The Kingdom Hearts series is some of the greatest RPG's ever

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

I am talking about the console versions, though Birth by Sleep was rather good so I'll give it some credit. Kindgom Hearts gets alot of hate on here calling it a "button masher" and not really an RPG. I think it is the handhelds and spin-offs that have gathered the hate for the series. From all the RPG's out there, I find Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 to be the most enjoyable ones I've played. From the presentation to the awesome gameplay and story, not to mention some of the best soundtracks in gaming.

With all the wait for the sequel to Kingdom Hearts 2, the popularity is mega huge. I wouldn't be suprised if it even succeeds FFXIII Versus in popularity and anticipation. I think Kingdom Hearts 3 will be one of the most anticipated games in gaming.

So what's with all the hate for this series?

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Utensilman
Member since 2006 • 1571 Posts
agreed. Plus the game's Proud mode is pretty difficult and super fun
After_Math

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 After_Math
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts

I am talking about the console versions, though Birth by Sleep was rather good so I'll give it some credit. Kindgom Hearts gets alot of hate on here calling it a "button masher" and not really an RPG. I think it is the handhelds and spin-offs that have gathered the hate for the series. From all the RPG's out there, I find Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 to be the most enjoyable ones I've played. From the presentation to the awesome gameplay and story, not to mention some of the best soundtracks in gaming.

With all the wait for the sequel to Kingdom Hearts 2, the popularity is mega huge. I wouldn't be suprised if it even succeeds FFXIII Versus in popularity and anticipation. I think Kingdom Hearts 3 will be one of the most anticipated games in gaming.

Blazerdt47

Fans want Kingdom Hearts 3. A true current-gen game for consoles. Not remakes. Not spin-offs. Not hand-held games, but Kingdom Hearts 3.

And for the record, most of Kingdom Hears 2 was button-mashing, but the games are true and fun ARPG's (Action RPGs).

Shake_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shake_McGee
Member since 2011 • 58 Posts
I would agree if you were only talking about the original. The sequel and spinoffs have been rather mediocre.
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

Rubbish story, rubbish characters (Not including the Disney ones) simple, ableit fun gameplay.

I wouldnt rate it very highly.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Blazerdt47

I would agree if you were only talking about the original. The sequel and spinoffs have been rather mediocre.Shake_McGee

Not true, I found the sequel just as enjoyable as the first but better.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Ive played all of them excluding Coded and thats where I plan to stop. The story has reached a level of convolution I simply cant take and the gameplay simply isnt deep enough to compell me to continue with the series.

That said, the series has some pretty damn cool characters designs and the music is incredible (Yoko Shimumura is an amazing composer).

Im personally done with the series. For the record Re: Chain of Memories was my favorite.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blazerdt47

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

After_Math

Fans want Kingdom Hearts 3. A true current-gen game for consoles. Not remakes. Not spin-offs. Not hand-held games, but Kingdom Hearts 3.

And for the record, most of Kingdom Hears 2 was button-mashing, but the games are true and fun ARPG's (Action RPGs).

Kingdom Hearts 3 info will come right when FFXIII Versus is finished. In an interview Nomura has said that Kingdom Hearts is his most beloved series and with his extraordinary love for the PS3, we are pretty much guaranteed a true next gen console sequel. ;)

jkhd831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jkhd831
Member since 2009 • 687 Posts

Rubbish story, rubbish characters (Not including the Disney ones) simple, ableit fun gameplay.

-Snooze-

I disagree. It had a better story and characters than the majority of games this gen.

VensInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 VensInferno
Member since 2010 • 3395 Posts

I am VensInferno, and I approve this message!

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

First and second game was awesome then it fell appart for me.

I need some of it to make sense thank you.

Kholdstare14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Kholdstare14
Member since 2005 • 427 Posts

I completely agree. Some people say its convoluted and I agree. It is probably a more convoluted story than metal gear. Heck it might e the most convoluted game series in history but I suppose I like convoluted stories. The speculation and mystery to the whole series keeps me coming back for more. If you dont like the convoluted story or endless spin-offs just play the main series. You might miss some things but it all boils down to: travel through disney worlds and beat the bad guys at the end.

