This gen, why is everyone so obssessed with online multiplayer?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MightyMuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MightyMuna
Member since 2008 • 1766 Posts

new mario game announced

"does it have online coop"

or

"does God of War 3 have multiplayer"

"I hope Ninja gaiden 3 has multiplayer or co op"

" I wish Zelda was on 360, it would have online co op"

Its attitude like this that is making devs create FPS games all the time, cant we just have a good single player game? must everything have multiplayer or online coop? The best rated games of all time and the best selling games have mostly been single player games or games that did not have any sort of online mode. Single player games allow devs to show their creative side, single player games have good and interesting characters, good story, better graphics etc

just like the other day, someone said they wish Dead Space had online co-op. lol. that will kill the experience.

I love multiplayer games, like Beat 'em up, FPS, etc but I dont like it multiplayer in a single player game.

kerpal_cz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kerpal_cz
Member since 2008 • 196 Posts
We have friends?
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Its fun and we like playing with friends who don't live near us?
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SpruceCaboose
I love multiplayer games, like Beat 'em up, FPS, etc but I dont like it multiplayer in a single player game.MightyMuna
They do not need to be mutually exclusive.
LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LittleHands134
Member since 2008 • 1176 Posts

This pretty much sums up online multiplayer for me. It's only fun with friends.

RuinedMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RuinedMachine
Member since 2008 • 622 Posts
Because online multiplayer has been standard for PC games for quite a while now and it's becoming the standard for the consoles too.

Plus it adds tons of replay value if done right.
Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Can-o-Mark
Member since 2005 • 3844 Posts
I agree with you. I really feel that a lot of games had a pretty mediocre singleplayer campaign and quite an extensive multiplayer game mode. I really think it sucks when a game can be finished in 6 hours... BUT has "unlimited gameplay" due to online.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
Because it's fun with friends... And this is the gen that really pushed the online multiplayer for consoles.
johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

online is what makes a game worth a purchase imo, without it you just beat the game and your done maybe beat it again of different difficulty

like look at mgs4 and deadspace great games but after i beat it twice i traded it in a month later cuz it had no replay value

online mp = replay value

redmetal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 redmetal86
Member since 2006 • 1123 Posts
online mp = replay value? that sounds more like a crutch to me.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
I agree. I am a HUGE fan of single player games and story/plot based games. I am also dissappointed to an extent with the focus on online. I do appreciate fighting games with online because honestly my friends won't fight against me anymore when you win to much so its good to meet new people who are better then me. I also dabble in the FPS genre here and there for online because that is fun as well but I do think games like Heavenly Sword, Mario, Uncharted and other games don't necessarily need to have online. Now my tune may change if devs can find creative ways to include online without taking away focus from the single player campaign (I hate when they do that). RE5 may show us that a story based game can also have fun online. But overall knowing most devs they will take the easy/cheap way out and sacrifice story, character development and single player game length to tack on an online mode so some people can be happy.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SpruceCaboose
I agree with you. I really feel that a lot of games had a pretty mediocre singleplayer campaign and quite an extensive multiplayer game mode. I really think it sucks when a game can be finished in 6 hours... BUT has "unlimited gameplay" due to online.Can-o-Mark
This is not the first generation to have short games. This is just the first generation where less developers are relying on artificial game lengtheners.
AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AGMing
Member since 2003 • 1694 Posts

in my opinion the obsession with online modes for console games has effected the general quality and length of the single player modes, i also think its the main reason there have been far to many FPS games made. there easier in general to make multiplayer modes for as all you need is a few extra maps and a few match types.

RPG's, action adventure games etc are much harder and dont usually feature very good online components.

in all the time iv had my PS3 and 360 iv probably racked up about 10-20 hours of online gaming only compared to the 100's of hours on my PC.

if i know im going to play a game online i will always pick it up for the PC first unless its an exclusive.there is also the fact games can e better supported on the PC with customer and developer mods/patches and in some instances (NWN/NWN2 & oblivion (and fallout is getting its editor christmas time i believe)) for example) are supplied with editors that enable you to creat whole new adventures/quests.

online modes should not be a requirement for games, if the game suit's one by all means include it but having a multiplayer just for the sake of it to me seems pointless.

CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CubanBlunt
Member since 2005 • 2025 Posts

online is what makes a game worth a purchase imo, without it you just beat the game and your done maybe beat it again of different difficulty

like look at mgs4 and deadspace great games but after i beat it twice i traded it in a month later cuz it had no replay value

online mp = replay value

johnnyblazed88

I'm glad thats just your opinion. The point of most game are to play and beat them then go on to the next game. Its a waste when you buy new games then go back to the same old Gears and Halo online, why even buy new games if you cant let the old ones go,

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="johnnyblazed88"]

online mp = replay value

CubanBlunt

I'm glad thats just your opinion. The point of most game are to play and beat them then go on to the next game. Its a waste when you buy new games then go back to the same old Gears and Halo online, why even buy new games if you cant let the old ones go,

Why buy good games when you can buy the crappy ones? That makes about as much sense as what you wrote.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Javy03
[QUOTE="Can-o-Mark"]I agree with you. I really feel that a lot of games had a pretty mediocre singleplayer campaign and quite an extensive multiplayer game mode. I really think it sucks when a game can be finished in 6 hours... BUT has "unlimited gameplay" due to online.SpruceCaboose
This is not the first generation to have short games. This is just the first generation where less developers are relying on artificial game lengtheners.

I disagree. I think with the rise of "open world" type games we have seen more new ways of "artificial game lengtheners" this gen. All of those fetch quests and time spent commuting from one mission to the other in Banjo, GTA4, Saints Row, and others are all artificial game lengtheners. Now the rest of the devs either do something where they make you backtrack like DMC4, or they just add some sort of poor online competition in the case of Mirrors Edge and their timed runs. Then of course you have the bulk of this gen. which has been shooters and you have devs just create a short story and then push their online capabilities as the lengthener.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="Can-o-Mark"]I agree with you. I really feel that a lot of games had a pretty mediocre singleplayer campaign and quite an extensive multiplayer game mode. I really think it sucks when a game can be finished in 6 hours... BUT has "unlimited gameplay" due to online.Javy03

I disagree. I think with the rise of "open world" type games we have seen more new ways of "artificial game lengtheners" this gen. All of those fetch quests and time spent commuting from one mission to the other in Banjo, GTA4, Saints Row, and others are all artificial game lengtheners. Now the rest of the devs either do something where they make you backtrack like DMC4, or they just add some sort of poor online competition in the case of Mirrors Edge and their timed runs. Then of course you have the bulk of this gen. which has been shooters and you have devs just create a short story and then push their online capabilities as the lengthener.

You also described every generation prior to this one. Its inherent in gaming, moreso in past generations. The only difference is the addition of online lengtheners and the Achievement like systems.
CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CubanBlunt

I agree. I am a HUGE fan of single player games and story/plot based games. I am also dissappointed to an extent with the focus on online. I do appreciate fighting games with online because honestly my friends won't fight against me anymore when you win to much so its good to meet new people who are better then me. I also dabble in the FPS genre here and there for online because that is fun as well but I do think games like Heavenly Sword, Mario, Uncharted and other games don't necessarily need to have online. Now my tune may change if devs can find creative ways to include online without taking away focus from the single player campaign (I hate when they do that). RE5 may show us that a story based game can also have fun online. But overall knowing most devs they will take the easy/cheap way out and sacrifice story, character development and single player game length to tack on an online mode so some people can be happy.Javy03

I've noticed that Developers makes games shorter to put more into the online. The reason is disk space, to make a desent single and online games you need disk space.

I'm with you, I cant really get into online games except Madden and fighting games.

