the world knows Blizzard is the king of rpg's not Square-enix

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kakarot00769

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kakarot00769
Member since 2004 • 9306 Posts

Square-enix praise usually comes from console sheep who has never touched a blizzard game or the rpg gamer that refuses to pay for a fee (which is fine) but have no clue what they are missing , jrpg's are good and i used to praise it a lot (especially ff3 and chrono trigger for snes and ff7 -ff 10 across platforms )

n terms of the sheer size .replayability ,intuitive battle system , reward ,fun factor ,great boss fights and true meaning of team dependent gameplay and of course pvp no square enix game or console rpg will ever top world of warcraft ..dont agree with me ask the 11 million people across the globe that played it

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/index.html?tag=result;title;0

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraftexp1/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review

no square enix game has ever been winner of gamespot goty ,heck i cant even remember any square enix game to be nominated for goty @ gs ..

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Way to confuse genres

You're talking apples and oranges.

As far as RPG WITHOUT the MMO part everyone is going to have their own tastes.

I prefer Japanese RPG's while others prefer Western RPG's

proud722

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 proud722
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts
King of mmos yes, but of rpgs. Just no.
Dr-Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Dr-Doctor
Member since 2006 • 707 Posts

I don't think both WOW and Final Fantasy series are similar enough to compare(except for one finak fantasy game.)

Some people prefer JRPGs more, some people prefer MMORPGS.

skanjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 skanjos
Member since 2006 • 647 Posts

i am playing world of warcraft m8 and i play it before bc was introduces,i raided onyxia and ragnaros when they were super hardcore bosses and i know the feeling of killing the boss with other 39 people,but wow came downhill after the bc was here and i dont enjoy it that much anymore.i play wow for the story ,and i agree its great but still it doesnt touch ffvi or ffvii and my feelings for these 2 games

they are both great companies one for wrpgs and one for jrpgs ,if i had to declare a winner it would be nippon ichi because all of the games they made for ps2 were masterpieces but they were srpgs.

so you get the point.if i had to put an order it would be like that

nippon ichi for srpgs

squareenix for jrpgs

blizzard for wrpgs

Jamex1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jamex1987
Member since 2008 • 2187 Posts
I would never pay 14.95 a month to pay one game. Never
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

I would never pay 14.95 a month to pay one game. NeverJamex1987

Yes because £2.30 a week for such long lasting entertainment is a rip off compared to buying £40 games every month :roll:

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

Blizzard, king of RPGs? No.

Diablo was a fantastic, addictive and fun game, not much of a fantastic RPG though.

As far as MMORPGs go though, sure.

Jamex1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jamex1987
Member since 2008 • 2187 Posts

[QUOTE="Jamex1987"]I would never pay 14.95 a month to pay one game. NeverPC360Wii

Yes because £2.30 a week for such long lasting entertainment is a rip off compared to buying £40 games every month :roll:

Don't buy games ever month and I can rent a few games for that price. 14.95 a month is too much for one game but i guess it might be worth it for those that play a lot. WoW subscribers probably only play that one game. I can go weeks without playing a single game.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PC360Wii

bioware is king of western-'

square-SOFT (r.i.p) IS the king of *** rpgs..

blizz is king of mmo's

Angakua

Blizzard is king of Multiplayer games I would say is more accurate. Starcraft, Warcaft, WoW, Diablo .... every isngle one is still play by massive ammounts of players to this day.

I logged on Diablo II the other day and saw 22000 people still playing it, crazy.

As far as MMORPG goes Blizzard is the best there is ( Currently )... however so many people here stick to thier small minded opinions of what a "Real RPG is" ... when in reality they are all equal RPGs that focus on different aspects.

hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
World of Warcraft is the worst game ever
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

[QUOTE="Jamex1987"]I would never pay 14.95 a month to pay one game. NeverPC360Wii

I can buy a console game for $60. I can play it and every other game I buy online for a full year if I pay $50. Thats $110. The price for a year of WoW is $14.95 x 12 = $179.40. I could actually buy another console game and the total cost would still be $10 less than playing WoW for a year. On top of that, if I want to play those games online next year, all I have to pay is $50 for Live. For WoW, I have to drop another $179.40.

