The graphical difference between Xbox 360 and PS3 is smaller than some say

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

While some PS3 exclusives like Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 do look better than Xbox 360 exclusives, the difference is also smaller than some try to portray. The fact is that the PS3 is stronger than Xbox 360, but only in CPU power. The GPU is comparable to the 360's GPU, as is the amount of RAM memory. It's not like they're a generation appart and the PS3 graphics look a lot worse than high-end PC graphics, let alone true next-gen graphics.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

The graphical differences are minor and likely rely more on visual/artistic appeal rather than large technical differences. You also get people stating PC games don't look much better, yet notice intricate differences between console multiplats and exclusives.

Hypocrisy rules SW.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

We all know the PS3 and 360 have very similar graphics capabilities, with work the PS3 is said to have an edge. Its sad but this will most likely turn into a massive 100+ post thread debating how big that small gap really is...

Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

its certainly smaller that the E3 2005 led us to believe it would be. when i got my PS3 i expected it to destroy my 360, but it never did. ok some of its exclusive look a bit nicer. but not that much

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#5 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

There is no graphical difference. It´s all about hype and Sony did an awesome job at that ;)

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

The graphical differences are minor and likely rely more on visual/artistic appeal rather than large technical differences. You also get people stating PC games don't look much better, yet notice intricate differences between console multiplats and exclusives.

Hypocrisy rules SW.

People also want to just look at screenshots. Games like total war for me are what show off the PC's reall power. The scale is something thats just impossible on consoles.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

There is no graphical difference. It´s all about hype and Sony did an awesome job at that ;)

PAL360

I'd say the PS3 exclusives look marginally better, but its not the leaps and bounds that cows think it is.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Hypocrisy rules SW.

blue_hazy_basic

People also want to just look at screenshots. Games like total war for me are what show off the PC's reall power. The scale is something thats just impossible on consoles.

That's also a good point. A series like Total War really shows off what it has when in motion. It's a shame we can't get some higher quality vids of gameplay nowadays, unless they're released by game sites or devs.

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts

PAL360
Yes there is. Not huge but its there. Nothing on xbox matches Uncharted2 with detail and smooth framerate.
Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#10 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts

. You also get people stating PC games don't look much better, yet notice intricate differences between console multiplats and exclusives.

Hypocrisy rules SW.

lundy86_4
I completely agree with you. I love it when they try to downplay the pc, but then fight which version is better by jaggies of shadows in consoles
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

If 360 fans want to downplay how great PS3 exclusives look, then I find it funny that they will rave so much about multiplats being so superior.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
There is a noticeable difference- since Uncharted: Drake's Fortune -whether people like it or not. It is not a big difference whether certain other people like it or not. I however, like cake. I guess I completely agreed with you.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PAL360

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

blue_hazy_basic

I'd say the PS3 exclusives look marginally better, but its not the leaps and bounds that cows think it is.

Indeed, but it´s not more than a design choice. I wonder if those 3 PS3 exclusives would look better than Reach if they were more open, had local coop, etc.

dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts
There is a noticeable difference- since Uncharted: Drake's Fortune -whether people like it or not. It is not a big difference whether certain other people like it or not. I however, like cake. I guess I completely agreed with you.Floppy_Jim
it is a big difference. don't down play it.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PAL360

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

tommyas

Yes there is. Not huge but its there. Nothing on xbox matches Uncharted2 with detail and smooth framerate.

Visually, i agree with you. Technically, i havent seen a console game that tops RDR on 360.

NanoMan88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NanoMan88
Member since 2006 • 1220 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Hypocrisy rules SW.

blue_hazy_basic

This

THe gfx of total war are amazing and probably has the best gfx if you consider everything. But consolers will dismiss it because strategy games dont count to them.

thomasward00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thomasward00
Member since 2004 • 96 Posts
These arguments are so funny, as an adult gamer I simply do not understand the allure of the 360 or PS3.. FPS control on a console is horrific not to mention the lack of mods and the simple fact that FPS are made for a mouse and keyboard... Lets also not leave out that both the 360 and PS3 are graphically inferior to a decent PC. PC for FPS, RTS and MMO's Wii for relaxing living room fun, quirky Japanese games. Any person who says the Wii is for kids and is not "Hardcore" is 20 and living in their parents basement.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]There is a noticeable difference- since Uncharted: Drake's Fortune -whether people like it or not. It is not a big difference whether certain other people like it or not. I however, like cake. I guess I completely agreed with you.dog_dirt
it is a big difference. don't down play it.

