The very simple reason why high resolution matters ALOT!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 0

#1 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Console gamers say 720p is enough and complaining about it is a superficial thing, well it's not cuz it's a big deal.

Lets get something straight first. You can have the biggest and the baddest TV around but the experience of playing upclose on a high quality PC monitor is unmatched and this is something only possible on powerful hardware which consoles dont possess. As long as you are playing on a screen bigger than 17", a resolution like 720p will not let you sit very close to the screen or else it'll become a pixelated mess, upscaling is not going to do the job either, when sitting close to a display the difference between native and upscaled image is day and night.

When your field of vision is almost completely occupied in the game and yet it looks crystal clear, that experience is simply unmatched and you cannot give an opinion about it without experiencing it. When you get used to it, trust me your comfy couch and 50" 1080p wont feel all that cool anymore...

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Normal people do not "sit very close" to their TVs. In fact, the advantage of having a relatively big TV is not having to "sit very close" to it.

hamzah1235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hamzah1235
Member since 2008 • 1189 Posts
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Console gamers say 720p is enough and complaining about it is a superficial thing, well it's not cuz it's a big deal.

Lets get something straight first. You can have the biggest and the baddest TV around but the experience of playing upclose on a high quality PC monitor is unmatched and this is something only possible on powerful hardware which consoles dont possess. As long as you are playing on a screen bigger than 17", a resolution like 720p will not let you sit very close to the screen or else it'll become a pixelated mess, upscaling is not going to do the job either, when sitting close to a display the difference between native and upscaled image is day and night.

When your field of vision is almost completely occupied in the game and yet it looks crystal clear, that experience is simply unmatched and you cannot give an opinion about it without experiencing it. When you get used to it, trust me your comfy couch and 50" 1080p wont feel all that cool anymore...

I have a rather poor vision, so i it directly in front of the T.V., and its never a pixelated mess like you make it out to be.
2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

lol what are you talking about

Theclub83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Theclub83
Member since 2007 • 185 Posts

thanksim selling my ps3 and 360 right away, then ill buy a computer so i can post the specs in my sig!

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

2-10-08

sometimes it helps to read and understand the original post so you dont accedentally post something that completly confirms everything that was said without realizing it.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

I see a huge difference going from 720p to 1680x1050.

There are so many jagged lines and crap.

At 1680x1050 it looks a lot smoother.

Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
I would rather play on a 50" 1080p TV than on a 22" monitor with a better resolution. And normal people don't "sit very close" to their TV's unless you like to be blinded and wearing dark sunglasses all the time.
Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts

2-10-08

You clearly didn't read the OP did you?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61551 Posts

I still prefer to sit further away from the screen and I experience both (46-inch 720p TV and 24-inch 1920x1200 monitor).

Avatar image for deactivated-57d32c9daf505
deactivated-57d32c9daf505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57d32c9daf505
Member since 2009 • 214 Posts

The very simple reason why high resolution matters ALOT!!

BECAUSE IT'S PRETTY!

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

Ya keep fretting over that... I'm playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 with someone at 480p resolution on a 48" TV. Like normal people we are sitting on a couch over 10 feet away from the TV... I know from looking closely it's very jaggy, but from a normal playing distance, back on a couch where I want to be, I can't see any jaggies. I've played games on PC at ridiculously high resolutions and it looked no better than this and was less comfortable.

Playing on a small monitor, up close, at a high resolution, is just another way to produce the same effect as 10 feet back on a big TV with slightly lower resolution.

zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zero_snake99
Member since 2004 • 3478 Posts

I see a huge difference going from 720p to 1680x1050.

There are so many jagged lines and crap.

At 1680x1050 it looks a lot smoother.

Hakkai007
Resolution =/= anti aliasing, but I guess you are right, if you put a 720p image on a 1080p screen, vs a 1080p image on a 1080 screen then yeah, you will see more "Jaggies" on the 720p version.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Okay, since I have experienced it, and continue to have the opportunity to experience it (since I have SLI'd GTX 260s and a decent 22" Samsung LCD monitor), am I allowed to offer my opinion? "Eh, it's nice." *goes back to playing PS3 on his 55" Samsung LCD TV
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

lowe0

Okay, since I have experienced it, and continue to have the opportunity to experience it (since I have SLI'd GTX 260s and a decent 22" Samsung LCD monitor), am I allowed to offer my opinion? "Eh, it's nice." *goes back to playing PS3 on his 55" Samsung LCD TV

There certainly are genres which play better on big TV's like sports and fighting games.

But for shooters and action games, a big tv just doesnt give the same immersiveness....