Explain to me how $180 a year to play 1 game is a good deal vs $170 to play 2 games online or $180 for 3 single player games.
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PC360Wii
[QUOTE="PC360Wii"]

[QUOTE="Jamex1987"]I would never pay 14.95 a month to pay one game. NeverSenor_Kami

I can buy a console game for $60. I can play it and every other game I buy online for a full year if I pay $50. Thats $110. The price for a year of WoW is $14.95 x 12 = $179.40. I could actually buy another console game and the total cost would still be $10 less than playing WoW for a year. On top of that, if I want to play those games online next year, all I have to pay is $50 for Live. For WoW, I have to drop another $179.40.

Explain to me how $180 a year to play 1 game is a good deal vs $170 to play 2 games online or $180 for 3 single player games.

Ok first off, I dont know why im replying to you because you make up a load of rubbish in every post, but here goes:

You can ... but you dont.... and saying so is a complete lie and you know it.

Kakarot00769

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kakarot00769
Member since 2004 • 9306 Posts

Way to confuse genres

Jaysonguy

mmorpg , rpg ,action rpg ...theyre all role playing games .

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PC360Wii
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Way to confuse genres

Kakarot00769

Bingo, I cant believe people think otherwise...

Blommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blommen
Member since 2003 • 1337 Posts

Bioware sits on that throne not Blizzard.

oh and get your genres right before you start bashing...

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"][QUOTE="PC360Wii"]

Ok first off, I dont know why im replying to you because you make up a load of rubbish in every post, but here goes:

So you're saying that WoW isn't a monthly fee, and that console games aren't $60 and that Live isn't $50. I've made up all of that? I have a 360. I know 100% for sure that new games do retail for $60 and that Live is $50. Going to Blizzard.com they make it very obvious that WoW you buy a box of WoW (for more than what a monthly subscription cost btw) and then you pay monthly subscriptions in order to play it.

What part did I make up? Where am I stretching the truth? I'll give you one thing: I thought WoW was $12.99 a month, but the guy I quoted said $14.95 so I went with that number. Those $2 could reduce the total price by $24... which really doesn't change the points I made at all.

Diablo and WoW are far from the best RPGs. Neither of them are the highest rated or highest selling RPGs. I think if you looked at user reviews you'd see they aren't even the highest user rated RPGs.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PC360Wii
[QUOTE="PC360Wii"][QUOTE="Senor_Kami"][QUOTE="PC360Wii"]

[QUOTE="Jamex1987"]I would never pay 14.95 a month to pay one game. NeverSenor_Kami

So you're saying that WoW isn't a monthly fee, and that console games aren't $60 and that Live isn't $50. I've made up all of that? I have a 360. I know 100% for sure that new games do retail for $60 and that Live is $50. Going to Blizzard.com they make it very obvious that WoW you buy a box of WoW (for more than what a monthly subscription cost btw) and then you pay monthly subscriptions in order to play it.

What part did I make up? Where am I stretching the truth?

Ugh my reading comprehension, I admit ownage. I assumed you meant buying 1 game and playing it all year instead.

Ummm, what you did get wrong though however is the WoW retail ... which is £8 for vanilla, £10 for expansion ... or you can go on those cd key selling sites and get both for like £5.

But you make it sound like you cant jsut freeze your acount and resume later....

ffxrox2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ffxrox2
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts
LMFAO, hell no. Blizzard sucks ass compared to Square Enix. Infact it should be a sin to even see the 2 names together on the same page, yet alone thinking its better. Blizzard is **** enix is the king of RPG'S.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

Square makes some of my favorite games

Never played Diablo but I did play WoW for about 6 months and hated it. I have a huge number of friends who love the game but I just felt every time I played it I was forcing myself. For me at least Square is still number 1.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#23 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Blizzard is the king of addictive gameplay. That the key to all their games success, a solid addictive core. Whether it be the button mash fest of Diablo, or the ultra casual friendly WoW, and the extremely well balanced SC, they all draw you in and keep you there.