Foiled! You caught me in Lem mode :( Go ahead, tell me where the really big differences are.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

These arguments are always going to on on. Because either a game is exclusive, and there isn't a version on the other platform for comparison. Or it isn't exclusive, in which case it is lowest common denominator limited; and the platform that believes itself to be more powerful blames the other one for holding it back.

That or a game gets ported at a later date, in which case the game is geared towards that particular platforms hardware merits. Say for example that platform X is better at physics, but platform Y is better at textures. Game from platform X gets ported to platform Y, but the physics had to be toned down to compensate. Even though platform Y is better at textures, it would only get a port of platform Xs textures. Therefore people only see a downgrade, suggesting a weaker system.

Short of a professional port of a 1st party exclusive (which wouldn't happen), that scales the game up/down to the platforms capabilities, the differences between platforms isn't going to be highlighted.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Difference for me is hardly noticeable. I am sure Uncharted 2 could run on the 360 looking practically the same as it does on the PS3.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
PS3 is a bit more powerful, doesn't seem by much though. In the end they produce very similar graphics.
shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts

PAL360
They did do a good job but when people realized the truth they were more likely to go with X360 than before. I know this because I was gung-ho about the PS3 back in 2005, especially being a PS2 owner. Then the truth and games came out and I went with the X360, never looking back. I'm sure there are many many more X360 gamers with similar stories
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
what good is hardware if you dont have the games to back it up... imagine if you had a killer pc but the best looking games are around counter strikes level... clearly the pc can output amazing visuals but if the games dont push the hardware then there really isnt much competition.. Until something looks as good as gt5 or uncharted 2.. the ps3 will always have the graphical superiority [its not a huge difference but its still better] (gears 3 looks good though so that COULD bring some competition) (watches as i get attacked for my opinion)
Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
Yeah the difference is quite minuscule. It's not like last generation where the difference was obvious in screen comparisons. It's more like going on about how the SNES is more powerful than the genesis. When you barely notice a difference on screen.
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
I personally find the difference pretty noticeable between a game like Uncharted 2 and Gears or AW.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

For a laugh here's Sony's 2005 conference.

Now even PS3 fans have to be modest enough to blush with embarrassment while watching that conference, the claims were ridiculous. I'm hoping people will learn from that and be more critical of claims come next generation, hopefully. Really don't want to go through that sort of over hype again, some of them literally thought the PS3 was a super computer.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

people say the ps3 puts out slightly better graphics but it actually has less color in multiplats than 360.

AbleFa3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AbleFa3
Member since 2010 • 901 Posts

While some PS3 exclusives like Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 do look better than Xbox 360 exclusives, the difference is also smaller than some try to portray. The fact is that the PS3 is stronger than Xbox 360, but only in CPU power. The GPU is comparable to the 360's GPU, as is the amount of RAM memory. It's not like they're a generation appart and the PS3 graphics look a lot worse than high-end PC graphics, let alone true next-gen graphics.

nameless12345

I like Alan Wake, Fable 3, Gears 3 visuals better than any PS3 game so far myself

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

The graphical differences on multi-plats are very-very insignificant, but fan boys exaggerate them. Graphical accomplishments on system exclusives like Uncharted games and others is very-very good.

AbleFa3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AbleFa3
Member since 2010 • 901 Posts

The graphical differences on multi-plats are very-very insignificant, but fan boys exaggerate them. Graphical accomplishments on system exclusives like Uncharted games and others is very-very good.

clr84651

What Alan Wake did in huge open spaces and dynamic next gen lighting and detail is 10x more of an achievement than the small levels of Uncharted 2 with the static ligthing imo

T-Aldous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 T-Aldous
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

I find the difference to be slim to none on excusives. I think U2 looks great but not much better than games like Gears. I think that the only reason that people talk about the differences in multiplats is because you can compare the same exact image between the two consoles.

siddhu33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 siddhu33
Member since 2008 • 3264 Posts

[QUOTE="clr84651"]

AbleFa3

What Alan Wake did in huge open spaces and dynamic next gen lighting and detail is 10x more of an achievement than the small levels of Uncharted 2 with the static ligthing imo

Oh oh...

