uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59400 Posts

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-28-the-fall-of-swedish-game-wonder-starbreeze

A very interesting article on how they went hit, to hit in the face with a sloppy sausage.

Highlights -

Multiple people who worked on The Walking Dead project - and others within Starbreeze who worked on other projects going on at the time, such as Payday 2 DLC, Raid: World War 2, a co-op take on Korean FPS Crossfire for publisher Smilegate, and virtual reality projects, told Eurogamer the company suffered from mismanagement. According to staff, Starbreeze producers caused huge problems that affected not only the quality of the company's products, but the mental health of the people who built them. The Walking Dead, however, seemed to suffer in particular. From unreasonable demands ("Let's make it like The Division! / No, we don't have nine months to put that together...") to dramatic changes ("I've been playing a game all weekend and I've got this great idea, let's do an exploding zombie! / You've been playing Dying Light..."), staff struggled to cope with a project that had no cohesive vision or leadership. "Every day there would be a different change," one person said.

"I need the game designer to tell me the intention of his design, so I can make something the user will follow," another said. "In most cases the reasoning behind stuff was the game they played over the weekend. You would hear stuff like, can we have this like Far Cry? We start making it, and two weeks later, can we have this like Assassin's Creed? Dude, just tell me what you want to do, and I'll make it so. Don't worry. Just tell me what you want to happen."

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25089 Posts

The reason for fall of starbreeze is they never made a good game after this masterpiece

This game was one of the best game of all time. and literally almost perfect game. kinda shame how starbreeze has fallen.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

Machinegames was the best thing to come out of Starbreeze.

I can't say I feel bad about Starbreeze disappearing.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Most the people that made that game left the company.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:

Machinegames was the best thing to come out of Starbreeze.

I can't say I feel bad about Starbreeze disappearing.

No its not. after starbreeze they made 2 (technically 3) of most mediocre and some of the worst FPS games ever made.

absolutely terrible. comparing Riddick to wolfenstein is like comparing Diamond to trash.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Riddick was good, really good, but best game of all time bwahahahaha, no matter what you post you just come off as a complete joke with very limited gaming experience.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

Unpopular opinion: I liked Syndicate (2012) enough. For what it had for a good, immersive atmosphere, and very fun gunplay mechanics... its execution with the story was shoddy at best. Oh, and can't forget about the 'bloom' mechanic it had. Playing with the gamma slider in graphics will remind people of what I mean. ;)

I kinda wanted to see a sequel to it. That's not going to happen now it seems.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I only ever played 2 games from these guys but the 2 I did play were awesome in Enclave & The Darkness.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44699 Posts

Last game of theirs I played was Syndicate, I enjoyed that one.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

@getyeryayasout said:

So disappointed in Starbreez's spotty track record. They came out with the masterpiece Riddick, but it's been all downhill since. They're like the M Night Shyamalan of game development.

A fairly apt accurate description. Would apply it to Crytek as well.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts

Sounds like they were working on some awful shit.

Whatever. Their prime days of The Darkness and Riddick are long gone.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

The reason for fall of starbreeze is they never made a good game after this masterpiece

This game was one of the best game of all time. and literally almost perfect game. kinda shame how starbreeze has fallen.

Yeah, Riddick was pretty amazing for its time. The visuals were seriously impressive. A simple increase in resolution and texture detail and it wouldn't be far off from a 360/PS3 era game. I'd argue that The Darkness was quite a good game too, not as groundbreaking as Riddick but still a fun and stylish SP FPS.

Edit: Riddick was actually one of the first games I played when I got an Xbox. I can distinctly remember my dad getting pissed off at me shooting a corpse in the face repeatedly because I was so impressed by the blood decals.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

No its not. after starbreeze they made 2 (technically 3) of most mediocre and some of the worst FPS games ever made.

absolutely terrible. comparing Riddick to wolfenstein is like comparing Diamond to trash.

Meh, Starbreeze only made a couple of games that I liked.

So far every Machine Games product has been a hit.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#15 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17923 Posts

They definitely went downhill after Riddick. That game was really good.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 uninspiredcup

That was a really creepy episode, the bad special effects made the alien more unsettling.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever

@vfighter said:

@ghosts4ever: Riddick was good, really good, but best game of all time bwahahahaha, no matter what you post you just come off as a complete joke with very limited gaming experience.

read again. i said one of the best game not best and yes it was really really really that good. one of the most badass game i have ever played.

i was young at that time and i was completely blown away.