DrSerigala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DrSerigala
Member since 2018 • 208 Posts

“This diagram shows two important information. Number 1. In 2017, The Witcher 3 has sold more than in 2016. We are extremely proud of that and it had impact on total sales of all (The Witcher) games which was 33 million of copies as mentioned by Adam. The second important information is that on the year of the release, 70% of sales were sales of console copies and slightly more than 30% were PC copies. The trend has been changing over time and PCs have the longest life cycle now. In 2017 50% of sales stem from PC copies and the other half was attributed to both consoles.”

Source

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

That's really impressive. Well done to the team! I see the game appear on sale through Steam and GOG quite often which I think is not only assisting in volume but likely in PC sales too.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

Congratulation, CD Projekt.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

This is why devs like PS4. Their games will actually sell.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

Congrats, CD Projekt. Ps4 gamers supporting your games the most.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Awesome for PS4. Great news.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

My favorite game of the generation so far. Well deserved.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Congrats CDPR. One of the best teams in this industry.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Needhealing

@pdogg93 said:

Yup. Especially the Witcher 3, monster sales on ps4.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56216 Posts

Seeing the Witcher 3 selling well on PS4 2015 makes sense due to PS4 owners were new to the world of Witcher game first time ever on a Sony console says it all. When everyone heard how the PC version was clearly day/night to consoles, the news spread onward and it's why the PC version took awhile to get everyone buying it on PC. But either way, Witcher 3 is a fantastic game, no matter the console, everyone will enjoy the game overall. Buuuut you really should be playing it on PC first & foremost! No excuse!!!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
@pdogg93 said:

PS4 is the king of single player experience. Witcher 3 fits well on PS4 to that.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LoganX77

@davillain-: Lol its not day and night especially one the PS4 pro and X1X came out. And honestly without HDR support that really hurts the PC version now.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Impressive on all fronts. Bet they made the most money from PC though because digital sales. Or do you think the discounts would negate that? Hmm.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts
@davillain- said:

Seeing the Witcher 3 selling well on PS4 2015 makes sense due to PS4 owners were new to the world of Witcher game first time ever on a Sony console says it all. When everyone heard how the PC version was clearly day/night to consoles, the news spread onward and it's why the PC version took awhile to get everyone buying it on PC. But either way, Witcher 3 is a fantastic game, no matter the console, everyone will enjoy the game overall. Buuuut you really should be playing it on PC first & foremost! No excuse!!!

Or because the price lowered faster on PC which is typically always the case.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts
@KungfuKitten said:

Impressive on all fronts. Bet they made the most money from PC though because digital sales. Or do you think the discounts would negate that? Hmm.

they make 100% of the sale on GOG versions

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Needhealing

@scatteh316 said:
@davillain- said:

Yeah, but year 1 are where sales are more important due to no price reduction. Ps4 clearly made the team more profit. I got the game at $15 last year for pc. Would have cost me $45-$60 back in 15'

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Lack of choice on a system sure drives up the sales of whatever is released at the time

DrSerigala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DrSerigala
@needhealing said:
@scatteh316 said:
@davillain- said:

Yeah, but year 1 are where sales are more important due to no price reduction. Ps4 clearly made the team more profit. I got the game at $15 last year for pc. Would have cost me $45-$60 back in 15'

I think they got more money from PC even if it sold less on first year. Developer got less percentage of money on Console compare to PC because Digital vs Physical. On PC you get 70% of money if on steam and 100% since they own GOG . On console you get same for digital about 70%, like steam. But most console sales come from Physical, when in most case developer get less than half of the money, 25% cut from SONY/MS, 20% cut from Retailer, then cost of distribution and printing/packing, usually it only around 40-45% of money goes to developer when on console from physical copy. And on PC your sales can continue even after like a decade from game release , people will still buy it , and on console people will usually get second hand copy from retailer after a few years, which doesn't give any money/benefit to the developer.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
@loganx77 said:

@davillain-: Lol its not day and night especially one the PS4 pro and X1X came out. And honestly without HDR support that really hurts the PC version now.

