could see mind bending graphics :), & i forgot to mention the lead devs from Quantic Dream

Also, why it's good to have them spread out?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Nice, he's pretty damn talented.  On a side note I hope we find the gold standard of AA soon this gen.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

John Carmack should join them too, and whomever the lead graphics tech devevelopers at Crytek & DICE :P 

Mystery_Writer
Why would you want all the best in one dev team? It's good to have them spread out.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

TXAA is overrated by Nvidia. It doesn't render well and it doesn't improve quality that much.

FXAA is pretty good. There are some poor FXAA algorithms and some quite good ones. Nothing beats good ol' MSAA but that takes tons of extra rendering time and isn't really useful if you want to push hardware to its limit.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
What the hell is TXAA and FXAA?
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

TXAA is overrated by Nvidia. It doesn't render well and it doesn't improve quality that much.

FXAA is pretty good. There are some poor FXAA algorithms and some quite good ones. Nothing beats good ol' MSAA but that takes tons of extra rendering time and isn't really useful if you want to push hardware to its limit.

Wasdie

TXAA is a pretty amazing step forward in AA.  if you want filmic quality, that is smoothed look like you see on films vs. sharpness, it's shaping to be incredible and works to absolutely decimate jaggies.  Then again, games aren't supposed to look like movies really, but...

Post process AA will never match hardware, no, but Lottes has been a big part in making strides in post process.  By the time post process fully grows into something as a perfect alternative to hardware though, we'll have super high resolutions like 4K and definitely 8k which will make AA totally unnecessary, unless you want a filmic look maybe.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

What the hell is TXAA and FXAA?clyde46

TXAA  is Nvidia's proprietary AA method that runs specifically on their hardware. It's supposed to have great quality at a small performance hit. However I've never actually seen the benefits of it. Devs usually don't bother supporting hardware specific tech either.

FXAA is much more common. It's fast but a much lower quality. However with modern graphics being more rounded and detailed, the amount of jaggied edges on the screen is already lower so FXAA is usually good enough to wipe the remaining few out with little performance hit. FXAA is not hardware specific and there are dozens of implementations of FXAA that range in quality

Most games today use an FXAA because it's so cheap. You can also get FXAA injectors that add FXAA to pretty much any game. Nvidia even has a way to force their own FXAA implementation on pretty much every game. 

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"]What the hell is TXAA and FXAA?Wasdie

TXAA  is Nvidia's proprietary AA method that runs specifically on their hardware. It's supposed to have great quality at a small performance hit. However I've never actually seen the benefits of it. Devs usually don't bother supporting hardware specific tech either.

FXAA is much more common. It's fast but a much lower quality. However with modern graphics being more rounded and detailed, the amount of jaggied edges on the screen is already lower so FXAA is usually good enough to wipe the remaining few out with little performance hit. FXAA is not hardware specific and there are dozens of implementations of FXAA that range in quality

Most games today use an FXAA because it's so cheap. You can also get FXAA injectors that add FXAA to pretty much any game. Nvidia even has a way to force their own FXAA implementation on pretty much every game. 

Ty for the info. I never bothered with the different types of AA. FC3 has a boat load of those options, all of which killed my performance. MSAA etc.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

KarateeeChop
true :(
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Wasdie
I would disagree.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Nice, he's pretty damn talented.  On a side note I hope we find the gold standard of AA soon this gen.

Chozofication
I hope so, every game should have AA.