Also it seems like your TV is a high quality product and monitor is just decent, obviously in such a case the TV will have better picture quality. Try some LED 24" monitor and see what happens.;)

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 windsquid9000
Member since 2009 • 3206 Posts

Ya keep fretting over that... I'm playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 with someone at 480p resolution on a 48" TV. Like normal people we are sitting on a couch over 10 feet away from the TV... I know from looking closely it's very jaggy, but from a normal playing distance, back on a couch where I want to be, I can't see any jaggies. I've played games on PC at ridiculously high resolutions and it looked no better than this and was less comfortable.

Playing on a small monitor, up close, at a high resolution, is just another way to produce the same effect as 10 feet back on a big TV with slightly lower resolution.

oldkingallant

I don't think 1/5th the resolution counts as slightly lower.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Gambler_3

There certainly are genres which play better on big TV's like sports and fighting games.

But for shooters and action games, a big tv just doesnt give the same immersiveness....

Also it seems like your TV is a high quality product and monitor is just decent, obviously in such a case the TV will have better picture quality. Try some LED 24" monitor and see what happens.;)

My TV is merely decent as well; neither the TV nor monitor are LED-lit.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Okay, since I have experienced it, and continue to have the opportunity to experience it (since I have SLI'd GTX 260s and a decent 22" Samsung LCD monitor), am I allowed to offer my opinion? "Eh, it's nice." *goes back to playing PS3 on his 55" Samsung LCD TVlowe0

My TV is merely decent as well; neither the TV nor monitor are LED-lit.

It's not just about LED man. Most TV's above 50" are pretty top stuff. Monitors on the other hand come in both high end and low end versions. A $200 TN panel 22" monitor is not something you want to compare a high-end TV with, I am assuming that's what you have since a couple of years ago TN panels were the most common.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hakkai007

Trying playing a game in 1680x1050 then switch to 800x600 and tell me you don't notice a big difference.....

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hakkai007

I noticed a big difference switching from 1440x900 to 1680x1024 in Metro 2033.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

Consoles gamers cannot understand how important is the resolution for games.
I use to play games at 1280x1024 in 2001!!! And now Consol gamers play games at 1280x720(and some times at 1024x600) in the year 2010!!!(One decade behind pc gamers):shock:

The last few years I play all my games at 1920x1200 and soon I am going to by a 2560x1600 monitor:)

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
I hate sitting close to my TV - my sofa isn't a metre away from it. And even when I play my 360 on PC monitor upscaled to 1080p, it looks....fine :|
Avatar image for Sniping_Crowbar
Sniping_Crowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sniping_Crowbar
Member since 2010 • 369 Posts
I sit about 6 feet away from my 24 inch HDTV and it works Fine for me, if I had a better desk chair like a 300 dollar super comfy leather chair my PC gaming experience would be better but honestly laying on my bed an playing is much more comfortable.
SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

Its funny how many "Harcore" PC gamers talk about resolution being a "BIG DEAL" and fiddling with their PC and spending time on a forum preaching to people that don't give a **** when instead they could be playing their Superior game experiences. Typical PC elitists.

Sniping_Crowbar
and why are u not playing your awesome console games in your 24 inch HDTV instead of bashing pc gamers at forums?
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

So...someone can't afford a HDTV?

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#28 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

[QUOTE="2-10-08"]

Funconsole

You clearly don't see that the chart proves that resolutions above 720p make barely any difference at all.
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 windsquid9000

Its funny how many "Harcore" PC gamers talk about resolution being a "BIG DEAL" and fiddling with their PC and spending time on a forum preaching to people that don't give a **** when instead they could be playing their Superior game experiences. Typical PC elitists.

Sniping_Crowbar
If that's the case, then why is anyone here?
hd5870corei7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hd5870corei7
Member since 2010 • 1612 Posts

I agree. my Samsung 23" LED 1920x1080p 5,000,000:1 2ms response time monitor is just incredible when I play my PC games, but when I switch over to PS3 games I have to sit further away, because I notice the image looks pixelated, washed out and jaggy.

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 windsquid9000
[QUOTE="Funconsole"]

[QUOTE="2-10-08"]

2-10-08

You clearly don't see that the chart proves that resolutions above 720p make barely any difference at all.

According to the chart, the full benefit of 1080p can be perceived at 16 feet. Honestly, who sits farther away from their TV than that?
erglesmergle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 erglesmergle
Member since 2009 • 1769 Posts

Most people sit far enough from their HDTV to have the optimal 720p view. But that still doesnt change the fact that higher resolution = better. Check out the 4k2k HDTVs.

