The perfect game

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#51 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

Shenmue Shenmue 2 gtav last of us redemption uncharted 2 mass effect 2 gta san andreas final fantasy 7 resident evil remake ni no kuni batman ac bloodborne Xenoblade chronicles zelda wind weaker assassin creed 2 halo gears of war god of war 3

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#52 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

My nominees would include Final Fantasy VI and Resident Evil 4. There's absolutely nothing I could nitpick about and that to me qualify them as flawless.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4: we did it all ourselves too. The whole community helped. That announcer was a player.

The tourneys ....for glory. There was no million dollar prize.

Ahhhhh....those.were the days.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 284

User Lists: 37

#54  Edited By heguain
Member since 2007 • 1434 Posts

Witcher 3 is the definition of perfection for me. Choices and Consquences are its greatest achievement, simply mind-blowing. Quest design (most important element for me in any game) is amazing, side quests are never repetitive or a filler (even those mini sidequests feel different) and sometimes better than main quests. In a way 2 playable Witchers. The treasure hunting might be boring in other games but here, sometimes it feels like a puzzle to find it. There's even addictive mini-games! Gwent. Skills are fantastic, a mix of signs and brutally fun challenging fluid combat never gets boring. More than 60 types of unique monsters, bestiary is now more useful. Armor upgrade is truly awesome. Tutorials feel a lot more helpful than before. I've always wanted under water exploration at any time, W3 does it better than any game. Exploration is heavily rewarding, there are dungeons to explore and stuff. Horses (who I'm kidding?! they're all Roach :) ) are useful, customizable and epic to ride. Story, characters, voice acting are.....INCREDIBLE. Graphics feel like a true next gen, not downgraded or anything. Soundtracks are a masterpiece, there isn't even a single one that ain't awesome. Atmosphere might feel better in Witcher 2, but it's really great in W3. First open-world that I probably like. Expansion has high production values like those in StarCraft II.

Sounds like a review, I know. :)

Dragon Origins is also another perfect game for me, not one mistake.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18254 Posts

I have to go with Chrono Trigger, not only is the game still playable today thanks to the great gameplay, but the pixels haven't aged a bit even after so many years, the plot is great, the characters are all memorable, the music is timeless, it has a lot of challenge, lots of content, lots of charming moments, it just did so many things right, is hard to see a flaw in the game, i mean is not my favorite game ever, that one is OoT, but Chrono Trigger is on a close second.

I could also mention Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World...i mean is there anything "bad" in those games?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#56 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

None of my favorite games are perfect

• KOTOR has glitches out the wazoo
  • Borderlands 2 struggled to run on its hardware
  • Fable 2 has some of the worst/most shallow combat of any Action RPG

....but I will say Halo: Combat Evolved is pretty damn close to perfect. Not my favorite game, but damn near perfect.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: can you imagine a new streets of rage done with HD 2D sprites and animation like the blaz blue games? Holy shit I'd buy this game even before it releases.

Maybe we should contact sega and tell them to at least put it up for Kickstarter...... But then again this is sega we are talking about. If sonic ain't in the title then might as well forget it

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9868 Posts

Perfect is kind of good :p. I mean if you take Mario64 I still can't believe how great that game was and yet the camera is kind of wonky so it fails to be perfect. I suppose Super Mario World (as some have allready said) actually is kind of perfect. And Link to the Past as well. More modern examples would be something like Mark of the Ninja, or Hotline Miami.

I don't really know what's wrong with those games, so at least to me they're perfect.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By Fairmonkey  Online
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

Tetris

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Max Payne 1 and 2. The games had revolutionary gunplay features, amazing polish and perfect pacing.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#63 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

Saw a few people mentioning The Witcher 3. I love that game and I could see myself giving that a 10/10, but a 10/10 aint necessarily perfect, and neither is TW3. There's plenty of flaws in that game, and if we were to go by the definition of perfect TC gave in the OP, Witcher 3 wouldn't even come close to qualifying. Obvious flaws such as technical glitches aside, there was plenty that worked against the game (such as the stupid horse riding and the repetitive Contract quests, to name a few). It's definitely one of my all time favourite games, but there's no doubt that there were areas where the game has loads of room for improvement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

Interesting topic. While my favorite is Parasite Eve it absolutely has problems.