It's basically over complicated in its story yet simple and straightforward if you don't pay attention to smaller details in the story. I've missed Re:coded cuz it seems terrible but im anticipating dream drop distance and when KH3 releases ill be ecstatic.

VensInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VensInferno

I am currently playing Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix. But dangit I cant get the freaking GameShark to work!?>?!

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts

I would agree.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I agree with you but many won't. I actually enjoy the convoluted story. Though it IS convoluted.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Eh, it's a good kids RPG I guess.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

I'd have to compelely disagree.

the only reason I've stuck with the franchise in any capacity is because I want to see it finished. But is it good? no its has been and always will be *and with each spin off and prequel..etc release more so* plot hole filled travisity that in its heart was just a big old button masher.
We won't see a KH3 anytime soon which is why I've officially given up on the game completely.

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gaming25
Eh, it's a good kids RPG I guess.KHAndAnime
So I assume that the KH in your user name does not mean Kingdom Hearts.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
Story is pretty convoluted, not a lot of great characters.. combat is really easy on any difficulty. They are great games, but no where near greatest. Series like Suikoden, Shadow Hearts, even Final Fantasy, have a lot more greater titles.
mejiseike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mejiseike
Member since 2011 • 530 Posts

they are pretty amazing... but i wouldnt say the best... cuz i havent tried a lot haha

but for a series as a story i would say its for sure the best!

except Little Mermaid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its horrible

VensInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VensInferno

I'd have to compelely disagree.

the only reason I've stuck with the franchise in any capacity is because I want to see it finished. But is it good? no its has been and always will be *and with each spin off and prequel..etc release more so* plot hole filled travisity that in its heart was just a big old button masher.
We won't see a KH3 anytime soon which is why I've officially given up on the game completely.

WilliamRLBaker

I have to disagree . Sure the Spin-Offs like Re:Coded and 358/2 and even Birth by Sleep weren't neccesary. But with them they filled in the gap for those big huge question Kingdom Hearts Fan have been wondering about. You would be amazed at what you figure out from playing all the games. My mind was blown at the end of KH BBS FM which is...[spoiler] Land of Departure which is home to Terra, Aqua, and Ven being Castle Oblivion( That blew my mind) [/spoiler]

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

Kingdom Hearts isn't really a RPG (although it has some rpg elements).

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Eh, it's a good kids RPG I guess.gaming25
So I assume that the KH in your user name does not mean Kingdom Hearts.

It does, but it's just a poke at the legions of Kingdom Hearts + Anime fans on these boards. :P
VensInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VensInferno

Kingdom Hearts isn't a RPG. SAGE_OF_FIRE
Yes it is. Its a Action Role Playing Game.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

Kingdom Hearts isn't really a RPG (although it has some rpg elements).

SAGE_OF_FIRE

What is it then?

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gaming25

I have to disagree . Sure the Spin-Offs like Re:Coded and 358/2 and even Birth by Sleep weren't neccesary. But with them they filled in the gap for those big huge question Kingdom Hearts Fan have been wondering about. You would be amazed at what you figure out from playing all the games. My mind was blown at the end of KH BBS FM which is... Land of Departure which is home to Terra, Aqua, and Ven being Castle Oblivion( That blew my mind) VensInferno

Maybe it is actually something people should play through to understand. Because to a lot of people including me it looks like a bunch of added story that makes even more questions.

VensInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VensInferno

[QUOTE="VensInferno"]

I have to disagree . Sure the Spin-Offs like Re:Coded and 358/2 and even Birth by Sleep weren't neccesary. But with them they filled in the gap for those big huge question Kingdom Hearts Fan have been wondering about. You would be amazed at what you figure out from playing all the games. My mind was blown at the end of KH BBS FM which is... Land of Departure which is home to Terra, Aqua, and Ven being Castle Oblivion( That blew my mind) gaming25

Maybe it is actually something people should play through to understand. Because to a lot of people including me it looks like a bunch of added story that makes even more questions.