Theseekar?

Is that you?

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

Hypocrisy rules SW.

lundy86_4

yea ps3 hav an small edge nothing so serious they hav a couple of games that beats 360 games in graphics. but pc is on a different level. i swear this old game resident evil 5 on pc when maxed out beats every console game graphically at least 3 times fold. the diffrence between consoles and pc is huge. i use to think assassin creed 2 on 360 looked great until i got it for my pc and played it side by side it literaly looked like a different game. graphically now consoles dont even conpare with pc but consoles do produce artistic and impressive games

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts

[QUOTE="AbleFa3"]

[QUOTE="clr84651"]

siddhu33

Oh oh...

Theseekar?

Is that you?

OMG theseekar was annoying lol. on topic: i believe the ps3 is a little just little more powerful just little.
KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

They run pretty much identical. Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 are two of the best looking games I've played, but I wouldn't say they look any better than Alan Wake.

Saying that, Alan Wake is the only 360 exclusive that I'd say looks great. I guess it's down to how much emphasis the devs put into the game.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

There's a difference, albeit not a huge one. The difference I notice is more in things like animations and physics, which tend to be better (for me at least) in Sony produced games.

I have no idea how much of this, if any, is due to the systems power, or if it simply boils down to the devs. That being said, it doesn't really matter, the more impressive games are on ps3, and only on ps3... IMO.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
The biggest difference is really exclusive dev quality. The PS3 has a very large and very talented group of 1st party studios compared to it's competition. They know how to get as much out of the PS3 hardware and still release a top notch game gameplay wise as well.
yugioh3ds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 yugioh3ds
Member since 2010 • 456 Posts

Both are equal Because....

-All PS3 exclusives run at 720p

-Most 360 exclusives are sub HD

-Most PS3 exclusives are corridor

-Most 360 exclusives have larger more open maps

So even the exclusives between both platforms can not be compared because they use totally different techniques to render

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10651 Posts

PAL360

So UC2 and Gears 2 looks identical, yeah?

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10651 Posts

So even the exclusives between both platforms can not be compared because they use totally different techniques to render

yugioh3ds

WRONG!!!!!!! I can name AT LEAST 3 ps3 exclusives that run in a 1080p relsolution.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

blue_hazy_basic

This, I believe PS3 has a slight edge in (some of) its exclusives other than that both consoles are the same.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts
[QUOTE="siddhu33"]

[QUOTE="AbleFa3"]

[QUOTE="clr84651"]

Oh oh...

Theseekar?

Is that you?

No its saolin the fable fanatic. He loves all things xbox but pretends to have a ps3 also. Classic sayings include 'million times better', 'huge open worlds' etc.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Yeah i agree, yet fanboys lock onto a flaw and have posts as follows: "Yeah but the 2D trees!! FAIIIL!!!11" Pathetic....
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts

Most 360 exclusives have larger more open mapsyugioh3ds
Like Gears and Alan Wake.http://oi27.tinypic.com/awb50x.jpg

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

I've always thought they were pretty close. I think, as in the case of KZ2, that Sony developers build an engine from the ground up that's really able to use a lot of the console's power.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

