The Official Wii U Thread: Nintendo Direct Incoming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts
[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

Had a ps3 back in 09, and 360 back in 07, but i sold them both because i hardly used them

Samus3D

Silly!

I don't have either too... I'm a Nintendo only gamer pretty much

Dedication!
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#352 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

Rich is generally a very good reviewer.. Other than his Skyward Sword review which I just thought was completely ridiculous. While I think he is a better reviewer than most at Ign, he can overlook too many mistakes sometimes. Or at least, he notices them but for some odd reason it doesn't reflect it in the score

Listening to his video review sounded more like an 8 than a 9.1. And so did Skyward Sword the first podcast after it released I mean it was hilarious all of the problems he brought up which was nowhere to be found in the review which didn't make any sense to me.

But then again, everyone is entitled to a mistake we are all just people, but Im gonna hold my breathe before getting to hyped about this one. Because he is generally a pretty good reviewer. but oh well.

Shinobishyguy

well maybe it was because I was young when I was playing them, but they seemed pretty tough. SMB3 had a huge spike in difficulty as soon as you reached world 7

I played SMB 3 like 2 years back and I found it pretty hard around that giant land area and above. I guess I'm not that great at 2D older platformers.

I don't see why ppl are annoyed about there difficulty especially when games have only gotten easier over the years. Both SMG games were cakewalks to me (that even includes Grandmaster and such imo) but they were still just freaking great.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#353 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

Had a ps3 back in 09, and 360 back in 07, but i sold them both because i hardly used them

Samus3D

Silly!

I don't have either too... I'm a Nintendo only gamer pretty much

That was me basically around N64 and half way into GC era haha.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]IGN on NSMBU: "Youll never run out of lives." SMH....remember when these games used to be challenging?VendettaRed07

lives =/= level of challenge.

Going by that logic SMB3 and mario world were cake walks

But they kind of were lol. Two of my favorite games but I really didn't find them hard at any point. Maybe its just me

But Ill tell you it was SMG that was a realcake walk.....

mario-cake.jpg

:P

Freaking loved that stage haha. As soon as I entered it, I thought "this is gonna be awesome" :D.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#355 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Gamestop: Wii U Software preorders double that of Wii's launch.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#356 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

IGN on NSMBU: "Youll never run out of lives." SMH....remember when these games used to be challenging?Bread_or_Decide
i agree with your sentiment but running out of lives is noteven about challenge. Its mostly just an annoyance. An obsolete relic of the arcade era

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357 GunSmith1_basic

i have one problem with buying this thing at launch. The gamepad isnt good enough. Im not execting ability upgrades. I just think that in time they will expand the range of the controller so I can use it anywhere in the house, and of course have better battery life. I dont see any games good enough for me to get on board early

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]2 flops so farpsymon100

mentally_handicapped_arguing_on_the_inte

mentally_handicapped_arguing_on_the_inte

2s7HO.gif

:lol:
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

What.

What in the actual hell just happened.

Masterx1220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 Masterx1220
Member since 2005 • 2426 Posts

those reviews at ign has gotten me so hype

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#361 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

What.

What in the actual hell just happened.

789shadow
This thread just got majormayored.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#362 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
"New Super Mario Bros. U" AAAE I want it! :cry:
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

So the basic Wii U has 3gigs of memory and the premium one has 25.. just wow lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

So the basic Wii U has 3gigs of memory and the premium one has 25.. just wow lol

GD1551
Some people choose to cling to the negatives even when it is apparent that the console is awesome.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Just got $300 of overtime in my check...so tempting...
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

charizard1605

Some people choose to cling to the negatives even when it is apparent that the console is awesome.

lol dude, for a 300 dollar console with absolete hardware in 2012 that's completely unacceptable. You know that, the mere fact it has no native USB 3.0 support, no hot swapping support for USB drives and you can't store save data on SD cards is just embarrassing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

lol dude, for a 300 dollar console with absolete hardware in 2012 that's completely unacceptable. You know that, the mere fact it has no native USB 3.0 support, no hot swapping support for USB drives and you can't store save data on SD cards is just embarrassing.

