Time Magazine Calls Gamers Unhealthy and Unpopular + More

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GarchomPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GarchomPro
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
http://games.gearlive.com/playfeed/article/q107-time-magazines-cover-feature-on-halo-3-draws-fire/

Time Magazine has Halo 3 on their cover this week but the feature inside the magazine, written by Lev Grossman, has raised the hackles on the necks of several game writers. Dan Zuccarelli from Bits, Bytes, Pixels and Sprites takes Grossman to task for what he feels is an ill-researched piece. It's not hard to see where Zuccarelli is coming from. In the third paragraph the Time article calls Halo 2 an Xbox 360 exclusive and the inset graphic (reprinted on BBPS) shows a fan mod Xbox 360 featuring Halo 3 artwork rather than the actual Halo 3 Special Edition Xbox 360, not to mention mis-labeling the Heroclix Scarab as merely a "sculpture."

What really has some people frothing though is Grossman's obvious bias against gamers that seeps from nearly every paragraph as he repeatedly refers to them as antisocial, unhealthy, unpopular and even twice refers to gamers as residing in a ghetto. It's not clear whether he refers to a literal ghetto or if he's being metaphorical, but either way it doesn't seem particularly balanced or neutral in tone.

Wat a bunch of noobs. And no i dont live in the Ghetto.

MrDziekuje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 MrDziekuje
Member since 2004 • 7730 Posts

I love when people write articles about things they don't have a clue about. Especially when they're paid to do it for a major magazine. :D

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Funny. I lost 10 pounds last year, I am in college, I have a girlfriend, and I have more friends than ever before. I game at least 20 hours a week.

jack_russel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jack_russel
Member since 2004 • 6544 Posts

I love when people write articles about things they don't have a clue about. Especially when they're paid to do it for a major magazine. :D

MrDziekuje
EGM?
Viviath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Viviath
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
Yeah times magazine is the worst mag when it comes to games. I remember they had a big rant about how bad the PS2 was and how it was going to be an abysmal failure...yeah look how that turned out.
jackvegas21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jackvegas21
Member since 2007 • 3157 Posts
The guy who wrote is probably a bitter 40-year old virgin himself. Game Informer>>> Time
GarchomPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GarchomPro
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
[QUOTE="MrDziekuje"]

jack_russel
EGM?

:lol: Win
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
Wow talk about Generalizing
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Most of the gamers i know are VERY social, healthy, and popular.. none of them are from the Ghetto. I'll admit, im a bit plum yeah, but im not obese.. Jeez, what a jerk.
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts
People, stereotyping is wrong. I don't live in the ghetto, I'm popular, I'm healthy, and I'm very popular.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Hmmm, weird. I'm in good physical shape, I have a fiance, and friends. Oh well.
Avatar image for ---OkeyDokey---
---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ---OkeyDokey---
Member since 2007 • 3318 Posts
yeah well, i call him an old fart
De_Bears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 De_Bears
Member since 2002 • 1593 Posts

Some gamers are but so are journalists, or Doctors, or policemen, or lawyers, or teachers.

The guy watches too much TV. Stereotypes suck. Video games are not the bastion of the nerdy anymore. Its way more mainstream today than it was ten years ago. Online gaming is a new for of ineracting with other people digitally.

adam_1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 adam_1_basic
Member since 2002 • 1154 Posts
umm let me start this out, im pretty sure he manes hardcore gamers, and they are unpopular, people do play games, but most people arent hardcore. u guys think people who arent hardcore dont know games, like when they said the wii is the best system out, if it gets people of all ages that the xbox 360 and ps3 cant do than the wii is pretty special
Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts
im a physically fit married popular gamer that lives in the burbs...lol....he's so wrong
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

He has low self-esteem.

Poor guy.

adam_1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 adam_1_basic
Member since 2002 • 1154 Posts
yes u guys are different, but not everyone is like u, they mean the majority
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts
I think you are taking it out of contex...i read the article....and all it says is that a stereotype exists.....it never says anything about it being true.
Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts
Read the article people. The author says that these are the cliches of gaming (unhealthy, antisocial, etc). Ghetto was a metaphor for gaming being a sub-culture, and this article is really about Halo becoming hugely successful, and also games becoming more like art and moving beyond the cliches.
iamshivy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 iamshivy
Member since 2007 • 3565 Posts
yup all gamers live in the getto, LOL.. born an raised on the street playing my game boys
kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts
Funny! I am happily married, father to 3 children, have a 5 bedroom house, workout 30 minutes 4-5 times a week and still game atleast 15-20 hours a week!! Some people read books, some draw, some paint and some garden. I play games!!! That doesnt make me a social deviate!!!
AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts
Sony fans are the most social and attractive to the ladies , It's a scientific fact :wink:
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vyse_The_Daring

Read the article people. The author says that these are the cliches of gaming (unhealthy, antisocial, etc). Ghetto was a metaphor for gaming being a sub-culture, and this article is really about Halo becoming hugely successful, and also games becoming more like art and moving beyond the cliches. Vyse_The_Daring

Quoted for people who not only won't read the article but who also won't go to the bottom of the first page.

