This is why PC gaming isn't all it's cracked up to be.

• 146 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

The new idea of Early Access and Kickstarter games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SqA1DgQVeg

So...another game got pulled from Steam for being completely broken. Only on PC will something like this happen. And it seems PC gamers are totally for it....until they can't play exactly what they knew they were getting into.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Its a broken game.... Its not like consoles have broken games...... Keep reaching though.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61525 Posts

It's not all it's cracked up to be, because it was terrible, thus Steam removed it and removed their Steam developer tag? Righto.

No doubt issues exist, along with every platform.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

This topic is fucking stupid.

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

HUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH? So some game gets pulled on steam and apparently its the end of the world? LAWL. Never even heard of this game before.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Steam can do what they want. It is complete bullshit. While xbox and playstation are bullshit on the surface, Steam is bullshit underneath. Having the ability to change a tos on pre existing game licenses one paid for in the past doesn't even seem legal to me.

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Damien-
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts

pc has no big budget, quality exclusives; most, if not all, are just bargain bin games

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

oh yeah early access is a funny one. i welcome an early access program, i own a few games that are in early access - i'm not disappointed yet but i am a pretty discerning fellow.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lundy86_4

@-Damien- said:

pc has no big budget, quality exclusives; most, if not all, are just bargain bin games

You're gonna need to prove that, yo.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Their fault for not updating it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@lundy86_4: he can't

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

It's not hard to ignore the shit games out there.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lundy86_4

@lostrib: Exactly my suspicion. It's always good to hear the admission.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clyde46

@lostrib said:

@lundy86_4: he can't

And never will.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

An open system is just terrible. PC gaming would be much better if Sony/MS were approving and licensing all games.

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -Damien-

@lundy86_4 said:

@-Damien- said:

no need to prove, it's a general consensus, like how can you proof water is wet?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lostrib

@-Damien-: when was this general consensus made?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lundy86_4

@-Damien- said:

no need to prove, it's a general consensus, like how can you proof water is wet?

I can't "proof" water is wet. I can only prove it. Still, burden of proof is on you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@-Damien-: I wouldn't say there are no quality exclusives. However you are right about there not being any big budget high quality games. It is as if developers have lost faith in the platform. Ten years ago the pc was the starting point in a lot of peoples eyes. Now it is just an after thought most of the time. When enormous culturally significant games like Grand Theft Auto 5 are skipping pc, you know there is an issue. Come to think of it I cant think of ONE big budget exclusive pc game. .

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@commonfate said:

An open system is just terrible. PC gaming would be much better if Sony/MS were approving and licensing all games.

lmao

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lundy86_4

@Heirren said:

@-Damien-: I wouldn't say there are no quality exclusives. However you are right about there not being any big budget high quality games. It is as if developers have lost faith in the platform. Ten years ago the pc was the starting point in a lot of peoples eyes. Now it is just an after thought most of the time. When enormous culturally significant games like Grand Theft Auto 5 are skipping pc, you know there is an issue. Come to think of it I cant think of ONE big budget exclusive pc game. .

Star Citizen?

Also, GTAV is coming to PC.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@-Damien- said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@-Damien- said:

Christ the anti-PC liars are getting really damn stupid.

Explain Blizzard, Feraxis, Sega, Epic, etc. big budget PC exclusives. Did you know that at MC 48% of high scoring PS4 games are indy titles?

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Damien-

@Heirren said:

yup, pc is just an after-thought, secondary platform. When developers want to squeeze profit out of an already-released game, they make pc version 1-2 years later to get some extra bucks

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib

I'm not really seeing an issue here

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By clyde46

@Heirren said:

As Lundy said. Star Citizen says hi.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostrib

@-Damien-: please stop lying

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By -Damien-

@lostrib said:

lying? see Dark Souls, GTAV just a couple of examples

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By commonfate

@Heirren said:

PC games don't need to be big budget to have big returns. There's no need for licensing/publishing fees/dev kits/ridiculous ad costs. Surprises crop up all the time through word of mouth, it's an inherent trait of the platform. Not to mention PC communities are really impressive. Steady slow streams of sales keep communities active and people playing all manners of games whereas console devs/pubs gotta make various remasters to see any kind of secondary income.

It's a silly notion to write off the platform for. PC gaming isn't relevant/viable/w.e you're trying to argue because half of a game's budget doesn't go into the above costs? How is that possibly a fault?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
@Heirren said:

You do know its heading to the PC right? nothing is being skipped. And to answer your question..the total war series

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@-Damien- said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@-Damien- said:

Christ the anti-PC liars are getting really damn stupid.