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts
I dont mind online multiplayer except when the single player suffers b/c of it. Lost Planet anyone? Ugh I regret buying it after realizing the SP was pretty much training for the MP.
CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CubanBlunt
[QUOTE="CubanBlunt"][QUOTE="johnnyblazed88"]

online mp = replay value

SpruceCaboose

Why buy good games when you can buy the crappy ones? That makes about as much sense as what you wrote.

No, why buy a crappy game when you can buy a good one, thats makes no since.

Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Unforgiven2870
Member since 2004 • 6386 Posts

LittleHands134
ROFL wow :lol:
Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Unforgiven2870
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="CubanBlunt"]

CubanBlunt

crappy games can be good games to many people.
blazer224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blazer224
Member since 2007 • 397 Posts

online play adds another demension of gameplay to to a game. it bolsters its longevity.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SpruceCaboose

CubanBlunt
What I was getting at was that your point is why buy new games when you play Halo 3 or Gears online. Well, I go back to Halo 3 and CoD4 because they are the two best online games to me. I buy new games to experience new things. You can play more than one game in the same time frame.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Javy03

[QUOTE="Javy03"]I agree. I am a HUGE fan of single player games and story/plot based games. I am also dissappointed to an extent with the focus on online. I do appreciate fighting games with online because honestly my friends won't fight against me anymore when you win to much so its good to meet new people who are better then me. I also dabble in the FPS genre here and there for online because that is fun as well but I do think games like Heavenly Sword, Mario, Uncharted and other games don't necessarily need to have online. Now my tune may change if devs can find creative ways to include online without taking away focus from the single player campaign (I hate when they do that). RE5 may show us that a story based game can also have fun online. But overall knowing most devs they will take the easy/cheap way out and sacrifice story, character development and single player game length to tack on an online mode so some people can be happy.CubanBlunt

I've noticed that Developers makes games shorter to put more into the online. The reason is disk space, to make a desent single and online games you need disk space.

I'm with you, I cant really get into online games except Madden and fighting games.

Its not disk space that is the problem, if they just wanted to make an amazing story driven game with no worry about time and money they could easily just tack on a 50GB blu ray or multiple disks. But of course the biggest problem in gaming is funding for specific titles and meeting the deadlines devs put on their games. Not every company has a huge team so when you have a small team working hard on a game it takes alot of time and money to make the game quality and length within the deadline. So now with the push on online they just divide their team up into online and campaign and make a short single player game and push their online mode.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Javy03
You also described every generation prior to this one. Its inherent in gaming, moreso in past generations. The only difference is the addition of online lengtheners and the Achievement like systems.SpruceCaboose
I just disagree with the "moreso in past generations" part.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="CubanBlunt"]

[QUOTE="Javy03"]I agree. I am a HUGE fan of single player games and story/plot based games. I am also dissappointed to an extent with the focus on online. I do appreciate fighting games with online because honestly my friends won't fight against me anymore when you win to much so its good to meet new people who are better then me. I also dabble in the FPS genre here and there for online because that is fun as well but I do think games like Heavenly Sword, Mario, Uncharted and other games don't necessarily need to have online. Now my tune may change if devs can find creative ways to include online without taking away focus from the single player campaign (I hate when they do that). RE5 may show us that a story based game can also have fun online. But overall knowing most devs they will take the easy/cheap way out and sacrifice story, character development and single player game length to tack on an online mode so some people can be happy.Javy03

Its not disk space that is the problem, if they just wanted to make an amazing story driven game with no worry about time and money they could easily just tack on a 50GB blu ray or multiple disks. But of course the biggest problem in gaming is funding for specific titles and meeting the deadlines devs put on their games. Not every company has a huge team so when you have a small team working hard on a game it takes alot of time and money to make the game quality and length within the deadline. So now with the push on online they just divide their team up into online and campaign and make a short single player game and push their online mode.

That's true.
CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CubanBlunt
[QUOTE="CubanBlunt"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Why buy good games when you can buy the crappy ones? That makes about as much sense as what you wrote.Unforgiven2870

crappy games can be good games to many people.