Sniping_Crowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sniping_Crowbar

[QUOTE="Sniping_Crowbar"]

lundy86_4

Same could be said for certain console users posting on this forum about how their game looks slightly better than the others. Typical console elitists.

Why make such an ignorant remark?

Umm well becaseu the TC is spewing spit all over his monitor about How resolution is sucha "BIG" deal yadda yadda, but honestly it really doesn't matter what res you play at as long as the game is really good, small things like a games resolution shouldn't really matter. People like the TC and others ive seen in theis site talk and talk and bash consoles for having low res graphics and everything, and post threads about how they are right and that people that are playing on consoles have bad experiences becaseu the res isnt as high as a PC. Well a derp derp i better go throw out my SD tv and my entire DVD collection becaseu i guess after years of enjoying games and movies based on their gamplay merits is massive diaper because i couldn't play or watch a movie at 1080p. that is the reason for my "ignorant Remark'. Oh yes and console gamers that say their games look better Are Sony fanboys not all console gamers. anyways cheers.

Sniping_Crowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sniping_Crowbar

SamiRDuran

and why are u not playing your awesome console games in your 24 inch HDTV instead of bashing pc gamers at forums?

Why aren't you?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lundy86_4

Umm well becaseu the TC is spewing spit all over his monitor about How resolution is sucha "BIG" deal yadda yadda, but honestly it really doesn't matter what res you play at as long as the game is really good, small things like a games resolution shouldn't really matter. People like the TC and others ive seen in theis site talk and talk and bash consoles for having low res graphics and everything, and post threads about how they are right and that people that are playing on consoles have bad experiences becaseu the res isnt as high as a PC. Well a derp derp i better go throw out my SD tv and my entire DVD collection becaseu i guess after years of enjoying games and movies based on their gamplay merits is massive diaper because i couldn't play or watch a movie at 1080p. that is the reason for my "ignorant Remark'. Oh yes and console gamers that say their games look better Are Sony fanboys not all console gamers. anyways cheers.

Sniping_Crowbar

Seems you only see sides of things that suit your argument, eh? There are plenty of console owners on here that go on and on about how they have a slightly higher resolution game, yet you single out PC gamers alone. Seems to me you just hold a grudge for some unknown reason.

Furthermore you limit console gamers that say their games look better to solely Sony fanboys. You're just pulling out more ignorant comments as that's obviously not the case on this board. All fanboy groups are guilty of it (well, besides Sheep).

This is System Wars, what do you expect to find here? People debate the finer points and it's not always pretty. That's the point.

Sniping_Crowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sniping_Crowbar

lundy86_4

Seems you only see sides of things that suit your argument, eh? There are plenty of console owners on here that go on and on about how they have a slightly higher resolution game, yet you single out PC gamers alone. Seems to me you just hold a grudge for some unknown reason.

Furthermore you limit console gamers that say their games look better to solely Sony fanboys. You're just pulling out more ignorant comments as that's obviously not the case on this board. All fanboy groups are guilty of it (well, besides Sheep).

This is System Wars, what do you expect to find here? People debate the finer points and it's not always pretty. That's the point.

So far the only Fanboys ive seen on here that have said their games look better than PC are Sony fanboys or cows as some people call them on here. Ive seen so many friggin Uncharted 2 vs Crysis debates its rediculous. I have never seen on here seen anybody preaching about how Halo is the graphics kings over the PCS!! or GEARS 2 is NEXT gen and kills PC GAMING!! ok yeah I have never seen those. I would assume there were tons of those say maybe 5 years ago whne 360 first came out when Consoles made a huge jumo in graphics tech somewhat close to PC at that time. But Recently its all been Sony fanboys. And I don't have a grudge against PC gamers it just annoys me to see PC elitists talk and complain about resolution when people that play on consoles don't really mind the res and jaggies in some ofthe games. Its the price people pay for convenience.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lundy86_4

So far the only Fanboys ive seen on here that have said their games look better than PC are Sony fanboys or cows as some people call them on here. Ive seen so many friggin Uncharted 2 vs Crysis debates its rediculous. I have never seen on here seen anybody preaching about how Halo is the graphics kings over the PCS!! or GEARS 2 is NEXT gen and kills PC GAMING!! ok yeah I have never seen those. I would assume there were tons of those say maybe 5 years ago whne 360 first came out when Consoles made a huge jumo in graphics tech somewhat close to PC at that time. But Recently its all been Sony fanboys. And I don't have a grudge against PC gamers it just annoys me to see PC elitists talk and complain about resolution when people that play on consoles don't really mind the res and jaggies in some ofthe games. Its the price people pay for convenience.