Explain Blizzard, Feraxis, Sega, Epic, etc. big budget PC exclusives. You know at MC 50% of high scoring PS4 games are indy titles?

I like pc more than both the xbox one and ps4. PS4 is a piece of shit right now. I was going to mention Starcraft, but who knows what the budget is on that. Sega? Fact of the matter is that the console market sees these releases on a regular basis. PC had Crysis in ............................2007. Star Citizen, is that even big budget, feels like the first game in 7 years that pc fanboys are hyping up. Facts are facts. GTA came out on consoles to make money. The pc is like watching Seinfeld on local syndication.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clyde46
@-Damien- said:

@lostrib said:

Stop lying. They are on PC.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lundy86_4

@-Damien- said:

yup, pc is just an after-thought, secondary platform. When developers want to squeeze profit out of an already-released game, they make pc version 1-2 years later to get some extra bucks

That doesn't exactly refute the number of exclusives. That being said, answer my last post:

@lundy86_4 said:

@-Damien- said:

I can't "proof" water is wet. I can only prove it. Still, burden of proof is on you, dimwit.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lostrib

@-Damien-: so one developer generalizes all developers. Even though Sony has been prioritizing PC for some of their games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@commonfate said:

@Heirren said:

PC games don't need to be big budget to have big returns. There's no need for licensing/publishing fees/dev kits/ridiculous ad costs. Surprises crop up all the time through word of mouth, it's an inherent trait of the platform. Not to mention PC communities are really impressive. Steady slow streams of sales keep communities active and people playing all manners of games whereas console devs/pubs gotta make various remasters to see any kind of secondary income.

It's a silly notion to write off the platform for. PC gaming isn't relevant/viable/w.e you're trying to argue because half of a game's budget doesn't go into the above costs? How is that possibly a fault?

I wasn't writing it off.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RoboCopISJesus

@-Damien- said:

@Heirren said:

1. But he was factually wrong. There are several big budget exclusive PC games.

2. Afterthoughts don't have the most high scoring games every year, most sales (hardware and software), most gamers, and the best version of nearly all multiplats.

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

This is one of the bad things about PC it's just to open, it feels cheap most of the time.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

So don't buy those games. Problem solved.

This has never been an issue. A broken and buggy game fails and the developers cannot continue to function. It's been that way for 30 years. Not changing now.

At the worst the people who backed the projects that fail lose some money. Developers who have failed Kickstarter games can't just come back and beg for more money to make games. If their first one failed to make any profit because it was trash, word of mouth gets out and they'll never be able to gain any money through crowd funding. It's a problem that takes care of itself.

Meanwhile tons of working and good games get launched each year on the PC. Play those. Problem solved.

Making up excuses to not play PC games isn't hurting anybody but yourself. Also if you want short and linear $60 games for their "cinematic" quality, then keep gaming on the console. PC gaming is doing fine without your money and you're the one missing out on some of the best games ever made.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lundy86_4

@Heirren said:

Star Citizen, is that even big budget...

lolyes...

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Steam doing quality control. Thought people were whining that they needed to do this. Now they did and they're whining that they are?

Anyways, Huggles abandoned the thread just like how he abandoned his avvy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@-Damien- said:

@Heirren said:

2. Afterthoughts don't have the most high scoring games every year, most sales (hardware and software), most gamers, and the best version of nearly all multiplats.

Go ahead. Name some high budget pc games built specifically for the platform. The point isn't the money or whether the game is good or not. The point is the investment of the developers/publishers. There is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much potential on pc that no developers care to take on because with these big budgets, if the product fails, it can greatly impact the company investing.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@Heirren said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

I like pc more than both the xbox one and ps4. PS4 is a piece of shit right now. I was going to mention Starcraft, but who knows what the budget is on that. Sega? Fact of the matter is that the console market sees these releases on a regular basis. PC had Crysis in ............................2007. Star Citizen, is that even big budget, feels like the first game in 7 years that pc fanboys are hyping up. Facts are facts. GTA came out on consoles to make money. The pc is like watching Seinfeld on local syndication.

If you think the last big budget exclusive PC title was in 2007 you shouldn't be attempting to debate anything, as you are likely trolling.

Also, most multiplats make it on PC day 1. They are all better on PC.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By commonfate

@Heirren said:

@commonfate said:

@Heirren said:

I wasn't righting it off.

