This generation has been lacking overall. (Long read)

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

Let me just say that I do like this generation, all things considered.

Some games are truly timeless.

I was playing through Super Mario World a few weeks ago for probably the thousanth time. Obviously we all know the game was released almost twenty years ago, and honestly, nostalgia aside, the game holds up great after all these years. It retains its very fun platforming, visual charm, and catchy music.

And of course this doesn't just apply to SMW. There are several games that hold up very well; Super Metroid, Symphony of the Night, Deus Ex, Fallout, and of course Starcraft are just some among the many games that you can comfortably call classics, because they each do something either very progressive, or basically master what's already been nailed down.

The games this generation don't have anything of the sort.

Think about it carefully; there's really no game, on PC or console, that's like a Deus Ex in terms of progression in gameplay and/or design. Instead, while games this generation have most definitely improved on the interactive aspect of gaming, game design seems to have taken a few steps back in a few genres. The FPS genre, for being so saturated this gen, has progressed at a snail's pace. Actually that's probably an insult to the snail, as it probably has the drive to push further. Arguably the only two progressive titles this gen have been Crysis and STALKER, but at the same time, their progression hasn't really been enough to put up with some of the best shooters around. The year 2004 alone, progressed the genre more than this gen ever did, as Butcher Bay, Far Cry, and Half Life 2 were among the games released that year.

Then there's the stealth genre, which was practically destoryed this gen. When Splinter Cell Conviction ends up being one of the best offers for a stealth game, there's a serious problem. Then there's also the RPG genre, and even the RTS genre is taking a couple of hits.

Is it consolization? It really does feel like it's playing its "part" this generation, but the lack of progression is just one of the issues of this generation.

Games this gen also, for the most part age poorly. Grand Theft Auto 4 is one of the highest rated games this gen. Yet only two years after its release, the controls are terrible, the visuals are ugly, and the framerate becomes unbareable. Two years ago, it was one of my all time favorite games. If it manages to heavily rust over the course of only a couple years, can we be sure if we're going to find games like Red Dead and ME2 special five years from now, let alone fun? I'm aware that even some games last gen and the one before aged poorly, but there were always some games that ended up being classics.

There's yet to be a game this gen to really go above and beyond. I find that more developers seem to be aiming for stronger narrative instead of some truly unique, original gameplay like back in the day. The days of creativity and risk-taking doesn't seem to play as prominent of a role this gen compared to last or even the one before. The rising development costs may be a contribution to the issue.

And with that, I find that this gen overall has been lacking some true classics. I know I'm probably alone on this, but I'm interested in what the wonderful people at SW think of all this.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

didn't feel like reading that because every day theres a topic on how this generation is lacking and you guys basically say the same thing, sorry man, if gaming isn't to your standards go back the the playstation 1 or nintendo 64 you have options. There are other hobbies out there than gaming, go find something else if its not satisfying and not complain about it. Sorry man but this is getting old, "all the topics on system wars have been the same thing now"

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mo0ksi

didn't feel like reading that because every day theres a topic on how this generation is lacking and you guys basically say the same thing, sorry man, if gaming isn't to your standards go back the the playstation 1 or nintendo 64 you have options. There are other hobbies out there than gaming, go find something else if its not satisfying and not complain about it. Sorry man but this is getting old, "all the topics on system wars have been the same thing now"

Chris_Williams
You should have read the first part at least, when I said I still like this generation. It just feels like the least progressive compared to the ones before.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I think you expect too much. Personally I think I'll be playing GTA4, Bioshock, Uncharted's and Mass Effect's 10-20 years from now. The games that have aged the worst are those from the N64 IMO, even if they were amazing at the time.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chris_Williams

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

mo0ksi

You should have read the first part at least, when I said I still like this generation. It just feels like the least progressive compared to the ones before.

