The PC has won the system wars

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OMGTEHGRUKWTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OMGTEHGRUKWTF
Member since 2004 • 635 Posts

1. The PC is actually the cheapest option this time around. I don't know how many of you twelve year olds actually went out and bought your consoles yourself, but when you add in the obligatory cost of an HDTV, consoles cost more than a high-end gaming PC.  My 8800GTS/P5W DH Deluxe/2GBPC6400 RAM system cost about $1000 total (Newegg rocks). Your average console setup will cost you $1400-$1600 (Console + $1000 HDTV). Honestly, there is no excuse to purchase a console over a PC except perhaps ignorance.

2. All the multiplats that come out look and play better on the PC. There are a couple exceptions to this but that has more to do with lousy porting than anything else. Unreal Tournament 3? Best on the PC. Assassin's Creed? Bioshock? Alan Wake? Quake Wars? Best played on the PC. This is because games are always geared towards the highest end PCs. Also mods.

3. Console resolutions suck. 1280x720 is barely HD, and costs $1000 just to get there. We can get 1680x1050 for $200. Don't give me that 1080P argument either -- it's either upscaled (quality decrease) or the game is only rendering 2 or 3 things on the screen at the same time.

4. You CAN hook your PC up to an HDTV and it is very possible to play it in the living room on your couch if you wish.

5. Sony/Microsoft/Wii are ultimately greedy corporations at the end of the day, and will do whatever they can to milk you whether it be by charging you for online play, making your console obsolete every year, forcing you to pay for mods that are free on the PC or insulting your intelligence with games like "Cooking Mama".

Discuss.

apolloluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 apolloluke
Member since 2006 • 1273 Posts
everyone knows pc > console.
TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts
PC is superior... but it will never win System Wars, unfortunately.  Hermits have little or no clout around here.
Philosoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Philosoma
Member since 2006 • 842 Posts

What if you own a Mac?

Oh wait, hahaha! Man, somebody should update those silly Mac commercials - the ones with that loser kid on the right and the dorky PC guy on the left - because uh... well... they are a bit misleading ; ;

Yeah PC rules, but I enjoy playing Super Happy Smile Great Luck Robot War Driver Girls and that will never come out to PC until it's emulated in the year 2015.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

While some of what you say is true, its not as practical as the consoles, sure you can play in the living room, but a mouse / Keyboard on your couch/sofa? Gamepad? Well you still have to open up tha games with the mouse, a big tower in your living room with tons of wires coming off it isnt practical either, its quite important on its own.

You dont need a HDTV, you NEED to spend the full price of a PC though, while I would say its pretty cheap, (because its cheap AFTER the initial buy) for isntance with my part time job at the bar (student) working about 16-20 hours a week I can afford a new top-end part every 2 weeks, I dont tend to do that, only when its out-dated , but you get the point.

I'm a Hermit, so I'm not being biased, our system is great, Piracy flaws damage us a little bit.

PC is the ultimate Multimedia centre, for everything, I current have 2x 20' HD monitors (1680 x 1240 = 1080 DPI) , with a Digital Sattalite card in the tower, the second monitor plays all the channels ... there you go, full on TV!

Internet

Design Work (College)

Unbelievable sotrage

Best Onlone gaming

Biggest Gaming Library

Great sound

Communication with everybody (Mic Internet Phone)

Webcam

ect ect.

All that is rather pricy, problem is ignorance (not in an insulting way) I too have made mistakes by buying DELL PCs in the past, because the are overpriced, abit like GAME store ... but after the initial buy of a decent tower, and all the accessories you choose, it IS the ultimate entertainment centre, although I would say its living room friendly, but hopefully they will do that eventually, PS3 is trying to do this, but it cant compete.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 trylks
Member since 2005 • 1948 Posts
1 and 4 are contradictory.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

1 and 4 are contradictory. trylks

Not necessarily. 1 advocates value, 4 advocates flexibility. 

nevereathim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 nevereathim
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts
I'm gonna agree with you, but I should also tell you that the PC is also run by Microsoft (they do make the operating systems and most games are microsoft operating system compatibile) so anyways the thing is still run by a greedy corporation
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#9 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

What if you own a Mac?

Oh wait, hahaha! Man, somebody should update those silly Mac commercials - the ones with that loser kid on the right and the dorky PC guy on the left - because uh... well... they are a bit misleading ; ;

Yeah PC rules, but I enjoy playing Super Happy Smile Great Luck Robot War Driver Girls and that will never come out to PC until it's emulated in the year 2015.

Philosoma

:lol:

How little you know of the power of a Mac. Have you not been around lately? I doubt you could build me a computer that is more powerful than the high end Mac Pros.

I'm confident you're uneducated as to what the good guys have to offer you.