nameless12345
The GPUs are not comparable. For today's raster workloads, the RSX/Geforce 7 is an aging GPU. From http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=57736&page=5 ------------------------ "I could go on for pages listing the types of things the spu's are used for to make up for the machines aging gpu, which may be 7 series NVidia but that's basically a tweaked 6 series NVidia for the most part. But I'll just type a few off the top of my head:" 1) Two ppu/vmx units There are three ppu/vmx units on the 360, and just one on the PS3. So any load on the 360's remaining two ppu/vmx units must be moved to spu. 2) Vertex culling You can look back a few years at my first post talking about this, but it's common knowledge now that you need to move as much vertex load as possible to spu otherwise it won't keep pace with the 360. 3) Vertex texture sampling You can texture sample in vertex shaders on 360 just fine, but it's unusably slow on PS3. Most multi platform games simply won't use this feature on 360 to make keeping parity easier, but if a dev does make use of it then you will have no choice but to move all such functionality to spu. 4) Shader patching Changing variables in shader programs is cake on the 360. Not so on the PS3 because they are embedded into the shader programs. So you have to use spu's to patch your shader programs. 5) Branching You never want a lot of branching in general, but when you do really need it the 360 handles it fine, PS3 does not. If you are stuck needing branching in shaders then you will want to move all such functionality to spu. 6) Shader inputs You can pass plenty of inputs to shaders on 360, but do it on PS3 and your game will grind to a halt. You will want to move all such functionality to spu to minimize the amount of inputs needed on the shader programs. 7) MSAA alternatives Msaa runs full speed on 360 gpu needing just cpu tiling calculations. Msaa on PS3 gpu is very slow. You will want to move msaa to spu as soon as you can. 8 ) Post processing 360 is unified architecture meaning post process steps can often be slotted into gpu idle time. This is not as easily doable on PS3, so you will want to move as much post process to spu as possible. 9) Load balancing 360 gpu load balances itself just fine since it's unified. If the load on a given frame shifts to heavy vertex or heavy pixel load then you don't care. Not so on PS3 where such load shifts will cause frame drops. You will want to shift as much load as possible to spu to minimize your peak load on the gpu. 10) Half floats You can use full floats just fine on the 360 gpu. On the PS3 gpu they cause performance slowdowns. If you really need/have to use shaders with many full floats then you will want to move such functionality over to the spu's. 11) Shader array indexing You can index into arrays in shaders on the 360 gpu no problem. You can't do that on PS3. If you absolutely need this functionality then you will have to either rework your shaders or move it all to spu
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
[QUOTE="ermacness"]

[QUOTE="yugioh3ds"]

WRONG!!!!!!! I can name AT LEAST 3 ps3 exclusives that run in a 1080p relsolution.

Demo of GT5 doesn't render at 1920x1080p.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

If 360 fans want to downplay how great PS3 exclusives look, then I find it funny that they will rave so much about multiplats being so superior.

Ragnarok1051
how do you know that all the people who say multiplats look so superior are the same people. It's really annoying saying something like that.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PAL360

Ragnarok1051

The only diference is that you can actually compare multiplats.

Anyway, im sure that at this point everyone agree that the diference between multiplats is also minimal.

Dantus12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dantus12
Member since 2010 • 231 Posts

Im primary a PC gamer,possesing both consoles,what seems to me is that people sometimes are putting graphics quality equal to art direction or style of a game.From the stand of being a PC gamer used to superor graphics I noticed diferences that are way more game engine specific than console specific.

There is nothing spectacular in Alan Wake exept that the game executes "atmosphere"in a great way,similar the way Uncharted2 executes the neccesary pace,and tie in in the environments.Alan Wake plays a genre specific "personal tie in".

The differnce is realy game specific and gets glaring when hooking up my PC to the same TV,were the XBOX and PS3 vere before only to discover that comparation screenshoots on the net are irelevant,to a computer with the same system spec but a different TV type.And the funny thing about it is that even a lower resolution of my PC`s monitor looks superior to my TV and it`s a LCD TV.

My experience with the PS3 was always showing richer and more vivid colors,while the sharpness or clearance of the XBOX was stronger.

It seems that some engines are simply dealing better with the XBOX.Gears of war2 is for example the only game that is able to properly utilize tessellation on the Xbox.That allows richer foliage and more details.The Uncharted engine is going with the main CPU for heavy environmental tasks and that is one of the thing done right with the games visuals.So im rather unbiased towards both consoles and putting aside my own art style or genre type preferences I still think that the PS3 is having slightly "prettier "looks, while the Xbox in specific genres appeals more because it seems clearer.