The Chips Wont Matter Naughty Dog Co-Founder

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

http://gamingbolt.com/naughty-dog-co-founder-former-thq-president-on-ps4-vs-xbox-one-the-chips-wont-matter

Once drove a racetrack in mom-van with a pro driver then couldn't beat his time driving a ferrari- Its the driver, not the car

Business model, indy inclusion, price, online services, community, exclusive titles, etc. may matter. The chips won't.

I'm not a total fanboy (Xbox One first PS4 later for me) and do conceade PS4 has indy inclusion and price at this time and Xbox One has the online services.  The rest is just personal preference.  But Xbox One are looking to include indy games either directly or via the Windows 8 marketplace and can move on the price.  Traditionally PS4 had better exclusives later on but Microsoft will have learn't there lesson there. 

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

http://gamingbolt.com/naughty-dog-co-founder-former-thq-president-on-ps4-vs-xbox-one-the-chips-wont-matter

Once drove a racetrack in mom-van with a pro driver then couldn't beat his time driving a ferrari- Its the driver, not the car

Business model, indy inclusion, price, online services, community, exclusive titles, etc. may matter. The chips won't.

I'm not a total fanboy (Xbox One first PS4 later for me) and do conceade PS4 has indy inclusion and price at this time and Xbox One has the online services.  The rest is just personal preference.  But Xbox One are looking to include indy games either directly or via the Windows 8 marketplace and can move on the price.  Traditionally PS4 had better exclusives later on but Microsoft will have learn't there lesson there. 

tdkmillsy

thats right up there with "I'm not a racist, but"

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

[QUOTE="tdkmillsy"]

Zaibach

suppose it is having re-read it. Ok I admit it I'm on the Xbox One side of the fence. But as I did with PS3 I will have a PS4 down the line.
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

They never have been the end all factor.  It always came down to strictly games in the past and now games + features.

The "chips" do matter of course, but they wont dictate which platform gets the better games and provide the better overall experience.  For all the advancements in technology we still see outstanding games being created on bare minimum tech every year.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

tdkmillsy

That is fvcking awesome way to put it. Since the technological difference between the two is as small as it is that should ring very true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

Too bad for Microsoft that Sony has the best drivers and the best car

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

Davekeeh

you mean the best driver in fiat car and microsoft may not have the best driver but in mclaren p1

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

nyzma23

you mean the best driver in fiat car and microsoft may not have the best driver but in mclaren p1

Sony:

tumblr_mfsu5yBQDV1rz7g0no1_400.gif

Microsoft:

1332441334_dog_driving_car.gifghostdog.jpg

Avatar image for ShoulderOfOrion
ShoulderOfOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShoulderOfOrion
Member since 2013 • 3379 Posts
The man speaks the truth. Talent is above all.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="nyzma23"]

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

Davekeeh

Sony:

Microsoft:

Just throwing this out there: You do realize Call of Duty: Ghosts is also on the PS4, right?

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Davekeeh
ROFL!!!!! Stop it!!!!! Your killing me!!!!!! Ahhhhh that was a good laugh.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

FoxbatAlpha

:?

Sony has the best car the PS4 is stronger,faster and better looking.

And sony has the best developers as well,ND = TEH GOODs.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Just throwing this out there: You do realize Call of Duty: Ghosts is also on the PS4, right?

Goyoshi12

Yeah but it wasn't sony who named call of duty 30 times on a presentation,and hyped the game as the new be all end all of gaming ,on a game that is multiplatfor...

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts
[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

[QUOTE="FoxbatAlpha"][QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

tormentos

:?

Sony has the best car the PS4 is stronger,faster and better looking.

And sony has the best developers as well,ND = TEH GOODs.

LOL...jimies=rustled
handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

tdkmillsy

I don't think MS can move on the price anytime soon with Kinect being such an integral part of the system and it costing them as much as it did. While I certainly hope their indy relations seriously improve and would also agree that they have the edge in online services (though this is in a what straight up works sense, ps+ offers far more value and benefits than gold) I don't think they can just "earn their lesson" with exclusives. MS doesn't have anywhere close to as large and proven first party as sony. they can form new studios and try things, but the experience isn't there. Right now, the only xbox one games worth any notice are all third parties and true, untimed exclusives in that field are nearing extinction since they typically aren't worth it for developers.

Business model is what kills MS though. They did a 180 on their policies which pleased most consumers, but they left some pretty deep scars that will take quite a long time to heal with all their statements and not everyone will be so quick to just forgive and forget. These guys just up and abandoned their vision they were so adamant about pushing and designed the xbox one around. They will likely want to restore all those things as soon as they think they can get away with it.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Of course "the chip" matters. It defines the limitations, you work within.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

Of course "the chip" matters. It defines the limitations, you work within.