and again i say there is still the ps1, ps2, xbox, gamecube, nintendo 64, gamecube and lots of other consoles that you can play or pick a new hobby, i think this gen is the most progressive one "HD, 3D, ONLINE PLAY, TROPHIES/ACHIEVMENTS, MOTION CONTROL "debatable" , PATCHES TO GAMES and etc, so i don't understand what your saying about this being the least progressive generation

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mo0ksi

and again i say there is still the ps1, ps2, xbox, gamecube, nintendo 64, gamecube and lots of other consoles that you can play or pick a new hobby, i think this gen is the most progressive one "HD, 3D, MULITPLAYER, TROPHIES/ACHIEVMENTS, MOTION CONTROL "debatable" , PATCHES TO GAMES and etc, so i don't understand what your saying about this being the least progressive generationChris_Williams
You want to know what that tells me? That console have been "progressing" to be more and more like PCs, aside from achivements and arguably motion control.

That's not the progression I'm looking for, or even talking about. I'm talking about the actual games progressing; to shake up its genre and pave a way for new games to come in. Thai kind of progression.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

"Progressive" or not, it's the generation I've had the most fun with.

We have many, many awesome games, from many genres and styles.

I couldn't care less if games are not "progressing" as long as I'm having fun with them.

So nope, I don't think it's been lacking, at all.

CHOVI3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#8 CHOVI3
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts

Just wanted to say SMG and SMG2 are still some of the best rated games in gaming history and are in this generation

GTA 4 too, but I haven't really played that =P

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chris_Williams

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] and again i say there is still the ps1, ps2, xbox, gamecube, nintendo 64, gamecube and lots of other consoles that you can play or pick a new hobby, i think this gen is the most progressive one "HD, 3D, MULITPLAYER, TROPHIES/ACHIEVMENTS, MOTION CONTROL "debatable" , PATCHES TO GAMES and etc, so i don't understand what your saying about this being the least progressive generationmo0ksi

You want to know what that tells me? That console have been "progressing" to be more and more like PCs, aside from achivements and arguably motion control.

That's not the progression I'm looking for, or even talking about. I'm talking about the actual games progressing; to shake up its genre and pave a way for new games to come in. Thai kind of progression.

umm, have you played uncharted 2? or little big planet? dead space? i've never played anything like those games last gen soo i just think i absolutely have no idea how you can say games aren't progressing. Consoles are becoming like a computer?, you know the original ps1 could play music cd's, i used that feature alot back in the day. Their just not know doing this, its just giving you more bang for your buck, if you have a prob with that then that sucks man

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts

Chris_Williams
Are you serious?
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chris_Williams
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

AAllxxjjnn
Are you serious?

very serious my man, are you?
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AAllxxjjnn
[QUOTE="mo0ksi"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] and again i say there is still the ps1, ps2, xbox, gamecube, nintendo 64, gamecube and lots of other consoles that you can play or pick a new hobby, i think this gen is the most progressive one "HD, 3D, MULITPLAYER, TROPHIES/ACHIEVMENTS, MOTION CONTROL "debatable" , PATCHES TO GAMES and etc, so i don't understand what your saying about this being the least progressive generationChris_Williams

umm, have you played uncharted 2? or little big planet 2? dead space? i've never played anything like those games last gen soo i just think i absolutely have no idea how you can say games aren't progressing. Consoles are becoming like a computer?, you know the original ps1 could play music cd's, i used that feature alot back in the day. Their just not know doing this, its just giving you more bang for your buck, if you have a prob with that then that sucks man

Uncharted 2 is basically the same linear scripted event to scripted event type of gameplay we've seen for years, it's not progressive at all. Dead Space is literally RE4 and Doom 3 mashed together with a limb dismemberment gimmick.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AAllxxjjnn
[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Chris_Williams
Are you serious?

very serious my man, are you?