Sniping_Crowbar

I wasn't talking about PC in regards to that point. I was talking about Cows and Lemmings debating over which games have better graphics (regularly), and when one comes out with a higher resolution all hell breaks loose (ala Alan Wake, Bayonetta etc).

You talk about PC "elitists" complaining about resolution, and that console gamers don't care about resolution, but what do you base these assumptions on? Any statistical evidence?

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

Gambler_3

While I agree with your general point, that higher resolution in games is always better...I have a 40 inch HDTV and it certainly does not look like a pixelated mess is I get close. Sorry, but that is just a fact.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#39 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts

So far the only Fanboys ive seen on here that have said their games look better than PC are Sony fanboys or cows as some people call them on here. Ive seen so many friggin Uncharted 2 vs Crysis debates its rediculous. I have never seen on here seen anybody preaching about how Halo is the graphics kings over the PCS!! or GEARS 2 is NEXT gen and kills PC GAMING!!

Sniping_Crowbar

You must have missed all the Alan Wake graphics king and AW looks better than Crysis threads made by that foliage obsessed guy...

And quite a few about Gears 3 and Reach as well.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

[QUOTE="Funconsole"]

[QUOTE="2-10-08"]

2-10-08

you clearly did not understand your own chart.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Replaying Xenosaga, I've found that SD games can look great in HD.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Honestly, its prob my lack of HD TV but I don't really care about resolution. I care about enjoyment.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18268 Posts

So, this is it right? finally, the great purpose of HD is revealed, is here so you can sit closer in front of you damn TV, gees, i hope this is a joke thread, i really hope, i mean, seriously, sitting closer to the TV, SERIOUSLY???

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Sniping_Crowbar

Same could be said for certain console users posting on this forum about how their game looks slightly better than the others. Typical console elitists.

Why make such an ignorant remark?

Whoever said that you cant enjoy games on console and need to throw away your SDTV?:?

Seems like you are putting words in my mouth, insecurity perhaps?

Gaming in higher resolution costs more money as well but this thread isnt directed to those who cant afford high-res gaming but for those who can but yet bash it!

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

ZIMdoom

While I agree with your general point, that higher resolution in games is always better...I have a 40 inch HDTV and it certainly does not look like a pixelated mess is I get close. Sorry, but that is just a fact.

Dont take it literally. I mean with an HDTV the picture quality deteriates significantly if you sit very close. I have seen that even with the best of the best TV's so this is not even a mtter of opinion.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#46 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I really enjoy both to be honest :D

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#47 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

I have a 46 in. Bravia LCD and I sit about 5 feet away from it, and I haven't noticed any games looking pixelated or anything. I know the display says 1080p on some of the 360 titles, but I hear a lot of them are only native 720p,either way they look outstanding! I have noticed once I hooked my son's up to his cpu monitor, then cranked up the resolution all the way up, it looked remarkable!! I just put a 50 in. DLP in his room, and the change from the 22in cpu monitor ,to the 50 tv does lower the picture a little, it still looks reasonable. Not that big of deal, but we all know that resolution comes hand in hand with graphics, and prettier eye candy can sell some games. I've been playing Uncharted 2 some lately and that game blows me away!

sky_rend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sky_rend
Member since 2005 • 207 Posts
Who sits close to a huge TV? It's exactly what I don't want.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Normal people do not "sit very close" to their TVs. In fact, the advantage of having a relatively big TV is not having to "sit very close" to it.

LordQuorthon
True, PC monitors require higher resolution because you sit so close to them, where as TV's are designed to be farther away and thus need less resolution. 720p is sufficient but 1080p is best still. Anything higher and you won't really notice it until screens start to top 100" as common place.
HuhJustaBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HuhJustaBox
Member since 2006 • 1585 Posts

Gambler_3

Actually, it is NO BIG DEAL. In fact, resolution is not even in the top three important criteria to look for in a tv. Your LCD (because they don't make plasmas in tiny 17 inch sizes) has a very low contrast,usually a much poorer color saturation, and most have much lower response times (4-6ms) which results in fast moving images blurring across the screen. My nice 60inch Pioneer Plasma has deep inky blacks, near perfect color saturation, perfect color accuracy, and it doesn't exhibit any motion blur at all.

According to the Imaging Science Foundation, a group that consults for home-theater manufacturers and trains professional video calibrators, the most important aspect of picture quality is contrast ratiothe second most important is color saturation, and the third is color accuracy. Resolution comes in fourth, despite being the most-cited HDTV specification. Source http://reviews.cnet.com/hdtv-resolution/?tag=moreResources.1

There is a reason why I prefer my big screen...It is because it has a BETTER PICTURE!