I think Super Metroid is the only game I can think of that I would describe as perfect. The exploration is sublime getting dropped on zebes and left to go just feels right. All the abilities a Samus gets feel useful and the game actually requires you to use them throughout the game in creative ways. The bosses are excellently designed and are very memorable. That soundtrack too,don't think that needs any further explanation.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 284

User Lists: 37

#65 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1434 Posts

@robokill said:

Stacraft 1, Diablo 2, Warcraft 2, Link to The Past, Super Mario World, Half-Life 1, Dark Souls 1, Witcher 3.

Because games are made by humans perfect is a bit of a misnomer. As good as humanly possible is more accurate

Agreed and nice games.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22783 Posts

@getyeryayasout: that game looks so sick... Smash TV before there were "BIG MONEY! BIG PRIZES! IIIII LOVE IT!"

On topic... A link to the past is one of maybe 3 games I'd argue could be considered perfect... Portal 2 and Actraiser possibly being the other 2.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#67 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

I couldn't go without mentioning Super Mario Galaxy 2. So pure.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21702 Posts

@demon-returns said:

@Renegade_Fury: can you imagine a new streets of rage done with HD 2D sprites and animation like the blaz blue games? Holy shit I'd buy this game even before it releases.

Maybe we should contact sega and tell them to at least put it up for Kickstarter...... But then again this is sega we are talking about. If sonic ain't in the title then might as well forget it

Yeah, I wouldn't count on SEGA doing anything with this IP other than releasing the old games for the 10th time. For some reason, they just refuse to acknowledge this series, even in the All-Stars games. If you haven't played Streets of Rage Remake, I'd really recommend checking it out, because it's probably better than anything SEGA would do anyway.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the closest thing to perfect that I can think of.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: how can i play the remake? I'm assuming it's for pc?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#71  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19587 Posts

Streets of Rage 2 - The perfect arcade-style action game.

Resident Evil 4 - The perfect action-adventure game.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21702 Posts

@demon-returns said:

@Renegade_Fury: how can i play the remake? I'm assuming it's for pc?

Yeah, it's a fan game for the PC, and it's right there if you google search it; just make sure to get version 5. Imagine all three SoR games combined with branching paths, every character (both old and new) and their different versions from each game being playable, a ridiculous number of gameplay options that only a diehard SoR fan could appreciate, a remastered soundtrack, a boss rush mode, and countless other extras. It's basically the definitive version of Streets of Rage, and it was a pretty big deal when it came out in 2011. I can't recommend it enough.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@themajormayor said:

Portal 2 for sure. Every element is flawless; gameplay, story, music, tone etc. Not my favorite but objectively the best game of all time

I wouldn't disagree with this, thinking back I can't muster a single gripe with that game, not one.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@getyeryayasout:

We must talk Monday night and you need to come on the show..lol

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#75 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I would have to go with

• TLOU
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Kotor
  • The Witcher 3
  • WoW vanilla-WoW Wotlk
  • Warcraft 3
  • MGS3
  • MGS5 (Yea I'm putting it at as a perfect game so suck it)
longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#76 longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

Portal or Portal 2 are the closest in my experience

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#77 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts
Loading Video...

Trackmania Nations, just look at the game!

Perfect physics, perfect track selection/ track builder, perfect online

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#78 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@jg4xchamp: Really surprised you didn't name any game from your holy trinity

It's simple while I would easily put Super Metroid or Resident Evil 4, and dare I say even Metroid Prime with its fetch quest at the end in that rare air, I think there is a degree of truth to people not liking backtracking (though I think that's usually lame and stupid), the part where Resident Evil 4 is a sequel certainly has its own arguments and ending the game with Saddler is fairly weak considering how good the rest of RE4 is, the knocks against Tetris people will present are usually universally shit.

