Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#251  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:

Dat stupid sexy Sakuai.

So he's saying Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario are extra characters that were added "free of charge." To fit his analogy, Smash Bros. without those characters is the main meal everyone's paying for, and those three clones are the free dessert. And the development time for these characters was minimal:

"Since their functionality had differences, forms were separated from each other. However, it was vital that this didn’t increase the required man-hours. Some relative tuning was sufficient as it wasn’t necessary to create balancing from scratch."

Even with this new interview, these points still stand:

1. SSB4 has less unique newcomers than Brawl
  2. SSB4 has the most cut veterans (from previous game to next game) in the series' history, and for the first time in the series' history a veteran character won't be returning because of one platform's technical limitations (Ice Climbers)
  3. Several characters, most notably Ganondorf, did not receive any real changes from Brawl to SSB4 (apart from changes resulting from a new game engine). Ganondorf doesn't even have a unique victory theme and his voice clips are exactly the same as they were in Brawl, while Dark Pit has unique voicework and a unique victory theme
  4. Overall, there are more "clones" in this roster than there were in Brawl, and if you consider playstyles of characters and attack properties, there are even more clones than there were in Melee (none of Melee's clones are as generic gameplay-wise as Dark Pit or Lucina)
  5. There's no real explanation as to why Wolf and Lucas couldn't have just been added as clones, similar to Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doc. Are their franchises no longer relevant? Does being a veteran not mean anything?

Of course, there's still the possibility that DLC will remedy all of this, but in the event that the 3DS version's roster is the final, definitive roster that we're stuck with for at least six more years, I'm disappointed.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#252 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23959 Posts

@Zassimick: That is a lot of characters you enjoy playing as.

As for the Dark Pit and Lucina, I would rather have seen Ganondorf remade than those 2 characters in combined.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#253  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

Dat stupid sexy Sakuai.

So he's saying Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario are extra characters that were added "free of charge." To fit his analogy, Smash Bros. without those characters is the main meal everyone's paying for, and those three clones are the free dessert. And the development time for these characters was minimal:

"Since their functionality had differences, forms were separated from each other. However, it was vital that this didn’t increase the required man-hours. Some relative tuning was sufficient as it wasn’t necessary to create balancing from scratch."

Even with this new interview, these points still stand:

1. SSB4 has less unique newcomers than Brawl
  2. SSB4 has the most cut veterans (from previous game to next game) in the series' history, and for the first time in the series' history a veteran character won't be returning because of one platform's technical limitations (Ice Climbers)
  3. Several characters, most notably Ganondorf, did not receive any real changes from Brawl to SSB4 (apart from changes resulting from a new game engine). Ganondorf doesn't even have a unique victory theme and his voice clips are exactly the same as they were in Brawl, while Dark Pit has unique voicework and a unique victory theme
  4. Overall, there are more "clones" in this roster than there were in Brawl, and if you consider playstyles of characters and attack properties, there are even more clones than there were in Melee (none of Melee's clones are as generic gameplay-wise as Dark Pit or Lucina)
  5. There's no real explanation as to why Wolf and Lucas couldn't have just been added as clones, similar to Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doc. Are their franchises no longer relevant? Does being a veteran not mean anything?

Of course, there's still the possibility that DLC will remedy all of this, but in the event that the 3DS version's roster is the final, definitive roster that we're stuck with for at least six more years, I'm disappointed.

There's definitely some bias.

Look at this (maybe an eight-player mode for Wii U):

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#254 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts
Loading Video...

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#255  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@Maroxad: :p I know! Hard to get better with any of them when I just keep switching it up.

And honestly, Ganondorf is my biggest disappointment in the game. He's always had the opportunity to be a really unique character but they started him out as a Cap Falcon clone and haven't wanted that to change. Which is fine. My problem with him in this game tho is that, while he's definitely a threat, his animation and voice work is laughably bad that it just takes away from how villainous the character is.

Oh well.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

The lag is better, just some occasional lag every now and then.

So, top 5 Favorite Characters so far:

1. Ness

2. Greninja

3. Robin

4. DHD Baybee

5. Shulk

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#257 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Mine would be:

1. Captain Falcon
  2. Pikachu
  3. Charizard
  4. Pac-Man
  5. Wii Fit Trainer
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I mostly use:

1. Ike

2. Lucina

3. Robin

4. Toon Link

5. Duck Hunt

Mostly swordsmen I know haha and a lot of Fire Emblem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

A handheld game has no right being so fucking good, this puts most console releases to fucking shame.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By Maroxad

@Zassimick: The Most important thing is to have fun, some people prefer playing with variety, I enjoy punching people dressed fabulously.

@charizard1605 said:

Mine would be:

1. Captain Falcon
  2. Pikachu
  3. Charizard
  4. Pac-Man
  5. Wii Fit Trainer

Would Chie Satonaka be on that list if she became a third party character through DLC? (Persona Q)

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#261 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

People committing suicide in team smash is the worst shit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Maroxad: I already have her in there as a Mii fighter :p

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

le sigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@PhazonBlazer said:

@charizard1605 said:

le sigh

Would you expect any better?

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

For me:

1. Captain Falcon
  2. Duck Hunt
  3. Fox
  4. Yoshi
  5. Pac-Man

Also a Rosalina/Luma "infinite" has been found, it only works on some characters apparently (Sheik, Captain Falcon, maybe a few others with similar weight/speed). Even if this doesn't work on every character I really hope this gets patched, IMO stuff like wobbling in Melee and chaingrabs in Brawl weren't fun to play against.

