The gap may be widening... 360 / PS3.

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44328 Posts

At least this analysis from Gamasutra seems to conclude.

I dunno, seemed good SW stuff so comment if you feel like it. :P

The Story.

---

Just the last few paragraphs, for the full read:http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30316/Analysis_Xbox_360_S_Model_Tracking_Ahead_of_PS3_Slim.php

None of the above estimation takes into account Microsoft's first ace in the hole: Halo: Reach. According to analyst Doug Creutz of Cowen and Company, sales of that title could reach 3.6 million units in September alone. Sales at that level could add $250 million to Microsoft's software revenue, and just from a single title. We also expect that hardware sales for September will easily exceed 400,000 units.

Microsoft's second ace is its ability to drop its hardware prices at the time of its own choosing. Provided its hardware sales remain strong through the end of the year – and we see no reason for them to slow down – it can easily afford a $50 price drop on all its systems in early 2011. We feel the Xbox 360 offers a superior value, and at $150 the Arcade model could do exceptionally well throughout next year.

Whether Kinect, the new motion control technology launching on the Xbox 360 in November 2010, will represent a significant factor in the system's sales remains unclear to us. (For the sake of completeness, we are also not clear on Sony's strategy for its Move system.)

ArtisTool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ArtisTool
Member since 2010 • 509 Posts

I'm positive next time Sony and MS release their worldwide numbers the PS3 will be closer.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i really don't care about the gap, the only reason it was ever important to me was back in the 360 launch days to make sure that 3rd party would be interested in making multiplat games.

after that was a sure thing i had no interest in who came in second place in a console war.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

360 gonna be numberone before this gen ends :D

mystervj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mystervj
Member since 2010 • 2213 Posts
All US data and he's doing it wrong, first month of PS3 slim had less effect due to time restriction.
Jamani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Jamani
Member since 2004 • 1782 Posts

I'm positive next time Sony and MS release their worldwide numbers the PS3 will be closer.

ArtisTool
Wheres your proof..
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

monson21502

do you not know how far ahead the wii and pc are?

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 monson21502
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="monson21502"]

nope. but it doesnt matter. the wii days are numbered. unless they count wii hd to wii sales im betting both ps3 and 360 beat it out in the next for years.
elcoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 elcoholic
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts

Haven't all Halo fans bought a 360 console when halo 3 launched? I seea largerconsole sales boost for ps3 when GT5 launches that Reach has given 360.

Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Indie_Hitman
Member since 2008 • 2457 Posts
Key word 'may' because, lets be honest, we dont have a clue.
Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Indie_Hitman
[QUOTE="monson21502"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="monson21502"]

nope. but it doesnt matter. the wii days are numbered. unless they count wii hd to wii sales im betting both ps3 and 360 beat it out in the next for years.

They're numbered, yes. The wii fad will be over and Nintendos money rollercoster will be over... when Wii 2 hits.Then they'll be on the money battle cruiser.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice

Key word 'may' because, lets be honest, we dont have a clue.Indie_Hitman
Hmm, Gamasutra's analysis is a Clue and they are no slouch but if you had said we haven't All the Facts yet, then I'd agree. :P

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 monson21502

Indie_Hitman

They're numbered, yes. The wii fad will be over and Nintendos money rollercoster will be over... when Wii 2 hits.Then they'll be on the money battle cruiser.

there wont be a wii 2. nintendo has never ever used the same controller or even the same system name

Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Indie_Hitman

[QUOTE="Indie_Hitman"][QUOTE="monson21502"]nope. but it doesnt matter. the wii days are numbered. unless they count wii hd to wii sales im betting both ps3 and 360 beat it out in the next for years.monson21502

there wont be a wii 2. nintendo has never ever used the same controller or even the same system name

Ok then, Super wii or wiicube or WES
ArtisTool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ArtisTool
Member since 2010 • 509 Posts
[QUOTE="ArtisTool"]

Jamani
Wheres your proof..

What are you talking about?
bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts
I predicted next months npd will be 700k for 360 and its looking like i may be right. And thats not even counting ww sales wow
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Question: Is MS making any money out of the X360 with so many price-drops and early high failure rate? Didn't they lost millions and millions of dollars in the warranties and now the Analyst is suggesting another price-drop?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SecretPolice

Question: Is MS making any money out of the X360 with so many price-drops and early high failure rate? Didn't they lost millions and millions of dollars in the warranties and now the Analyst is suggesting another price-drop?

Gue1

In reality I think the gaming div. has been in the black for a couple years now. :o

omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts

All i see are speculations which i have some on my own, i expect the PS3 to outsell the x360 when the PS3 hits the 200$ point, the x360 wouldn't have a chance even if it was for free?!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="monson21502"]

lol pc how do you propose to quantify the pc's sales? GPUs? lol
Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Indie_Hitman
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

In reality I think the gaming div. has been in the black for a couple years now. :o

A month or two back was a table of figures for MS and Sony. MS is 4 billion in the red and Sony is 2 billion in the red. Or was it 6 and 4...
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

Indie_Hitman

A month or two back was a table of figures for MS and Sony. MS is 4 billion in the red and Sony is 2 billion in the red. Or was it 6 and 4...

