The End Of Hardcore Gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Geetarman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Geetarman42
Member since 2007 • 181 Posts

With the Nintendo Wii outselling both the 360 & PS3 it makes you think about the next generation gaming consoles. If cheaper casual systems sell more, why won't the next generation systems be made mostly of these casual elements? Will all the next systems have motion controls and touch screens that Nintendo has pioneered so well? Both Microsoft & Sony are trying to bring these elements of casual play to their current systems with casual games, social networking and new peripherals. So this brings me to my point, is their no room for hardcore games or systems in the future generation or will we be forced to play casual sh*t for an eternity. What are your thoughts?

bluej33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#2 bluej33
Member since 2007 • 687 Posts
I think that the casual thing isn't going to last long. After a while people are going to get tired of the Wii -- it's dumbed down. Maybe that'll get them into gaming, but I find it hard to believe that these casuals are going to keep on eating up the insultingly simple games Nintendo is giving to them. I'll bet money that Nintendo rolls out a Wii 2 in the next couple of years, but I don't think it'll do so well. In a generation or so, we should be back to the more traditional hardcore gaming. Maybe we'll have a larger base thanks to the casual movement of Nintendo, but frankly I just think it's a market that isn't going to last.
Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

I think PC will remain as the hardcore platform, but consoles will become more casual oriented, what the big 3 need to do is find a balance between Casual and hardcore

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts
Blizzard's big 3 (WoW, SC2, D3) alone will keep the market alive for the next 10 years. I think you need to chill out.
bamafan1359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 bamafan1359
Member since 2008 • 487 Posts
I'm not seeing it. The hardcore created gaming as it is today and they won't let it change.
Squall18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Squall18
Member since 2004 • 3756 Posts

Blizzard's big 3 (WoW, SC2, D3) alone will keep the market alive for the next 10 years. I think you need to chill out.Koalakommander

^ what he said.

And besides, I consider myself more hardcore of a gamer due to newer online services these days. It's great playing single player games and playing stories on co-op. Beating halo 3 on co-op on launch night was such a great memory.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
Hardcore is relative. one could say Hardcore died out when Joysticks stopped being used. or when Arcades died. it's all a matter of perspective.
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
oh boy more doom mongering
blitzkid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blitzkid1
Member since 2008 • 3952 Posts
Cry me a river.
chazasul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 chazasul
Member since 2003 • 3852 Posts
All that's happening is that gaming is become much more mainstream. There will still be as much for the hardcore gamer if not more in the future. Just a whole lot more casual stuff too.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts

Let me say this:

That messaeg has been repeated many times in gaming history. Happened with the PS1, I believe, and I'm pretty sure there were a few people who said hardcore gaming would die with the NES (irony being that gaming was already moribund). Hardcore gaming is not in danger, and companies have never targeted hardcore gamers exclusively, with the sole exception of the Neo Geo.

xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts
if next gen comes down to all home consoles from ms, ninty, and sony just using a wii mote and waggle as there controller than im done with that gen. i like the 360 controller the most but i also like having a controller and sitting back and shooting guys down whatever. waggle ftl imo.
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
If casual gaming takes over, there may not even BE a "next gen" of consoles, since casual gamers would rather buy a cheap console with medium graphics instead of an expensive console with good graphics. Why buy a PS4 for $700 when you can buy a slim PS3 for $200 along with a massive games library?
anubis8515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 anubis8515
Member since 2003 • 780 Posts
Just because the wii is out selling the ps3 and 360 right now. You need to look at Software sells the ps3 and 360 sell more software. So no end of Hardcore gaming.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
Why is it so bad that Nintendo are bringing new people into gaming ? We were all casuals once, the new casual gamers will be the hardcore of tomorrow. Hardcore gaming is not going to die, theire are plenty of people who are interested in hardcore games like those interested in casual games.
Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

It's great playing single player games and playing stories on co-op. Beating halo 3 on co-op on launch night was such a great memory. Squall18

And what makes it hard core?