MlauTheDaft
True, but it is still up to the developer whether or not the system is used to its fullest.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Good Guy Naughty Dog.

Telling people how it's always been.

Power was never the issue.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

[QUOTE="nyzma23"]

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

Davekeeh

Sony:

Microsoft:

:lol:

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Good Guy Naughty Dog.

LegatoSkyheart

This quote has nothing to do with Naughty Dog. Jason Rubin left years ago.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Good Guy Naughty Dog.

Obviously_Right

The point still stands though.

The Games and The Community do though.

It's why we have games like Counter Strike keep going even after a successor had been released, It's why Smash Bros. Melee returned to EVO for nearly 7 years.

The "Power" that these new generation gamers seem to care about is stupid.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MlauTheDaft

[QUOTE="Obviously_Right"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Good Guy Naughty Dog.

LegatoSkyheart

The point still stands though.

The Games and The Community do though.

It's why we have games like Counter Strike keep going even after a successor had been released, It's why Smash Bros. Melee returned to EVO for nearly 7 years.

The "Power" that these new generation gamers seem to care about is stupid.

So what about before we had the power to render CS and Smash Bros? Was power an issue then?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LegatoSkyheart

So what about before we had the power to render CS and Smash Bros? Was power an issue then?

MlauTheDaft

Always the arguement when talking about Power.

Here's the argument.

It's not before the graphics for those games, because obviously we wouldn't have those games.

The issue is gamers wanting the facto Best of the Best of the Best omg is that hair coming from that old guy's nose, graphics.

Xbox One and WiiU get trashed for this, but look at the games. They're fine.

Xbox One is getting Witcher 3 and WiiU has the beautiful Pikmin 3.

PS4 gets NONE OF THIS. It's circle jerk of people saying "omg, Knack!" "Infamous Second Son is best graphics!" "Killzone Shadow Fall!"

and yet these games look like they could have been developed on a PS3 before moving on to PS4.

Point is, When I say "It's not about the Graphics." I'm not saying we should just stick with Vetrex.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MlauTheDaft

[QUOTE="MlauTheDaft"]

LegatoSkyheart

Here's the argument.

It's not before the graphics for those games, because obviously we wouldn't have those games.

The issue is gamers wanting the facto Best of the Best of the Best omg is that hair coming from that old guy's nose, graphics.

PS4 gets NONE OF THIS. It's circle jerk of people saying "omg, Knack!" "Infamous Second Son is best graphics!" "Killzone Shadow Fall!"

and yet these games look like they could have been developed on a PS3 before moving on to PS4.

Point is, When I say "It's not about the Graphics." I'm not saying we should just stick with Vetrex.

you're incredibly subjective and power is obviously relevant as long as it suits you.

Power is relevant because magic does'nt exists..... Noone ever claimed that power did'nt have to be harnessed.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44063 Posts

Turn 10, 343i will show the way.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
I really like Rubin. He's a smart I guy. I agree that Nintendo should go multiplatform. And I agree with this too. Its the services that will set the consoles apart, the flops are meaningless.
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

5598100-origpic-6b707f.jpg

Chips is all that matters when gaming :P

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

Thats a wonderful short exchange that matches my thoughts as well. If Naughty Dog, Bungie, or Bioware made Nintendo Wii-U games they'd be great not cause of the hardware, but the developer. Great games always, always, always start with a great developer and what that team can get out of the hardware they are developing on. I'm more than satisfied with the Xbox One specds as is, and will only smile if the rumors prove to be true that the final specs will recieve an upgrade. But if they don't its no big deal. Both systems are going to ump out games with killer graphics, but its the developer who will make that great looking game a great game. Graphics aren't everything IMHO. 

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Microsoft:

1332441334_dog_driving_car.gif

Davekeeh

MS has dogs driving cars now?

XBone winner of next gen confirmed by DaveKeeh, TCHBO!

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Well, yah.

Power has never, in the history of consoles, proven to be the deciding factor in who wins a console generation.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

His comment is stupid.

A pro-driver will of course do more with less.... but what about 2 pro-drivers of equal skill, 1 in a Dodge Neon, the other in a F1 Supercar? Please tell me again how power doesn't matter. Idiots.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#32 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Davekeeh
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Well duh. The only people who care about graphics looking slightly better are moronic fanboys on the internet, unless there's a huge difference I see no reason why any sensible person would care about which is more powerful.
Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8057 Posts

They never have been the end all factor. It always came down to strictly games in the past and now games + features.

The "chips" do matter of course, but they wont dictate which platform gets the better games and provide the better overall experience. For all the advancements in technology we still see outstanding games being created on bare minimum tech every year.

sandbox3d

well said..

