Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45238 Posts

My answer: constant updates

I hate that games constantly have updates. COD is one of the worst when it comes to that. While I appreciate that new content is being added, it's really annoying when you have to download them in order to play multiplayer. Also, some of these patches are huge. The one I'm downloading now is 50gb. Looks like I'm not the only one bothered by this - https://www.polygon.com/call-of-duty/2020/2/12/21135243/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-update-size-gb-ps4-xbox-one-pc-season-2-feb-11-patch

How about you, SW? What's the worst thing about this generation of gaming?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

Yeah, the patches issue is getting silly. Especially when I had a data cap, but not so much now I have fibre...updates happen at night and i haven't had to bother with it.

Patches and download sizes will only get bigger next gen, so we better get used to it.

I'd say day specifically day one patches are the worst. Pop in a disc, and installation times and day one patches mean i couldn't play the game for hours.

Generally though, there's nothing I truly hate about this gen.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

Greed

A lot of companies like boasting about making billions from their microtransactions and lootboxes.

CEO's get millions in bonusses each year while low level developers get layed off upon completion of a game or if the game wasn't succesful enough (or hell, even when it was succesful enough).

This industry is really unethical and driven purely by capitalism.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Day 1 patches that are gigs in size and loading times, that's why I love auto resume.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34666 Posts

I love when devs update my games. They can make their games better anytime they want. A 50gb patch sounds insane though. They should probably warn console users about it, since that takes up a large portion of most console owners storage.

I'm however unaffected by whatever CoD games does. Those games are terrible and I wouldn't even think about playing one in this day and age. Everyone who does can suit themselves for playing crap games with crap management. There's been so much shit regarding this series through so many years. People who continue buying this series every freaking year is part of its problems. Forgive me for having zero compassion for you guys.

I'm also unaffected by whatever PS or Xbox games does. Those consoles are bad and I wouldn't even think about playing games on them. I'd be beyond annoyed with too many things, like games not running properly. Devs acting like they run properly is even more annoying.

Patches are awesome. They're annoying for you PS / Xbox owners? Maybe it's time to stop complaining about bad systems being bad and get a better one. It's not like patches are gonna go away in the future.

I can recommend PC gaming. It's great.

Anywho, to answer the thread: By far the worst thing this gen is the continuing push for microtransactions in everything. It goes so far as games being designed around microtransactions from the beginning. Not only is it a fucking terrible business practice with the goal to milk people of as much money as possible, it actively makes games worse in the process.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#6 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15943 Posts

Sony never updates Bloodborne for PS4pro.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Litchie said:

I love when devs update my games. They can make their games better anytime they want. A 50gb patch sounds insane though. They should probably warn console users about it, since that takes up a large portion of most console owners storage.

I'm however unaffected by whatever CoD games does. Those games are terrible and I wouldn't even think about playing one in this day and age. Everyone who does can suit themselves for playing crap games with crap management. There's been so much shit regarding this series through so many years. People who continue buying this series every freaking year is part of its problems. Forgive me for having zero compassion for you guys.

I'm also unaffected by whatever PS or Xbox games does. Those consoles are bad and I wouldn't even think about playing games on them. I'd be beyond annoyed with too many things, like games not running properly. Devs acting like they run properly is even more annoying.

Patches are awesome. They're annoying for you PS / Xbox owners? Maybe it's time to stop complaining about bad systems being bad and get a better one. It's not like patches are gonna go away in the future.

I can recommend PC gaming. It's great.

Anywho, to answer the thread: By far the worst thing this gen is the continuing push for microtransactions in everything. It goes so far as games being designed around microtransactions from the beginning. Not only is it a fucking terrible business practice with the goal to milk people of as much money as possible, it actively makes games worse in the process.

Hermits says the dumbest things.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

Don't care for day 1 patches/updates. You either have it or you don't.

