Thinking of buying Sonys VR, thoughts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GiveMeSomething
GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 GiveMeSomething
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts

Is it even worth it? can someone share their experiences? I want to know all the little details

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

I love mine. I play firewall almost everyday. I enjoy having the choice to play VR or amazing exclusives for the PS4. Go for it!

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

For me VR is as game changing as the transition from 2d sprites to 3d polygons was 25 years ago...probably more.

It still has plenty of room to improve, but at its current state is already incredible. Buy it with Astro Bot, you will not regret it.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts

VR seems to be a mixed bag. There are people who don't care about it at all but for those who do like the experience PSVR is probably the best option right now in the market due to price + amount and quality of games. So if you have tried VR before and liked it I'd say go for it.

GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GiveMeSomething

I havent tried VR before and i need to know if it lags or drops fps...glitches bugs.. everything. Cuz its pricey and black friday is fastly approaching

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dino7c
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

Most haters haven't even tried it...I was shocked by how well it works

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

It's amazing. Only thing I don't like is trying to play for more than an hour at a time. Astro Bot should be your first purchase, as far as a full game goes. If you like fps games, farpoint with the aim controller is cool, and raw data with the move controllers. I personally hate teleportation, so if it's available, I stick with the normal controls that used use on a controller, except look would be moving your head and aim is with the peripherals... The joystick just lets you run or walk(I guess the other joystick can be used like normal for strafing, but watch out for motion sickness). Another thing, I'd recommend getting your setup done with calibration first time and keeping the camera and chair in the same spot when you play. It's not always necessary but seems to work flawlessly that way.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zappat
@GiveMeSomething said:

I havent tried VR before and i need to know if it lags or drops fps...glitches bugs.. everything. Cuz its pricey and black friday is fastly approaching

go to a store and try it first to see if it works for you and you should have a Pro if you care for better gameplay quality

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ahmedkhan1994
Member since 2008 • 714 Posts

idk bout PSVR but im planning on getting the HTC Vive for my PC sometime after im done upgrading my home theatre system. probably gonna be summer of next year.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@GiveMeSomething: You don't need much room for the camera. Motion sickness on some games. Hardly a breaking point for all the other games that don't cause motion sickness.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

Just look at the comments so far in this thread...then head over to the official PSVR reddit. There are millions of PSVR fans that love this revolutionary peripheral and they will tell you exactly why. But you can't really understand until you try it yourself. Trust me (and 3+ million others), PSVR is amazing. There are good games and bad games, of course, but at this point the list of good/great ones is sizable. VR is incredible.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

Get Super Hot.

Don’t think about it...just do it.

Thank me later.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Try VR on your phone with a cheap headset first. There is lots to try and it's all mostly free, I got a headset for £7 and put my iPhone 7 in it and was very surprised with how good it is.

If you like that then shell out for the PSVR.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@boycie: Nice comment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I bought one and got rid of it a few months later. It is interesting but the image quality is pretty terrible and even the better games are like 6/10 games if it wasn't for being VR. And I got my self wondering, why am I using the little time I have available for gaming with games that look and play worst than a traditional game.

So I'll advise you to wait for next gen when the tech has matured a bit more.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@elitegaming247 said:

I highly recommend it especially right now. PSVR has some high quality gems on it at the moment. Wait till Black Friday and see if you can get a good deal on one.

This is the correct answer. Wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday for a greater better deal then paying right now. PSVR now is growing since it is the only VR on current-gen consoles, PSVR has a nice range of exclusive games to go with it. I played VR on both PSVR & HTC Vive for PC, all in all, VR itself is a nice new experience how you would play, but I can tell you know, VR itself is still in it's infant stage.

Also TC, when you do pick up PSVR, buy "Astro Bot" it's consider the best experience on PSVR.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

If you like this sort of thing...

"Halloweeny inspired"

Go for it. lol :P

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Cows told me it was great for racing, but i'm not too sure lol

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Cows told you that? Are Cows living rent free in you're silly head now?

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

VR is and will always be best on PC. But hey, if you have the spare change and want to experience it, go with it. I had many fun hours in my PsVr and some games are really good.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zappat
@davillain- said:
@i_p_daily said:

Cows told you that? Are Cows living rent free in you're silly head now?

He has a cow homunculus making him butthurt 24/7.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

@phbz said:

I bought one and got rid of it a few months later. It is interesting but the image quality is pretty terrible and even the better games are like 6/10 games if it wasn't for being VR. And I got my self wondering, why am I using the little time I have available for gaming with games that look and play worst than a traditional game.