Can you post a link? I'd like to see that.

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts
[QUOTE="Indie_Hitman"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

Didnt MS make over 1 billion in revenue last year on XBL alone?? And MS also stated that halo reach is set to bring in over 2 billon in revenue in its lifetime sales. I think they are doing pretty well.
Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Indie_Hitman
[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="Indie_Hitman"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]In reality I think the gaming div. has been in the black for a couple years now. :o

XD I'll try. To google!
tbolt76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 tbolt76
Member since 2008 • 987 Posts

[QUOTE="Indie_Hitman"][QUOTE="monson21502"]nope. but it doesnt matter. the wii days are numbered. unless they count wii hd to wii sales im betting both ps3 and 360 beat it out in the next for years.monson21502

Nintendo/Super Nintendo Gamboy/Gameboy Advanced/Gameboy Color/Gameboy Micro/Gameboy DS/Gameboy DS Lite/Gameboy DSi/Gameboy DS XL. Yeah, Nintendo NEVER uses the same name twice.
wizardwd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wizardwd
Member since 2006 • 606 Posts

Haven't all Halo fans bought a 360 console when halo 3 launched? I seea largerconsole sales boost for ps3 when GT5 launches that Reach has given 360.

elcoholic
I would have agreed with you if the new Slim model hadn't launched. Most people know that older models are more at risk of getting the RROD, so it would be normal to see them changing to the new Slim model.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29835 Posts

eh, perhaps. i'm no analyst, but my guesstimate is that, world wide, ps3 is closing the gap, though i don't think they'll ever match 360 sales numbers.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

[QUOTE="Indie_Hitman"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]In reality I think the gaming div. has been in the black for a couple years now. :o

waltefmoney

If it happens to be true, I think it is their life-to-date figures for the entire console division of the companies. MS lost a TON of money on the Xbox and didn't profit on the Xbox 360 until 2008. That division's net revenue was several billion dollars in the red before the Xbox 360 ever released. The Xbox 360 however, is in the black now. Sony was WAY in the the black before the PS3(in case you didn't know, the PS2 was kind of a big deal) was released but has been in the red since then.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
Analysts, predictions, meh, we'll just see when the #'s are out.
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
yet somehow everytime MS and Sony release their WORLDWIDE numbers (not just NPD), PS3 is closer than it was the previous year. I wonder how that works. And LOL at any analyst saying Kinect will represent significant sales to the X360 hardware............I mean seriously, these people are being paid by MS to say this. At least Sony admits it doesn't predict sales to be big but MS is claiming it's going to be huge lol.
tbolt76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tbolt76
yet somehow everytime MS and Sony release their WORLDWIDE numbers (not just NPD), PS3 is closer than it was the previous year. I wonder how that works. And LOL at any analyst saying Kinect will represent significant sales to the X360 hardware............I mean seriously, these people are being paid by MS to say this. At least Sony admits it doesn't predict sales to be big but MS is claiming it's going to be huge lol.darthogre
There is a reason. Move represents nothing new or interesting, while Kinect is new and interesting.
Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Indie_Hitman
[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

A month or two back was a table of figures for MS and Sony. MS is 4 billion in the red and Sony is 2 billion in the red. Or was it 6 and 4...Indie_Hitman

If it happens to be true, I think it is their life-to-date figures for the entire console division of the companies. MS lost a TON of money on the Xbox and didn't profit on the Xbox 360 until 2008. That division's net revenue was several billion dollars in the red before the Xbox 360 ever released. The Xbox 360 however, is in the black now. Sony was WAY in the the black before the PS3(in case you didn't know, the PS2 was kind of a big deal) was released but has been in the red since then.

Oh were we only talking 360? (Still looking for the link). Quite an incredible shift by Sony.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

Indie_Hitman

Microsoft is only 4 billion in the red if you count the original Xbox, the current xbox is at 2 billion at the red (and decreasing, the console has been producing stead proffit since 2008 )

the PS3 is at 3-4 billion in the red tough

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

ArtisTool
You will probably be positively wrong as well. The XBox 360 is outselling the PS3 in Europe as well, in every country. Only in Japan is the PS3 #1 right now and it's not by a huge margin (15K-20K).
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

[QUOTE="monson21502"]

CaseyWegner

PC? LOL!! There's no hardware to count for the PC? Graphic cards? No!! Maybe OnLive could be counted. That's really the only dedicated PC playing piece of hardware on the market right now.
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
[QUOTE="darthogre"]yet somehow everytime MS and Sony release their WORLDWIDE numbers (not just NPD), PS3 is closer than it was the previous year. I wonder how that works. And LOL at any analyst saying Kinect will represent significant sales to the X360 hardware............I mean seriously, these people are being paid by MS to say this. At least Sony admits it doesn't predict sales to be big but MS is claiming it's going to be huge lol.tbolt76
There is a reason. Move represents nothing new or interesting, while Kinect is new and interesting.