USB 3.0 isn't even standard yet, why would you expect that on the Wii U? Wii U doesn't allow for hot swapping for the same reason that no console allows you to eject memory storage units while the power is on: it can lead to data corruption. SD card saving is disabled because of potential exploits that could be discovered and open the console to piracy. Seriously. I never saw you laughing at any of the other consoles or handhelds even though they have similar limitations,
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
"drives that require more than USB 2.0 connections might not work properly with Wii U" "Only one external drive can be plugged in, at least at launch, though Nintendo says it is working on an update to change that. SD cards, meanwhile, can be used to store PC, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but not Wii U game save data. USB drives will not be hot-swappable, either." "External hard drives that power from USB will require a Y-cable, not included. "

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]"drives that require more than USB 2.0 connections might not work properly with Wii U" "Only one external drive can be plugged in, at least at launch, though Nintendo says it is working on an update to change that. SD cards, meanwhile, can be used to store PC, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but not Wii U game save data. USB drives will not be hot-swappable, either." "External hard drives that power from USB will require a Y-cable, not included. "

Wait, I don't understand that last point :? Most USB drives today derive power from the USB slot.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 GD1551

USB 3.0 isn't even standard yet, why would you expect that on the Wii U? Wii U doesn't allow for hot swapping for the same reason that no console allows you to eject memory storage units while the power is on: it can lead to data corruption. SD card saving is disabled because of potential exploits that could be discovered and open the console to piracy. Seriously. I never saw you laughing at any of the other consoles or handhelds even though they have similar limitations,charizard1605

Dude those consoles came out in 2006 lol. Also USB 3.0 is pretty standard, I mean how many mobos these days don't ship with at least two ports? Dude and hot swapping with USB devices won't lead to data corruption unless you do something silly like hotswap while it's being used, I can hotswap usb drives on the PS3. You have a point with the SD card thing, but seriously that doesn't change the fact that it's 3gigs of memory in a 300 dollar console in 2012!!!

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 MFDOOM1983
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]"drives that require more than USB 2.0 connections might not work properly with Wii U" "Only one external drive can be plugged in, at least at launch, though Nintendo says it is working on an update to change that. SD cards, meanwhile, can be used to store PC, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but not Wii U game save data. USB drives will not be hot-swappable, either." "External hard drives that power from USB will require a Y-cable, not included. "

Wait, I don't understand that last point :? Most USB drives today derive power from the USB slot.

You'll need to buy an additional cable for those budget drives that rely on power from the USB port.
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 GunSmith1_basic

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

i'm sorry but in terms of hardware $300 is a drop in the bucket. If the hardware approached PC specs the console would be twice as expensive (if not more). Remember that you're getting a very expensive tablet controller with it as well. If that's not your thing well that's your opinion. A lot of people see value in it. As for the hard drive, if you noticed things like the data retrieval speed you would see that most wiiu games will not even require an install. Even so, the memory is easily expandable and that stuff only gets cheaper over time.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
just watched wiiu land review and why i'm not surprised it was reviewed by a chick? its for same audience as Just Dance
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 GD1551

i'm sorry but in terms of hardware $300 is a drop in the bucket. If the hardware approached PC specs the console would be twice as expensive (if not more). Remember that you're getting a very expensive tablet controller with it as well. If that's not your thing well that's your opinion. A lot of people see value in it. As for the hard drive, if you noticed things like the data retrieval speed you would see that most wiiu games will not even require an install. Even so, the memory is easily expandable and that stuff only gets cheaper over time.

GunSmith1_basic

What does that even mean??

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375 MFDOOM1983

I can just imagine charizard saying HD isn't standard prior to wii's release.:P Budget laptops have been equipped with at least one usb 3.0 port for almost a year now. No excuse for a console that's supposed to last 5+ years not to have one in 2012.

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376 GunSmith1_basic

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]

GD1551

umm, what do you mean by asking what it means? You said that the console was bad value. I don't see bad value here. I think that was pretty clear by what I wrote there. You also said that it was embarrassing for it not to have USB 3.0. This is not a PC dude. The USB port is hardly a big concern here

I'm genuinely curious. What are the negative consequences of having a cheap USB port on a dedicated gaming machine that runs on discs?

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 MFDOOM1983
[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GunSmith1_basic

umm, what do you mean by asking what it means? You said that the console was bad value. I don't see bad value here. I think that was pretty clear by what I wrote there. You also said that it was embarrassing for it not to have USB 3.0. This is not a PC dude. The USB port is hardly a big concern here

Um, usb is the only viable way to expand your memory on wii-u.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GunSmith1_basic

Dude, why are you comparing a console to PC hardware? Also man 3gigs of space? You can't even DL nintendoland with that, why do you guys think that's acceptable? Then on top of it your storage options are limited because nintendo won't use the new interface.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#379 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Why am I not surprised that G4TV has the lowest SMBU review so far?

