theories on the next nintendo handheld

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts
ninty has already filled many patents for stuff like that motion sensing gameboy phone, etc they have already made a processor equivalent to the Cube's but meant for a hand held that means a theoritical 485mhz CPU for the next nintendo DS that sounds awesome but what could be even better is if they graduate from cartridges to using dual layered GCN 3.0gb discs i really dont think sony has a card to play against this. by the time this theoritically happens the DS lite might be 50, maybe 60 million units ahead of the psp, so why try again? do u think the psp will eventually go the way of the gamegear, or more of the walkman(still around but ipods,zunes,creatives, and san disks are loads more popular)
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
yeah i don;t see nintendo going with any MORE screens, and there suckers for BC so the next one might end up being a DS.2.0 like advance was to colour
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

yeah i don;t see nintendo going with any MORE screens, and there suckers for BC so the next one might end up being a DS.2.0 like advance was to colourdarkspineslayer

the gameboy colour was garbage as far as im concerned what a disapointment

the GBA however was GOD

shaggygrosser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shaggygrosser
Member since 2003 • 5871 Posts
three screens. yes
blazer224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blazer224
Member since 2007 • 397 Posts

Personally, i dont see nintendo going with any disc-base format. Quick loading times are critical for a handheld, and most disk based formats dont do a good job with that. Disc also eat up batteries like crazy.

Gamecube graphics would be nice. It would be funny if it ended up having better graphics than the wii.

I think it will either have 2 touch screens, or just one screen only, meaning, they have to change the name.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]yeah i don;t see nintendo going with any MORE screens, and there suckers for BC so the next one might end up being a DS.2.0 like advance was to colourst1ka

the gameboy colour was garbage as far as im concerned what a disapointment

the GBA however was GOD

i agree, but it had its share of classics.

i was just trying to make a technical comparison

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Personally, i dont see nintendo going with any disc-base format. Quick loading times are critical for a handheld, and most disk based formats dont do a good job with that. Disc also eat up batteries like crazy.

Gamecube graphics would be nice. It would be funny if it ended up having better graphics than the wii.

I think it will either have 2 touch screens, or just one screen only, meaning, they have to change the name.

blazer224

Yeah, optical discs aren't a step foward but a step back IMO. A lot more storage space is only needed for CGI cutscenes and I am OK without that many of them. I predict an even brighter screen with a higher resolution and probely a tilt sensor of some sort.

XprimeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 XprimeX
Member since 2006 • 1148 Posts
The DS is a major success but I dont think nintendo is going to go with two screens again, its not their style to do something again just because it works, I think they will change, maybe even revolutionize handhelds AGAIN. I would love for them to pick up the gameboy line again With the GBA2, one screen, gcube graphics, wifi, itll be awesome!
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
I think they should use the GC disks, I mean think about it, the disks for GC weren't big, if they gave it a sucky in disk slot thingy, then that'd stop problems that the PSP disk tray had, plus all the extra stuff you can fit on those disks.
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

blazer224

DS = Developer's System.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts

The DS is a different franchise from the Game Boy.

I don't know if the Game Boy will return, since the PSP didn't do so well on it.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

The DS is a different franchise from the Game Boy.

I don't know if the Game Boy will return, since the PSP didn't do so well on it.

Willy105

Would it surprise you if the gameboy made a comeback?

kirk4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kirk4ever
Member since 2005 • 3543 Posts
it will be the ds but with majow graphical boost-they have made enough money now so they can lower the price...they will not profit at first but will after millions of sales...same formula for the wii
adman66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 adman66
Member since 2003 • 1744 Posts
they will make it bc with cube games, now that would be sweet, but like it was mentioned earlyer, i think nintendo will stick with cartridges because they like haveing batery life with handhelds
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
i think it will be a DS modification.
Fathern8092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fathern8092
Member since 2005 • 281 Posts

I think the DS pretty much reached the peak of what is possible on cartridge.

• Mini Disks
  • Gamecube like graphics
  • Flash Memory
  • Dual Screen
  • Touch
  • Motion Control
  • Compatible with Wiis VC via SD Card Slot
  • Improved WiFi Service
  • Slick Design like the Wii and DS Lite
  • Possible BC with Gamecube
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

they will make it bc with cube games, now that would be sweet, but like it was mentioned earlyer, i think nintendo will stick with cartridges because they like haveing batery life with handheldsadman66

I'm not sure about that. The Gamecube controller has two analog sticks, one D-pad, four face buttons, two triggers, and a shoulder button. Adding all that crap to a handheld would be overkill. Plus, it would defeat the purpose of having touchscreen technology.

I agree with the DVD thing. Considering the pace at which flash drive technology is advancing, a DVD/Mini DVD for a handled is not a good idea.

-Sphere-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 -Sphere-
Member since 2008 • 1063 Posts
I wouldn't want to carry around small disks with me everywhere due to that fact that they can snap or scratch. With that being said I did accidentally snap a DS game trying to put it in the DS. :)
iamsickofspam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 iamsickofspam
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts

but what could be even better is if they graduate from cartridges to using dual layered GCN 3.0gb discsdarth-pyschosis

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Flash/RAND memory is so cheap to produce now, they could manufacture carts that are a couple of Gbyte easy peasy, Nintendo DS carts are only 128mb /1 Gigabit.

iamsickofspam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 iamsickofspam
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts

If nintendo could Keep a similar design to the DS but increase the main CPU speed to about 300-400mhz, up the memory from the 4mb it has to about 32 or 64mb, double the screen resolution and make both screens touch screen.

An internal SD memory card slot that takes SDHC cards would be awesome, as you could probably have 16-32gb storage cards pretty cheap by then, a decent inbuilt multimedia function wouldnt go amiss either, IE Web browser inbuilt, organizer, mp3 player, videoplayer ect.

Backwards compatability with DS games would be sweet too.