The GameInformer Halo: Reach Screens *56k Insert Witty Saying Here*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

siddhu33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#751 siddhu33
Member since 2008 • 3264 Posts

Everyone this batch of pics are pre-thanksgiving

www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19384611&postcount=7137

MC3887

I guess the Obligatory "HA HA, THIS IS OLD NEWS!!!!" is necessary.

But in All seriousness, it is old news... Just shows that this thread's gotta be closed soon.

MC3887

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#752 MC3887
Member since 2009 • 1507 Posts

[QUOTE="MC3887"]

siddhu33

But in All seriousness, it is old news... Just shows that this thread's gotta be closed soon.

Someone posted the link before me?

Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#753 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts
[QUOTE="MangaJ"]

[QUOTE="SpiritOfFire117"][QUOTE="nitromuffin"]

looks like halo 3 to me just with a diffrent enemy. hope they add better weapons

It's the same enemy (with the possibility of human insurrectionists) and of course there are some new weapons.

No there's a new enemy in the screens. They're like a cousin to the Jackals.

I knew that much. I was kind of under the assumption that the poster I was replying to didn't know anything about the storyline. It was kind of wrong of me.
siddhu33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#754 siddhu33
Member since 2008 • 3264 Posts

[QUOTE="siddhu33"]

[QUOTE="MC3887"]

MC3887

Yeah, I think so.

ski11buzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#755 ski11buzz
Member since 2003 • 2117 Posts

Still looks kinda cartoony to me, i was expecting COD style graphics but set in halo universe.

Even so, i bet the game witll be AAA

MC3887

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#756 MC3887

[QUOTE="MC3887"]

[QUOTE="siddhu33"]

siddhu33

Yeah, I think so.

Yeah. I found it. Oh and all cow ownage denied.

inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#757 inertk
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

[QUOTE="inertk"][QUOTE="kingsfan_0333"]

Why are people trying to make Halo into a graphics whore? The series never relied on graphics, and it never will. That's what makes it great. Don't get me wrong, games like Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 had great visuals. Butthey don'thave anywhere near the longevity that a Halo game has. COD was never "teh graphix king"...but again, it has the gameplay depth that keep people coming back.

kingsfan_0333

It's not exactly ludicrous to expect Microsoft's largest title to look the best, or at least as good as the other top-tier games available -- especially considering the budget and resources the team must be allocated. Especially what, 3 years after their first showing -- which had the old engine as an excuse for it's lackluster presentation. Naturally you can understand how people's expectations weren't fulfilled by these screenshots, forgetting the lofty expectations created by what I said above, but even compared to the trailer they released not so long ago. Even if the final product is the best looking game ever imagined, what we're being shown here doesn't really impress me. But again, I'd rather wait for gameplay footage.

None of the previous Halo installments had the best graphics outin their respective times- so expecting this game to be ground breaking in the graphics department is an expectation that deviates from what Bungie is focused on. They've always been focused on giving an all-around complete product. None of the other proposed "graphics kings" have anywhere near the amount of depth that Halo 3 had. And the results are evident. Offline coop/multiplayer 4 player splitscreen, online with 4 player splitscreen, forge, theater, internet uploading/downloading etc. If you are a graphics kind of guy, than that's great. But I'd rather have solid graphics and more features. And Bungie seems to think the same.

"Naturally you can understand how people's expectations weren't fulfilled by these screenshots"...who's fault is that? How stupid do you have to be toexpect top notch screenshots from a game thatisn't due for another 8-12 months. Not only that, the screens weren't dated, so who knows how early they were taken. I know this is system wars, and logic is hard to come by...but be reasonable. I'm starting to think that common sense isn't so common anymore.

Wait, I'm not being reasonable? I thought I was being quite nice compared to the majority of people in this thread, but whatever. To your point I agree completely, just I'd think that 3 years later, the same trade-offs we had to experience in Halo 3 wouldn't be evident here. And this is before we've actually seen realtime grabs, as opposed to the typical press shots we've become to accustom to nowadays - so honestly it could go either way. I wasn't even expecting the best looking graphics (It's Bungie afterall), but I WAS expecting a tangible upgrade next to Halo 3. *But* if we were to use common sense, Halo Reach wouldn't even look like those screenshots, I mean -- Halo 3 didn't resemble the quality of it's 1st trailer, nor even the 1st screenshot Bungie released to us, a year before release. Wouldn't common sense dictate that Reach will follow the same inevitable pattern, looking at whats come before? Luckily, I'm not as cynical as I seem. :)
MC3887

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#758 MC3887

[QUOTE="kingsfan_0333"]

[QUOTE="inertk"] It's not exactly ludicrous to expect Microsoft's largest title to look the best, or at least as good as the other top-tier games available -- especially considering the budget and resources the team must be allocated. Especially what, 3 years after their first showing -- which had the old engine as an excuse for it's lackluster presentation. Naturally you can understand how people's expectations weren't fulfilled by these screenshots, forgetting the lofty expectations created by what I said above, but even compared to the trailer they released not so long ago. Even if the final product is the best looking game ever imagined, what we're being shown here doesn't really impress me. But again, I'd rather wait for gameplay footage. inertk

