Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

SSD prices have been dropping considerably over the last 12 months. Just look at the Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Gen 4 NVME on the UK Amazon site. £140 quid for 2TB, that's also compatible with PS5

Then you've got this travesty. Still a whopping £204 for a 1TB 'Expansion Card' on the Series X|S. Comparatively, an absolute rip off, and still no competing drive manufacturer.

I've got 2 Gen 4 NVME drives in my PC, a 1TB and a 2TB along with an external 2TB drive connected to my motherboard's USB C port.

Obviously, the prices of NVME 2280 M.2 drives are pretty good value now. But if you're an Xbox owner, oh dear.

Thoughts system warriors....

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#2  Edited By Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

It's like Sony learned from the PS Vita memory card issues where it would only use their proprietary cards......

And MS was like HEY PROPRIETARY MEDIA SOUNDS like a great idea!

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Why would you need extra storage on an xbox? It has no games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

Yep, too much. Isn’t it going to open up to more manufacturers soon? I’m waiting for Western Digital myself. Hopefully that’ll help lower the price.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

Yup saw this coming. It's one of my complaints of the XSX/S. Pointless custom memory card to expand storage. It just creates waste. There was no need for it.

It' not like the Xbox SSD is even especially fast or anything. In terms of value for money it's a complete rip off.

Hopefully MS dump it in a future hardware revision, or at least add a slot for an NVME drive too in the console.

It would also be good if Sony make it a bit easier to install in the PS5 in a future revision too (not that it's too difficult or anything).

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Your pricing OP is a bit off.

That said, it is still too high.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3400 Posts

Everyone saw it coming, weird decision on their side. Having said that I always struggle to understand how people run out of storage on their consoles.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pedro

@kathaariancode said:

Everyone saw it coming, weird decision on their side. Having said that I always struggle to understand how people run out of storage on their consoles.

Cause consoles have no games?😉

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bond007uk

@Pedro said:

Your pricing OP is a bit off.

That said, it is still too high.

Remember, I'm British lol

I think UK Store 'Game' Has them for about £170, which is a little better, but still way high considering you can still get 2TB for a PS5 and PC for £30 less! in the UK the 2TB is going for around £339!!!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pedro

@Bond007uk said:

Remember, I'm British lol

I think UK Store 'Game' Has them for about £170, which is a little better, but still way high considering you can still get 2TB for a PS5 and PC for £30 less! in the UK the 2TB is going for around £339!!!

I know you all tend to pay more. Note, I am not disagreeing that it is too high.😊

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2451 Posts

Proprietary was and always will be a mistake. But it’s a good sign that prices are coming down. I have a couple Series X consoles and a Series S that still need memory expansion. Only my ”main” Xbox has a card installed at the moment

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

They should just make an adapter for m.2 nvme and sell that.

They disabled the use of third party adapters. 😐😑

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Yeah, proprietary add ons are the poop. I'm pretty happy with the capacity of my series x, but would be nice to have more options for other storage.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

paying more for slower drives, nobody could have seen this coming

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

I had even more fun slapping my own ultra cheap 980 white label and a cool but fitting heatsink into the PS5 than I ever would buying overpriced peripherals.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Well according to lems, MS likes to give their players a choice. Either pay price for a 1tb or stick with what they currently have 🤣

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1239 Posts

Do things work differently then Xbox One?

I bought an external SSD in like 2019 that i used on my one X, and have since upgraded to a series x. Is that SSD not going to be compatible with the SX?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

This proves Sony made the right decision regarding storage. I only got a 1tb storage card because I had a few Amazon gift cards I had to use. Got a 1tb wd black sn850 for 120 for my ps5.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

I'm outraged I tell you what, Outraged.

Well, not really, I'm not a raging cow. lol :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

The Xbox Velocity Architecture is a key innovation of our next-generation consoles, delivering unprecedented speed and performance that enables transformative gaming experiences never before possible on console. This level of consistent, sustained performance requires advanced components beyond the traditional hard drives or SSDs often found in PCs. By partnering with an industry leader in Seagate, we worked together to deliver an expandable storage solution that delivers identical performance at the lowest cost possible.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@kathaariancode said:

Same boat. That would seem to be an issue for people that share consoles. Although, when I lived at home and gamed a ton I could see it being an issue for that phase of my life.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

You could buy a television at that price. Jeez.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@Star67 said:

It's like Sony learned from the PS Vita memory card issues where it would only use their proprietary cards......