Hitamaru-homia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Hitamaru-homia
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts
Well blame the guy who racks up 60+ hours a week on halo 2. or the guy who eats chili dogs and play Smash all day or the future guy who cant put the controller down while playing Warhawk. Theres always going to be that ONE guy who 'effs the game-ing industry up.
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

If I was thin andhad friends I would get off the couch and we'd gokick their arses!

CrazyCarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CrazyCarter
Member since 2007 • 522 Posts

im in good physical shape and getting better. getting a 6 pack takesa whilebut when i do i'll take a pic of myselfstanding next to my entertainment centerand send it to that mag. lol. im not antisocial but do prefer to keep it to myself sometimes. i don't have a girlfriend nor do i want one. had some bad experiences in the past. so based on this gamer the guy who wrote that article is full of ****. i know people around my age with babies and they still play games. so based onthose guys the guy who wrote that article is full of ****.

i think we can all conclude that the guy who wrote that article is full of ****.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

I read the Time article on Halo. I snorted when the writer described Halo as having a rich and deep storyline, very unlike what we're used to seeing in video games. He goes on to say something like 'This isn't an Italian plumber who's girlfriend got kidnapped by a gorilla.' For the record, btw, The hero in Donkey Kong was named 'Jumpman,' and he was a carpenter. His girlfriend was named Pauline. In the second game, his name became Mario, and he was the bad guy (but still a carpenter). It wasn't until the third game featuring Mario, 'Mario Bros.' that he, along with his new brother Luigi, became a plumber. Take that, TIME magazine!

Now I'm not saying Halo doesn't have a good story. But what its not is ome kind of groundbreaking achievement. Apparently, this guy hasn't played a game since Donkey Kong hit the arcades, and is under the impression that that's as deep as video game storylines go. The esteemed writer is also under the impression that Halo, and the franchise as a whole, are the best selling video games ever. Halo sales aren't shabby, but nowhere near best ever.

GGNoRematch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GGNoRematch
Member since 2007 • 368 Posts

I have no friends and I'm 5'5 250 pounds..

do I fit this article?

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ---OkeyDokey---

Well blame the guy who racks up 60+ hours a week on halo 2. or the guy who eats chili dogs and play Smash all day or the future guy who cant put the controller down while playing Warhawk. Theres always going to be that ONE guy who 'effs the game-ing industry up.Hitamaru-homia

don't forget the world of warcraft addicts

there are some at my school.

their all pale and acne infested and overweight. they make all gamers look bad.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Saddam Hussen Time's man of the year about 25 years ago or so? Nice call Time magazine.
GGNoRematch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GGNoRematch

[QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"]Read the article people. The author says that these are the cliches of gaming (unhealthy, antisocial, etc). Ghetto was a metaphor for gaming being a sub-culture, and this article is really about Halo becoming hugely successful, and also games becoming more like art and moving beyond the cliches. Vyse_The_Daring

Quoted for people who not only won't read the article but who also won't go to the bottom of the first page.

exactly.. it's like the entire thing he put was misquoted..Kind of like that one post that said a CoD4 said there's no PS3 game that can compete with it..

_MURS_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 _MURS_
Member since 2007 • 2342 Posts
replace gamers with fanboys and he is correct
ED898AA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ED898AA
Member since 2007 • 239 Posts

It's different for everyone.

I'm at a healthy weight not under weight or over weight, but I am not that popular at all.

I perfer to stay out of the limelight.

I'm not a people person, I consider some of them to be evil.

But I like it that way, Solidtary and indepenant of the world.

Because people are unreliable, undependable monsters.

funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 funnymario
Member since 2005 • 9122 Posts
HAHAHAHA, I'll just continue to never buy that magazine again :)
MrDziekuje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#35 MrDziekuje
Member since 2004 • 7730 Posts

I have no friends and I'm 5'5 250 pounds..

do I fit this article?

GGNoRematch

...Zach?

GGNoRematch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GGNoRematch

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Saddam Hussen Time's man of the year about 25 years ago or so? Nice call Time magazine.Riverwolf007

ya.. and wasn't 50 cent times magazine of the year? or did 50 win a similar award from somwhere else..

alxy_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 alxy_07
Member since 2004 • 1342 Posts
well perhaps time is talking about the hardcore gamers who make fun of 'casuals' for not being dedicated enough and stay away from any sort of physcial activity, and only get together with friends to play games ; ) ; 0. I agree, sitting around for hours on end playing games is unhealthy. And show me how many hardcore gamers have attractive girlfriends. haha
xDonRobx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xDonRobx
Member since 2007 • 1586 Posts
http://games.gearlive.com/playfeed/article/q107-time-magazines-cover-feature-on-halo-3-draws-fire/

Time Magazine has Halo 3 on their cover this week but the feature inside the magazine, written by Lev Grossman, has raised the hackles on the necks of several game writers. Dan Zuccarelli from Bits, Bytes, Pixels and Sprites takes Grossman to task for what he feels is an ill-researched piece. It's not hard to see where Zuccarelli is coming from. In the third paragraph the Time article calls Halo 2 an Xbox 360 exclusive and the inset graphic (reprinted on BBPS) shows a fan mod Xbox 360 featuring Halo 3 artwork rather than the actual Halo 3 Special Edition Xbox 360, not to mention mis-labeling the Heroclix Scarab as merely a "sculpture."