TC thinks games aren't as progressive as they used to be, and you tell him to find another hobby...
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mo0ksi

"Progressive" or not, it's the generatin I've had the most fun with. We have many, many awesome games, from many genres and styles. I couldn't care less if games are not "progressing" as long as I'm having fun with them. So nope, I don't think it's been lacking, at all.So I don't think it's been lacking, at all. IronBass
That's fine. One thing I can say is that there's never really been a shortage of games to play this gen. It's been pretty consistent.

umm, have you played uncharted 2? or little big planet? dead space? i've never played anything like those games last gen soo i just think i absolutely have no idea how you can say games aren't progressing. Consoles are becoming like a computer?, you know the original ps1 could play music cd's, i used that feature alot back in the day. Their just not know doing this, its just giving you more bang for your buck, if you have a prob with that then that sucks man

Chris_Williams

Uncharted 2? Dead Space? They may be great games, but they're ones that tread along pretty familiar territory. Dead Space takes a lot from RE4 and System Shock 2.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chris_Williams

[QUOTE="IronBass"] "Progressive" or not, it's the generatin I've had the most fun with. We have many, many awesome games, from many genres and styles. I couldn't care less if games are not "progressing" as long as I'm having fun with them. So nope, I don't think it's been lacking, at all.So I don't think it's been lacking, at all. mo0ksi

That's fine. One thing I can say is that there's never really been a shortage of games to play this gen. It's been pretty consistent.

Chris_Williams

Uncharted 2? Dead Space? They may be great games, but they're ones that tread along pretty familiar territory. Dead Space, for example, takes a lot from System Shock 2, a 1999 PC game.

this is all pointless, look sorry TC if gaming isn't progressive enough for you but guess what, what can you do about it, nothing just go along for the ride , you can't please everybody

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I agree.

There hasnt been many unforgetable games this gen.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Speak for yourself. There are many old school gamers that don't have a taste for the games of today. There is nothing wrong with preferring the games of old that doesn't mean those games are better then the games of today, they just don't fit your personal tastes which I guess is sad for you. I and many others love the games of today far more then games of the past.

In every gen there are people who reminisce about the art/media of the past. Their tastes of different from the generations after them. Its why old folks listen to golden oldies but young folk rather listen to pop, rock, or punk rock. If you don't like the games of today go back to the old stuff but don't berate games of today when gaming is more popular then ever before.
Juken7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Juken7
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

This gen will be remembered fondly 10 years from now when everyone complains about future gens being lacking.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

You are not alone my friend.

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I think that there are plenty of unique great games this gen but they just aren't the most popular, if you're playing mario and CoD and expecting to see something new then I think you're kinda off. Although the game play might be very familiar to other games now days there seems to be an emphasis on presentation( not just graphics but the way the game makes you feel as well) this gen. Bio Shock is a very unique experience in many ways but also seems like old hat in other ways. The other main focuses seem to be HD online multiplayer and motion controls. I'm a fan of all of this except motion controls. Games like Dead Rising and Little big Planet have a familiar feel to some degree but also completely unique. I personally think last gen was far worse about this and mostly just presented better graphics.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Actually (for the HD consoles) I think this gen has the highest ratio of good games to bad games ever achieved.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I agree completely. There are so few games this generation that i will go back and play years from now because they are fun. The only games this generation that i can think of that was a totally new ip that tried something different were Portal and Left 4 Dead, and those were both made by Valve.

You know what is wrong with the industry now?
It is becoming like the Music and movie industry. Producers are making cheap thrill rides that will be forgotten in a few years time.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i got bad news for you there bud.

things were better when i was a boy talk is followed shortly by "you'uns kids get offa my lawn!" and "omg! there is a paper bag on fire on my front porch!"

beware the slippery slope! beeeewaaaarrrre!

TF626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TF626
Member since 2010 • 593 Posts

I would have to agree with you poster. However I think there's an exception-- and that's LittleBigPlanet. I've been playing it again recently, and it just never ceases to amaze me. While the single story wasn't the greatest, the user created content has elevated gaming, seriously have you seen some of the creativty that LBP offers? It's amazing, and I think down the road, it could be a game looked upon that set the bar higher, although unfortunately not a lot of people even gave it a chance.