None of the previous Halo installments had the best graphics outin their respective times- so expecting this game to be ground breaking in the graphics department is an expectation that deviates from what Bungie is focused on. They've always been focused on giving an all-around complete product. None of the other proposed "graphics kings" have anywhere near the amount of depth that Halo 3 had. And the results are evident. Offline coop/multiplayer 4 player splitscreen, online with 4 player splitscreen, forge, theater, internet uploading/downloading etc. If you are a graphics kind of guy, than that's great. But I'd rather have solid graphics and more features. And Bungie seems to think the same.

"Naturally you can understand how people's expectations weren't fulfilled by these screenshots"...who's fault is that? How stupid do you have to be toexpect top notch screenshots from a game thatisn't due for another 8-12 months. Not only that, the screens weren't dated, so who knows how early they were taken. I know this is system wars, and logic is hard to come by...but be reasonable. I'm starting to think that common sense isn't so common anymore.

Wait, I'm not being reasonable? I thought I was being quite nice compared to the majority of people in this thread, but whatever. To your point I agree completely, just I'd think that 3 years later, the same trade-offs we had to experience in Halo 3 wouldn't be evident here. And this is before we've actually seen realtime grabs, as opposed to the typical press shots we've become to accustom to nowadays - so honestly it could go either way. I wasn't even expecting the best looking graphics (It's Bungie afterall), but I WAS expecting a tangible upgrade next to Halo 3. *But* if we were to use common sense, Halo Reach wouldn't even look like those screenshots, I mean -- Halo 3 didn't resemble the quality of it's 1st trailer, nor even the 1st screenshot Bungie released to us, a year before release. Wouldn't common sense dictate that Reach will follow the same inevitable pattern, looking at whats come before? Luckily, I'm not as cynical as I seem. :)

Seriously though those screens are from pre-thanksgiving, besides the AA that is exactly what those screens look like. Also, it looks better than halo 3 already and they have alot of time to improve even further what if they gave us batches from the new build and it blew us away, who knows.

inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#759 inertk

[QUOTE="inertk"][QUOTE="kingsfan_0333"]

MC3887

Seriously though those screens are from pre-thanksgiving, besides the AA that is exactly what those screens look like. Also, it looks better than halo 3 already and they have alot of time to improve even further what if they gave us batches from the new build and it blew us away, who knows.

Well, apart from the AA+AF. But yeah, who knows how the game will look when it finally releases -- there's nothing more I'd enjoy than an amazing looking Halo. The thing is, I can only judge what's been shown to me. I don't exactly hold on to the hope that *any* game will look substantially better compared to the first media anymore, as it's not really consistent across the board and especially not with Halo in my experience. Which is exactly why I keep saying I'll wait until they're at the point where they'll show us gameplay footage before coming to any grand conclusions. I think I've been pretty reasonable. I'm hardly frothing at the mouth like the rest of the fanboy masses.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#760 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

[QUOTE="urdead18"]

To anyone who claims this game will be graphics king:

:D

EDIT: Also, the character in the first screen looks like a fruitcake.

scarface_dm

Who cares, I'd much rather call it Replay Value-King!!! 8)

cant wait for this awesome game

The Phantom looks like a fruit?
Hathesulacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#761 Hathesulacon
Member since 2008 • 1374 Posts

Im just rolling. If I took pre alpha screen shots of God of War 3, and said theyre not graphics king I dont think anyone would be surprised. lololol

SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#762 SpiritOfFire117
[QUOTE="cainetao11"][QUOTE="scarface_dm"]

[QUOTE="urdead18"]

To anyone who claims this game will be graphics king:

:D

EDIT: Also, the character in the first screen looks like a fruitcake.

Who cares, I'd much rather call it Replay Value-King!!! 8)

cant wait for this awesome game

The Phantom looks like a fruit?

I remembered him picking an arguement with me over me saying the game looked "nice". I'm pretty sure he edited that from looking at my sig.
Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#763 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts

How do we decide what game is worthy "Console graphics king"?

UC2 and KZ2 are both very polished games with very high production values but are they really technically impressive games? I think not.

To crown a console graphics king you have to look at the whole picture not only the small selected parts that conveniently look good to you.

Zoom in on a few rock textures in KZ2 and compare the rock textures to those in another game, and the game with the best textures is the winner right? No!

So what about UC2 and KZ2, and I want the Cows to tell me why they think these two games are worthy console graphics king. Corridor games, linear (less to render), scripted physics, fake shadows and lightning, 2D skybox, limited interaction and limited animated objects on screen.

