The next gen consoles need to adapt

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

It has come to my attention that the next gen consoles trying to do things that they can't.

The xboxone simply doesn't have the graphical capabilities to do 1080p, even with the esram and numerous optimizations. The gameplay is simply sickening. While the ps4 could still pull of last gen ports at 1080p, the cpu in the ps4 can't handle next gen games and need to free up gpu power to do cpu tasks. Playing on the ps4 is simply nauseating with the latest games.

This is for the following reason, 30 fps for all that shader goodness is simply not enough. You need more than that, it was enough for last gen games but now there is simply too much detail to have a fluent experience. Not to mention it drops beneath 30 fps. The xboxone is getting a bit better because they leave that 1080p mark behind again, games like call of duty aw and far cry 4 run way smoother than gta V and destiny for instance. The ps4 hasn't gotten there yet since it doesn't matter if the ps4 runs it at 1080p or 900p, the cpu still struggles. Sony needs to come up with better gpgpu tools or the devs need to get creative. They need to make the game run at lower resolution and let the gpu do more cpu tasks.

It's just not fun anymore to play on a console. I like the pc as well but as of late it seems to be a necessity to play on the pc, while lately i only used the pc for exclusives or for games that had major differences in quality, like last gen games for instance. But now I need to play on the pc simply because I have too, to me the latest games on the consoles are not playable. If I had these kind of frames on my pc, the first thing I would do is either lower the resolution and/or lower the detail settings.

Sadly on a console you can't and the devs put you through nauseating roller coaster rides. Sorry but If I really wanted that, I go the amusement park. I could understand this if it was the end of a gen, but this gen has hardly even started even while the console are released more than a year ago.

If only nintendo could release a viable console, the ps4 and x1 are not really good consoles What's even worse is that they sell like hotcakes. Has the consumer really become that easy?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

So this all just about graphics ?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i'm not a fan of 30 fps either. or 60. i like 100+, preferably 144. inb4 30 fps elitists .

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

The gameplay on Xbox One is sickening? You probably want to say graphics, and you clearly haven't seen Ryse on Xbox One then

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I'm pretty sure it isn't the consoles fault, it's the developers, it's all well and good moaning about how under powered these systems are, but it's down to the developers to optimize there games better.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

All games could have 60fps on all consoles...if developers wanted it

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

In previous generations, console manufacturers took a loss on each console until they were able to manufacter them for better ROI, and recovered the money via software sales.

This generation, MS and Sony, having lost billions in previous xbox and playstation endevours, are no longer interested in manufacturing top of the line hardware so they can lose money in the vain hope that they might just make enough via software.

The PS4 and XB1 were made with the intention to be as powerfull has possible, while both being profitable and easy for developers to code for, sinc ethey will contain more familiar architecture.

If the consoles were to be made in a way so that they could match high end gpu and cpu components, they'd be close to 1000 US dollars and would never sell.

@bezza2011 said:

I'm pretty sure it isn't the consoles fault, it's the developers, it's all well and good moaning about how under powered these systems are, but it's down to the developers to optimize there games better.

No, the hardware must be powerfull enough to realize the vision of the developer.

Buggy, broke releases are problem of the studio. But to say that it's lazyness that they can't keep high fidelity graphics at high resolutions while having to maintain a steady frame rate on such weak has **** chips is stupid.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@commander:

Wii was selling well against Xbox 360 and PS3.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44222 Posts

"the ps4 and x1 are not really good consoles What's even worse is that they sell like hotcakes. Has the consumer really become that easy?"

Considering the new consoles aren't much more expensive than what last gen consoles are still selling at right now and seeing as many bought those old consoles waaaaay back in 2005/2006, It's understandable many gamers couldn't Wait to Jump Ahead and then there's all those who couldn't Wait to ummm, Await Greatness. :P

Anyhoo,as some have said fps it's up to the devs.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45379 Posts

maybe you need to get out a little more. you seem to have thought about this a bit much.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

In previous generations, console manufacturers took a loss on each console until they were able to manufacter them for better ROI, and recovered the money via software sales.

This generation, MS and Sony, having lost billions in previous xbox and playstation endevours, are no longer interested in manufacturing top of the line hardware so they can lose money in the vain hope that they might just make enough via software.

The PS4 and XB1 were made with the intention to be as powerfull has possible, while both being profitable and easy for developers to code for, sinc ethey will contain more familiar architecture.

If the consoles were to be made in a way so that they could match high end gpu and cpu components, they'd be close to 1000 US dollars and would never sell.

@bezza2011 said:

No, the hardware must be powerful enough to realize the vision of the developer.

Buggy, broke releases are problem of the studio. But to say that it's lazyness that they can't keep high fidelity graphics at high resolutions while having to maintain a steady frame rate on such weak has **** chips is stupid.