Great gameplay, unique visuals, strong community in terms of user created content, it's one of the most unique games to come in such a long time.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

I think we've had some instant classics.

BioShock is one, Braid is one.

BioShock, for its originality; sure, in some ways it's a stripped down System Shock 2 in the gameplay arena, but that's more inspiration than execution if we were being honest, and the overall experiences are entirely different, though not in quality, as many posit.

Any failings in terms of gameplay are wiped away; the game will not let go, never quite collapses under the weight of its ridiculous ambition. t's story and setting are poignant, its atmosphere is haunting, and the entire game is actually quite insane, like a fever dream.

I've played System Shock 2 and BioShock back to back before a couple times now, and **** if I can decide which I like more. SS2 has advantages over BioShock and vice versa, but they're really just different translations of the same essential idea, or, as I've put it before, the nightmare of a scientist vs. the nightmare of an artist, which is to say that they complement one another.

Both are masterpieces, and I think BioShock will age just as well as SS2, honestly.

-

Braid gives me that tingle that Another World gave me at first, and still does.

It's one of the best puzzle platformers I've played, and it seems full of secrets. There is an air of mystery to Braid, even after you think you know it well, and that's what really makes it, aside from anything else.

It's a game in which the game "objectives" are forced into the peripheral. Sometimes, for just a moment, it feels like an true quest, like there might really be something to be gained, other than just "finishing the game", or an achievement, or any other carrot on a stick.

I felt that way with Majora's Mask, too.

-

Those are the two I feel pretty sure about, along with Silent Hill: Homecoming and Twilight Princess, though I won't bother explaining either of those choices in detail. Few people are willing to really dig deeper on Homecoming (which is very much a game of layers), and I haven't really changed many minds on the TP circuit either; I suspect I won't be able to, not until Skyward Sword is out, anyway.

As for others that I'm considering... eh, I don't know. Deadly Premonition made a very strong impression on me, but it needs more time before I can call it a classic. I need to play it some more. Dead Rising is there, but I've let a good bit of time slide between my last major foray with it and now; it needs a long sit down.

So, I guess I feel pretty optimistic about gaming these days. That's basically four instant classics in my book, and I've barely scratched the surface of this generation's releases.

If something like Deadly Premonition was hiding out there, imagine what else there might be.

davidkamayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 davidkamayor
Member since 2008 • 1642 Posts

There were a few legends

LittleBigPlanet

Super Mario Galaxy

Bioshock (though deriving from other games it still has its own flavor)

Demon Soul's (well if you can stand it)

Portal

All Bioware Games

I know alot of people who'll be playing these games 10 years from now

Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
Demon's Souls is a true classic, so is Valkyria Chronicles. I think Gears really pushed things and I consider MGS4 a classic. AC2 feels pretty unique to me, I even think Uncharted is pushing things just by how well they've mastered pacing. There's Bayonetta too.
Avatar image for ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
Member since 2007 • 1987 Posts

This gen blows away all other gens IMO

Timeless games for me this gen =

halo 3 even if reach comes out i will always love this game,

assassins creed 2 is a trully beautiful game with a great story you can just walk around a city doing nothing and enjoy the game the city is alive with all kinds of people just going about there business,

mass effect 2 great story great combat great graphics 10 out of 10,

gears of war 1 this game was everything to me when it came out i loved every second playing it and it will never get old i still wish the online community was around and not playing gears of war 2 now hehe,

bioshock 1 a very original game with a crazy twist ending great graphics and gunplay i love this series,

Super mario galaxy the red plumber never looked so good or been so much fun i can't speak for SMG2 as i have not played it yet but SMG will always have a place in my heart

these are just games i can think of off the top of my head this gen has had way more great moments in gaming that i will never forget compared to the previous gens of gaming.

BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BodyElite
Member since 2009 • 2678 Posts
I'm happy to see Epic do something new and innovative with Bulletstorm. But this gen has been playing it safe with using established IP's for easy money, scared of creating new IP's
CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

This gen will be remembered fondly 10 years from now when everyone complains about future gens being lacking.

Juken7
Exactly, just like how during the midpoint last gen everyone was saying that the PS1/64 era was better and then during the PS1/64 era everyone was saying how the Genesis/SNES gen was better etc, etc.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Sigh another retro gamer who clings to the past to much.

Sorry but no this generation isnt lacking anything, this year is the best in gaming also. W/e i look at past games in the snes/nes era you want to talk about lacking? ok most of those games where travel to point A to point B, no story,no side missions and lacked in variety.At least games like Dead Space combines every horror aspect from video games to movies (Aliens the movie + RE = win), what did past genres do? nothing.

Two games just this year i wont never trade for a past gen game and those two are RDR and Starcraft 2 (although if i ever lost my copy of WC3 or diablo 2 i would probably trade RDR for one of em). I even owned a Snes back in the day and my first two games where X-men and Donkey Kong, yea i had fun but compared to today i can spend hours,days and weeks praising a lvl or mission in a game like Mass Effect,Geow or Starcraft 2.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

I agree and yet disagree at the same time. To me there have been classics, innovation doesn't mean classic imo and I've enjoyed more games this gen than last so it's fine by me.. I'd like to see some innovation but it doesn't mean I'd overlook extremely polished experiences for it.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
I fully disagree with everything you say :) I never played anything like Gears, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Assassin's Creed, Portal, Banjo Nuts and Bolts, Tropico 3, Dead Rising, and many more on my PS2. This gen is awesome. The advances in physics and AI are extremely noticable too. Try playing a PS2 shooter and the enemies mostly stand there and get shot. Or run around like headless chickensand get shot. This gen shotgunners are charging forward, snipers are taking cover, machine gunners are laying down supressing fire, grenades are being flung, etc. And physics, Red Faction and Bad Company games both have completely destructable buildings, and you can smash windows and other random stuff in almost every game now. Throw a plasma grenade in Halo and the enemies will dive for cover, it'll blow and send one dude straight up in the air, the others to the side, and random debris in every direction. Nothing like that last gen :D
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
This current Generation will probably be relegated to the annals of videogame history as the generation of online frag-fests with barely potty-trained brats and, of course, the much ballyhooed High Definition graphics... not really particularly exciting, fun or innovative...
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
This current Generation will probably be relegated to the annals of videogame history as the generation of online frag-fests with barely potty-trained brats and, of course, the much ballyhooed High Definition graphics... not really particularly exciting, fun or innovative...67gt500
I don't understand this attitude. There's a ton of great single player games, and non shooter games. You could have a great time this gen without ever going online or playing a shooter....
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I agree, to a point. There's very little this gen that has captured me they way I was previous gens (Bioshock being one of the few exceptions), and I do think consolization is to blame for it to a point. It's not that console games are somehow inferior, because they aren't but certain things imply do not work on them (imagine playing StarCraft on a console, without a keyboard).

That said, I do like this gen, and I'm glad there's no end in sight.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#37 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

I think more than a decline in quality, there's been a decline in really special games.

Games in general are better this gen: higher quality, more immersive, more content, more replay value, etc.

So you end up with a lot more games that are extremely solid and hard to find fault with, but fewer games that make a blind leap forward and just turn everyone's heads from their sheer ambition or brilliant design.

In short, this gen is about a lot of very smart developers with a plan and way too much money, rather than a handful of crazy developers with a dream and way too much time on their hands. There's nothing wrong with the former, but you get the feeling that things are going to go downhill without more of the latter forcing the whole industry forward.

Portal is probably the closest we've had this gen to a "classic" in that sense, at least that I can think of. It's odd to see so many people saying Bioshock...

