The Wii was unnecessary

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zlychop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zlychop
Member since 2011 • 1316 Posts

It didn't do anything to push game really nor did it improve over the Gamecube.

Wii had a bad online service like on the GC as well.

No DVD player

Same graphics and processing power as the GC as well.

The Wii never needed to exist as it did nothing groundbreaking during its existance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Motion controls. Whether you like them or not doesn't make a difference, they had a huge impact this gen, and the Wii was the forefront of that. Also, in response to your last sentence; none of the consoles this gen did anything i would consider "groundbreaking"
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Whether or not you liked it personally has no relevance. It has great games that people enjoy, and it set a new standard for 3D platformers.

HunterHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HunterHP
Member since 2004 • 1379 Posts

No DVD player

The Wii never needed to exist as it did nothing groundbreaking during its existance.

Zlychop

Neither did the Gamecube. Nintendo's smart and realized their fanbase doesn't care about all that, they just want some casual entertainment. Plus they made a good move adding Netflix to their console.

There's no sense for Nintendo to change it's approach when it's obviously working.

D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

The Wii was the most revolutionary thing to happen this genration. You're entirely wrong.

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

So each console needs to do something groundbreaking?

NaturalDisplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NaturalDisplay
Member since 2010 • 548 Posts

How times have changed.. Back then everyone was bashing Wii, now its totally different.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

That's a weired way to spell unnecessary.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#9 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41575 Posts

No DVD player

Zlychop

Motion controls

Meh, I just think it needs a bit of work as I enjoyed quite a bit of online games on Wii, but I can kind of give you that one.

Good god, are we still on about that? Nintendo is a gaming company. They don't so stuff like DVD's. Besides, it isn't even necessary.

Actually, Wii has a bit better graphics than GameCube.

Again, motion controls.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts
[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]Motion controls. Whether you like them or not doesn't make a difference, they had a huge impact this gen, and the Wii was the forefront of that. Also, in response to your last sentence; none of the consoles this gen did anything i would consider "groundbreaking"

/thread The consoles this gen are exactly the same as the previous gen ones. Honestly, the ps3 is a ps2 with better graphics and 360 is a xbox with better graphics.
simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

Motion controls. Whether you like them or not doesn't make a difference, they had a huge impact this gen, and the Wii was the forefront of that.

Also, in response to your last sentence; none of the consoles this gen did anything i would consider "groundbreaking"ferret-gamer

/thread

The consoles this gen are exactly the same as the previous gen ones. Honestly, the ps3 is a ps2 with better graphics and 360 is a xbox with better graphics.

Sentinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sentinator
Member since 2011 • 244 Posts

That's a weired way to spell unnecessary.

PsychoLemons

Thats a weird way to spell weird.

DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#13 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
I'm a Wii hater myself, but it did do a lot of things successful; a new way to play games, a whole new audience becoming interested in gaming, managing to have its share of good looking games despite its archaic hardware. Maybe some of these aren't really "good" things for the industry (depends on how you look at it, IMO) but it found massive success in doing so. I mean, let's face it...if the Wii was a joke, then Sony and Microsoft (hell, even Razer) wouldn't have attempted to ape the motion control craze :P.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nintendoboy16

How times have changed.. Back then everyone was bashing Wii, now its totally different.

NaturalDisplay
No, people are still bashing it to hell and now treating N64 and GameCube (the most hated systems of their time) like godsends. I have a feeling they'll do the same when Wii U releases.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#15 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
It influenced the other 2 to make motion control peripherals. When you force your competition to do something, you are the pimp daddy, grand high exalted, mystic ruler. You dont have to like it but they did break ground in that respect.
NJGIANTSNY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NJGIANTSNY
Member since 2011 • 291 Posts

Wii:lol:

Nintendo the laughing stock of gaming when it comes to there consoles

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nintendoboy16

NJGIANTSNY

Because hardly anyone gives them a fair chance anymore.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

Zlychop

Nothing groundbreaking if not for the success of the Wiimote then neither the Move or Kinect would have came out. Plus motion controls are in someway going to be a standard addition to next gen. Not used in every game but come as a feature.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

No DVD player

Zlychop
You've clearly not enjoyed the brilliant implementation of motion and pointer control, as well as some cool use of the built-in speaker, in games like Wii Sports Bowling, GoldenEye Wii, Skyward Sword etc.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

NJGIANTSNY

Trololololol.

Nintendo's console, and their hardware in general, are great. Sure as far as tech goes, their not as good as their competitors. But I don't play graphics, I play games, and Nintendo's first party, only playable on the Wii geez what a shock, is above and beyond anything on 360/Ps3.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

To be fair, a PS3 or 360 look unnecessary, given that most households have a PC that does the same + more in a standard build. Even to the extent of blu rays. At least the motion controls made a clear distinction other than being just a console which is easy to boot up.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

The Wii was the most revolutionary thing to happen this genration. You're entirely wrong.

