The PS3 is venturing into the territory where it may actually be DISCONTINUED

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jedigemini
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

Try to downplay it all you want, but the PS3 falling to a pitiful 8k of sales a week in Japan, and and perhaps an even more shocking 80 k in NA monthly sales does not bode well for a company that just posted a 2 billion dollar loss in its gaming division (which wiped out their previous 4 years of profits), a company that is laying off employee's, had to replace the head of their gaming division, and already discontinue the 20 gb version of the PS3. 

Sony is in full panick mode, and for good reason. The prospect of the PS3 being discontinued is no longer a Systemwars-ish assertion... it's on the way to becoming a fully blown reality.

Sony's situation has quickly regressed into a nightmare scenario, and the outcome may also be nightmarish. I'm not a big Sony fan, but I hope the PS3 pulls through as I would hate to see Sony leave the console business.    

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
I'll eat my PS2 if the PS3 is discontinued anytime soon.
jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jedigemini
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts
[QUOTE="jedigemini"]

Try to downplay it all you want, but the PS3 falling to a pitiful 8k of sales a week in Japan, and and perhaps an even more shocking 80 k in NA monthly sales does not bode well for a company that just posted a 2 billion dollar loss in its gaming division (which wiped out their previous 4 years of profits), a company that is laying off employee's, had to replace the head of their gaming division, and already discontinue the 20 gb version of the PS3.

Sony is in full panick mode, and for good reason. The prospect of the PS3 being discontinued is no longer to be considered a fanboy assertion... it's on the way to becoming a fully blown reality.

Sony's situation has quickly turned into a nightmare scenario, and the outcome may also be nightmarish. I'm not a big Sony fan, but I hope the PS3 pulls through as I would hate to see Sony leave the console business.

mubarakibnumar

LMFAO.u a sony fan.Yeah right and bush has an iq of 200 

I said I'm not a Sony fan. Learn how to read.
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts
I cant see that happening...
Mizuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mizuke
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
3 million plus buying a console at what is labeled as an "outrageous" price with few games.
moohan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 moohan
Member since 2006 • 867 Posts
Listen, I am currently not a big fan of what Sony is doing with the PS3, but there is no way in hell the console is going to be discontinued. Maybe if all of the "killer apps" that are supposed to be coming out within the next year all bomb and sales continue to be extremely low, but we all know that is not going to happen.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts
I'll eat my PS2 if the PS3 is discontinued anytime soon.Verge_6
        Everyone has at least 2 b/c the first one broke so - Eat the Broken one - mmmm crunchy ;)
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
I would not count the PS3 out so quickly......They do have a number of things going for them.
RahnAetas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RahnAetas
Member since 2003 • 1834 Posts
Still going to be a year before we find out if it's in real danger or not.  Well... the holiday season will most likely decide of the PS3 lives or dies.
Metroid_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Metroid_Time
Member since 2006 • 2225 Posts

Get ready to be picking plastic out of your teeth for a couple  months then 

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

it's lost 2 billion in 6 months. at this rate sony may not have a choice.

i'm guessing and early ps4 launch.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 85070537783
Member since 2005 • 1219 Posts
If the decision was up to me, the moment they said 2 billion loses I'd say discontinue and let's keep supporting the PS3 until they get bored.
Metroid_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Metroid_Time
To the OP: Did Sony really erase FOUR YEARS worth of profits? Because that is crazy if they did that is when they were selling PS2s insanely good.
haols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 haols
Member since 2005 • 2348 Posts
The sad fact is that a discontinue of the PS brand is no longer impossible.

No one expected the dreamcast to be the end of Sega.

Even though SONY is in no way the same situation, the PS3 drains far more cash then the DC ever did.
nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nickmag
Member since 2006 • 6710 Posts
Come on, give it time. There are two games worth owning on it at the moment, I'm sure once Christmas hits it will be selling like hot cakes.
freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freeload
Member since 2003 • 8139 Posts

Try to downplay it all you want, but the PS3 falling to a pitiful 8k of sales a week in Japan, and and perhaps an even more shocking 80 k in NA monthly sales does not bode well for a company that just posted a 2 billion dollar loss in its gaming division (which wiped out their previous 4 years of profits), a company that is laying off employee's, had to replace the head of their gaming division, and already discontinue the 20 gb version of the PS3. 