My answer: lack of imagination/innovation in games is my problem. At least Nintendo still has innovation.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Litchie

@i_p_daily said:

Totes. Being annoyed with a thing and get a better thing instead is totally insane. Stay with the thing you dislike and complain about it is the smartest.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

The false narrative of calling a handheld mobile device a console. lol :P

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I can't just name one this is my least favorite generation in gaming ever.

• The lack of new and exciting IP's
  • Microstractions and lootboxes
  • Cash grab remasters
  • Konami turning into greedy pricks and not making awesome games anymore
  • The cancellations of Sleeping Dogs 2, Prey 2, GTAV singleplayer DLC, P.T ect..
  • False advertising graphic downgrades
  • No new GTA game this gen
  • Dead Space series dead
  • The rise of PUBG and Fortnite
  • Underpowered consoles the CPU Jaguar held back alot of games this gen
  • Greed, Greed and more Greed this the most greedy gen when it comes to gaming publishers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Litchie said:
@i_p_daily said:

Totes. Being annoyed with a thing and get a better thing instead is totally insane. Stay with the thing you dislike and complain about it is the smartest.

Games run properly on console as well as games that have issues, but EVERY system has these issues, but, but consoles.

Just like every platform has patches, even PC so what device should one get that doesn't have them???

Like I said dumb comments.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator

@warmblur: Why do we need a new GTA game this gen? GTAV was more then enough and RDR2 was new this gen that it needs to shine. I'm sorry but GTA needs a long hiatus and Rockstars either needs to revamp the series or come up with a new IP cause playing GTAV just tells me they cannot do justice with GTAVI.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Litchie

@i_p_daily said:
@Litchie said:
@i_p_daily said:

Games run properly on console as well as games that have issues, but EVERY system has these issues, but, but consoles.

Just like every platform has patches, even PC so what device should one get that doesn't have them???

Inconsistent 30 fps = game running properly for most console owners.

Inconsistent 30 fps = game not running properly for me.

Different standards.

Saying that PC has the same problems as the consoles is just wrong. Is your PC version of a multiplat running bad? Upgrade computer. Is it running bad on your console? Well, too bad.

And yes, all systems have patches. I didn't mean that getting another system would fix whatever issue you have with patches. This comment:

"Patches are awesome. They're annoying for you PS / Xbox owners? Maybe it's time to stop complaining about bad systems being bad and get a better one."

was a bad and stupid comment, totally agree with you. I was thinking of other times you console owners complain about huge patches and thought it was a console exclusive thing, since I have never seen a 50gb patch for any of my PC games. But again, I don't play CoD, Anthem, FIFA, or whatever junk complainers play, and maybe that's why I haven't seen such huge patches.

I did mention a fix for not having to deal with a 50gb patch, though. Don't play the latest CoD. Pretty good advice, if I say so myself.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7254 Posts

What I hate is the fact you have to download the disc before playing the game. Xbox worse than anything else.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Litchie said:
@i_p_daily said:
@Litchie said:
@i_p_daily said:

Inconsistent 30 fps = game running properly for most console owners.

Inconsistent 30 fps = game not running properly for me.

Different standards.

Saying that PC has the same problems as the consoles is just wrong. Is your PC version of a multiplat running bad? Upgrade computer. Is it running bad on your console? Well, too bad.

And yes, all systems have patches. I didn't mean that getting another system would fix whatever issue you have with patches. This comment:

"Patches are awesome. They're annoying for you PS / Xbox owners? Maybe it's time to stop complaining about bad systems being bad and get a better one."

was a bad and stupid comment, totally agree with you. I was thinking of other times you console owners complain about huge patches and thought it was a console exclusive thing, since I have never seen a 50gb patch for any of my PC games. But again, I don't play CoD, Anthem, FIFA, or whatever junk complainers play, and maybe that's why I haven't seen such huge patches.

I did mention a fix for not having to deal with a 50gb patch, though. Don't play the latest CoD. Pretty good advice, if I say so myself.

I don't play CoD, Anthem, FIFA and I've never downloaded a 50gig patch before either that I can remember, so i'm not sure which of these complainers you're talking about.