Do these two games really sound like console graphics kings to you? If you have to sacrifice and cut out 90% of the technical features just to get a few nice models on screen, is it worth it? UC2 might fool the new-comer but veteran gamers will look deeper and see all the things that are missing.

Is reach the new console graphics king, maybe. Untill I see the finnishes product it is very hard to estimate how taxating this game really is.

fireballonfire
All I got out of this post is that you've never played Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2.
inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#764 inertk
[QUOTE="fireballonfire"]

UC2 and KZ2 are both very polished games with very high production values but are they really technically impressive games? I think not.

To crown a console graphics king you have to look at the whole picture not only the small selected parts that conveniently look good to you.

Zoom in on a few rock textures in KZ2 and compare the rock textures to those in another game, and the game with the best textures is the winner right? No!

So what about UC2 and KZ2, and I want the Cows to tell me why they think these two games are worthy console graphics king. Corridor games, linear (less to render), scripted physics, fake shadows and lightning, 2D skybox, limited interaction and limited animated objects on screen.

Do these two games really sound like console graphics kings to you? If you have to sacrifice and cut out 90% of the technical features just to get a few nice models on screen, is it worth it? UC2 might fool the new-comer but veteran gamers will look deeper and see all the things that are missing.

Is reach the new console graphics king, maybe. Untill I see the finnishes product it is very hard to estimate how taxating this game really is.

Messiahbolical-
All I got out of this post is that you've never played Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2.

Yep, it couldn't be more obvious. Don't be fooled though, as a Veteran Gamer he'll come back to educate us on the scripted physics and fake shadows Killzone and UC have deceived us all with.
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#766 SpiritOfFire117
^^^^^^ That almost deserves its own thread. This one is alittle....worn.
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#767 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"][QUOTE="fireballonfire"]

inertk

Yep, it couldn't be more obvious. Don't be fooled though, as a Veteran Gamer he'll come back to educate us on the scripted physics and fake shadows Killzone and UC have deceived us all with.

haha yes but since when has KZ2 and Uncharted 2 Benn just Hallway and Corridor games?...that rumor is just falce and anyone who has played the game should kno this...heck lems make it sound like if it was a linear game it would have killer graphics and i say to them bull....plenty of games that are open world have great graphics this gen....
Avatar image for devilsoultaker2
devilsoultaker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#768 devilsoultaker2
Member since 2009 • 904 Posts
with 4 co op and large scale battles
Hathesulacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#769 Hathesulacon
Member since 2008 • 1374 Posts

[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"][QUOTE="fireballonfire"]

inertk

Cows ignore logic/facts am confirmd

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#770 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
with 4 co op and large scale battlesdevilsoultaker2
I like how they said that it'll have everything that 3 had. Forge and Theater for the win! Maybe it'll have firefight too.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#771 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
[QUOTE="devilsoultaker2"]with 4 co op and large scale battlesSparkyProtocol
I like how they said that it'll have everything that 3 had. Forge and Theater for the win! Maybe it'll have firefight too.

It must have FF.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#772 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

still is using Halo 3 engine which was made off of the Halo 2 engine. Fail is fail. kinda like how sony siad teh Cell a super computer chip. Both lie, hooray for eveness.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#773 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Looks pretty good for a game that apparently takes place in an entirely open world.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#774 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

haha yes but since when has KZ2 and Uncharted 2 Benn just Hallway and Corridor games?...that rumor is just falce and anyone who has played the game should kno this...heck lems make it sound like if it was a linear game it would have killer graphics and i say to them bull....plenty of games that are open world have great graphics this gen....stereointegrity

Excuse me? I've played through Uncharted 2 and it's entirely linear with little to no deviation afforded to the player.

I can't comment on Killzone 2 because I haven't played it yet but to say that Uncharted 2 is anything but a strictly linear affair is false.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#775 painguy1

Looks pretty good for a game that apparently takes place in an entirely open world.

The_Game21x

ahem *cough* *cough* ack pteww......Crysis......:|

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#776 SaltyMeatballs

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

painguy1

He said pretty good, which means Crysis looks amazing... and yeah it does.
Puffinuffigus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#777 Puffinuffigus
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="devilsoultaker2"]with 4 co op and large scale battlesSparkyProtocol

Oh I hope so. But it better have matchmaking. If it doesn't :| ... GET IT THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!!! :x
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#778 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

SaltyMeatballs

He said pretty good, which means Crysis looks amazing... and yeah it does.

haha i was just messing with him. of ocurse i dont blame u for taking me seriously, were in system wars after all. Sarcasm doesnt exist hehe :P

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#779 SaltyMeatballs
[QUOTE="SparkyProtocol"][QUOTE="devilsoultaker2"]with 4 co op and large scale battlesPuffinuffigus

Oh I hope so. But it better have matchmaking. If it doesn't :| ... GET IT THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!!! :x

Ditto.
LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#780 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

Oh here comes the bloom.:( At least most of the rocks are unreflectivy. I thought this was supposed to be darker looking (no glamour)?