Sony is in full panick mode, and for good reason. The prospect of the PS3 being discontinued is no longer a Systemwars-ish assertion... it's on the way to becoming a fully blown reality.

Sony's situation has quickly regressed into a nightmare scenario, and the outcome may also be nightmarish. I'm not a big Sony fan, but I hope the PS3 pulls through as I would hate to see Sony leave the console business.    

jedigemini

PS3 will be around until this generation and that is the end of this debate...

Metroid_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Metroid_Time

Even though SONY is in no way the same situation, the PS3 drains far more cash then the DC ever did. haols

The bigger they are the harder they fall. Sony has invested insane amounts of money into the console expecting success. 

nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nickmag

Even though SONY is in no way the same situation, the PS3 drains far more cash then the DC ever did. haols

Sony are a bigger company than Sega ever was. Sony doesn't just make consoles which is what Sega basically did...
masterdeviance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 masterdeviance
Member since 2007 • 72 Posts
A wee bit premature for announcing its death, but you're right that Sony is in hot water. PS3 needs a HUGE pickup in sales this holiday season. A smart move would be a price drop a month before the holiday buying season, but we'll see whether Sony has the good sense enough to do this.
vader327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 vader327
Member since 2004 • 149 Posts

Come on, give it time. There are two games worth owning on it at the moment, I'm sure once Christmas hits it will be selling like hot cakes.nickmag

The PS3 will not be discontinued anytime soon, but I'm curious as to why you think it will be selling like hotcakes? I've been considering buying one just because I want all the consoles, but what game is going to be the system seller? MGS4 has been delayed until March and may go mult-platform. Lair or Heavenly Sword? They look great, but will they really move consoles? I really want a healthy competition between the consoles. It makes for great 1st party games and real innovation. I'm just not seeing it from Sony. Halo 3 is a system seller and you know MS will have a Halo 3 themed Xbox 360.

Avatar image for FrostyPhoenixxx
FrostyPhoenixxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FrostyPhoenixxx
Member since 2007 • 122 Posts

People play the software, not the console. They are forced to buy a console to play the games. They want a console to be as cheap as possible to let them do this.

This is why Wii is destroying PS3, people don't give a **** about new technology, they just want to play games as cheaply as possible. Sony don't understand this which is why PS3 IS the next Dreamcast, but without the good games...

MGS4 is going to 360, of that I'm 100% certain, PS3 sales are simply to low to keep it exclusive.

Ericvon71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ericvon71
Member since 2004 • 3219 Posts

Here is the a link for the financial analyst who started this thread!

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/may2007/gb20070517_719071.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_global+business

nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nickmag

The PS3 will not be discontinued anytime soon, but I'm curious as to why you think it will be selling like hotcakes? I've been considering buying one just because I want all the consoles, but what game is going to be the system seller? MGS4 has been delayed until March and may go mult-platform. Lair or Heavenly Sword? They look great, but will they really move consoles? I really want a healthy competition between the consoles. It makes for great 1st party games and real innovation. I'm just not seeing it from Sony. Halo 3 is a system seller and you know MS will have a Halo 3 themed Xbox 360.

vader327

Obviously you can't compete with Halo, not even MGS doesn't appeal to anywhere near the kind of audience Halo has. What the PS3 does have in it's favour is potential. FF, MGS, Ratchet and Clank are all coming out within roughly a years time from now (maybe a little longer for FF) henceforth I always believed that most potential PS3 owners are still waiting in the wings until christmas time to shell out for their console of choice. I also believe that the PS3 is more of a 'family' console choice, seeing as it appeals to the older and younger masses (not as much as the 360 appeals to the older, whilst the Wii appeals to the younger), so if a family was to purchase one machine it would most likely be the PS3 soon (also for it's blu-ray capabilities). All personal opinion though etc
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#25 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts
The PS3 won't be discontinued, but the PS3 is definitely hurting very badly right now. There's no denying it.
chrisdojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chrisdojo
Member since 2005 • 5065 Posts
yep, sony is pwning themselves BADLY.
rockstar183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rockstar183
Member since 2006 • 1637 Posts
om no  you are crazy if u really think this .
haols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 haols
Member since 2005 • 2348 Posts
[QUOTE="haols"]The sad fact is that a discontinue of the PS brand is no longer impossible.