Then what's the complaint? PC games aren't culturally relevant? They sport huge competitive scenes with prize pools reaching over 10+ million. Twitch streams draw in 10's of thousands of viewers and sometimes even over 100k current viewers. Moba's, Starcraft 2, WoW, Hearthstone, Civ 5 are still some of the most widely played games today with continued years of support.

Like I'm sorry if I'm missing out on something here but consoles can keep the Hollywood style of gaming. Give me the underappreciated niche titles like Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza and (used to be) Demon Souls over the Gears/Uncharted/Killzone slog. That's what I still keep consoles around for.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By clyde46
@Heirren said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@-Damien- said:

@Heirren said:

Go ahead. Name some high budget pc games built specifically for the platform. The point isn't the money or whether the game is good or not. The point is the investment of the developers/publishers. There is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much potential on pc that no developers care to take on because with these big budgets, if the product fails, it can greatly impact the company investing.

Star Citizen.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
@Wasdie said:

So don't buy those games. Problem solved.

This has never been an issue. A broken and buggy game fails and the developers cannot continue to function. It's been that way for 30 years. Not changing now.

At the worst the people who backed the projects that fail lose some money. Developers who have failed Kickstarter games can't just come back and beg for more money to make games. If their first one failed to make any profit because it was trash, word of mouth gets out and they'll never be able to gain any money through crowd funding. It's a problem that takes care of itself.

Meanwhile tons of working and good games get launched each year on the PC. Play those. Problem solved.

Making up excuses to not play PC games isn't hurting anybody but yourself. Also if you want short and linear $60 games for their "cinematic" quality, then keep gaming on the console. PC gaming is doing fine without your money and you're the one missing out on some of the best games ever made.

well what if they change their names and start another project?

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 commonfate

@Heirren said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@-Damien- said:

@Heirren said:

That's also relevant to consoles as well. How many studios shut down last gen? How many once centric Japanese console companies pumped out titles for the PS1/PS2 but had to run the handhelds to stay relevant? There's no safety net for console gaming, if anything it's more dangerous. The purpose of that statement eludes me.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lostrib

@clyde46 said:
@-Damien- said:

@lostrib said:

Stop lying. They are on PC.

I feel like all Damien does is spread misinformation, half truths, or just flat out lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@commonfate said:

@Heirren said:

@commonfate said:

@Heirren said:

Then what's the complaint? PC games aren't culturally relevant? They sport huge competitive scenes with prize pools reaching over 10+ million. Twitch streams draw in 10's of thousands of viewers and sometimes even over 100k current viewers. Moba's, Starcraft 2, WoW, Hearthstone, Civ 5 are still some of the most widely played games today with continued years of support.

Like I'm sorry if I'm missing out on something here but consoles can keep the Hollywood style of gaming. Give me the underappreciated niche titles like Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza and (used to be) Demon Souls over the Gears/Uncharted/Killzone slog. That's what I still keep consoles around for.

There is no complaint. I agree with you about niche titles. Ive been vocal about the lack of actual gameplay on the xbox and playstation. The point was strictly about budgets. There is no comparison here. PC gaming could be so much more than it is if developers treated the platform the same way they do consoles. That is my point--that years ago the pc was pushing a LOT of genre. Console players could only hope for a stripped port. The interface would be catered to pc--the mouse and keyboard.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lundy86_4

@lundy86_4 said:

@-Damien- said:

That doesn't exactly refute the number of exclusives. That being said, answer my last post:

@lundy86_4 said:

@-Damien- said:

I can't "proof" water is wet. I can only prove it. Still, burden of proof is on you, dimwit.

@-Damien- Hell-Thefuck-o.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clyde46

@Heirren said:

@commonfate said:

@Heirren said:

@commonfate said:

@Heirren said:

There is no complaint. I agree with you about niche titles. Ive been vocal about the lack of actual gameplay on the xbox and playstation. The point was strictly about budgets. There is no comparison here. PC gaming could be so much more than it is if developers treated the platform the same way they do consoles. That is my point--that years ago the pc was pushing a LOT of genre. Console players could only hope for a stripped port. The interface would be catered to pc--the mouse and keyboard.

They tried to treat the PC in the same manner as they do consoles and it never worked out. If you actually look at the way that publishers treat the console market you will realise that they see console players as nothing more than cash cows. Half finished games with day one DLC, pay to play online, HD remakes etc.

You mention stripped down ports, yet from where I'm standing I'm seeing console games being stripped down to virtually nothing. Nothing more than Hollywood style interactive movies.

I can see that there is money to made in console gaming but its at the expensive of you and me. Games back in the day were packed to the gills with content, now we praise games that can be finished in anytime over 10 hours.