The Last of Us Nominated for Writer's Guild Award

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for xboxdone74
#1 Edited by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

...along with

  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  • Batman: Arkham Origins
  • God of War: Ascension
  • The Last of Us
  • Lost Planet 3

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassin-s-creed-iv-the-last-of-us-nominated-for-2014-writers-guild-awards/1100-6417064/

Hmm....I'm not so sure about some of these nominations. I'll even call out Ascension. The multiplayer is quite epic, but the campaign...eh....wasn't up to GoW standards.

Avatar image for Joedgabe
#2 Posted by Joedgabe (5134 posts) -

I can't take this serious if i see GOW there. What's the genious in that dialogue ? Kratos: ZEUS!!! 1m g01ng t0 k1ll y0u f0r3v4!!!!!!!

Avatar image for PannicAtack
#3 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

The WGA has always been weird with games.

Seriously, didn't one of those friggin' Batman games win something a few years ago?

Avatar image for speak_low
#4 Edited by Speak_Low (2248 posts) -

WGA is a respected group, so I don't know why they pick such odd nominations, with nearly all of them being mainstream and big budgeted titles.

Here are the noms from 2011 and 2012 for example:

2011 Nominees

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Fallout: New Vegas

God of War III

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Singularity

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

2012 Nominees

Assassin’s Creed: Revelations

Batman: Arkham City

Brink

Mortal Kombat

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Avatar image for Jag85
#5 Edited by Jag85 (12030 posts) -

@speak_low said:

WGA is a respected group, so I don't know why they pick such odd nominations, with nearly all of them being mainstream and big budgeted titles.

Here are the noms from 2011 and 2012 for example:

2011 Nominees

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Fallout: New Vegas

God of War III

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Singularity

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

2012 Nominees

Assassin’s Creed: Revelations

Batman: Arkham City

Brink

Mortal Kombat

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

I'm surprised those games were picked in 2011/2012 over better-written narratives like The Walking Dead, Zero Escape, Catherine, or To the Moon... But yeah, I suppose they were only focusing on mainstream big-budget titles, which often aren't as good as lower-budget titles in the writing/storytelling department.

Avatar image for speak_low
#6 Edited by Speak_Low (2248 posts) -
@Jag85 said:

I'm surprised those games were picked in 2011/2012 over better-written narratives like The Walking Dead, Zero Escape, Catherine, or To the Moon.

I saw in the Comments section in the link someone say these nominations are all from writers who are active members of WGA.

So it's very likely they work in Film/Television as well, where WGA membership is a requirement (but not required if writing solely in the video game industry).

If that's the case, it might explain what you mentioned - so many missing great titles from smaller, more deserving games are nowhere to be found, and we see "populist" stuff like Mortal Kombat, GoW:A and Lost Planet 3 nominated as the representative of Best Writing, but not even a mention for much more talked-about Bioshock Infinite or Walking Dead.

Avatar image for PannicAtack
#7 Edited by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

@speak_low said:

WGA is a respected group, so I don't know why they pick such odd nominations, with nearly all of them being mainstream and big budgeted titles.

Here are the noms from 2011 and 2012 for example:

2011 Nominees

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Fallout: New Vegas

God of War III

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Singularity

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

2012 Nominees

Assassin’s Creed: Revelations

Batman: Arkham City

Brink

Mortal Kombat

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Seriously, God of War III? The writing in that game was abysmal.

Avatar image for Jag85
#8 Edited by Jag85 (12030 posts) -

@speak_low said:
@Jag85 said:

I'm surprised those games were picked in 2011/2012 over better-written narratives like The Walking Dead, Zero Escape, Catherine, or To the Moon.

I saw in the Comments section in the link someone say these nominations are all from writers who are active members of WGA.

So it's very likely they work in Film/Television as well, where WGA membership is a requirement (but not required if writing solely in the video game industry).

If that's the case, it might explain what you mentioned - so many missing great titles from smaller, more deserving games are nowhere to be found, and we see "populist" stuff like Mortal Kombat, GoW:A and Lost Planet 3 nominated as the representative of Best Writing, but not even a mention for much more talked-about Bioshock Infinite or Walking Dead.

I see. That kind of explains it. It's a shame more deserving titles won't get nominated because of this restriction.