Even though SONY is in no way the same situation, the PS3 drains far more cash then the DC ever did. nickmag

Sony are a bigger company than Sega ever was. Sony doesn't just make consoles which is what Sega basically did...

But SONY would put down the PS-brand if it continues to drain their money, the shareholders would demand it.
vader327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 vader327
Member since 2004 • 149 Posts

Obviously you can't compete with Halo, not even MGS doesn't appeal to anywhere near the kind of audience Halo has. What the PS3 does have in it's favour is potential. FF, MGS, Ratchet and Clank are all coming out within roughly a years time from now (maybe a little longer for FF) henceforth I always believed that most potential PS3 owners are still waiting in the wings until christmas time to shell out for their console of choice. I also believe that the PS3 is more of a 'family' console choice, seeing as it appeals to the older and younger masses (not as much as the 360 appeals to the older, whilst the Wii appeals to the younger), so if a family was to purchase one machine it would most likely be the PS3 soon (also for it's blu-ray capabilities). All personal opinion though etc
nickmag

I agree with much of what you said except the last part. Families are clearly opting for the Wii due to pricepoint. The PS3 appeals to me for my Theater Room due to Blu-Ray, but it's a niche market right now. Either way, Sony needs to beat the 360 this Christmas. I'm just not sure the games are there. Potential sold the PS3 to the hard core folks, but the 360 is really delivering the goods. PS3 has enough good games coming to satisfy current owners, but where is the big one that will move systems?

Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts

Although the PS3 is in big trouble, it seems too early to predict its demise. Sony is much bigger than Sega. We'll have a clearer picture this holiday season.

JediA_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JediA_basic
Member since 2002 • 404 Posts

Try to downplay it all you want, but the PS3 falling to a pitiful 8k of sales a week in Japan, and and perhaps an even more shocking 80 k in NA monthly sales does not bode well for a company that just posted a 2 billion dollar loss in its gaming division (which wiped out their previous 4 years of profits), a company that is laying off employee's, had to replace the head of their gaming division, and already discontinue the 20 gb version of the PS3.

Sony is in full panick mode, and for good reason. The prospect of the PS3 being discontinued is no longer a Systemwars-ish assertion... it's on the way to becoming a fully blown reality.

Sony's situation has quickly regressed into a nightmare scenario, and the outcome may also be nightmarish. I'm not a big Sony fan, but I hope the PS3 pulls through as I would hate to see Sony leave the console business.

jedigemini

Finally someone in this forum that has some sense of how big corporations act in this kind of a situation. Sony can't keep bleeding red because of one division. Something WILL have to give soon at Sony. I think they'll try to get through this holiday season, but if things don't improve after that, I expect drastic changes from Sony.

Tamarind_Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tamarind_Face
Member since 2007 • 2270 Posts
Sony is a very huge company... They arent like Sega.
Crovax20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Crovax20
Member since 2004 • 3880 Posts

So its wait till holiday season 07 now?

Wow where is that list with all the: "wait till (insert event/holiday/game here)" 

It must be growing steadily 

slduncanlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 slduncanlaw
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts

[QUOTE="haols"]The sad fact is that a discontinue of the PS brand is no longer impossible.

Even though SONY is in no way the same situation, the PS3 drains far more cash then the DC ever did. nickmag

Not entirely accurate.  Sony Corp is the parent company of several individual companies that together comprise of the whole and are publicly traded under one stock.  SCEA is one of those companies that fall under Sony Corp.  Think of it like each individual state is sovereign but fall under the ultimate governance of the federa gov.  Except in Sony's and SCEA's case, Sony can pick who is the Govenor of the state, so to speak.  And if one state's economy fails (SCEA) it gets to take all the profits of the neighbor state (SONY Pictures Entertainment) to balance the fed economy.