Loading Video...

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 Maroxad
@charizard1605 said:

Why am I not surprised?

@princeofshapeir said:

For me:

1. Captain Falcon
  2. Duck Hunt
  3. Fox
  4. Yoshi
  5. Pac-Man

Also a Rosalina/Luma "infinite" has been found, it only works on some characters apparently (Sheik, Captain Falcon, maybe a few others with similar weight/speed). Even if this doesn't work on every character I really hope this gets patched, IMO stuff like wobbling in Melee and chaingrabs in Brawl weren't fun to play against.

Loading Video...

Rosalina is fun to play as, but I must admit, her execution and implementation wasnt exactly right, she currently has the potential for so much abuse. Ranged attacks are practically useless against her, and she cant be very fun for my opponents to fight, thanks to stuff like that. I have successfully used my luma and rosalina's position to practically trap a foe dealing roughly 50% damage.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

All of the important bits a highlighted like this, I'm sorry that I rambled too much in this post.

Well, I went into GameStop yesterday to buy the game after finally saving up enough money, but they were out of copies; so I just ordered a one to my home from there. The problem is, though, that according to the Order Confirmation Slip I have until the 21st-28th to receive it. So it will be a while until I can test the features myself. This leaves me with one important question:

Is the online really that bad? I'm hearing mixed things.

I've played 25 hours of the Super Smash Bros. for 3DS Demo and I'm loving it so far, but the demo has gotten stale and I'm honestly sick of the level 9 CPUs. Now that my enjoyment of the gameplay is cemented, I plan to get into this game competitively in whatever way I can and for as long as the scene lasts, and a decent online mode would be my opening. In anticipation of this, I was checking out a Smash Bros. board on another website and most of them had positive things to say about the online, and they generally didn't seem biased. In an attempt to keep a lot of the new features and changes fresh for my own experimentation, I have only watched gifs and short videos. In these gifs and short videos I have seen people playing really well in a way that would seem to require a fairly smooth online environment.

However, in this thread, there has been a mainly negative view of the online feature, and from people that I understand I can trust, at least from experience. Therefore, I would be grateful to get a few different user opinions on this, and maybe background information, such as, how many wireless devices are around you, which mode you usually play, and/or the distance you are from your router while playing online.

---- On the talking points presented in the OP----

I'm excited to get to play my main, Zero Suit Samus, again and from what I've heard, she has been improved this time around, which I thought was quite necessary. I'm also looking forward to playing Marth, Sheik, and Zelda again, enough to match my interest in checking out Shulk, Greninja, and Wii Fit Trainer for the first time.

I'm going to skip out on the Friend Code stuff for now. I don't own the game, and knowing my luck with shipping, I'm not sure this order will go well. I'll throw my Friend Code into the ring once I have the game in my hands.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#268 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

@Zassimick: how did you guys do that collage with diff char skins?

i barely lag in ssb3ds now. it maybe you guys connection

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#269 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Just got the game.

FC: 3411-0744-9839. Add me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Mario1331: Take the cursor to the big box on the bottom screen after you select the character and press Y

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#271  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Maining luigi in for glory is suffering

I keep getting tossed around like a paper bag

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

Got destroyed by two different people with Zero Suit in a series of 1v1 glory games. Went from previous 50 win% of 76 to 38. Otherwise I'm having a blast. Might be my favorite 3DS game. I'm mostly using FE and LoZ characters, much better balanced than melee (though a bit slower which is a little sad).

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#273 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

So they have to be more careful describing the requirements for some of the challenges.
There's one that says "Get 50 or more KOs in a single rival smash" but I've now had two separate rival smash sessions with 53 and 58 KOs in them and it still didn't count. I'm guessing they meant to say "get 50+ KOs MORE than your opponent in rival smash". That's more than a little irksome.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

Alright, the game finally arrived today, but before I boot it up for the first time I want to put up my Friend Code:

4484 - 9009 8652

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#275 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts
@Mario1331 said:

@Zassimick: how did you guys do that collage with diff char skins?

i barely lag in ssb3ds now. it maybe you guys connection

Took me too long to get back to you! Sorry about that. :P Thanks goes to Maroxad.

@Maroxad said:
@Zassimick said:

@Maroxad: Well I'd show you mine if you told us the easiest way to make a pretty picture like you did. :P

Use this for your Background.

http://wallpapereditor.com/

You can find all character skins here.

http://imgur.com/a/0RQtP/all

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#276 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

My top five favourite characters to play as are currently

1) Olimar/Alph (He's become 10 times more interesting to play as with all the changes he's received)

2) Little Mac

3) Donkey Kong

4) Diddy Kong

5) Ness

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Is it me or does Ganondorf not suck complete balls in this game?

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

@Shinobishyguy: Try using him online 1v1 against any competent player and you will find your answer (he does unfortunately, but it doesn't stop me from using him occasionally. Sure you might eek out a win here or there, but it would be quite hard to consistently win with him I believe).

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#279 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

@Pikminmaniac: Oh yeah, I got tripped up by that too lol plus it got too tedious for me after a while. I thought the challenges were easy until I realized there were two more panels...

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#280  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Why does this site practically triple-space text after hitting Enter? Anyways, I've adjusted to the controls, and I'm loving this game. The single-player component is impressive. Top five favorite characters:

1. Zero Suit Samus
  2. Ike
  3. Lucina
  4. Samus
  5. Bowser Jr.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#281 King_Dodongo