No the developers need to work with what they have and make the best out of it, this is what they have to work with, they need to deal with it, it should never be a point that the consoles should be better so the developers can have the freedom thats what a PC is for, it comes down to developers not optimizing it and being lazy knowing they can just patch it in later, if it doesn't run smoothly then developers need to decrease the resolution, it's up to the developer to work that out, it isn't the consoles problem, yes we all can say it should of been better, but that's not the case, the console is what it is, there is no changing it, so the developers need to work with what they have.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#12 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Devs are making the graphical / framerate choices. The new consoles could easily do 1080p and 60fps but developers want a better visual quality.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

What I don't understand is that both Microsoft and Sony had talks with all these big 3rd parties in regards to console spec and whatnot.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

both consoles are a joke period.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

@ShepardCommandr:

And Nintendo rains supreme

#deadserious

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#16 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Just upgrade your PC and deal with it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

Another so called gamer that doesn't understand it's the gameplay that matters....not the graphics. This gen graphics have improved.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

I'm loving the PS4 and X1, would buy again.

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

bu bu cinematic feels???

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9416 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Another so called gamer that doesn't understand it's the gameplay that matters....not the graphics. This gen graphics have improved.

I don't think he's referring to the graphics, but rather the performance. I tend to agree that a steady 60fps is the bare minimum for smooth gameplay.

I prefer not to chose between graphics and performance, but if I have to I always adjust the graphics options so I can play at 60fps. I have no experience with next-gen consoles, but this issue is universal. Consoles should have graphics settings; or at least a way to change between good performance and good graphics because it seems like we can't have it all.

If a game has good gameplay but chugs along the whole time it's still not fun.

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

For graphics plus performance, MS and Sony needs to use good quality hardware. Can't do that with a price tag of 400.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

There was an astute comment above, about console releases prior to this gen being high end pcs. I've made this point for 2 years now since specs were released. It's shameful that new consoles have such crap hardware right out the gate.

Low clocked weak sauce cpus? Check. Low end pc gpus? Check. Lack of functionality (media streaming on ps3 and 360 were great...I still use my 360 to watch shows)? Check.

I really don't care all that much...it's not a huge deal, but it is very unfortunate. There has never been so little a technological leap. 10 years of console generation, the longest generation in the brief history of video games, and these weak machines are the next solution? 360 and ps3 couldn't render 1080p/60fps and still have good visuals. Now the trend has continued.

With techs like gsync and freesync, 1440 and 4k, triple monitor setups, and more, pcs are crushing what consoles can do to a huge, huge level.

Want to game on a 120" screen with a wireless controller? PC.

I think people don't understand that consoles ARE pcs. They are just week, closed system pcs. I used to have my desk in my living room. I had a mirrored image to both my monitor AND tv. I'd just switch the sound to hdmi when I wanted to play from my couch. This is frustrating to me because people don't seem to understand pc does what you want, and they think consoles are the only solution to video games in the living room. It's absurd.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@commander: Blog it when you have an opinion. Not fun to play on a game console?

https://insidethelifeofmoi.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/gif-4.gif

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 commander

Far from an opin

@pyro1245 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

I don't think he's referring to the graphics, but rather the performance. I tend to agree that a steady 60fps is the bare minimum for smooth gameplay.

I prefer not to chose between graphics and performance, but if I have to I always adjust the graphics options so I can play at 60fps. I have no experience with next-gen consoles, but this issue is universal. Consoles should have graphics settings; or at least a way to change between good performance and good graphics because it seems like we can't have it all.

If a game has good gameplay but chugs along the whole time it's still not fun.

Indeed, I don't understand why some here seem to think I'm talking about graphics. If it was all about graphics I wouldn't even consider playing on a console. The fact is that the lower framerate affects the gameplay and I may be overly sensitive to this, but sub 30 fps gameplay with lots of shaders is one step away from barfing to me and I'm sure I'm not the only one

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

Great, after reading this I need to get checked for eye cancer. AGAIN! Thanks a lot, TC. You could have prevented this by keeping your "opin" in your blog.

PS: I'll be sending you my ophthalmologist bill. Ready your wallet.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Unfortunately real gamers are in the minority, so you'll have to deal with 15-25fps in your console games.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

So this all just about graphics ?

despite how much console fanboys say it isn't, it really is, otherwise why do we need new consoles

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@commander said:

If only nintendo could release a viable console, the ps4 and x1 are not really good consoles What's even worse is that they sell like hotcakes. Has the consumer really become that easy?

28.5 million PS4 and XB1 owners disagree with you.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Graphics and memory wise both consoles are capable enough but the CPU's are terrible and that will be the bottleneck this gen, like memory was last gen but much worse.