What really has some people frothing though is Grossman's obvious bias against gamers that seeps from nearly every paragraph as he repeatedly refers to them as antisocial, unhealthy, unpopular and even twice refers to gamers as residing in a ghetto. It's not clear whether he refers to a literal ghetto or if he's being metaphorical, but either way it doesn't seem particularly balanced or neutral in tone.

GarchomPro

After that, who really cares what they say? I'm not the most healthy person, but neither are my friends and they don't even play games. All they do is smoke and drink, so TIME is trying to tell me that my friends are healthier than me? Popular? ha, sure.

Who created this stereotype that gamers are nerds that have no friends and can't get into a sexual relationship?

PS: Ghettos aren't technically bad. Ghetto has alot of definitions and he probably means this one:

any mode of living, working, etc., that results from stereotyping or biased treatment:

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

I just recently retired as President of my University's 2 largest/most important student-run organizations...and the National Executive Board of the largest student-run organization in the world.

And I'm in a frat and coordinated the best parties evar.

And I just picked up a phone number from some cute chick walking through the grocery store.

Oh well. I guess there's always one that doesn't fit the mold right. Or maybe their mold f'ing sucks ;)

G10mgs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 G10mgs4
Member since 2007 • 1490 Posts

GarchomPro

well this very mush discribes they way lemming are, i mean look around. Its not like there not telling the truth, its just that most of the gamers who own 360, just for halo are the people who arfe unhealthy, and very very unpopular.

oh well for lemmings.

me my self, ima g

Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vyse_The_Daring
[QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"]

[QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"]Read the article people. The author says that these are the cliches of gaming (unhealthy, antisocial, etc). Ghetto was a metaphor for gaming being a sub-culture, and this article is really about Halo becoming hugely successful, and also games becoming more like art and moving beyond the cliches. GGNoRematch

exactly.. it's like the entire thing he put was misquoted..Kind of like that one post that said a CoD4 said there's no PS3 game that can compete with it..

This is system wars, everyone would rather get their post count higher and post about how awesome they are than read something. But hey, at least you noticed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
deactivated-5f89ab8e63049

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts

Read the article people. The author says that these are the cliches of gaming (unhealthy, antisocial, etc). Ghetto was a metaphor for gaming being a sub-culture, and this article is really about Halo becoming hugely successful, and also games becoming more like art and moving beyond the cliches. Vyse_The_Daring

That's pretty much what I wanted to say. Darn it.

ED898AA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ED898AA
Member since 2007 • 239 Posts

[QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"]Read the article people. The author says that these are the cliches of gaming (unhealthy, antisocial, etc). Ghetto was a metaphor for gaming being a sub-culture, and this article is really about Halo becoming hugely successful, and also games becoming more like art and moving beyond the cliches. SpigleyMcCheese

That's pretty much what I wanted to say. Darn it.

Reading FTW

Cliches:lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-57d773aa56272
deactivated-57d773aa56272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-57d773aa56272
Member since 2006 • 2292 Posts
I got served.
BION1CK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BION1CK
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts
Unhealthy...check, unpopular...check. Wow these guys were right on the money. Good job Time magazine.
myster_samz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 myster_samz
Member since 2006 • 584 Posts
**** that ****head.
xboxrox11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 xboxrox11
Member since 2004 • 1143 Posts

"Not that the Bungies care. They don't need to legitimize Halo by associating it with other, more respectable media. They sell enough units and make enough money. They're happy in their invisible geek ghetto. But that's the logic of the marketplace: it can't leave subcultures alone; it has to turn them into cultures. It may be time for the Master Chief to come in from the cold and join the party, with the popular kids. Just don't expect him to take off his helmet."

i think this is the worst paragraph in the whole article, its ridiculous.

jd7-03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 jd7-03
Member since 2003 • 6140 Posts
What the hell!? While this is system wars all gamers can agree that this article blows and is a direct attack against gamers. All of my friends are gamers, attend college, and don't get in trouble, whats wrong with that? Is it really that bad to play games instead of going to parties and getting hammered? Many popular kids from high school have dropped out, became heavy drinkers, don't have jobs, and already have children, is that popular? While I play games, go to lan parties (heck my buddies and I threw a big LAN instead of going to prom back in HS,lol)and like computers I' am attending college, have done an internship and I'm about to make 40-50k a yearat 20? Is that not cool TIMES?
---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ---OkeyDokey---

Unhealthy...check, unpopular...check. Wow these guys were right on the money. Good job Time magazine.BION1CK

seriously?

i really don't know anyone can be unpopular, everyone goes to school and college and all that. its impossible for me to not make any friends.