Its CASUAL you cant get more CASUAL than that - siting on sofa,playing game with friend

THIS IS HARDCORE

finishing Mario for 5 minute

To finish it so fast,you have to know every level,than you need to know best possible routes,you need to know enemy movement,EVERYDAMRN THING!

So what makes playing Mario on this level of "pro gaming" more casual than autoaimed Halo 3?

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

naw...hardcore gamers are usually willing to pay even more money for products...look at Nvidia (and the companies that manufactor the graphics cards)...nearly every year they churn out a $600 dollar graphics card...Hardcore PC gamers are still willing to run out and buy it for a 10% increase in preformance...

I have friends that only own 2 or 3 games for whatever console they decided to buy...they are shocked when they see just how many games I own.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hewkii

If casual gaming takes over, there may not even BE a "next gen" of consoles, since casual gamers would rather buy a cheap console with medium graphics instead of an expensive console with good graphics. Why buy a PS4 for $700 when you can buy a slim PS3 for $200 along with a massive games library?PandaBear86

no, it'll just mean longer generations, which, according to several people here, is something that's desired a fair amount.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts

With the Nintendo Wii outselling both the 360 & PS3 it makes you think about the next generation gaming consoles. If cheaper casual systems sell more, why won't the next generation systems be made mostly of these casual elements? Will all the next systems have motion controls and touch screens that Nintendo has pioneered so well? Both Microsoft & Sony are trying to bring these elements of casual play to their current systems with casual games, social networking and new peripherals. So this brings me to my point, is their no room for hardcore games or systems in the future generation or will we be forced to play casual sh*t for an eternity. What are your thoughts?

Geetarman42
maybe on console but not PC!!!!
Geetarman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Geetarman42
Member since 2007 • 181 Posts
With that being said, I still don't like the idea of the main focus being primarily directed on casual games in the future.
Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lidve

And anyone who thinks their console is "hardcore" is delusional.

I mean face it. Its simple - easy to use - plug and play device. THERE IS NOTHING HARDCORE ABOUT IT

When you do this to play Crysis with +5 fps gain THAN YOU ARE HARDCORE

haemorrhagiae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 haemorrhagiae
Member since 2008 • 617 Posts

Wii era madness is going to stop soon.

-Master_St3ve-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -Master_St3ve-
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts

Blizzard's big 3 (WoW, SC2, D3) alone will keep the market alive for the next 10 years. I think you need to chill out.Koalakommander

WoW is a pretty casual mmo.

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lidve

[QUOTE="Koalakommander"]Blizzard's big 3 (WoW, SC2, D3) alone will keep the market alive for the next 10 years. I think you need to chill out.-Master_St3ve-

WoW is a pretty casual mmo.

Wow is one of games that are easy to learn and hard to master. Even housewife can play wow,but she cant get UBERL337HAX0rzOMG items etc.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#25 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts

I mean face it. Its simple - easy to use - plug and play device. THERE IS NOTHING HARDCORE ABOUT IT

Lidve

There are many other things to do that make you hardcore, and I've done them? I've barely touched PC gaming, but I've beaten several games entirely in Japanese (despite not understanding it). That's definitely hardcore.

scarymovie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 scarymovie5
Member since 2007 • 1691 Posts
The hardcore gamers are still there, but the Wii had a bigger fanbase being hardcore gamers (fewer than other consoles) and familys.
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts

yea i would agree there is nothing hardcore about consoles check out htis mod for crysis

the graphics for crysis gets better!

http://www.xfire.com/video/166b9/

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lidve
[QUOTE="Lidve"]

Video_Game_King

There are many other things to do that make you hardcore, and I've done them? I've barely touched PC gaming, but I've beaten several games entirely in Japanese (despite not understanding it). That's definitely hardcore.