-It's a game without a story: you go get aids please
-There isn't a lot to the mechanics: It's simple and elegant while having a proper scoring system and structure that does separate good players from mediocre ones. Any idiot can pick it up on a basic level, and its random elements don't take away the idea that you can get good at it. It not being Stracraft level skill ceiling or Dwarf Fortress level complex isn't a knock, that's you fishing.
-It doesn't have color: Again technology rule you took care of for me, plus nowadays Tetris is in color.

It's not my favorite game, it wouldn't be my pick for best puzzle game, but I'd sure as **** have a hard time arguing against Tetris's excellence. So yeah Tetris, plus that one Matthewmatosis video is pretty excellent.

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

Quake 3 Arena

Castlevania: SotN

Tetris

Mega Man 2

C&C: Red Alert

FF6

Diablo 2

These are all perfect for me that i can't single just one out, there are certainly other games not listed that i may like more and play more but the above list in my eyes are as good as can get with nothing to criticize as far as i'm concerned.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Debating whether or not to be that asshole that debates some of these choices.

That being said, ugh, Majora's Mask? Lol

What's wrong with MM? It's only the best Zelda game!

For me, the perfect game is The Last of Us:

It managed to completely grip me for the entire game, where both individual parts and the whole felt perfect. It had great writing, characters, setting, pacing, gameplay, sound effects, soundtrack, atmosphere... It even had a brilliant multiplayer which became its own campaign in a way. I wish I could experience it for the first time again

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

No argumenst here one of my all time favorites.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

Castlevania 3, Super Castlevania 4, and Castlevania SotN rank high on my list! Great series, too bad Konami isn't doing right by their IP's for the fans anymore

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

We might not agree on much but A Link to the past is truly one of the greatest if not the greatest game of all time.

A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, FF6, FF4, Crono Trigger, Street Fighter 2, Mario Kart, Actraiser, Castlevainia 4, Mario World, Earthbound.

I don't know how anyone can look at how awesome the SNES was and not look at WiiU and be disgusted.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

For me its a late comer but i would say GTA V is my perfect game. You can play the game as its meant to be played with the story missions but then you can also just use the world R* created as your giant playground to do pretty much anything you want, its kept me amused ever since the original 2013 release and i keep on finding/seeing things i havent seen before every single time i play it.

I love the GTA series and it constantly amazes me how much the games have evolved since their inception.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@khoofia_pika: Your perfect game was The Last of Us, which IMO had too many boring moments to be perfect. Especially the start was slow as hell (after the prelude). One of the most overrated games out there.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#86 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

@Epak_ said:

@khoofia_pika: Your perfect game was The Last of Us, which IMO had too many boring moments to be perfect. Especially the start was slow as hell (after the prelude). One of the most overrated games out there.

To each his own, I guess. I, for one, liked the way the game started off slow. The pace didn't seem "boring" slow to me, it seemed "deliberate" slow, like it was taking its time to build its world and its characters, and I think it did that very well. It gradually gained momentum as you played on, it was a perfect slow burn.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87  Edited By 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Perfect game:

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#88 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

"The perfect 'subject'" Games are just like relationships with people. Some people will resonate with your personality and characters, but to some they won't resonate as much. Have you played a game and thought it was as if it was made for you? That's perfection, just like finding that one person that makes you feel you were both born for one another.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

Many of the best ones have already been chosen (LttP, Prime, Super Metroid, Galaxy 2, Super Mario World) my perfect game was only mentioned once.

And though it hasn't aged as well, and those damn boots are a pain in the ass, nothing can come close to the feeling of stepping out to Hyrule Field for the first time or facing Ganon after the epic battle at the top of the castle. The music, the gameplay, the story (just enough), the pacing.

My perfect game is Ocatina of Time.