So, to your statement - SCEA is not bigger than SEGA.  The bottom line is that Sony Corp will give PS3 more time to turn around into a viable business.  But Sony is a smart company - they simply will not keep the PS3 around if it continues to drain the company.  Stockholders have never in the history of publicly traded companies allowed for such a situation - and they, despite who you might think - have the ultimate say.

DGZeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DGZeus
Member since 2002 • 2796 Posts

3 million plus buying a console at what is labeled as an "outrageous" price with few games.Mizuke
I think you need to check the NPD numbers again and look at the public is really saying.  The POS 2 did not reach critical mass until it was affordable.  I don't see that happening for the POS 3 the fanboys already have theirs.  Sony failed to recognize that the mass market in this current economy (at least in the US and Japan) can't afford and will not buy a $600 game console even the hardest Sony fan has to see that. 

The Wii has proven that price point is extremely important, it has 1 game that gamers consider worth a poop yet look at its sales they don't need a price drop for a while as demand is still high.  MS sits in the middle of the road but can't seem to sell enough, while Halo 3 will push sales a price drop will drive sales more.

ramey70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ramey70
Member since 2006 • 4002 Posts

Here is the a link for the financial analyst who started this thread!

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/may2007/gb20070517_719071.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_global+business

Ericvon71

It doesn't matter. System Wars is full of MBA holders from some of the most recognized Business schools in the country. In fact, during my junior year of school at UT-Austin we were told that in lieu of actually attending lectures we could just read System Wars all day long and absorb all of the real business knowledge we would ever need.

DGZeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DGZeus
[QUOTE="vader327"]

nickmag

The problem with the wait and see approach in toys society (The Now Generation) waiting is not in Sony's favor.  I have a budy who loves his PS2 was going to get a PS3 but he's tired of waiting for a good game, so he bought a 360.
DGZeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DGZeus
[QUOTE="vader327"]

nickmag

The problem with the wait and see approach in toys society (The Now Generation) waiting is not in Sony's favor.  I have a budy who loves his PS2 was going to get a PS3 but he's tired of waiting for a good game, so he bought a 360.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#39 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

[QUOTE="Mizuke"]3 million plus buying a console at what is labeled as an "outrageous" price with few games.DGZeus

I think you need to check the NPD numbers again and look at the public is really saying.  The POS 2 did not reach critical mass until it was affordable.  I don't see that happening for the POS 3 the fanboys already have theirs.  Sony failed to recognize that the mass market in this current economy (at least in the US and Japan) can't afford and will not buy a $600 game console even the hardest Sony fan has to see that. 

The Wii has proven that price point is extremely important, it has 1 game that gamers consider worth a poop yet look at its sales they don't need a price drop for a while as demand is still high.  MS sits in the middle of the road but can't seem to sell enough, while Halo 3 will push sales a price drop will drive sales more.

Don't confuse cows with facts & logic. They don't like it. ;)

To them, a $600 console is actually cheap and anyone is a fool to think otherwise.

Avatar image for danielsmith2020
danielsmith2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 danielsmith2020
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts
Yep ps3 is in so much trouble I mean imagine selling thousands of units every week that is definately a reason to discontinue a product....What are you an idiot? Until the ps3 starts selling less than 1000 units a week why would they discontinue it?
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shungokustasu
Member since 2004 • 7190 Posts
You would think with the Halo 3 beta out, less of these flamebait threads would appear.
bluebrad1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 bluebrad1974
Member since 2005 • 5162 Posts
They will give the PS3 a price drop before they discontinue it. I imagine the PS3 will last atleast 3-4 years, given that things don't improve drastically.
Chris-Hansen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Chris-Hansen
Member since 2007 • 685 Posts
i came in here, and thought, oh another greg_splicer /nasos thread this could be fun. and saw it was jedigemini, and that guys threads are never good. you know if the ps3 was selling better they wouldve lost way more money right ? you think sony didnt plan to take a hit like this ?

do you know why they acquired all the movie studios and are now the biggest movie studio on the planet, and they broke profit records in 2006 in that studio and had the most #1 movies of all time ? and now they seem to be continuing the trend with spiderman 3 on a faster pace than both 2 and 1 were and all the other movies they have coming. pirates coming exclusive on bluray, etc, etc. this hit was a part of the bluray investment, and ivestments take time to pay off not 3 months.
HarpoonArtic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HarpoonArtic
Member since 2007 • 93 Posts

No.