No its not,i remember some of my friends playing Japanese version of games at age of 9 and they are not hardcore. You just "guess it" and keep playing,there is nothing hardcore about it. its same when people who dont know english play english version and have no clue whats going on (like most of us do from non english countries when we are younger)

Especialy if game is not text-adventure lol

scarymovie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 scarymovie5
Member since 2007 • 1691 Posts

Sorry for double post

Lidve

I'm sorry.
Actually thats pretty cool though that you would do that for the ability to play a game, talk about dedication

-Master_St3ve-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -Master_St3ve-
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts
[QUOTE="Lidve"]

Video_Game_King

That just makes you a nerd.

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

Lidve

True, consoles are not truly hardcore since they are designed to be mass-consumer devices so that even a 9-year old can play it.. Hoiwever, consoles are more than plug and play nowadays, since you have to deal with updates, patches, mandatory installs, RROD, pay for online, etc ;)

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lidve

And even if do think that is "hardcore" what if you finished Wii japanese game that is heavily story driven like zack and wiki?

Would wee than "all of a sudden" be hardcore because you play it?

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lidve

you have to deal with updates, patches, mandatory installs, RROD, pay for online, etc ;)PandaBear86

And it is really hard :lol:

And you dont deal with RROD, service deal with it ,and even before consoles are known to be fragile pieces of hardware,i rememer my PSX one breaking dosen of times and its still not HC

anubis8515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 anubis8515
Member since 2003 • 780 Posts

The end of Hardcore gaming. Well it would have to started first for it to end. There is no such thing has Hardcore Gaming. I play x game thats makes me hardcore. Thats just laughable.

xXMcClaneXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xXMcClaneXx
Member since 2008 • 1110 Posts
with games like gears 2 resistance 2 mgs4 gta4 fallout 3 killzone 2 GOW3 ff13 star ocean banjo3 fable2 i seriously doubt it
--ProtoMan--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 --ProtoMan--
Member since 2007 • 1376 Posts
I don't get why "hardcore" gamers constantly claim that "casuals don't buy games," but that every developer and publisher will go totally casual and make TONS of money, because of the success of the Wii. It's a huge contradiction.
Cbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cbot
Member since 2004 • 678 Posts
I really hope that hardcore games die!!I got a life and don't want to spend ALL my time playing videogames
svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

if next gen comes down to all home consoles from ms, ninty, and sony just using a wii mote and waggle as there controller than im done with that gen. i like the 360 controller the most but i also like having a controller and sitting back and shooting guys down whatever. waggle ftl imo.xbox360isgr8t

It's funny you say that, since the Wiimote/nunchuk combo is the single best console controller for FPSs. Overall it's second only to the keyboard/mouse combo

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Problem is, both MS and Sony aren't sacrificing the core games for the mainstream audience. I can still get games like Dead Rising, Mass Effect and Forza 2 on the 360, games I the core gamer enjoy, while on the Wii I am finding it difficult to draw any interest from anything that has been released or is being released.

That and XBLA is a godsend to gamers like me. With titles like Ikaruga and N+ my appetite for greatness is nothing but completely satiated.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
what where those 30 mill performance gpus sold since nov been used for? they weren't bought for browsing the web.
Virus214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Virus214
Member since 2007 • 2052 Posts
as long as there are hardcore gamers out there, hardcore gaming won't die.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Hewkii

That just makes you a nerd.

-Master_St3ve-

hint: it's the same thing.

gamerfreak13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 gamerfreak13
Member since 2005 • 1796 Posts
I hope not. A world where Wiimote Call of Duty is the only Call of Duty is a world I don't want to live in.
LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts
It dosent matter to me because if the game isnt fun nobodys going to buy it.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

Why is it so bad that Nintendo are bringing new people into gaming ? We were all casuals once, the new casual gamers will be the hardcore of tomorrow. Hardcore gaming is not going to die, theire are plenty of people who are interested in hardcore games like those interested in casual games.Swift_Boss_A

Not to mention that with bridge titles like Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros., and Endless Ocean there is a definite path for casuals to follow up to hardcore level. I have almost stopped being amazed by the lack of vision and scope 99% of the people on these forums have.