I believe that both the PS4 and the Xbox One have more than enough horsepower to make amazing games.. For example, PS2 continued to have amazing games made for it despite the fact that the original Xbox was considerably more powerful and easier to develop for.. It just boils down to the talent, imagination, and innovation of the developers..

the PS4 has a bit more horsepower to give developers freedom to create, I can grant you that.. But lets not pretend that games like Forza 5, MGS5, Battlefield 4, Quantum Break, Ryse, Destiny, and others that are shown to be running on the XB1's hardware are "ugly" (from purely a technical standpoint).. If you listen to some of the PS4 fanboys on SWs, Xbox One games are going to look like complete trash in a year when compared to the mighty PS4.. In reality, even if the PS4 is putting out a better looking game, that same game is going to still look absolutely mind-blowing if it's maxing out the Xbox One's hardware.. Casual consumers will not be disappointed in the graphical output of their XB1 purchase and the only people who will care are nerds like us who are going to be doing frame by frame comparisons with a magnifying glass.. And honestly, even I won't care THAT much..

and that's only IF PS4 games start to pull ahead graphically.. Currently both systems' exclusive titles are arguably on equal footing in terms of graphics so I guess we'll have to wait and see.. Buying a PS4 primarily for graphical superiority is an uncertainty at this point judging from the games that have been shown so far, so using that as your primary argument against the Xbox One is very weak indeed..

on the other side of that coin, the Xbox One has advantages for developers in terms of the included Kinect 2.0 functionality (pushing new boundaries in voice, gestures, and motion control), Smartglass integration (pushing new boundaries with second screen utilization and asynchronous gameplay), the Azure Cloud integration for relatively easy accessibility to dedicated servers (pushing new boundaries in video game cloud services to include dedicated servers for online games, cloud based CPU computations for AI, and more), and the Xbox Live factor in online gaming (pushing new boundaries in matchmaking with the new reputation system and more).. And this is not to mention the multimedia boundaries that are being pushed with the NFL partnership, HDMI input for live TV, Windows 8 apps, Skype, Snap-view, and more..

if you noticed a theme there, it was intentional.. The Xbox One seems to be offering great graphics along with pushing new innovation in nearly every other area of a game console.. The PS4 seems to offer even greater graphics potential coupled with logical upgrades to what the PS3 was offering and doing it for an extremely competitive price.. Both consoles would be a great purchase (I'm personally getting both at some point).. Lets just recognize that gaming (especially console gaming) is much more than GPU and RAM specs..

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
look what he did to THQ
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

look what he did to THQhippiesanta

He didn't have a chance. The company was f*cked already, he tried his best to turn it around.

infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 infinite884
Member since 2008 • 701 Posts

Good Guy Naughty Dog.

LegatoSkyheart

This guy doesn't work for naughty dog anymore. Especially when he says he's getting a xbox one before a ps4.

Maneil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Maneil99
Member since 2012 • 842 Posts

[QUOTE="MlauTheDaft"]

LegatoSkyheart

Here's the argument.

PS4 has the witcher 2

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

i always have said this, unless you are talking about a gap like Ps4 to WIIU, it all comes down to the devs.     xbox one and maybe a ps4 down the line, i might just get two xbox ones, such a superior system.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

i always have said this, unless you are talking about a gap like Ps4 to WIIU, it all comes down to the devs.     xbox one and maybe a ps4 down the line, i might just get two xbox ones, such a superior system.

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts
I'm holding off my judgement until the games are out and playable, because until then we don't know shit. Any of you idiots trying to call it now need to stop, take a good long look at yourself in the mirror and repeat the following phrase a few dozen times. "I don't know shit. I think I do, but I don't."
SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

The hardware jump was too big this time.

I'm guessing the real bottleneck will be budgets. The added quality in games won't come without more work and expenses.

John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

Microsoft:

1332441334_dog_driving_car.gif

blue_hazy_basic

MS has dogs driving cars now?

XBone winner of next gen confirmed by DaveKeeh, TCHBO!

they rented from activision :P
milsvaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 milsvaard
Member since 2003 • 1928 Posts

It has always come down to software, features and services. The differences in hardware are so small between the two competitors that they don't offer a significant advantage over the other. Right now, with the inclusion of indie games and pretty good exclusives for the PS4, that will be my console of choice. Perhaps later I will give the X1 a chance.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

XBOunity

I think it all depends how important the cloud will be in nextgen. Xbox One have the better position there :)

Kaz_Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kaz_Son
Member since 2013 • 1389 Posts

[QUOTE="nyzma23"]

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

Davekeeh

Sony:

Microsoft:

:lol:
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Davekeeh

Actually this is true, especially when it comes to exclusive developers like NaughtyDog. Microsoft's developers are no where near as talented.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22676 Posts

[QUOTE="tdkmillsy"]

Zaibach

haha... is it though?
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Check out microsoft's new ride.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

[QUOTE="nyzma23"]

Goyoshi12

Sony:

Microsoft:

Gotta admit, that was pretty damn funny.