D1zzyCriminal
Wii ? Revolutionary? Someone please post for me the Star Trek mega FACEPALM
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="D1zzyCriminal"]

AzatiS

If you disagree, at least with consoles, explain how PS3 and/or 360 has done more new things for gaming this gen.

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts

No DVD player

Zlychop
it sure helped the gaming industry through the tough years, though.
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AzatiS

[QUOTE="AzatiS"][QUOTE="D1zzyCriminal"]

Bigboi500

If you disagree, at least with consoles, explain how PS3 and/or 360 has done more new things for gaming this gen.

dont be so "sheep" please... What PS3/360 has anything to do with that guys statement? Or when i said PS3/360 were revolutionary? I would had facepalm the same way if someone said the same thing for PS3/360.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nintendoboy16
[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="AzatiS"] Wii ? Revolutionary? Someone please post for me the Star Trek mega FACEPALMAzatiS

dont be so "sheep" please... What PS3/360 has anything to do with that guys statement? Or when i said PS3/360 were revolutionary? I would had facepalm the same way if someone said the same thing for PS3/360.

He brought up the PS3 and 360 because those systems followed the Wii by adding their own motion controls.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Wii was very necessary. It introduced waggle to soccer mom's, kids and granny's. Now they're all aboard the Kinect train, MS should thank Nintendo.
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts

Bigboi500

i dont think he understand what that means...
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="D1zzyCriminal"]

AzatiS

1) Motion Controls.

2) Brought an entire new demographic, the casual, to the gaming scene. I also think it effectively changed the stereotype of a gamer.

I mean, what more do you want? Shall the Wii sprout arms and legs and cook an omelette whilst loading screens for it to be revolutionary?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="AzatiS"] Wii ? Revolutionary? Someone please post for me the Star Trek mega FACEPALMAzatiS

Well then... that clears that up. I guess you think PC is the only light in all the industry? Don't be so "hermit" please...

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Tennagers are unecssary.

Kids should go straight from 8 to 23.

Teenagers are annoying.

They are always trying to act like grown ups, but they don't really know what grown ups act like.

Plus, they don't understand the concept of paragraphs.

Or spell unnecessary.

PA_DUTCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PA_DUTCH
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

wii rased up a new generation of gamers...and what a great way to start out. Seems to me that the PS3 and 360 are very similar to one another. I think a better case could be made that you only needed one of them this gen making the other unnecessary (unescssary if you will)

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#33 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Yeah motion control wasn't relavent at all this gen. :roll:

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#34 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

NJGIANTSNY

If they're such a laughing stock then why did Sony and MS also get motion controls.

Come back when you know what you're talking about because I bet you don't even own a Wii.

WesleyUden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WesleyUden
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Yet it has done the most for gaming in general over the years. I will keep supporting them because they are a gaming company and nothing else. This is why their 1st party will always be the number one of gaming. It's because the entire company is based on gaming. And we as gamers should support them.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
PS3 and X360 are PC wannabees. I think they're more unnecessary than the Wii. :P At least with Wii, you get to experience games you'll never experience on any other platform. Most PS3/X360 games are played better on PC with better graphics and online services.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="AzatiS"] dont be so "sheep" please... What PS3/360 has anything to do with that guys statement? Or when i said PS3/360 were revolutionary? I would had facepalm the same way if someone said the same thing for PS3/360. AzatiS

Well then... that clears that up. I guess you think PC is the only light in all the industry? Don't be so "hermit" please...

Omg , come on now man. Stop the trash talk. All i did was answer that guys statement. Dont trying desperatly to say things that i never said or meant. What PC has to do with what i said to that guy? Youre too sheep seriously. Spin off please. A bit

Why the hell are your quotes so messed up? Other users names for my quotes?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AzatiS

MLBknights58

1) Motion Controls.

2) Brought an entire new demographic, the casual, to the gaming scene. I also think it effectively changed the stereotype of a gamer.

I mean, what more do you want? Shall the Wii sprout arms and legs and cook an omelette whilst loading screens for it to be revolutionary?

Come on now ,motion controls? Seriously? Revolution? Come on now.... Controller revolution?

And now we call a console revolutionary because it attracted more casuals than others? And after that the epic exaggeration of omelette?

Hahaha!! That was funny seriously. Sheeps these days are epic fun

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AzatiS

[QUOTE="AzatiS"][QUOTE="MLBknights58"]Well then... that clears that up. I guess you think PC is the only light in all the industry? Don't be so "hermit" please...

Bigboi500

Omg , come on now man. Stop the trash talk. All i did was answer that guys statement. Dont trying desperatly to say things that i never said or meant. What PC has to do with what i said to that guy? Youre too sheep seriously. Spin off please. A bit

Why the hell are your quotes so messed up? Other users names for my quotes?

true let me fix
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AzatiS

[QUOTE="AzatiS"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]If you disagree, at least with consoles, explain how PS3 and/or 360 has done more new things for gaming this gen.