However, as far as RPG goes, they actually are fairly weak. Their stories are lack luster, their RPG elements poorly balanced, and none of them are particularly cutting edge graphically.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Way to confuse genres

Kakarot00769

No they're not

You just proved my point since you had to classify each one in your response

If you're on this site then it's expected that you know the distinctions between the genres and the sub-genres.

That's like saying an arcade and a sim are the same as long as they cover the same vague subject matter.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PC360Wii
[QUOTE="Kakarot00769"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Way to confuse genres

Jaysonguy

No they're not

If you're on this site then it's expected that you know the distinctions between the genres and the sub-genres.

That's like saying an arcade and a sim are the same as long as they cover the same vague subject matter.

Both being racing is a vague subject matter? .... the Sim and Arcade is what is vague.

Most Real Time RPG's are classed as action merely because they are realtime.... not because they dont have ingaging stories or obsessive diologue or cutscenes.

They are all still Role Playing Games, with different focus.

Blommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Blommen
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="Kakarot00769"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Way to confuse genres

PC360Wii

No they're not

Both being racing is a vague subject matter? .... the Sim and Arcade is what is vague.

Most Real Time RPG's are classed as action merely because they are realtime.... not because they dont have ingaging stories or obsessive diologue or cutscenes.

Still the games can't be compared. BG2 vs. Diablo2?? Both are so-called RPG's but they are to different to be compared. It's like comparing Motorstorm to GTR2...

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="Kakarot00769"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Way to confuse genres

PC360Wii

No they're not

Yes, if one game is a NASCAR sim and one game is Burnout you can't ask the question "what is the better racing game?"

They're too different

Apples and oranges

Cats and dogs

mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
As far as I am concerned, Blizzard has never even made a RPG.
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PC360Wii
[QUOTE="PC360Wii"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="Kakarot00769"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Way to confuse genres

Blommen

No they're not

Still the games can't be compared. BG2 vs. Diablo2?? Both are so-called RPG's but they are to different to be compared. It's like comparing Motorstorm to GTR2...

On paper your right, but then someones idea of best RPG THEN as in preferance would be comparable. But yea, its correct in this situation.

However.... due to that preference he could be right, having the best MMO-RPG on the market compared with Biowards latest games? NWN2 ... a let down.... Mass Effect.... Action Shooter RPG... great presentation but pretty damn shallow.

Bioware has its ups and downs, we will see what happens with Dragon Age.

death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#30 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts

Diablo 2 > WoW :P

But yeah, Blizz is legendary, I will play every game they release this century for over 1000 hours. :D

Blommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blommen
[QUOTE="Blommen"][QUOTE="PC360Wii"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="Kakarot00769"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Way to confuse genres

PC360Wii

No they're not

On paper your right, but then someones idea of best RPG THEN as in preferance would be comparable. But yea, its correct in this situation.

However.... due to that preference he could be right, having the best MMO-RPG on the market compared with Biowards latest games? NWN2 ... a let down.... Mass Effect.... Action Shooter RPG... great presentation but pretty damn shallow.

I can't wait for that game!!

But still none of Blizzard's games have ever felt like RPG's to me, it feels like the rpg elements are there only to make them addictive and that works fine and I enjoy their games but I wouldn't call them rpg's in the same way as I call some other games rpg's.

death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 death919
As far as I am concerned, Blizzard has never even made a RPG.mr_mozilla
Diablo... the highest rated PC game on Gamespot...
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mr_mozilla
[QUOTE="mr_mozilla"]As far as I am concerned, Blizzard has never even made a RPG.death919

..is not a RPG...
death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 death919

[QUOTE="death919"][QUOTE="mr_mozilla"]As far as I am concerned, Blizzard has never even made a RPG.mr_mozilla

..is not a RPG...

dot dot dot

Oh wait, I forgot we were using YOUR definition for rpg, not THE definition for RPG. My mistake... btw, Tekken 6 is my most anticipated racing game.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PC360Wii

[QUOTE="death919"][QUOTE="mr_mozilla"]As far as I am concerned, Blizzard has never even made a RPG.mr_mozilla

..is not a RPG...