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
I see where you're coming from, but there are a few games that I feel stand out this gen which include pretty much everything made by Valve this gen. L4D series Portal TF2 Mass Effect series Bioshock series (especially 1 as far as storytelling in games goes) Crysis STALKER series, especially SoC and CoP Mirror's Edge Penumbra
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
[QUOTE="67gt500"]This current Generation will probably be relegated to the annals of videogame history as the generation of online frag-fests with barely potty-trained brats and, of course, the much ballyhooed High Definition graphics... not really particularly exciting, fun or innovative...locopatho
I don't understand this attitude. There's a ton of great single player games, and non shooter games. You could have a great time this gen without ever going online or playing a shooter....

What I'm saying is, looking back at this generation from a future perspective, it will be these two things that will define this current generation... oh, and motion controls will of course get an honorable mention...
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
This gen is lacking because the Japanese devs have taken a back seat to the Western ones! Previous gens in console gaming the Japanese developers lead the industry and they created some of the best games ever. This gen they just don't care so it seems like this gen is lacking, I agree with Kojima the Japanese devs are not motivated this gen. Not as many great new games from them and the franchises they are known for have been lacking and some what westernised. Previous gens they made awesome games, appealing to everyone but this gen they seem to be fixated with the idea that the more western a game looks and plays the better it will sell which is completely not true.

This is the first gen lead by Western developers so it feels odd to me since I grew with Japanese games, Im not saying Western devs are inferior, far from it. Im just saying if Japanese devs made as many epic titles as they did in previous gens then this gen would have it all! Still great and far from over so you never know.
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

If games are aging poorly, that's only because their sequels and spiritual successors consistently improve on the predecessors. That's a good thing, isn't it?

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#42 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I believe many games of this console generation will be viewed as classics to many, regardless if you disagree or not. I don't believe a game needs to make huge leaps in terms of revolutionizing or changing how we play games(although I do believe there are a few games this generation that did that). Most people don't care so much about the industry as a whole nor the time play each and every game to know what did and didn't start a trend or advance genres. People will view games as classics based on how much they enjoyed and played them.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I see where you're coming from, but there are a few games that I feel stand out this gen which include pretty much everything made by Valve this gen. L4D series Portal TF2 Mass Effect series Bioshock series (especially 1 as far as storytelling in games goes) Crysis STALKER series, especially SoC and CoP Mirror's Edge PenumbraGeneral_X
I agree wth most of that list.

Mass effect doesnt stand out to me as it just feels like enougher TPS with some very light RPG elements added on.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mo0ksi

Sigh another retro gamer who clings to the past to much.

Sorry but no this generation isnt lacking anything, this year is the best in gaming also. W/e i look at past games in the snes/nes era you want to talk about lacking? ok most of those games where travel to point A to point B, no story,no side missions and lacked in variety.At least games like Dead Space combines every horror aspect from video games to movies (Aliens the movie + RE = win), what did past genres do? nothing.

Ballroompirate

I just love how whenever someone happens to speak ill of this generation, he has to be clinging to the past. I'll have you know that I've played plenty of games released this year alone.

Are you seriously comparing the 8/16-bit generations to this one? Games really didn't have that kind of capacity to include all those aspects that you mentioned, and frankly nobody cared at that point. Where are we now? We're in a generation that just may focus a little too much on story and narrative instead of attempting to deliver something original and exciting in gameplay. I don't want a game like Dead Space where nearly all of its gameplay aspects and traits trace back to either another game or a film. It's pretty uninspiring if you ask me, despite it being a pretty good game.

Also, it's not like I don't think any game is worthy of being called a cl4ssic. If there's any game I can consider as a cl4ssic at this moment, it's Company of Heroes, because it progressed in its respective genre and still holds up well today. There's also Bayonetta, which I adore at the moment. It's just a question on whether or not I'll still adore it in the years to come. Braid was also mentioned by JV, and that's one I can be in agreement with actually because there's no puzzle game quite like it. Starcraft 2 will also more than likely hold up, for very obvious reasons.