The Last of Us is kind of deserving though, but the rest not so much. It should easily win this year, or at least I hope so.

Avatar image for Gue1
#9 Edited by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

Lost Planet & GOW:A... Is this a joke, right? lol

Avatar image for Jankarcop
#10 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

8/10 not goty

Avatar image for lostrib
#11 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

Lost Planet 3? Wth

Avatar image for Heil68
#12 Posted by Heil68 (58165 posts) -

Timeless classic that will go down in history. Well deserved.

Avatar image for xboxdone74
#13 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

8/10 not goty

Stay jelly. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#14 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Lost Planet 3 and GOW:A being on that list completely invalidates this whole thread

Avatar image for I_can_haz
#15 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

lems are on suicide watch.

"b...b...bu....bu...but mah Gamespot scores!"

Avatar image for Blabadon
#16 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

That is the dumbest writer's guild ever then.

Avatar image for Pikminmaniac
#17 Edited by Pikminmaniac (11296 posts) -

@speak_low said:

WGA is a respected group, so I don't know why they pick such odd nominations, with nearly all of them being mainstream and big budgeted titles.

Here are the noms from 2011 and 2012 for example:

2011 Nominees

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Fallout: New Vegas

God of War III

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Singularity

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

2012 Nominees

Assassin’s Creed: Revelations

Batman: Arkham City

Brink

Mortal Kombat

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Are you serious about GOW 3?!? That has one of the worst and outright plot hole heavy stories ever created in a game...

"I must gain the power destroy gods by opening Pandora's box" *Kratos kills a bunch of gods and some how doesn't realize he killed a bunch of gods even when Hera tells him he killed a bunch of gods and the world is going into chaos due to his actions because Kratos still looks for Pandora's box for the power to kill a god* He even whipsers to himself before opening the box, "the power to kill a god"... What the heck do you think you were doing the entire time?

Biggest plot error ever...

Avatar image for PhazonBlazer
#18 Posted by PhazonBlazer (12013 posts) -

I also heard it was nominated for an Oscar.

Avatar image for speak_low
#20 Edited by Speak_Low (2248 posts) -

I totally agree with the bad choices and their restrictions seem unfair to many deserving games. I don't think many of the games are actually bad, it's just not the best examples they could've gone with.

WGA tends to choose great movies nominees every year that span the entire spectrum (small indie to big budget films and everything in between), but when it comes to video games it looks like they are nominating from a very limited pool of candidates, ignoring a good 50%-60% of the other games.

I'm scared to look at what the nominees were in other years like 2010 and before. WGA said their awards for video games goes back 7 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if Assassins Creed 1 was nominated and Portal wasn't even on there lol

Avatar image for xboxdone74
#22 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

@Pikminmaniac said:

@speak_low said:

WGA is a respected group, so I don't know why they pick such odd nominations, with nearly all of them being mainstream and big budgeted titles.

Here are the noms from 2011 and 2012 for example:

2011 Nominees

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Fallout: New Vegas

God of War III

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Singularity

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

2012 Nominees

Assassin’s Creed: Revelations

Batman: Arkham City

Brink

Mortal Kombat

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Are you serious about GOW 3?!? That has one of the worst and outright plot hole heavy stories ever created in a game...

"I must gain the power destroy gods by opening Pandora's box" *Kratos kills a bunch of gods and some how doesn't realize he killed a bunch of gods even when Hera tells him he killed a bunch of gods and the world is going into chaos due to his actions because Kratos still looks for Pandora's box for the power to kill a god* He even whipsers to himself before opening the box, "the power to kill a god"... What the heck do you think you were doing the entire time?

Biggest plot error ever...

Athena told Kratos it would take more to kill Zeus than the other gods.

And in the end, you find out he always had had the power to kill gods after opening the box in GoW 1...even though Athena and Kratos weren't savvy to it.

Avatar image for Phazevariance
#23 Posted by Phazevariance (12316 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@Jankarcop said:

8/10 not goty

Stay jelly. :)

LOL confusing Game of The Year with Peoples Choice. Large fail.

Avatar image for PannicAtack
#24 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@speak_low said:

WGA is a respected group, so I don't know why they pick such odd nominations, with nearly all of them being mainstream and big budgeted titles.