Well you are half right, Kinect is new.............oh wait, the PS Eye has been out of years so you are wrong on both accounts.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
[QUOTE="ArtisTool"]

blackace
You will probably be positively wrong as well. The XBox 360 is outselling the PS3 in Europe as well, in every country. Only in Japan is the PS3 #1 right now and it's not by a huge margin (15K-20K).

What Europe numbers are you using? UK? EVERY YEAR we see people posting NPD and a few UK numbers and EVERY YEAR when Sony and MS release their worldwide numbers the PS3 is closing the gap. This has spanned price drops and Halo releases for the 360 as well.
tbolt76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tbolt76
[QUOTE="tbolt76"][QUOTE="darthogre"]yet somehow everytime MS and Sony release their WORLDWIDE numbers (not just NPD), PS3 is closer than it was the previous year. I wonder how that works. And LOL at any analyst saying Kinect will represent significant sales to the X360 hardware............I mean seriously, these people are being paid by MS to say this. At least Sony admits it doesn't predict sales to be big but MS is claiming it's going to be huge lol.darthogre

Well you are half right, Kinect is new.............oh wait, the PS Eye has been out of years so you are wrong on both accounts.

Get off the "PS Eye is as good as Kinect" nonsense. If that were the case, Sony would not have re-purposed it. Move is a Wii clone while Kinect is something the masses have yet to see. Not to mention, the price of entry to Move is prohibitive.
mystervj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mystervj
Member since 2010 • 2213 Posts
[QUOTE="darthogre"][QUOTE="tbolt76"] There is a reason. Move represents nothing new or interesting, while Kinect is new and interesting.tbolt76

Get off the "PS Eye is as good as Kinect" nonsense. If that were the case, Sony would not have re-purposed it. Move is a Wii clone while Kinect is something the masses have yet to see. Not to mention, the price of entry to Move is prohibitive.

Price of entry for Kinect is pretty horrendous too. The public already saw Eyetoy, it's very similar to Kinect, both technologies are upgrades.
thrillh0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thrillh0
Member since 2008 • 335 Posts

I predicted next months npd will be 700k for 360 and its looking like i may be right. And thats not even counting ww sales wowbigboss5ak

Definitely going to see the Reach effect next month in NPD.... was at BBuy this morning to pick up Reach and all they had left was a few Arcarde models. Sales dude said it was a madhouse there Tues night.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Neither are struggling, so it seems rather moot to me.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="monson21502"]

lol pc how do you propose to quantify the pc's sales? GPUs? lol

If only some of you would learn about the actual system before speaking on it.
nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

keyword sholud be unlikely unless they are suggesting that xbox 360 new hardware and halo reach would diminish the 2 million shipment difference which were between ps3 and xbox 360 in the last 2 quarters. But there is a chance that this quarter xbox 360 outsells it by a couple 100 thousand units (no way it is going to be in the millions no one is that stupid here) just to in effect have a holiday season similar to 2009.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61551 Posts

It's possible, but the question is, even if so will it continue to widen? PS3 recently has shown itself to be a contender this generation (though a little late), and the release of the S and S Arcade so close to Reach was a good idea (offer new hardware close to a game people are itching to play), but still, will it have the long road appeal that it once did?

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

Going off the past few years, I doubt it.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
WooHoo! Gaming = Kinect from now on.
Avatar image for SexySasquatch11
SexySasquatch11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SexySasquatch11
Member since 2008 • 500 Posts

elcoholic

How stupid are people now-a-days. Its ok I'm here now so let me inform you with some information you seem to be lacking. First off yes everyone who wanted a 360 for Halo has already gotten one by now. But all 8 million of their 360 red ringed and they had no reason to buy another 360 till now. So by doing that Microsoft gets another 8 mil Xboxs sold overnight. Then in 6 months when the next Halo game comes out and all the new 360s red ring people will go out and get another 360. Smart business move on MS part. Now you know why the 3rd iteration of a system seller will sell systems.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

[QUOTE="monson21502"]

So your 360 is still struggling to secure and maintain 3rd place in a 4-system war? Rejoice.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

[QUOTE="elcoholic"]

SexySasquatch11

How stupid are people now-a-days. Its ok I'm here now so let me inform you with some information you seem to be lacking. First off yes everyone who wanted a 360 for Halo has already gotten one by now. But all 8 million of their 360 red ringed and they had no reason to buy another 360 till now. So by doing that Microsoft gets another 8 mil Xboxs sold overnight. Then in 6 months when the next Halo game comes out and all the new 360s red ring people will go out and get another 360. Smart business move on MS part. Now you know why the 3rd iteration of a system seller will sell systems.

This is the truth, some consumers are like lemmings :P
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61551 Posts

PC? LOL!! There's no hardware to count for the PC? Graphic cards? No!! Maybe OnLive could be counted. That's really the only dedicated PC playing piece of hardware on the market right now. blackace

What's the count for total dedicated gaming consoles? Determining total by how dedicated they are to a specific function won't give a reliable number. How many people bought a PS3 as the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market at release?