I know, you would never know by reading reviews.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] You also described every generation prior to this one. Its inherent in gaming, moreso in past generations. The only difference is the addition of online lengtheners and the Achievement like systems.Javy03

Ok. Equal to past generations. I will retract my "moreso" comment.
angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts

The internet has only recently (in the grand scheme of things) become almost standard. Who doesn't have a broadband connection these days?

When I was at school if I wanted to game with my mates I went over their house. Today I sit at home drinking beer and play with them over XBL.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I agree to a point. Some games don't need online, but others need some sort of online integration. All FPSs need a online mode, otherwise they are pretty straight forward and dont have replay value.

Other games like Spore and stuff use online as a very mainstream part of its gameplay and are very unique because of it.

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts

I agree to a point. Some games don't need online, but others need some sort of online integration. All FPSs need a online mode, otherwise they are pretty straight forward and dont have replay value.

Other games like Spore and stuff use online as a very mainstream part of its gameplay and are very unique because of it.

Wasdie
I disagree. Games like Half Life 2 and The Chronicles of Riddick were fine without an online mode. In fact they would probably be worse if Valve and Starbreeze had to shoehorn a Multiplayer aspect into them.
Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Unforgiven2870
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Locke562
I disagree. Games like Half Life 2 and The Chronicles of Riddick were fine without an online mode. In fact they would probably be worse if Valve and Starbreeze had to shoehorn a Multiplayer aspect into them.

I think it would depdend on how the Online mode would be put into the game.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts
Some may think this has become a big deal this gen but since 2000, console online gaming been a huge deal for me when with the DC I was playing NFL2K1, NBA 2K1 and PSO. Was the reason I bought a Xbox on day one b/c I knew that online would be a major effort for MS and thus far this gen with 360, it's sure has proved to be the case. :D
CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CubanBlunt
[QUOTE="CubanBlunt"]

[QUOTE="Javy03"]I agree. I am a HUGE fan of single player games and story/plot based games. I am also dissappointed to an extent with the focus on online. I do appreciate fighting games with online because honestly my friends won't fight against me anymore when you win to much so its good to meet new people who are better then me. I also dabble in the FPS genre here and there for online because that is fun as well but I do think games like Heavenly Sword, Mario, Uncharted and other games don't necessarily need to have online. Now my tune may change if devs can find creative ways to include online without taking away focus from the single player campaign (I hate when they do that). RE5 may show us that a story based game can also have fun online. But overall knowing most devs they will take the easy/cheap way out and sacrifice story, character development and single player game length to tack on an online mode so some people can be happy.Javy03

A lot of ideas gets left on the table because of disk space which could have made the game longer. Microsoft charge royalties for how many disk a games can have (The game Rage). Disk space is a factor.

Mlauthemighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mlauthemighty
Member since 2008 • 420 Posts
Because it makes nerds feel they have friends and it makes dev's get off easily in regards to story and sp.
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
I agree with the TC to an extent. Lately I've felt really "meh" about multiplayer... and I have yet to play a multiplayer this year that I really cared about. I'm hoping Resistance 2 will change that. Anyway, single player campaigns offer goodies that multiplayer could never compensate for... and the same thing goes for the opposite. If they're done right, I'm fine with it. If it's forced... like MGO... then it usually ends up being garbage.
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts
People have been "obsessed" with online multiplayer for a long time...much longer than this generation. I remember back with the Dreamcast playing Quake 3 Arena and Outtrigger online. It's gone back quite a bit further as well (though i don't remember much from that far back...).
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

LittleHands134

Wow...

No...just no.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Javy03
[QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] You also described every generation prior to this one. Its inherent in gaming, moreso in past generations. The only difference is the addition of online lengtheners and the Achievement like systems.SpruceCaboose

Ok. Equal to past generations. I will retract my "moreso" comment.