1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 1carus
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

I'm gonna agree with you, but I should also tell you that the PC is also run by Microsoft (they do make the operating systems and most games are microsoft operating system compatibile) so anyways the thing is still run by a greedy corporationnevereathim

But the difference is that Microsoft don't decide how much mods cost on PC. They don't get to make rules about what must be in the game (unless it's "Games for Windows"), and as far as I know, PC developers can put whatever they want in their games without Microsoft having any control over what happends with it.

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
PC owns..u forgot the fact console games are created on computers...i mean wtf???
Freebird8877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Freebird8877
Member since 2006 • 3407 Posts
No, I win the system wars, because I can buy a PC, PS3, Xbox 360 (not a wii) so there.
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts

Consoles have been beating PC's in gaming for so long now. PC isn't dying or anything but it is far from winning anything and that's not an opinion.

I mean PC is basically more or less about developers cause PC's are made by so many companies so the the sales of the PC's don't count just the software while the big three console makers have sales of their consoles and software which is why I consider PC and Consoles different 

joeblak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 joeblak
Member since 2005 • 5474 Posts

Consoles have been beating PC's in gaming for so long now. PC isn't dying or anything but it is far from winning anything and that's not an opinion.

I mean PC is basically more or less about developers cause PC's are made by so many companies so the the sales of the PC's don't count just the software while the big three console makers have sales of their consoles and software which is why I consider PC and Consoles different

kcpp2b

Do you mean software sales? The PC has the most AA and AAA exclusives every year. 

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kcpp2b
[QUOTE="kcpp2b"]

joeblak

Do you mean software sales? The PC has the most AA and AAA exclusives every year.

Yeah software sales 

evilbarbarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 evilbarbarian
Member since 2005 • 3883 Posts
It's hypocritical to add 1000$ dollars for the console prices for an HDTV, then use the fact that PC games can be played on an HDTV as one of your points. Guess that means you have to add 1000$ on top of the price of the PC aswell. Consoles are cheaper.
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
Console > PC, IMHO
dracolich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dracolich666
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts

Duh and R600 is almost here. :D

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kcpp2b

It's hypocritical to add 1000$ dollars for the console prices for an HDTV, then use the fact that PC games can be played on an HDTV as one of your points. Guess that means you have to add 1000$ on top of the price of the PC aswell. Consoles are cheaper.
evilbarbarian

I know that was funny especially when he says you can pay your PC on a HDTV but apparently to him it's only optional whereas with consoles you HAVE to play it on an HDTV. Fanboy you think?lol 

XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XenoNinja
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts
to be honest, I seriously think PC gaming fails at life....miserably. 
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kcpp2b

to be honest, I seriously think PC gaming fails at life....miserably. XenoNinja

Fails at life? Umm ok 

zaigham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zaigham
Member since 2003 • 711 Posts
No, I win the system wars, because I can buy a PC, PS3, Xbox 360 (not a wii) so there. Freebird8877
No i win because i can buy gamespot.com
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts
PC will win once Starcraft 2 is finally released. For now, it's just a sleeping giant who is playing WoW in his dreams.
zaigham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zaigham
Member since 2003 • 711 Posts

to be honest, I seriously think PC gaming fails at life....miserably. XenoNinja

I think you, dimar and nasos fail at thinking. 

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 trylks

PC will win once Starcraft 2 is finally released. For now, it's just a sleeping giant who is playing WoW in his dreams.Redmoonxl2

I'm afraid Starcraft 2 will be a big deception, or just plain cancelled, as Starcraft Ghost.

Nevertheless PCs have most of the XBox "exclusives", some PS3 "exclusives" and some games that are never released on consoles, as WoW or Crysis.

The problem is that if you want a cool, quiet not so expensive PC you have to build it yourself, and that requires more effort, and more space in your living room than a console.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 trylks

[QUOTE="trylks"]1 and 4 are contradictory. Danm_999

Not necessarily. 1 advocates value, 4 advocates flexibility.

I understand that, the problem is that the price of a TV isn't included in the price of a console, nor is the price of the PC screen, that's a different subject. And if you include it because you can use one then it should be included with the PC price because you can also use a PC with a HDTV.

Screamteam411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Screamteam411
Member since 2003 • 1087 Posts

Our intelligence is insulted by cooking mama just as often as your intelligence is insulted by new graphics cards coming out every few months and new RAM being needed all the time.  Honestly, I'm spending $250 for a Wii.  I don't know why you assume gamers NEED to play in HD.  Sure if you NEED to play HD games, then the PC COULD be cheaper, but there's no guarantee a decent PC now won't be obsolete in about 3 years.  There is a guarantee that consoles won't be.