Whatever drugs you are taking, stop taking them. HDR or not, the PC version is still king.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Needhealing

@drserigala said:
@needhealing said:
@scatteh316 said:
@davillain- said:

I think they got more money from PC even if it sold less on first year. Developer got less percentage of money on Console compare to PC because Digital vs Physical. On PC you get 70% of money if on steam and 100% since they own GOG . On console you get same for digital about 70%, like steam. But most console sales come from Physical, when in most case developer get less than half of the money, 25% cut from SONY/MS, 20% cut from Retailer, then cost of distribution and printing/packing, usually it only around 40-45% of money goes to developer when on console from physical copy.

Good point, though we don't know witcher 3 physical vs digital sales, so this might be pure speculation from both parts.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

Interesting.

This is a good illustration of how important it is to develop for multiple platforms if you have the resources. CDPR would never have been able to achieve the epic scope of this game if it had been exclusive to only one platform.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LoganX77

@davillain-: lol no its not and DF agrees. Go play a game that supports HDR on a Oled and then get back to me. It's transformative and the only ones that argue it are those who haven't seen it.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@howmakewood said:
@KungfuKitten said:

they make 100% of the sale on GOG versions

I forgot about that. Yeah. Right on. Daughter...company... how do you say that in English? A subcompany of CD Projekt RED.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@loganx77: Ohhh so you're going what DF says? Well that explains it all. Guess we'll go with agree to disagree here.

DrSerigala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DrSerigala
@loganx77 said:

@davillain-: lol no its not and DF agrees. Go play a game that supports HDR on a Oled and then get back to me. It's transformative and the only ones that argue it are those who haven't seen it.

Most people , like 95% of gamer (both on Console and PC) doesn't has 4k TV/monitor and HDR TV/monitor, so it will not be a selling point for most of the game, people out there (most of them) still on 1080p ldr tv/ monitor for both console and PC. Gamer only want the cheapest one to play the games, that is why you see PC sales percentage increasing every year

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

so to apply SW logic:

they may as well have just supported the PS4 and made it exclusive of their own volition. the PC and xbox1 were and utter waste of time.

...../s just in case thats not clear :S.

great to see the game still selling. great gave overall. i must finish the expansions....damn backlog

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LoganX77

@davillain-: No i was just using them as a source of credability. Ive seen TW3 in HDR and it looks amazing. I originally was thinking HDR was a gimmick untill i saw it in person. And in all honesty its a massive deal bigger then 4k.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

As I've been saying for years, the used games market and limited shelf space in stores is far more damaging to a game's long-term profits than PC piracy. PC games keep selling, while console games just disappear.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Still the best game this gen. Glad it continues to sell well.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44295 Posts

Not really surprised at the breakdown of sales myself given the size of the user base for each platform. Anyway it’s an excellent game so it’s nice to see it do well on all platforms. I got the Xbox One version myself and had a fantastic time with the game.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@needhealing said:
@drserigala said:
@needhealing said:
@scatteh316 said:
@davillain- said:

I think they got more money from PC even if it sold less on first year. Developer got less percentage of money on Console compare to PC because Digital vs Physical. On PC you get 70% of money if on steam and 100% since they own GOG . On console you get same for digital about 70%, like steam. But most console sales come from Physical, when in most case developer get less than half of the money, 25% cut from SONY/MS, 20% cut from Retailer, then cost of distribution and printing/packing, usually it only around 40-45% of money goes to developer when on console from physical copy.

Good point, though we don't know witcher 3 physical vs digital sales, so this might be pure speculation from both parts.

That's a pretty much spot on for the break down of the average $60 game

Although we don't know the make up of digital v physical sales for The Witcher 3, we do know that PC gaming game sales are around 95% digital and on console it's around 33%. Just to complicate it further though, PC games are nearly always cheaper on release (apart from EA and MS games) than they are on console, even more so when you can get them from use key sites, which reduce the price even further.

At the end of the day the profits are probably similar on PC and PS4, same can't said for the poor old Xbox One though.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Good to see it doing well, it is one of the best RPG games I've played and I want to finish W2 as well.

Getting their next game day 1

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

@loganx77 said:

Have you seen 144fps or above on high refresh rate monitor? I have a HDR monitor with my pro hooked up to it, HDR is nice but its just added eye candy. You wont convince me going from 144fps to HDR games at 30fps with dips is "transformative"? They feel like shit. PC will get more support for HDR with more HDR monitors coming out. But higher Hz is the priority because gameplay>>>>>graphics always.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

Very well deserved. Still the game of the generation. And looks incredible on XB1 X!