Although, CPU evolution on the desktop has slowed down a lot in the last few years because everything's going towards making mobile more powerful and efficient and less attention is on desktop chips. Still an I7 is almost a generation ahead of what's in the consoles.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lulu_Lulu

@wis3boi:

A part if me just died inside :(

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

This gen is not about next gen but rereleasing old shit in a resolution clear enough to see wtf is up on your screen.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

adapt or die consoles

i think you should accept 1080p 24-30 FPS

Sony lied they said everything would be about 1080p and 60 FPS

the lies end irght now only pc can pull that off on these Triple AAA franchises

sony your not doing it nots the devs fault PC there running higher 60 FPS its ur tech ur garbage tech stop the lies u lied to public u didnt have gamers in mind u had dollar signs in mind and trying to make tons of money per console since the tech in it was super old

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i miss post 33.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22407 Posts

@FastRobby said:

The gameplay on Xbox One is sickening? You probably want to say graphics, and you clearly haven't seen Ryse on Xbox One then

Lol yeah... dumb thread.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 commander

@emgesp said:

@commander said:

Not really, I have loads of friends on both systems and a lot of them say 'there's nothing better to do' and that is because they simply don't know any better.

If a caveman eats cooked food he will know that the cooked food is better than eating it raw, but if he doesn't know how to cook and never ate any cooked food, what do you think

he's going to stop eating? lmao

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

If people were'nt bothered about price then maybe both consoles could have had something beefier under the hood either way I do'nt give a shit enjoying my ps4.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 emgesp

@darklight4 said:

If people were'nt bothered about price then maybe both consoles could have had something beefier under the hood either way I do'nt give a shit enjoying my ps4.

A $500+ price tag isn't mainstream pricing. Only the most hardcore gamers would pay that much for a console. Not really practical in this day and age.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 emgesp

@commander said:

@emgesp said:

@commander said:

Not really, I have loads of friends on both systems and a lot of them say 'there's nothing better to do' and that is because they simply don't know any better.

If a caveman eats cooked food he will know that the cooked food is better than eating it raw, but if he doesn't know how to cook and never ate any cooked food, what do you think

he's going to stop eating? lmao

There is still way more games to play on the PS4 or XB1 than the Wii U.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

@emgesp said:

@darklight4 said:

A $500+ price tag isn't mainstream pricing. Only the most hardcore gamers would pay that much for a console. Not really practical in this day and age.

Exactly my point if you're paying less don't expect high end specs in a consoles. Pc's that cost 1000's you expect that kind of hardware.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

While reading OP I kept thinking about that Simple Jack trailer from Tropic Thunder.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 commander

@mr-powers said:

While reading OP I kept thinking about that Simple Jack trailer from Tropic Thunder.

and you make me think of neckbeards

carry on...

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 commander

@darklight4 said:

@emgesp said:

@darklight4 said:

Exactly my point if you're paying less don't expect high end specs in a consoles. Pc's that cost 1000's you expect that kind of hardware.

Even for 400$ the ps4 is a crap system. The whole idea of a console is that you get more than a pc for your money with high accesibility.

The ps4 isn't even packing 400$ in hardware.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

One thing consoles can't do is adapt

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By emgesp

@commander said:

@darklight4 said:

@emgesp said:

@darklight4 said:

Even for 400$ the ps4 is a crap system. The whole idea of a console is that you get more than a pc for your money with high accesibility.

Ummm, actually it is. Manufacturing costs for the PS4 was around $370 at launch. The costs might have gone down some since, but it was very close to the $400 price.

You couldn't build a PC as powerful as a PS4 for $399.99 in 2013.

Sony and Microsoft were smart not to sell the hardware at a loss this generation. Just not very practical. It just means we won't have to wait another 8 yrs for new hardware. Sony and Microsoft will probably go back to a 5 year lifecycle.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 commander

@emgesp said:

@commander said:

@darklight4 said:

@emgesp said:

@darklight4 said:

Ummm, actually it is. Manufacturing costs for the PS4 was around $370 at launch. The costs might have gone down some since, but it was very close to the $400 price.

You couldn't build a PC as powerful as a PS4 for $399.99 in 2013.

Sony and Microsoft were smart not to sell the hardware at a loss this generation. Just not very practical. It just means we won't have to wait another 8 yrs for new hardware. Sony and Microsoft will probably go back to a 5 year lifecycle.

Well it was a smart decision for them, they conquered the market and obliterated the competition and that's why they could pull off this scam. It's a damn shame nintendo released that wii u, if they waited and released a strong console they could have scored an open goal.

However, they're working on a new console right now. If they would be fast they could still simply obliterate sony and microsoft. The only problem would be servers i think.

And you can be sure the costs have come down to build a ps4, but even then the ps4 is an unbalanced console, they didn't need that gddr5 as system ram, but they did need a faster cpu, the gpu could have been a bit slower even. It would have been a great system at 900p and at a lower cost. Now it's a crap system at 1080p and 900p and it still costs more to make than it should.