The last headshot from TLOU gameplay video.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Bdrb1Vkq0&feature=related Ok I don't know if you all recognize this or just don't care. This is one of many reasons why this game is not scripted. At the end, after Joel beats the guy, we can see that there's a aiming point. Now what does that mean? It means that the player has total control of that situation. You can decide to shoot, or not to shoot, all up to the player. What happen if you don't shoot? There's a possibility that he will run, called his friend and back to kill you or he will tell you some information and runaway or.... This opens up a whole new level of possibilities. Another point, just be cause we see some fighting scene and it looks scripted, doesn't mean that the game is scripted, as you can decide whether you want to encounter the enemies or not (this point i think you've already know). Also, as I see from the gameplay, Joel can make items and has an inventory, which mean there'll be gathering system. Now this may not affect the game linearity but it sure will encourage exploration (since it actually has a "purpose" unlike UC) TLDR: not scripted. still linear (until proven otherwise) not a bad point though. And those who said this one is just another Uncharted can GTFO.
UnrealLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 UnrealLegend
Member since 2009 • 5888 Posts

The aiming crosshair doesn't mean it isn't scripted.

The final scene of MW2 also has an aiming crosshair, but that doesn't make it non-scripted, does it?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
I'm not saying that it's scripted or not, but that doesn't mean much. Giving you the ability to end the script (what the person is saying) by shooting the person is done in many games, it doesn't really mean much.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#4 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

People need to use less acronyms.

_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
There's a gametrailers video/interview where one of the devs specifically says the environment responds depending on where the player is and what he is doing. He said there are multiple ways you can play through that segment. Its ridiculous that people still think ND must be lying.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rjdofu
I'm not saying that it's scripted or not, but that doesn't mean much. Giving you the ability to end the script (what the person is saying) by shooting the person is done in many games, it doesn't really mean much.soulitane
Good point. However, as i see in ND games in particular. Scripted scene often trigger when you're in a dramatic situation, either you can't move, can do anything other than shooting (forced to kill) or always ends up killing the enemy before regaining control your character (in melee). In here, you still have full control over your body, i think you can walk away from that. You can say melee is 100% scripted, this scene, not so much.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rjdofu
[QUOTE="_Cadbury_"]There's a gametrailers video/interview where one of the devs specifically says the environment responds depending on where the player is and what he is doing. He said there are multiple ways you can play through that segment. Its ridiculous that people still think ND must be lying.

Well yeah, lol devs don't even have to say that. Anyone with a brain and some logic can figure out that there're numerous ways you can play through that part and trigger different fighting scenes too. Example, when Joel stand in the small room after the 1st encounter, there're 2 doors (1 door has enemy standing there waiting, the other doesn't). It's all up to the player to decide what to do, how many bullets to shoot and what tactic to kill or run.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
[QUOTE="soulitane"]I'm not saying that it's scripted or not, but that doesn't mean much. Giving you the ability to end the script (what the person is saying) by shooting the person is done in many games, it doesn't really mean much.rjdofu
Good point. However, as i see in ND games in particular. Scripted scene often trigger when you're in a dramatic situation, either you can't move, can do anything other than shooting (forced to kill) or always ends up killing the enemy before regaining control your character (in melee). In here, you still have full control over your body, i think you can walk away from that. You can say melee is 100% scripted, this scene, not so much.

My guess would be, you have two choices, either kill the guy, or walk away. I'll wager that keeping your gun on the guy will make it play through a set sequence and then just have him cower, like in most games. Letting him go though, say by turning your back, will most likely result in another one of those scripted melee scenes depending on what way the player is facing (as to the type of the attack). That's how I see it, they could make him run away while you're holding the gun on him, and then he'd probably just end up going back to how he was before.
mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

Speculation. In both cases.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

i'm simply interested in this game and will get it... will it have scripted scenes? probably.. Do I care? no....

judging by their previous work, ND are great devs and I'm sure they're not gonna disappoint us the TLOU :)

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rjdofu
[QUOTE="soulitane"][QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="soulitane"] Good point. However, as i see in ND games in particular. Scripted scene often trigger when you're in a dramatic situation, either you can't move, can do anything other than shooting (forced to kill) or always ends up killing the enemy before regaining control your character (in melee). In here, you still have full control over your body, i think you can walk away from that. You can say melee is 100% scripted, this scene, not so much.

My guess would be, you have two choices, either kill the guy, or walk away. I'll wager that keeping your gun on the guy will make it play through a set sequence and then just have him cower, like in most games. Letting him go though, say by turning your back, will most likely result in another one of those scripted melee scenes depending on what way the player is facing (as to the type of the attack). That's how I see it, they could make him run away while you're holding the gun on him, and then he'd probably just end up going back to how he was before.

Yep, that what I think it would be, or it would be just another scripted scene like you said (too bad if that's true though).

Speculation. In both cases.

mccoyca112
Yeah what else do we have :P? Except that there's at least some evidence in my claims. Better than "hurr hurr just another scripted linear UC crap"
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
I don't think it's any more "scripted" than most games, but I also don't know what makes it so amazing if it's not scripted. AI behavior like that isn't something we haven't seen before. I'd like to know whether those melee struggles are controlled, just animations that play out, or mash X to win.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rjdofu
I don't think it's any more "scripted" than most games, but I also don't know what makes it so amazing if it's not scripted. AI behavior like that isn't something we haven't seen before. I'd like to know whether those melee struggles are controlled, just animations that play out, or mash X to win.AAllxxjjnn
If it's not scripted then there's more gameplay to it, more time we can control out character, more things we can do which lead to different outcomes. Simple as that. I agree that AI in this game is a little bit overhyped, but it's good nevertheless, and we still haven't seen what this game is fully capable of. About the melee struggles thing, i think its animation or just some QTEs here and there. Not that you can do much about it anyway, release him for him to kill you or choke him to death, no brainer?
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I don't think it's any more "scripted" than most games, but I also don't know what makes it so amazing if it's not scripted. AI behavior like that isn't something we haven't seen before. I'd like to know whether those melee struggles are controlled, just animations that play out, or mash X to win.AAllxxjjnn
I do remember him saying in an interview, the AI realizes that you run out of ammo so they will move in on you once that happens.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Megatonz
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

i'm simply interested in this game and will get it... will it have scripted scenes? probably.. Do I care? no....

judging by their previous work, ND are great devs and I'm sure they're not gonna disappoint us the TLOU :)

Malta_1980
Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]I don't think it's any more "scripted" than most games, but I also don't know what makes it so amazing if it's not scripted. AI behavior like that isn't something we haven't seen before. I'd like to know whether those melee struggles are controlled, just animations that play out, or mash X to win.mrmusicman247
I do remember him saying in an interview, the AI realizes that you run out of ammo so they will move in on you once that happens.

Yeah thats exactly something we see in all video games init

OctaBech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 OctaBech
Member since 2008 • 276 Posts
How controlled were they in the opening-scene to Uncharted 3?