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

See there is something I dont understand.

Why would one buy Witcher 3 for the PC in the first place?

if you want a game like that chances are you already have a console, so you buy the game for the console.

why for the PC? I dont get it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
@davillain- said:
@loganx77 said:

Whatever drugs you are taking, stop taking them. HDR or not, the PC version is still king.

Didn't you know?

HDR that still has no standards and heavily differs game by game is some how a free pass at "HUR DUR BETTER THAN HIGHER SETTINGS AND FRAMERATE" ..... sad.

Hahaha "It's transformative" .. I love it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@tryit said:

if you want a game like that chances are you already have a console, so you buy the game for the console.

What kind of a question is this?

30fps vs 60fps, 60fps always wins! (not up for discussion, so don't try to go there) Witcher games were always meant to be played on PC. I will point out the PS4 version is a close seconds but Witcher 3 PC is the way to go. Plus the mods on PC makes the game even fun to play.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TryIt
@davillain- said:
@tryit said:

What kind of a question is this?

30fps vs 60fps, 60fps always wins! Witcher games were always meant to be played on PC. I will point out the PS4 version is a close seconds but Witcher 3 PC is the way to go. Plus the mods on PC makes the game even fun to play.

I thought Witcher 3 was a console focused game (ii will internet to verify that claim)

ok well whatever nevermind my comment then

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaVillain  Moderator

@tryit: The first Witcher game is only on PC. Witcher 2 is only on PC & Xbox 360, but the 360 version is by far the worst version to play Witcher 2 and if you don't have a PC, then I guess you don't have a choice but to play it on 360. Witcher 3 is the only game that's available to (but not Switch or Wii U) PS4 & Xbox One but Witcher 3 is the first game to be on a Sony console however. Witcher 3 would've been focus on PC if CDPR didn't downgraded for consoles.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TryIt
@davillain- said:

@tryit: The first Witcher game is only on PC. Witcher 2 is only on PC & Xbox 360, but the 360 version is by far the worst version to play Witcher 2 and if you don't have a PC, then I guess you don't have a choice but to play it on 360. Witcher 3 is the only game that's available to (but not Switch or Wii U) PS4 & Xbox One but Witcher 3 is the first game to be on a Sony console however. Witcher 3 would've been focus on PC if CDPR didn't downgraded for consoles.

I really couldnt care less.

we were talking about specifically witcher 3 not witcher 1 or 2 and I thought witcher 3 (not 1 or 2) was a console focused game.

its not you say so ok, nevermind my comments.

I just dont understand the point of playing console focused games on a PC. so the whole multiplat debate to me seems silly

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@tryit: In my experience, with some exceptions, I've been enjoying games like Nioh on PC because of controller support and improved performance. It depends on the port though.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaVillain  Moderator

@jumpaction said:

@tryit: In my experience, with some exceptions, I've been enjoying games like Nioh on PC because of controller support and improved performance. It depends on the port though.

True, it does depends on the port and I kinda went a little off on TryIt since he/she didn't know any better.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LoganX77

@MBirdy88: lol its hillarious you babble about minor visual settings then ignore the importance of HDR. The hypocrisy is real.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
@loganx77 said:

@MBirdy88: lol its hillarious you babble about minor visual settings then ignore the importance of HDR. The hypocrisy is real.

The hypocrisy of you complaining about my hypocrisy when you are showing hypocrisy by downplaying settings and frame rate is real.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LoganX77

@MBirdy88: The settings difference isnt drastic from the enhanced consoles. Framerates are important but TW3 isnt exactly a fps.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Lul, I've bought it four times and sold once.

@loganx77 said:

@davillain-: No i was just using them as a source of credability. Ive seen TW3 in HDR and it looks amazing. I originally was thinking HDR was a gimmick untill i saw it in person. And in all honesty its a massive deal bigger then 4k.

Yup, watch enough HDR content and SDR stuff will start to bother you with crushed blacks and color banding.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DaVillain  Moderator

@loganx77 said:

@MBirdy88: The settings diffetence isnt drastic from the enhanced consoles. Framerates are important but TW3 isnt exactly a fps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@tryit said:

You've heard of The Witcher 3 then?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TryIt
@boycie said:
@tryit said:

You've heard of The Witcher 3 then?

yes

I think this video is from one of those games I had not heard of:

Loading Video...

s