And Half Life isnt a shooter. >>

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

PC360Wii

Obsidian made Neverwinter Nights 2.

I would say though that BioWare have been on a steady decline (with regards to role playing) since Shadows of Amn. With regards to Blizzard, Diablo and WoW aren't RPGs in the traditional Fallout/Baldur's Gate/Planescape: Torment sense. Debating the role playing qualities of an action RPG, an MMO, a traditional RPG and even bringing JRPGs into the mix could get messy.

Being the king of RPGs (whomever it may be) in the current climate doesn't say much, though. At least that's my take on it.

death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 death919
[QUOTE="PC360Wii"]

RobbieH1234

I would say though that BioWare have been on a steady decline (with regards to role playing) since Shadows of Amn. With regards to Blizzard, Diablo and WoW aren't RPGs in the traditional Fallout/Baldur's Gate/Planescape: Torment sense. Debating the role playing qualities of an action RPG, an MMO, a traditional RPG and even bringing JRPGs into the mix could get messy.

Being the king of RPGs (whomever it may be) in the current climate doesn't say much, though. At least that's my take on it.

What genre would you classify Diablo as?
Blommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Blommen
[QUOTE="PC360Wii"]

RobbieH1234

Hard not to be on "a steady decline" after a game like BG2:P

Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
BioWare is the king of RPGs.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
Both make good RPGs.
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts
[QUOTE="RobbieH1234"][QUOTE="PC360Wii"]

death919

What genre would you classify Diablo as?

Dungeon Crawler?

Hehehe :p

mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mr_mozilla
These days pretty much anything passes for a RPG. However Diablo is an action-RPG at best. GTA4 isn't a RPG either just because your character develops and gets better weapons. Despite MMORPG, action-RPG and jRPG having the word 'RPG' in them they are very different genres.
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

What genre would you classify Diablo as?death919
I'd probably just throw it under action RPG, although I could go deeper than that.

The thing about RPGs is that there's a pretty wide variety of games within the genre. Fallout, Mass Effect and World of WarCraft, while falling under the "RPG" banner, are wildly different games. I'll always be of the opinion that with regards to role playing, an action RPG or an MMORPG will be inferior to a traditional RPG. So for a developer to be "king" of RPGs, they'd have to be "king" of traditional RPGs which is something that Blizzard (hell, almost every developer has gone in that direction) don't do. The last developer to actually do traditional RPGs really well were Troika. BioWare seem to be going back to that with Dragon Age and Obsidian certainly have the talent to do so, but their focus seems to be on action RPGs now (Alpha Protocol, Aliens RPG).

...that'll be a touch confusing for people who are unfamiliar with RPGs. :lol:

Just for clarification:

Traditional RPG: Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum.
Action RPG: Mass Effect, Fable, Jade Empire, Diablo.
MMORPG: World of WarCraft (duh).
Action adventure game with broken level system: Oblivion. :P

I would say I'm pretty strict about the genres, just because they all try to do completely different things. I can go further into that if people want (like why I would put X game in Y genre or wouldn't consider it fit to be in Z genre).

Anywho, concerning Blizzard vs. Square, why would anyone make that comparison? They're completely different developers who make completely different games.

ClawKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ClawKiller
Member since 2005 • 666 Posts

Blizzard dont make RPGs.

Bioware make RPGs.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PC360Wii

Blizzard dont make RPGs.

Bioware make RPGs.

ClawKiller

World of Warcraft and Diablo are RPGs.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts

Blizzard is the king of action rpg's not rpg's

Even wow is a action rpg not a true rpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_role-playing_game

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
yes mmos nt regular rpgs
hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
yes wow owns ff online.
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts

action rpg remeber that

the only mmo right now that comes close to a rpg is age of conan

Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts

action rpg remeber that

the only mmo right now that comes close to a rpg is age of conan

blackdreamhunk

my guess is that you haven't played alot of mmo's ? Would you consider Ragnarok a rpg?