Even a 5gig patch is a pain in the arse though, I mean when a game goes gold it means its ready for public consumption, and when there's a patch day 1 it means that the game wasn't ready after all.

If the game isn't running at a consistent frame rate then yeah that sucks, but it does happen to all devices, while it may be less on PC that doesn't mean it doesn't happen at all.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5267 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Greed

A lot of companies like boasting about making billions from their microtransactions and lootboxes.

CEO's get millions in bonusses each year while low level developers get layed off upon completion of a game or if the game wasn't succesful enough (or h***, even when it was succesful enough).

You want government control of the industry instead?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Litchie

@i_p_daily: True true. Guess we'll just have to accept that a game going gold doesn't mean the same thing anymore. Thanks for having a convo with me dude, despite my bad choice of words..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Litchie said:

@i_p_daily: True true. Guess we'll just have to accept that a game going gold doesn't mean the same thing anymore. Thanks for having a convo with me dude, despite my bad choice of words..

All good.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

@onesiphorus said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Greed

CEO's get millions in bonusses each year while low level developers get layed off upon completion of a game or if the game wasn't succesful enough (or h***, even when it was succesful enough).

Always faithful... Hoorah. :D

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44277 Posts

I’d say that day one patches are my biggest pet peeve these days. I prefer buying my games on a physical format but I feel like my choice is being undermined by these day one patches. If the game needs to be delayed a bit longer to have a more finished product on the disc then I really wish that these companies would do that.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Sony never updates Bloodborne for PS4pro.

Yeah that's ****ed

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

Battle Royale

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

Probably the push for micro transactions and gaming as a service. we even have companies taking another crack at streaming games again....blech....just no.

The AAA segment of the industry (in terms of production budget) has been poor this gen imho. I suspect I'm just not their target demographic any more to be honest.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

micro transactions.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts

@onesiphorus said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Greed

He didnt necessarily say that.

Most likely scenario is that he just wants CEOs to take better care of their employees. You know... like with Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@davillain- said:

@warmblur: Why do we need a new GTA game this gen? GTAV was more then enough and RDR2 was new this gen that it needs to shine. I'm sorry but GTA needs a long hiatus and Rockstars either needs to revamp the series or come up with a new IP cause playing GTAV just tells me they cannot do justice with GTAVI.

Because it's my favorite series of all time. :p

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9578 Posts

Easily remakes and remasters. Just give us new games.. prequels/sequels/add ons are fine, but this cheap cash grab by redoing games for people that are buying them that absolutely LOVED when they originally launched (aka never played them) is getting out of hand. The vast majority of the time the originals are better anyways... It makes sense bringing the games to handheld for the first time and makes the most sense with Switch, although I would still rather see originals.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@warmblur said:

I can't just name one this is my least favorite generation in gaming ever.

• The rise of PUBG and Fortnite

Rest valid, this is hardly a bad thing. Every gen has some break out game, probably one that isn't your cup of tea. Neither of those games have brought upon any unique damage, and all things considered PUBG's contribution with the battle royale stuff is a net positive as far as enjoyable FPS action.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22388 Posts

All the points mentioned above, plus also the number of games that are becoming open-world snoozefests with boring filler missions. Even games like Gears 5 (which is still great), the open sections of that game are boring and unnecessary.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DaVillain  Moderator

@warmblur said:
@davillain- said:

Play RDR2.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@davillain-: you mean the walking simulator that doesn't have all that much in common with GTA?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@the_bi99man: Red Dead Redemption needs more loving than GTA.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

timed exclusivity

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Nintendo Online Game library compared to virtual console

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

All the points mentioned above, plus also the number of games that are becoming open-world snoozefests with boring filler missions. Even games like Gears 5 (which is still great), the open sections of that game are boring and unnecessary.

We need a return of more linear games indeed.

If you are going to build an open world only to fill it with useless, samey missions, then don't even bother.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#37 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59070 Posts

Greed.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7254 Posts

Micro transactions were a huge problem early on definitely seemed to have calmed down.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45238 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: I'll take a good linear game over boring open world

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5267 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Greed.