Another thing I'll have you know is that I had Mass Effect 2, GTA4, SMG, and a few others as all time favorites. I just felt that they lost their flair quicker than I thought they would and how a game ages plays as a testament to its quality.

I've always thought that games this gen were never aging well after the honeymoon period. The lack of progression only came as a recent realization. Again this is still a good generation, but one that's yet to deliver a real knockout blow.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I wish we had more original games like Braid and Flower this generation. All shooters feel the same to me.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I would rate this as the best generation yet, a lot of the games can't have the same impact because its all been done before but there are still superior evolutions of every genre I can think of available. Maybe you need to take a break from gaming and when you next play try to not compare the games of today to yesterdays all of the time, its impossible to enjoy something if you are constantly sitting their reminiscing.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I just love how whenever someone happens to speak ill of this generation, he has to be clinging to the past. I'll have you know that I've played plenty of games released this year alone.

Are you seriously comparing the 8/16-bit generations to this one? Games really didn't have that kind of capacity to include all those aspects that you mentioned, and frankly nobody cared at that point. Where are we now? We're in a generation that just may focus a little too much on story and narrative instead of attempting to deliver something original and exciting in gameplay. I don't want a game like Dead Space where nearly all of its gameplay aspects and traits trace back to either another game or a film. It's pretty uninspiring if you ask me, despite it being a pretty good game.

Also, it's not like I don't think any game is worthy of being called a cl4ssic. If there's any game I can consider as a cl4ssic at this moment, it's Company of Heroes, because it progressed in its respective genre and still holds up well today. There's also Bayonetta, which I adore at the moment. It's just a question on whether or not I'll still adore it in the years to come. Braid was also mentioned by JV, and that's one I can be in agreement with actually because there's no puzzle game quite like it. Starcraft 2 will also more than likely hold up, for very obvious reasons.

Another thing I'll have you know is that I had Mass Effect 2, GTA4, SMG, and a few others as all time favorites. I just felt that they lost their flair quicker than I thought they would and how a game ages plays as a testament to its quality.

I've always thought that games this gen were never aging well after the honeymoon period. The lack of progression only came as a recent realization. Again this is still a good generation, but one that's yet to deliver a real knockout blow.

mo0ksi

I think you're actually disproving your own point. How many of these timeless games can you mention of previous generations? 8, 10, maybe 15 games at best. How many games of this generation have you considered a timeless game? 3? I dunno man, it sounds about average if you consider a "# of timeless games per generation."

Maybe because more games are coming out now than before that you have expectations that there should be more timeless games coming out?

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mo0ksi

I think you're actually disproving your own point. How many of these timeless games can you mention of previous generations? 8, 10, maybe 15 games at best. How many games of this generation have you considered a timeless game? 3? I dunno man, it sounds about average if you consider a "# of timeless games per generation."

Maybe because more games are coming out now than before that you have expectations that there should be more timeless games coming out?

XaosII

I considered those three, but it's not exactly definite. It's also not because more games are coming out that I expect more. Nowadays it is difficult to really be original and take a risk when you consider the rising development costs. It's just simply a matter of developers in general playing it a little too safe.

And it's true that that there are only a handful a games from previous generations you can call classics. Not every game has the potential to be timeless, not even the highly-rated ones. It just seems to have a slightly bigger absense during this generation's nearly five year span.

Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

[QUOTE="General_X"]I see where you're coming from, but there are a few games that I feel stand out this gen which include pretty much everything made by Valve this gen. L4D series Portal TF2 Mass Effect series Bioshock series (especially 1 as far as storytelling in games goes) Crysis STALKER series, especially SoC and CoP Mirror's Edge Penumbratoast_burner

I agree wth most of that list.

Mass effect doesnt stand out to me as it just feels like enougher TPS with some very light RPG elements added on.

agreed. just as uncharted 2 was just another TPS with light platform and puzzle elements tacked on.