So I'll advise you to wait for next gen when the tech has matured a bit more.

That doesn't matter though? If it's VR, it's VR. That's the reality of it. It doesn't matter if it would be average without it. Anyway, you need to try Astro Bot, as it's a game that looks very solid inside the headset and plays very well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@blueberry_bandit: Now it's too late for that as I don't own the PSVR anymore. But I'll probably return to VR once it matures.

What I meant is that I got that initial enthusiasm you get from new tech but after a while the novelty was gone and the mist games felt just ok and not worth my limited time compared with other games.

Some games are even worse with VR imo. RE was an amazing experience initially in VR, while you're just exploring, but once it starts to be more reliant on game play it becomes kind of shit show. But Thumper in VR is a good game made better with VR.

jroseland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jroseland
Member since 2018 • 9 Posts

Is there really a big difference between this and the cheapo style headsets that you just put your smartphone in?

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#27  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Haha great pic!

Forget cows anyway, VR is amazing. I find hard to believe in those who say they tried VR and didn't like it. Being inside our videogames is something we gamers have been deaming for decades. Now it's finally here and it works.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

@jroseland: Big difference. I've used both and the psvr has much better image quality and immersion/3d effect.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

The only thing I don't like about it are all the cables.

Get these games:

Thumper

Rez Infinite

Superhot

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@GiveMeSomething said:

Is it even worth it? can someone share their experiences? I want to know all the little details

I had the psvr, I have the oculus, the oculus is much much better.

The psvr isn't bad though but it's lacking in a number of ways compared to the oculus.

You can basically narrow it down to 3 things,

1: 360 roomscale: the oculus can do 360 roomscale, the psvr not so much, if you turn around the camera will lose the sight of your controllers because you block the view with your body.

2: tracking: the oculus controllers and headset have 1 on 1 tracking that means your movements will translate in the game perfectly, with the psvr that isn't the case especially the controllers can be very frustrating, the farpoint gun is pretty good though.

3. Image quality and performance, with a pc you can increase the image quality and performance significantly, there's a reason why fallout 4 isn't on the psvr.

Of course the psvr is way cheaper especially if you already have a playstation, but a gtx 1060 is pretty much all you need on the pc, that is if you aren't playing fallout 4 (and that will run too though, but if you want if fluently you'll need a gtx 1070)

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blueberry_Bandit

@phbz said:

@blueberry_bandit: Now it's too late for that as I don't own the PSVR anymore. But I'll probably return to VR once it matures.

What I meant is that I got that initial enthusiasm you get from new tech but after a while the novelty was gone and the mist games felt just ok and not worth my limited time compared with other games.

Some games are even worse with VR imo. RE was an amazing experience initially in VR, while you're just exploring, but once it starts to be more reliant on game play it becomes kind of shit show. But Thumper in VR is a good game made better with VR.

Some games might be worse with VR (not the fault of VR, a fault of the developer), but most are best in VR. Games like Hellblade, Wipeout, Thumper, Rez Infinite, Elite Dangerous, Alien Isolation.

Even something like Astro Bot shows that Mario would just be outright better in VR, and makes me hopeful for Nintendo's VR plans in the future.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

If you can get it cheap go for it but I would suggest trying out a demo in a store first. I've been playing with VR since 2013/14 when I bought dev kits from Oculus. I currently own PSVR and a consumer Rift both purchased at launch.

PSVR is great, for what it is and there are some cool games...my favorite being Farpoint with the aim controller. They nailed that one! I can't wait until they make a full version of the The Heist. It's a cool tech demo you can try out in the store :)

It's a good entry level VR HMD but the system as a whole leaves some things to be desired. The tracking can get down right awful at times and you may find the screen "drifiting" requiring you to reset often. The muddy graphics can sometimes be glaring and then when trying to view enemies at far distances...yikes! But those are easily overcome if you are immersed in game....you look past it. It is no where near the level of the Rift/Vive but did anyone expect it to be running off a PS4? For what it is, it is great and if you try and like it....it's well worth the purchase.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

youll probably love it when you first get it. unless you are one of the ones that get sick or dizzy.

then after the novelty wears off in a week or month. with basically no games worth playing. youll either sell it or just go back to regular gaming.

GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GiveMeSomething

@KBFloYd:

Yeah sadly ive decided i wont buy it unless its a really good deal on BF.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@KBFloYd said:

youll probably love it when you first get it. unless you are one of the ones that get sick or dizzy.

then after the novelty wears off in a week or month. with basically no games worth playing. youll either sell it or just go back to regular gaming.

Looking forward to the next PSVR exclusive game thread you show up to, criticize the game for having few reviews, then proceed to abandon the thread in shame when the reviews come flooding in. By the way, Astro Bot is still sitting at 90 on MC with 41 reviews. ;)

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@KBFloYd said:

Owner of a headset (Rift) for 28 months. Still being blown away, still loving it, still just as excited as ever.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KBFloYd

@reduc_ab_ said:
@KBFloYd said:

Looking forward to the next PSVR exclusive game thread you show up to, criticize the game for having few reviews, then proceed to abandon the thread in shame when the reviews come flooding in. By the way, Astro Bot is still sitting at 90 on MC with 41 reviews. ;)

astro bot?

that shit is even worse than labo.

why are you doing this to yourself? just hype spiderman and the last of us like a good playstation fangirl and let this silly failed peripheral die.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KBFloYd

@blueberry_bandit said:
@KBFloYd said:

Owner of a headset (Rift) for 28 months. Still being blown away, still loving it, still just as excited as ever.

how would you say you split your time?

what percent is regular gaming? and what percent is gaming with that stupid headset on?

don't lie now...

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

@that_old_guy: definitely get Super hot. Great game even in non vr.

crazypal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 crazypal
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts

For me it was a great experience that I was a happy to have as a gamer and there are lots of titles that are worth it.

Just mind two things:

1) make sure you find games that appeal to you like in any other system the games make it or break it. I loved RE7 on it especially if it was your first time with it.

2) I cannot stress this enough but be sure that you can tolerate it. I have no issues with it but I was surprised how many people, friends and relatives threw up in my apartment cuz of the nausea it caused them.

Start with games that doesn't make ya move alot and work your way from there.

Happy VR gaming.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@KBFloYd said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@KBFloYd said:

how would you say you split your time?

what percent is regular gaming? and what percent is gaming with that stupid headset on?

don't lie now...

It shifts from time to time depending on what comes out. Right now it's about 60/40 in favor of non-VR because I have a backlog of games I want to get through. When Zero Caliber VR aka this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8auRepFbwM releases in a couple of weeks, as well as Echo Combat shortly after, I'll be spending a lot more time in VR.

But just because it's 60/40 now does not mean I'm not using VR often, I still am. There will come a point in a few years when I game 100% in VR, no exceptions made. That doesn't mean I will completely give up on non-VR, it just means that I will play everything within a virtual environment, either a full VR game (planned to be the majority), or a non-VR game on a giant crystal clear virtual screen. (planned to be the minority)

I personally only gravitate towards certain non-VR genres now. FPS and Racing are off the menu because I truthfully cannot enjoy them as much anymore after experiencing those genres in VR.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@blueberry_bandit: I bet with the Rift on PC you get a much better experience than with the PSVR.

Racing games are probably going to be my biggest call to buy VR again next gen... But again, I tried Driveclub VR and Jebus that was awfull. But I'm pretty sure a proper racing game with good visual fidelity will make me a hardcore vr fanboy, it's just that as a console guy my options are pretty pathetic right now.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3024 Posts

PSVR is amazing! It's hard to go back to flat gaming after you play in VR. Like others have said, pick up Resident Evil 7, Astro Bot , Firewall Zero , Skyrim , Doom. Really just buy everything under the VR section in the playstation store. I have yet to be disappointed with any PSVR game. I'd say it's a must have for any playstation 4 owner.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@phbz said:

@blueberry_bandit: I bet with the Rift on PC you get a much better experience than with the PSVR.

Racing games are probably going to be my biggest call to buy VR again next gen... But again, I tried Driveclub VR and Jebus that was awfull. But I'm pretty sure a proper racing game with good visual fidelity will make me a hardcore vr fanboy, it's just that as a console guy my options are pretty pathetic right now.

A better experience, definitely. Though PSVR games like Astro Bot, RE7, and Wipeout are very good in their own right.

Racing wheel + a 2nd gen headset that can scan your full body and hands will be insane stuff to look forward to.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

@phbz: Super Hot in VR is worth the price of admission alone.

And none of the problems that you have are in Super Hot bc of the graphic style.

It’s actually better in VR.