Here are the noms from 2011 and 2012 for example:

2011 Nominees

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Fallout: New Vegas

God of War III

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Singularity

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

2012 Nominees

Assassin’s Creed: Revelations

Batman: Arkham City

Brink

Mortal Kombat

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Are you serious about GOW 3?!? That has one of the worst and outright plot hole heavy stories ever created in a game...

"I must gain the power destroy gods by opening Pandora's box" *Kratos kills a bunch of gods and some how doesn't realize he killed a bunch of gods even when Hera tells him he killed a bunch of gods and the world is going into chaos due to his actions because Kratos still looks for Pandora's box for the power to kill a god* He even whipsers to himself before opening the box, "the power to kill a god"... What the heck do you think you were doing the entire time?

Biggest plot error ever...

Athena told Kratos it would take more to kill Zeus than the other gods.

And in the end, you find out he always had had the power to kill gods after opening the box in GoW 1...even though Athena and Kratos weren't savvy to it.

Translation: The plot of the game is only possible at all because the characters are idiots.

Great storytelling there.

Avatar image for xboxdone74
#25 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@speak_low said:

WGA is a respected group, so I don't know why they pick such odd nominations, with nearly all of them being mainstream and big budgeted titles.

Here are the noms from 2011 and 2012 for example:

2011 Nominees

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Fallout: New Vegas

God of War III

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Singularity

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

2012 Nominees

Assassin’s Creed: Revelations

Batman: Arkham City

Brink

Mortal Kombat

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Are you serious about GOW 3?!? That has one of the worst and outright plot hole heavy stories ever created in a game...

"I must gain the power destroy gods by opening Pandora's box" *Kratos kills a bunch of gods and some how doesn't realize he killed a bunch of gods even when Hera tells him he killed a bunch of gods and the world is going into chaos due to his actions because Kratos still looks for Pandora's box for the power to kill a god* He even whipsers to himself before opening the box, "the power to kill a god"... What the heck do you think you were doing the entire time?

Biggest plot error ever...

Athena told Kratos it would take more to kill Zeus than the other gods.

And in the end, you find out he always had had the power to kill gods after opening the box in GoW 1...even though Athena and Kratos weren't savvy to it.

Translation: The plot of the game is only possible at all because the characters are idiots.

Great storytelling there.

So you're admitting that you didn't even really know the details of the story? :-/

Should probably get a Ps3 and play the game, son.

Avatar image for xboxdone74
#26 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

@Phazevariance said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@Jankarcop said:

8/10 not goty

Stay jelly. :)

LOL confusing Game of The Year with Peoples Choice. Large fail.

Does it not say "Game of the year?" :-/

Avatar image for PannicAtack
#27 Edited by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@PannicAtack said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@speak_low said:

WGA is a respected group, so I don't know why they pick such odd nominations, with nearly all of them being mainstream and big budgeted titles.

Here are the noms from 2011 and 2012 for example:

2011 Nominees

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Fallout: New Vegas

God of War III

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Singularity

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

2012 Nominees

Assassin’s Creed: Revelations

Batman: Arkham City

Brink

Mortal Kombat

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Are you serious about GOW 3?!? That has one of the worst and outright plot hole heavy stories ever created in a game...

"I must gain the power destroy gods by opening Pandora's box" *Kratos kills a bunch of gods and some how doesn't realize he killed a bunch of gods even when Hera tells him he killed a bunch of gods and the world is going into chaos due to his actions because Kratos still looks for Pandora's box for the power to kill a god* He even whipsers to himself before opening the box, "the power to kill a god"... What the heck do you think you were doing the entire time?

Biggest plot error ever...

Athena told Kratos it would take more to kill Zeus than the other gods.

And in the end, you find out he always had had the power to kill gods after opening the box in GoW 1...even though Athena and Kratos weren't savvy to it.

Translation: The plot of the game is only possible at all because the characters are idiots.

Great storytelling there.

So you're admitting that you didn't even really know the details of the story? :-/

Should probably get a Ps3 and play the game, son.

I do know the details of the story, and I have a PS3.

God of War III's story blows. Accept it.