Had greed been going on for much of the industry's history? What makes greed different in this generation than in past generations?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@davillain- said:
@warmblur said:
@davillain- said:

Play RDR2.

I own it on PS4 and PC and beat it on both lol it's a great game no doubt but I enjoy GTAV much more I prefer modern setting and the variety it comes with.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

America

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#43 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59070 Posts

@onesiphorus said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Greed.

Had greed been going on for much of the industry's history? What makes greed different in this generation than in past generations?

Greed isn't a fixed measurement and it existing prior doesn't exclude it existing now, this is a mediocre attempt at a "gotcha".

What makes greed different from prior generations is namely online connectivity and the models being created around it.

Hope this helps.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58378 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Greed

CEO's get millions in bonusses each year while low level developers get layed off upon completion of a game or if the game wasn't succesful enough (or hell, even when it was succesful enough).

Yeah I was going to say this as well.

In particular, the "games as a service" half-assed gimmick, and loot boxes/vanity DLC.

Very few companies in the actual service industry (hotels, restaurants, salons, car repair shops, and so on) actually manage to provide a great service, and we expect the game industry to do just as good a job [or better, preferably]? Not going to happen.

@uninspiredcup said:
@onesiphorus said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Greed.

Greed isn't a fixed measurement and it existing prior doesn't exclude it existing now, this is a mediocre attempt at a "gotcha".

What makes greed different from prior generations is namely online connectivity and the models being created around it.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, seems like the greed has really ramped up since 2010.

• Loot boxes
  • Pre-release DLC
  • Game + season pass + "special" edition = 120+ USD...that's rediculous, even for a fancy version of a game.
  • Everyone wants to have their own digital storefront, and they're willing to fragment the whole deal to do so.
  • Rush for exclusivity; Tencent-Epic Game Store was arguably the worst offender.
  • Sub-par service for products; again, Tencent-Epic offers relatively NO additional services on their store front. Bethesda released a broken half-assed MMO-looter-shooter, and then they expect you to pay a subscription for components that should have been included with the base game.
  • Facebook/Oculus dividing an incredibly fragile and niche concept (VR) for exclusivity. Now is not the time to divide and conquer! Now is the time to band together and grow! VR is amazing but if they're fighting over territory with only <5% of gamers owning VR, it's going to kill itself before it even becomes popular.
  • Poor quality. Games are released broken, "day 1" patches seem to be standard now.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3078 Posts

Everything

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1351 Posts

the excessive downloads and pay to win games, or microtransactions are a big turn off for me. I liked the old days of gaming where you just bought a disc and it had the whole game on it and there were no options for paying real money for in game content.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

DLC for sure, fighting games take one of the biggest hits, its like they have 4-6 character packs already made at release and just slowly release them for money, most straight up now just offer the fighter pass upfront, makes it a $90 dollar game at launch its disgusting. so blatant..

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Popularity. The games were way better when games were still made for fewer people and the technology was still crappy. Which is why I barely play games anymore. Kojima is an example. I liked his games way more when he was limited by the crappiness of the PS2. The crappiness of the PS2 also produced Shadow of the Colossus, which I'd rather play than any of Sony's expensive modern movie games.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@davillain-: true. It takes some time. And it's good, don't get me wrong. At least after the first few hours where you really do nothing but walk. I just don't think it's a viable alternative if one is craving more GTA. Most of people's favorite things about GTA are things that rely on the modern setting. Cars, planes and other vehicles, automatic guns and explosives, huge city to **** around in, etc.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22388 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

We need a return of more linear games indeed.

If you are going to build an open world only to fill it with useless, samey missions, then don't even bother.

Yep, agreed.

Devs/publishers (and I'm sure a lot of gamers) seem to think that the longer a game is, the better value for money it is. Which to me is ridiculous... I'd much rather a compacted, more focused experience that is 10 hours long, instead of a 50 hour + game that is mostly running or riding through an empty game world doing fetch quests.

For example, I've completely gone off the Assassin's Creed games because of this.