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 MFDOOM1983
"i'm genuinely curious. What are the negative consequences of having a cheap USB port on a dedicated gaming machine that runs on discs?" I guess you missed out on the DD game boom we had this gen, being a sheep and all.
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381 GunSmith1_basic

Dude, why are you comparing a console to PC hardware? Also man 3gigs of space? You can't even DL nintendoland with that, why do you guys think that's acceptable? Then on top of it your storage options are limited because nintendo won't use the new interface.

GD1551
I'm sure 3 gigs is unacceptable, but I know that expanding the memory should be a simple thing. In the short term, not everything has switched to USB 3.0 yet (not 100% on this). As for the future, even if the wiiu becomes incompatible with future memory expansion there will always be custom memory expansion offered for the wiiu by third parties or even Nintendo itself. If we're talking about the SD card expansion, there are high performance 128 GB SD cards out there. Maybe this is too expensive today but that will be cheap before we know it. Bottom line is that value isn't bad here. It's also good to note that Nintendo is taking a loss on every wiiu sold
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382 GunSmith1_basic
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]"i'm genuinely curious. What are the negative consequences of having a cheap USB port on a dedicated gaming machine that runs on discs?" I guess you missed out on the DD game boom we had this gen, being a sheep and all.

I'm mainly a ps3 gamer, but I bought quite a few steam games on my PC (although it's hardly a gaming PC)
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts

Bigboi500
I'm not surprised, I still think they have the most anti-Nintendo employees, even then a 7.0 is still decent.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384 MFDOOM1983
[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]"i'm genuinely curious. What are the negative consequences of having a cheap USB port on a dedicated gaming machine that runs on discs?" I guess you missed out on the DD game boom we had this gen, being a sheep and all.

I'm mainly a ps3 gamer, but I bought quite a few steam games on my PC (although it's hardly a gaming PC)

Then you purposely asked a dumb question?
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#385 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GunSmith1_basic

I'm sure 3 gigs is unacceptable, but I know that expanding the memory should be a simple thing. In the short term, not everything has switched to USB 3.0 yet (not 100% on this). As for the future, even if the wiiu becomes incompatible with future memory expansion there will always be custom memory expansion offered for the wiiu by third parties or even Nintendo itself. If we're talking about the SD card expansion, there are high performance 128 GB SD cards out there. Maybe this is too expensive today but that will be cheap before we know it. Bottom line is that value isn't bad here. It's also good to note that Nintendo is taking a loss on every wiiu sold

Not to mention that systems get larger HDDs down the road, the PS3 went from 20 and 60 GB @ launch and now have up to 500GB standard. Haters are just being disingenuous as usual, and trying to hold Nintendo to a different set of standards.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#386 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Bigboi500
They gave frigging NSMB2 a higher score :? I'm guessing this game didn't have enough shiny coins to keep them interested.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"][QUOTE="GD1551"]

Bigboi500

Not to mention that systems get larger HDDs down the road, the PS3 went from 20 and 60 GB @ launch and now have up to 500GB standard. Haters are just being disingenuous as usual, and trying to hold Nintendo to a different set of standards.

Because people don't expect harddrive space to increase after 7 years.... Wii-u should be launching with at least 120GBs. 2001 OG xbox 4GB-8GB 2005 20GB 2006 20GB-60GB.........2012 8GB-32GB WTF
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388 GunSmith1_basic

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]"i'm genuinely curious. What are the negative consequences of having a cheap USB port on a dedicated gaming machine that runs on discs?" I guess you missed out on the DD game boom we had this gen, being a sheep and all.MFDOOM1983

hey, I'm approaching this like a realist. They could have put everything and the kitchen sink in this machine but they would have to charge 599 US dollars. They put in this really expensive controller so the costs had to come out somewhere and they wanted to price themselves into the mainstream which is smart. This will make sure that there will be more third party software support because of a bigger userbase. Having expandable memory is very smart for many reasons. Maybe there are gamers out there who don't download a whole lot. Maybe there are gamers out there who have extra memory laying around they can use (true in my case). How about instead of going through the trouble of an expensive SKU, just have expandable memory??? It seems very smart to me anyway.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389 MFDOOM1983
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"] I'm mainly a ps3 gamer, but I bought quite a few steam games on my PC (although it's hardly a gaming PC)GunSmith1_basic

hey, I'm approaching this like a realist. They could have put everything and the kitchen sink in this machine but they would have to charge 599 US dollars. They put in this really expensive controller so the costs had to come out somewhere and they wanted to price themselves into the mainstream which is smart and will make sure that there will be more third party software support. Having expandable memory is very smart for many reasons. Maybe there are gamers out there who don't download a whole lot. Maybe there are gamers out there who have extra memory laying around they can use (true in my case). How about instead of going through the trouble of an expensive SKU, just have expandable memory??? It seems very smart to me anyway.