Bigboi500

Omg , come on now man. Stop the trash talk. All i did was answer that guys statement. Dont trying desperatly to say things that i never said or meant. What PC has to do with what i said to that guy? In fact i would had facepalm for PC as well... Youre too sheep for your own good seriously. We are not all here biased like you or other fanboys around. There are some unbiased people around , dont try so hard to put me in a category. With my statement above you cant. Stop it and Spin off please. A bit There you are sheep. Now respond
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It was the only console that provided any sort of forward motion in the industry and the only console to generate significant revenue. Yeah, totally unnecessary.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="AzatiS"] dont be so "sheep" please... What PS3/360 has anything to do with that guys statement? Or when i said PS3/360 were revolutionary? I would had facepalm the same way if someone said the same thing for PS3/360. AzatiS

Omg , come on now man. Stop the trash talk. All i did was answer that guys statement. Dont trying desperatly to say things that i never said or meant. What PC has to do with what i said to that guy? In fact i would had facepalm for PC as well... Youre too sheep for your own good seriously. We are not all here biased like you or other fanboys around. There are some unbiased people around , dont try so hard to put me in a category. With my statement above you cant. Stop it and Spin off please. A bit There you are sheep. Now respond

Nintendo deserves some credit for bringing new gamers to the industry, and they've introduced new ways to play games. I don't see how I'm more biased than anyone else around here.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AzatiS

[QUOTE="AzatiS"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Well then... that clears that up. I guess you think PC is the only light in all the industry? Don't be so "hermit" please...

Bigboi500

Nintendo deserves some credit for bringing new gamers to the industry, and they've introduced new ways to play games. I don't see how I'm more biased than anyone else around here.

Ok , so because i dont agree with term "revolutionary" for Wii that guy spoke of , if you ask me is a very heavy word to say for gaming and if you google youll see what i mean , does that mean i dont give credit to Nintendo , im a PS3/X360 fan , Hermit or nintendo hater automatically ?

I dont get you.On the other hand If i accept Wii as revolutionary , something that its far from being a revolution doesnt that make me a fanboy instead?

Where is the problem with what i said to that guy , i dont get it...

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

Of course its unecessary. Itsan entertainment device. The PS3 and 360 aren't needed, either.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="AzatiS"] Omg , come on now man. Stop the trash talk. All i did was answer that guys statement. Dont trying desperatly to say things that i never said or meant. What PC has to do with what i said to that guy? In fact i would had facepalm for PC as well... Youre too sheep for your own good seriously. We are not all here biased like you or other fanboys around. There are some unbiased people around , dont try so hard to put me in a category. With my statement above you cant. Stop it and Spin off please. A bit There you are sheep. Now respondAzatiS

Ok , so because i dont agree with term "revolutionary" for Wii that guy said which if you ask me is a very heavy word to say for gaming , if you google youll see what i mean , does that mean i dont give credit to Nintendo , im a PS3/X360 fan , Hermit or nintendo hater automatically ? I dont get you. If i accept as revolutionary something that its far from being a revolution doesnt that make me a fanboy instead? Where is the problem with what i said to that guy , i dont get it...

I don't get you either, so I guess we have some common misconceptions with each other.

I don't agree with calling what they've done "revolutionary" either btw. I've had a bunch of bad experiences with some hermits lately, them being very rude and snobbish with me and other users who don't agree that PC gaming is the be-all, end-all for everything gaming, so I guess I over-reacted to your post.

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

I think the ps3 was unnecessary. They could have just put some of the exclusives on xbox and we'd have been good. At least the Wii gives us different kinds of games that are actually fun.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

The Wii was necessary, it brought millions of new people into gaming and made it mainstream

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#49 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
The hatred for a console that didnt make online play and graphics the priority speaks volumes about some who call themselves gamers here. The Wii, which I owned for a short while, was a fun console with really good games on it. As someone else said I dont play graphics. If that was all that important why play on PS3/360? They are inferior to PC anyway. But imo, a gamer plays games. Any games made by any dev, on any platform, that they enjoy. Look at the libraries of the three consoles. The whole library, not recent or soon to come. If you cant find something to play on them, are you a gamer, or do you just play some video games?
DivineEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DivineEcho
Member since 2012 • 61 Posts

Let me ask you this, TC:
Was adding the ability to play DVDs NECESSARY to to gaming consoles? No?

As for me, I'm glad the Wii, along with the PS3 and 360 came about and delivered me games.
Sure, the Wii may not be as powerful as its competitors, but its exclusives is something I will always come back to.
Graphics don't make the console, and I think the Wii has proven this to a degree.