319ni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#45 319ni
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
bluebrad1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bluebrad1974
Member since 2005 • 5162 Posts
i came in here, and thought, oh another greg_splicer /nasos thread this could be fun. and saw it was jedigemini, and that guys threads are never good. you know if the ps3 was selling better they wouldve lost way more money right ? you think sony didnt plan to take a hit like this ?

do you know why they acquired all the movie studios and are now the biggest movie studio on the planet, and they broke profit records in 2006 in that studio and had the most #1 movies of all time ? and now they seem to be continuing the trend with spiderman 3 on a faster pace than both 2 and 1 were and all the other movies they have coming. pirates coming exclusive on bluray, etc, etc. this hit was a part of the bluray investment, and ivestments take time to pay off not 3 months.Chris-Hansen
Did you just associate movie sales with a game console?
slduncanlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 slduncanlaw
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris-Hansen"]i came in here, and thought, oh another greg_splicer /nasos thread this could be fun. and saw it was jedigemini, and that guys threads are never good. you know if the ps3 was selling better they wouldve lost way more money right ? you think sony didnt plan to take a hit like this ?

do you know why they acquired all the movie studios and are now the biggest movie studio on the planet, and they broke profit records in 2006 in that studio and had the most #1 movies of all time ? and now they seem to be continuing the trend with spiderman 3 on a faster pace than both 2 and 1 were and all the other movies they have coming. pirates coming exclusive on bluray, etc, etc. this hit was a part of the bluray investment, and ivestments take time to pay off not 3 months.bluebrad1974

This must be some bait tactic Dateline is using to expose internet fanboy violence.  NICE TRY BUDDY!

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

First off, no, it did NOT wipe out 4 years of profits.  Not from SCE or even from Sony as a whole.

2nd, I'm surprised everyone still thinks these companies are just in the business for the gamers.  This is not some side project to be scuttled at the first sign of adversity.  Many companies for a long time have quested after the ultimate set-top box that will channel all of your entertainment to you.  Sony and MS realized that their odds of success were greater if they supplied a box that had been accepted more than a decade before, the game console, to achieve these ends.  This battle isn't just among hardware boxes, it also entails formats, codecs and content over various genres and for everyone in the household.  So, no; Sony will not be rebutted by a couple billion dollar loss any more than MS has been with their own multiple, billion dollar losses in this endeavour.  Nintendo, meanwhile, seems to be enjoying their "good guy", underdog, "just for gamers" image even though they somehow managed to get just about every aspect of an online console (including shopping) working, except for playing games online.  Whether this is an act to be more surreptitious and less upfront than Sony and MS; or if it is more telling on Nintendo's insistence of the highest quality in what they do, has yet to be seen.

Warfust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#49 Warfust
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts
They would not kill it so soon, at the very least they would hold off on a decision until 2008.
Chris-Hansen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Chris-Hansen
Member since 2007 • 685 Posts
[QUOTE="Chris-Hansen"]i came in here, and thought, oh another greg_splicer /nasos thread this could be fun. and saw it was jedigemini, and that guys threads are never good. you know if the ps3 was selling better they wouldve lost way more money right ? you think sony didnt plan to take a hit like this ?

do you know why they acquired all the movie studios and are now the biggest movie studio on the planet, and they broke profit records in 2006 in that studio and had the most #1 movies of all time ? and now they seem to be continuing the trend with spiderman 3 on a faster pace than both 2 and 1 were and all the other movies they have coming. pirates coming exclusive on bluray, etc, etc. this hit was a part of the bluray investment, and ivestments take time to pay off not 3 months.bluebrad1974

is sony not the makers of movies and game consoles, and music and electronics, etc, etc ? is sony not one company ? you must not understand business.