Furthermore, do the games on consoles not provide enough of an argument for you?  Games like Gears of War, Super Smash Bros, Devil May Cry?  Maybe think about what games a gamer likes before assuming there are no good reasons to getting a console.  PC is the cheapest... ha... Have fun with your $1000+ PC while I'll be enjoying my innovative Wii and playing multiplayer in a way that PC gamers can't compete with (NOT having to buy 4 PC's to play with 4 players).

For $250. 

OMGTEHGRUKWTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 OMGTEHGRUKWTF

[QUOTE="evilbarbarian"]It's hypocritical to add 1000$ dollars for the console prices for an HDTV, then use the fact that PC games can be played on an HDTV as one of your points. Guess that means you have to add 1000$ on top of the price of the PC aswell. Consoles are cheaper.
kcpp2b

I know that was funny especially when he says you can pay your PC on a HDTV but apparently to him it's only optional whereas with consoles you HAVE to play it on an HDTV. Fanboy you think?lol

It's not hypocritical at all. You MUST have an HDTV if you want to get any value out of your "next gen" console. What's the point of paying $600 for a PS3 if you are just going to be running it at crappy SDTV resolutions that look like the original Xbox?

Now, a PC on the other hand only requires a $100-$200 monitor to run at resolutions that are higher than the native res that PS3 and Xbox360 use. The only reason I mentioned the HDTV as an option was because I knew that one of you knuckleheads would say something about how sitting on the couch while playing games is better or whatever.

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Redmoonxl2

[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]PC will win once Starcraft 2 is finally released. For now, it's just a sleeping giant who is playing WoW in his dreams.trylks

I'm afraid Starcraft 2 will be a big deception, or just plain cancelled, as Starcraft Ghost.

Starcraft 2 will happen. The franchise is too large for Blizzard to ignore it.  Also keep in mind that Starcraft 2 has never been announced so you can't really call it a big deception.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

I've always been a PC gamer and always will be. Just too many quality titles to play. I don't mind upgrading every 3 or so years for the best games and technology. :)

PC has always been the victor, people just like to be ignorant. :)

bluewrxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 bluewrxman
Member since 2004 • 1799 Posts

i dont agree with a lot of what you said, but i do know the pc is superior because you have to upgrade 

and in regards to including a hd tv in the price of a ps3, i think it is stupid because you cant compare a 17-20 inch monitor to a 42 inch lcd or plasma...

OMGTEHGRUKWTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OMGTEHGRUKWTF

Our intelligence is insulted by cooking mama just as often as your intelligence is insulted by new graphics cards coming out every few months and new RAM being needed all the time. Honestly, I'm spending $250 for a Wii. I don't know why you assume gamers NEED to play in HD. Sure if you NEED to play HD games, then the PC COULD be cheaper, but there's no guarantee a decent PC now won't be obsolete in about 3 years. There is a guarantee that consoles won't be.

Furthermore, do the games on consoles not provide enough of an argument for you? Games like Gears of War, Super Smash Bros, Devil May Cry? Maybe think about what games a gamer likes before assuming there are no good reasons to getting a console. PC is the cheapest... ha... Have fun with your $1000+ PC while I'll be enjoying my innovative Wii and playing multiplayer in a way that PC gamers can't compete with (NOT having to buy 4 PC's to play with 4 players).

For $250.

Screamteam411

If you buy a 360 or PS3 without an HDTV, you got ripped off friend. 

About the Wii. The Wii is a gimmick  and it's only selling because of its low price point, but whatever. You can have your NES ports, I will be playing Unreal Tournament 3, Crysis and Spore thanks. Have fun with your 4 player multiplayer, I will be playing 64+ player multi on the PC.

And no, Gears of War, Super Smash brothers and DMC don't really compare to PC exclusives like Crysis. And then there is the fact that I will be getting GOW by 2008 anyways with better graphics.

Private_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Private_Vegas
Member since 2007 • 2783 Posts
I didn't think PC was in the war. I thought it was off doing important things.
dimar19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dimar19
Member since 2006 • 4608 Posts

PC gaming finally collapsed around 2 years ago.

To this moment PC has mediocre graphics, no any good games except some strategies (most of them are stuppid RTS) and MO

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

PC gaming finally collapsed around 2 years ago.

To this moment PC has mediocre graphics, no any good games except some strategies (most of them are stuppid RTS) and MO

dimar19

Apparently PC developers didn't get the memo, since for the past two years they have been developing more AA and AAA exclusives and non-exclusives for the PC. Not only that, but PC has by far the best lineup of promising titles for 2007.