And MS was like HEY PROPRIETARY MEDIA SOUNDS like a great idea!

Not exactly proprietary. They're CFExpress cards. But these ones are faster, bigger and cheaper than the average CFExpress card, so in that way, they are proprietary.

The point of them was the plug and play nature and the easy installation. The trade off was the price.

So right now, a 256GB 1700MB/s CFExpress card can range from £150 to £300 plus. So the 1TB 3000MB/s CFExpress cards for the Xbox Series, in this context is not unreasonable. However, it's still not really an appropriate price range for this particular consumer market.

In theory, CFExpress suits the nature of consoles. In reality, the price unfortunately just doesn't gel. But I think the problem with the price is not technology based.

The pro grade CFExpress cards are expensive because they're pro hardware which isn't in high demand. The problem with the price of the Xbox Series CFExpress cards, is the lack of competition in manufacturing them, with only Seagate doing it. I think in that sense the issue is the customised nature of the Xbox Series CFExpress cards. Seagate probably developed it for MS. And with only them making it, the price isn't coming down enough.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

I'm slowly trying to replace all my SSD drives in favor of NVME just by going 2TB for my PC. Anyway, it's crazy to think MS thought it was a good idea to start ripping people off when Sony had a better solution. I hope MS fixed that whenever they're ready to ship out those mid-gen upgrades.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6039 Posts

I have my Seagate 2TB from the XB1 attached to my Series X, and have been able to play all but 2 games from it.

I have over 70 games installed on it and works fine, so no need to buy the Series specific ones for the highway robbery prices they're asking for them.

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts

One of the many reasons why so many of us choose to game primarily (not exclusively) in PC: the opportunity to be reliably free of proprietary technologies and peripherals that only serve to enrich the hardware manufacturers as they try to claw back the losses they usually take on the console hardware sales.

While Sony did us a solid with regular NVMe drives this gen and the last couple of gens, in the past they too had proprietary hardware for storage (PS1, PS2, Vita). Nintendo, of course, always has proprietary hardware. And everyone in the console space makes sure to add on proprietary controllers to make sure you spend $60-$200 unnecessarily so that you have an extra compatible controller or racing wheel for the new gen hardware even though there is often no real gaming imperative that can explain older controllers not also working. Controllers are an example of that eternal console money-grab, along with paid online gaming which is just absolutely embarrassing in 2023. Where on PC you can use any controller that has ever existed on any console at long as it has a USB interface or can be modified to have one. You can use a PS3, Switch, Xbox, or any other controller to play Returnal or God of War on PC. 20 years from now, if your PS3 controller still works, you'll *still* be able to use it to play the newest games on PC if you choose to. No dongles or mods needed, which is something you *already* can't say about the PS family. And online remains free forever, as it should have always been. To say nothing of the reliable hardware and software discounts across the dozens of PC key stores.

So yea, just another reminder that proprietary hardware sucks. While Sony is doing less of it now, they still do it with their controllers and VR headsets and Nintendo is the worst offender of the bunch. For-profit companies gonna for-profit.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

If you half-ass it and get a console, well, you better be ready to pay out the ass at later points for proprietary hardware since you willingly entered into a walled garden, more or less.

It's kind of like if you buy Mac/Apple stuff. No, you can't use any ol' charger, you have to get the special one that's twice as expensive and whose cable frays after two months. But at least it looks cool, right?

Should just get a PC 😁

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

most ps5 users .

wont put a m.2 into their ps5.

its to hard for them

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pedro

Western Digital now has expansion cards for Series X|S. If only this happened sooner rather than this late.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bond007uk

@Pedro said:

Western Digital now has expansion cards for Series X|S. If only this happened sooner rather than this late.

Indeed. While cheaper, they're still at least 50 to 60% more expensive than a same spec PC (or PS5 compatible) NVME drive. Still, it's a start.