Lol We're talking about a single USB 3.0 port. Not a gtx 670 or a ivy bridge I7. Just a single usb 3.0 port that has been included with $300 laptops for the past 12+ months. Having expandable memory is great when its not bottlenecked by dated tech. I've tried running pc games from 2004-2005(far cry and doom 3) on a WD external drive a few years and ran into problems loading levels. Most of these 2.0 drives have laptop 5600RPM drives in them that are further slowed down by power savings settings. Maybe wii-u games will be different but from my experiences usb 2.o external drives aren't designed to stream the amount of data needed for two gen old games. let alone next gen titles.
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390 AznbkdX

Eh don't see the issue with the USB. Most ppl I know go and buy games from the store for novelties sake on consoles.

Steam on the other hand is just an awesome service with everything streamlined plus has imo the best community options and dealings in it as well. Its easy to dl from there also because prices are so cheap.

Consoles don't normally have those impulse grabbing 75 percent off luxuries nor anything even remotely close to as good as steam, so most would probably just buy from the store.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

IGN on NSMBU: "Youll never run out of lives." SMH....remember when these games used to be challenging?Bread_or_Decide

Not really. I never had an issue with lives in Mario games. Even back in the NES days.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
You'll need to buy an additional cable for those budget drives that rely on power from the USB port. MFDOOM1983
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard :| What the hell Nintendo?

I can just imagine charizard saying HD isn't standard prior to wii's release.:P Budget laptops have been equipped with at least one usb 3.0 port for almost a year now. No excuse for a console that's supposed to last 5+ years not to have one in 2012.

MFDOOM1983
I didn't really, but I was hoping the lack of HD wouldn't detract from the Wii's game library, which would hopefully go on to be massive and full of great games. Yeah, that didn't happen :P
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393 Zophar87

The fact that you all are arguing about something a small as USB 3.0 ports (in a damn console no less) completely blows my mind. Oh wait, this is SW.. nevermind. :roll:

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394 MFDOOM1983

Just another thing consumers have to buy.  Maybe, I misinterpreted the quote but this sounds pretty silly.:P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Just another thing consumers have to buy.  Maybe, I misinterpreted the quote but this sounds pretty silly.:P

MFDOOM1983
Okay this looks stupid...
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396 GunSmith1_basic

so sorry if this is old but it pertains to what I was just talking to and I'm not sifting through a massive thread:

Wii U External Memory Features

yeah, there's no real defending it. It's a pain. It's not a massive issue though. It sounds like the way to go is to find a USB external hard drive that either will work with the limited power going to the USB or one you can plug in. So it is more effort than it ought to be but still not horrible.

edit: good photo of that y-cable MFDOOM. They say that not all external hard drives will need it though

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397 MFDOOM1983

The fact that you all are arguing about something a small as USB 3.0 ports (in a damn console no less) completely blows my mind. Oh wait, this is SW.. nevermind. :roll:

Zophar87
The concern is that usb 2.0 external harddrives aren't capable of streaming the large amounts of data needed for modern games. From my experience they aren't even capable for streaming the amount of data needed to properly run 8 year games. I recall farcry taking upwards of 20 minute to load and when I finally started playing the geometry failed to load properly. This is why I would have preferred a e-sata or at the very least, usb 3.0.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398 Zophar87

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

MFDOOM1983

The concern is that usb 2.0 external harddrives aren't capable of streaming the large amounts of data needed for modern games. From my experience they aren't even capable for streaming the amount of data needed to properly run 8 year games. I recall farcry taking upwards of 20 minute to load and when I finally started playing the geometry failed to load properly. This is why I would have preferred a e-sata or at the very least, usb 3.0.

Except this is a console. Not a PC.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="Zophar87"]

Zophar87

Except this is a console. Not a PC.

Because console games installed on a harddrive won't be streaming data in? Yeah, you keep running with that idea... Wii-u will be offering retail game for DD and will have games only available for DD. The data speeds from your harddrive will play a big role in general performance like load times.

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400 GunSmith1_basic

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

MFDOOM1983

that's a great point but isn't it possible that the wiiu's system will not run exactly like a PC? They obviously have tested this whole system out with downloadable titles and could of optimized this whole system to work better in this narrow context-- or am I off base there?