And Kingdom Hearts 3 will answer the last remaining questions :D

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

I wouldn't put any version of Kingdom Hearts in a top 50 RPGs list.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shirokishi_

[QUOTE="gaming25"]

[QUOTE="VensInferno"]

I have to disagree . Sure the Spin-Offs like Re:Coded and 358/2 and even Birth by Sleep weren't neccesary. But with them they filled in the gap for those big huge question Kingdom Hearts Fan have been wondering about. You would be amazed at what you figure out from playing all the games. My mind was blown at the end of KH BBS FM which is... Land of Departure which is home to Terra, Aqua, and Ven being Castle Oblivion( That blew my mind) VensInferno

No, the 3-5 filler games after it will.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blazerdt47

[QUOTE="VensInferno"]

[QUOTE="gaming25"]

Shirokishi_

I'm pretty sure all our questions will be answered in 2020 with Kingdom Hearts 4. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#31 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Oh god no.
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shirokishi_

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

[QUOTE="VensInferno"] And Kingdom Hearts 3 will answer the last remaining questions :D

Blazerdt47

I'm pretty sure all our questions will be answered in 2020 with Kingdom Hearts 4. :P

But what about the secret teaser ending at the end of Kingdom Hearts 4Final Mix in 2022???

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#33 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

Kingdom Hearts 1-2 was great. I never played the handheld one though. Just give me a KH3. :/

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
Eh, while I enjoy the gameplay and even the story somewhat, the series falls into way to many annoying JRPG cliches (spiky haired, melodramatic, redundant, annoying characters for the most part). Also I'm tired of going to the same Disney Worlds every time, I wanted to stop going to Alladen's world after the first game. I also have lost most interest in the series after there has been like, 5 handheld games but only two console ones. Not that it matters much, the handheld ones just rehash the same story with slight differences.
fablesway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fablesway
Member since 2011 • 23504 Posts

It sure is i love the series it's a great rpg, the only one that took awhile for me to get used to was kingdom hearts re: chains of memories

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

to be honest i cant seem to get into kingdom hearts...it just looks a lil too childish...hell it took me a minute just to get into final fantasy and the versus trailer from 2008 got me hooked. idk maybe i should try it

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
I've always found it very mediocre, which is a shame because the concept of having the whole Disney characters together on a game is brilliant.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

That's the one with Final Fantasy and Disney characters holding hands and fighting with giant keys, amirite?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

-Snooze-

To say that the KH story is rubbish is an understatement. People are simply in love with the aesthetic of the game that's all, the same with FFXIII. Trendy J-pop music, anime inspired characters (aside from the Disney ones obviously), tacked on FF characters and button mashing gameplay. That is Kingdom Hearts. People just love to hit those buttons hard!

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
Oh god no.siLVURcross
This about sums up my feelings. Although the button mashing is pretty fum.
TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

Na

FierceJello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FierceJello
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I was a regular poster on this board when the first two Kingdom Hearts were released, and both were ridiculed for being button mashers with silly plots that only sold because of misplaced nostalgia.
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#43 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

i agree, even though i like birth by sleep, i'm tired of spin off, i couldn't even finished 358/2 i got so bored of it. I want my kh 3 already

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Kingdom Hearts and Birth by Sleep are definitely two of my favorite RPGs. The rest are from good to disappointment.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Really... you're serious? I personally don't even think the series even falls into the genre itself. Sure, its a pretty decent game (the first one) but it isn't anywhere close to the "best game" or "best RPG." Its a fan-service fan's dream come true though.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#46 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I think one would have to lower their standard quite a bit to call KH one of the greatest RPGs ever.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
One of my favorite. 1 & 2 and Chain of Memories are all amazing
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

I have both KH1+2 & the furthest I've got was up to the Tarzan world in the first, which was ages ago. After replaying it recently I completed the Alice in Wonderland world & shelved it. There is just something I don't like that I can't really put my finger on, despite thinking the combat is pretty good (with a bit more work, it could be great.. Hopefully FFvs13). I know I hate the ship + customization aspect of it though.

I will force myself to finish them regardless of weather I end up enjoying them though, but I didn't like Mass Effect until my third try either, & it ended up being one of my favourite games this gen.

BakedDank420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BakedDank420
Member since 2010 • 473 Posts

Sorry, Disney characters....thats all i have to say. They shouldn't have put FF characters in that game, why would they need to if its awesome in it self? Sorry, not trying to bash some peoples favorite series,its just those are my faults with it, just IMO.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

It was immesely enjoyable to me back then, but I grow tired of waiting. And I couldn't even finish Re:coded even though my friend persuaded me to play it.