Not to mention PC is going to be destroying all console games visually in a couple months time. Keep telling yourself otherwise though, dimar. Your denial is the one thing that never changes about you.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
PCs always win, they're superior in almost every way.  That's why no one care about them in the System Wars.
Peter_Darkstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Peter_Darkstar
Member since 2003 • 1091 Posts

The real Mac Vs PC commercial :

http://mvpc.ytmnd.com/ 

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

The real Mac Vs PC commercial :

http://mvpc.ytmnd.com/

Peter_Darkstar

LOL, awesome. As is YTMND in general. 

dimar19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dimar19

Apparently PC developers didn't get the memo, since for the past two years they have been developing more AA and AAA exclusives and non-exclusives for the PC. Not only that, but PC has by far the best lineup of promising titles for 2007.

Velocitas8

Name me big PC games 2005-2006. I didn't finish even one. LOL

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
[QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

dimar19

exclusives or just all games? Doesn't matter either way the pc has had some great games last year. In genres I least expected it.  

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Redmoonxl2
[QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

dimar19

Battlefield 2? FEAR? Civ IV? Company of Heroes? Guild Wars? 

Avatar image for EmperorMetalman
EmperorMetalman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 EmperorMetalman
Member since 2006 • 1832 Posts

1. The PC is actually the cheapest option this time around. I don't know how many of you twelve year olds actually went out and bought your consoles yourself, but when you add in the obligatory cost of an HDTV, consoles cost more than a high-end gaming PC. My 8800GTS/P5W DH Deluxe/2GBPC6400 RAM system cost about $1000 total (Newegg rocks). Your average console setup will cost you $1400-$1600 (Console + $1000 HDTV). Honestly, there is no excuse to purchase a console over a PC except perhaps ignorance.

2. All the multiplats that come out look and play better on the PC. There are a couple exceptions to this but that has more to do with lousy porting than anything else. Unreal Tournament 3? Best on the PC. Assassin's Creed? Bioshock? Alan Wake? Quake Wars? Best played on the PC. This is because games are always geared towards the highest end PCs. Also mods.

3. Console resolutions suck. 1280x720 is barely HD, and costs $1000 just to get there. We can get 1680x1050 for $200. Don't give me that 1080P argument either -- it's either upscaled (quality decrease) or the game is only rendering 2 or 3 things on the screen at the same time.

4. You CAN hook your PC up to an HDTV and it is very possible to play it in the living room on your couch if you wish.

5. Sony/Microsoft/Wii are ultimately greedy corporations at the end of the day, and will do whatever they can to milk you whether it be by charging you for online play, making your console obsolete every year, forcing you to pay for mods that are free on the PC or insulting your intelligence with games like "Cooking Mama".    

Discuss.

OMGTEHGRUKWTF

It it weren't for Microsoft's monopoly on gaming OSes, I'd agree with you. 

Rubedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Rubedo
Member since 2003 • 420 Posts
One advantage the console has over PC now is online play. When you play online on a PC, every person playing has a different system, and thus it can sometimes mess up the experience if there's a low-end user in the room. Console, on the other hand, has everyone with the same equipment, and they're all specialized to run games only (Not as much slowdown from a Windows-like OS) and therefore is fit for having a much better online experience.
iMacBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 iMacBot
Member since 2007 • 947 Posts
Problem with PC's: you get a megapowerful PC and a few months later it's outdated and games keep getting higher performance requirements, then you can't get any more games 2 to 3 years later.
dimar19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dimar19
[QUOTE="dimar19"][QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

Redmoonxl2

I don't play any MO so forget about  Battlefield 2 and Guild Wars. I don't play stuppid RTS, especially from Relic.

FEAR is crap. CIV 4 is  good but 3 times is enough for me already, no big difference with Civ 3

baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 baddog121390
Member since 2005 • 4335 Posts
[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"][QUOTE="dimar19"][QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

dimar19

I don't play any MO so forget about Battlefield 2 and Guild Wars. I don't play stuppid RTS, especially from Relic.

FEAR is crap. CIV 4 is good but 3 times is enough for me already, no big difference with Civ 3

BF2 is an MMO? Stuppid RTS from Relic?! FEAR is crap??!?!!?!?! Are you even human?
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

CIV 4 is good but 3 times is enough for me already, no big difference with Civ 3

dimar19
What?! Then you've obviously played neither.
gamer0100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gamer0100
Member since 2006 • 2249 Posts

This guy is high.

dimar19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dimar19

Stuppid RTS from Relic?! baddog121390

LOL. Have you ever heard about UFO, Warhammer Dark Omen, Jagged Aliance, Myth, Close Combat, Commandos, Total War ?

baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 baddog121390
Member since 2005 • 4335 Posts

[QUOTE="baddog121390"]Stuppid RTS from Relic?! dimar19

LOL. Have you ever heard about UFO, Warhammer Dark Omen, Jagged Aliance, Myth, Close Combat, Commandos, Total War ?

I have all those games. Company of Heroes to this day is much more fun and refreshing. Just overall better. Heck it beat Oblivion for PC GOTY.