LOL.. the reason I think this gen is worse is because devs this gen. use ALL the same tricks they did in the previous gens to fluff the gameplay time but on top of that now we have the push for online so devs also fluff thier gameplay time with online modes.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Javy03
Some may think this has become a big deal this gen but since 2000, console online gaming been a huge deal for me when with the DC I was playing NFL2K1, NBA 2K1 and PSO. Was the reason I bought a Xbox on day one b/c I knew that online would be a major effort for MS and thus far this gen with 360, it's sure has proved to be the case. :DSecretPolice
Well you can honestly say then you were ahead of the loop in the console gaming departement. Because honestly the industry really didnt take online seriously last gen. Most games made did not have an online component and online wasnt even considered when devs were creating new franchises or sequels to games. There were a small number of games that were made with online in mind, even though both the PS2 and Xbox were online capable. Now however the first question any interviewer asks about a game is if it has an online component and the first points deducted/complaint by a reviewer is for lack of online.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#42 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
I agree with you, TC. There's too much focus on online, and it's really starting to take away from the single player and local multiplayer aspect of games.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Javy03

A lot of ideas gets left on the table because of disk space which could have made the game longer. Microsoft charge royalties for how many disk a games can have (The game Rage). Disk space is a factor.

CubanBlunt
Trust me alot of ideas get left on the table for a variety of reasons. Most are time constraints, not realistically possible, don't have the resources, etc. It would take alot of man power, creative ideas and time to fill up a disk with gaming. And of course all of those factors increase the amount of money invested in the game being made which has its limits because most games are not MGS, GEOW or Halo sellers. Like I said games have come out on the 360 with mutliple disks even though MS has taxed. And even if somehow someone doest want to invest money on MS disk taxes the reason again is not disk space but money.
krp008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 krp008
Member since 2006 • 4341 Posts

This is an online world now. Everyone is connected, no one is ever alone. Why play a game by yourself when you can play together with friends?

People like to be social (most of them anyway), MP is COMPETITIVE (its like a sport), and MP brings tons of replay value

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
Replay value for me. Not all games need it though. I enjoyed Bioshock and wasn't disappointed that it didn't have MP. However once I beat it that was it. Playing with or against a live opponent is more rewarding than going against the AI again.
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
I hardly ever play online. I always give it a go whenever I buy a game that supports it, but I never play for long. Maybe a few hours just for fun, but then I'll get bored and move back on to playing the single-player campaign. I'm just never compelled to invest time in online multi-player games, though co-op modes are sometimes fun. Something about it just annoys me, I don't know why.
krp008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 krp008
Member since 2006 • 4341 Posts

I hardly ever play online. I always give it a go whenever I buy a game that supports it, but I never play for long. Maybe a few hours just for fun, but then I'll get bored and move back on to playing the single-player campaign. I'm just never compelled to invest time in online multi-player games, though co-op modes are sometimes fun. Something about it just annoys me, I don't know why. Silent-Hal

Did you ever play any kind of sport in real life? If you are competitive, you will love online mp, especially in FPS's... If you arnt, i guess you will feel safe playing alone and against AI bots

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

[QUOTE="Silent-Hal"]I hardly ever play online. I always give it a go whenever I buy a game that supports it, but I never play for long. Maybe a few hours just for fun, but then I'll get bored and move back on to playing the single-player campaign. I'm just never compelled to invest time in online multi-player games, though co-op modes are sometimes fun. Something about it just annoys me, I don't know why. krp008

Did you ever play any kind of sport in real life? If you are competitive, you will love online mp, especially in FPS's... If you arnt, i guess you will feel safe playing alone and against AI bots

Ever heard of local multi-player? I enjoy playing with friends, but I don't think the online experience is for me. Nothing beats playing in the same room with people you know.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Online MP is one of my favourite things about this gen. The many hours I've spent on COD 3, Halo 3, Warhawk and now Resistance 2 were very well spent.
Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
While I agree that the focus of online multiplayer is pretty bad. I think that all single player games should have some extended form of replayability. Like for example, Create a Galaxy in SMG or Create a Dungeon in Zelda etc...