Avatar image for xboxdone74
#28 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

@PannicAtack: I accept you should take the plunge, buy a ps3, and buy the game.

Also...

9 from Gamespot

92 on meta

Deal with it.

Avatar image for PannicAtack
#29 Edited by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

@xboxdone74: Deal with what? The game industry's pathetic standards for storytelling? Even with that, a lot of people agree that God of War III's story is shit, and no amount of hiding behind Metacritic will change that.

Wake me up when you have an actual argument to make.

Also, I have a PS3. I already mentioned that. You should pay better attention. There isn't much of a reason for me to actually buy God of War III, seeing how mechanically it's identical to the game I played back in 2006.

Avatar image for tryagainlater
#30 Posted by tryagainlater (7446 posts) -

The Last of Us is a good choice but that list is pretty terrible.

Avatar image for xboxdone74
#31 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

@PannicAtack: No, you don't have a ps3, but you wish you did. GoW 3 = AAA. Again, Deal with it.

Avatar image for PannicAtack
#32 Edited by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -


Now feel free to explain how God of War III's plot isn't dogshit.

Avatar image for X_CAPCOM_X
#33 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8110 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

...along with

  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  • Batman: Arkham Origins
  • God of War: Ascension
  • The Last of Us
  • Lost Planet 3

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassin-s-creed-iv-the-last-of-us-nominated-for-2014-writers-guild-awards/1100-6417064/

Hmm....I'm not so sure about some of these nominations. I'll even call out Ascension. The multiplayer is quite epic, but the campaign...eh....wasn't up to GoW standards.

That batman game is ass. So is LP3 compared to 2 and 1. Not sure about AC4

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#34 Posted by foxhound_fox (97376 posts) -

lol writers guild

Avatar image for applefan1991
#35 Posted by applefan1991 (3396 posts) -

Wait God of War had writing?

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#36 Posted by foxhound_fox (97376 posts) -

@WadeFan said:

Wait God of War had writing?

Apparently.

YARRRGH ZEUS YARRRGH POSEIDON YARRRGH

Avatar image for xboxdone74
#37 Edited by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

@PannicAtack: keep dancing, puppet.

gow3 aaa. deal. B-)

Avatar image for Jankarcop
#38 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

@Phazevariance said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@Jankarcop said:

8/10 not goty

Stay jelly. :)

LOL confusing Game of The Year with Peoples Choice. Large fail.

Don't mind him, his IQ got really low after the depression of 8/10 and no goty

Kid also lost sleep over PC winning its 4th gen in a row at GS.

Avatar image for lostrib
#39 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

Now feel free to explain how God of War III's plot isn't dogshit.

Boned

Avatar image for applefan1991
#40 Posted by applefan1991 (3396 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@WadeFan said:

Wait God of War had writing?

Apparently.

YARRRGH ZEUS YARRRGH POSEIDON YARRRGH

Haha, but seriously. Its a good game and all, just not one that I would use as a shining example of"writing"in a game.

Avatar image for Big_Pecks
#41 Edited by Big_Pecks (5973 posts) -

Yeah, TLOU will win. The only competitor is BioShock Infinite and it's not even there.

Avatar image for PannicAtack
#42 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

@WadeFan said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@WadeFan said:

Wait God of War had writing?

Apparently.

YARRRGH ZEUS YARRRGH POSEIDON YARRRGH

Haha, but seriously. Its a good game and all, just not one that I would use as a shining example of"writing"in a game.

HOEP IZ WAT MAYCS UZ STWONG

Avatar image for CroidX
#43 Posted by CroidX (1555 posts) -

Lost Planet 3 and GoW:A seriously?

Avatar image for g0ddyX
#44 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

GOW3 is a good game. Had some good narative and voices as well as being an epic game. That was 2011.
For 2013, TLOU is top dog.

Avatar image for PsychoLemons
#45 Edited by PsychoLemons (3180 posts) -

Yep, absolutely not a joke.

Avatar image for jg4xchamp
#46 Posted by jg4xchamp (61470 posts) -

ITT: People discovering that award shows tend to have some questionable nominations.


Avatar image for mems_1224
#47 Posted by mems_1224 (56917 posts) -

lmfao at that list. if they're gonna rig it for tlou to win they could at least make it less obvious.