The Blu-Ray propaganda really needs to stop

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

I saw this article about Capcom's announcements today, and the part about Lost Planet for PS3 was just disgusting. It states that the PS3 version's inclusion of the 360 version's DLC and the PC version's extra characters was "made possible by Blu Ray." Let's see how true this statement is:

1. Map Pack #3 for Lost Planet for the 360 was apparently 232MB. I don't know the exact numbers (seeing as I don't hae a 360 or Lost Planet), but I can reasonably predict that all 3 map packs together take up somewhere between 600MB and 1GB of space.

2. The PC version has an 8GB install according to Newegg.com.

So, even if the game took up as much space on the 360 as it did on the PC install (which usually isn't the case), the game could still fit on a normal DVD-9. Thus Blu-Ray did not in fact make this PS3 port possible, or really do much of any use.

Look, here's the thing. After seeing some movies on Blu-Ray, I'm totally sold as far as its usefulness in movies goes. It just looks ridiculously good. I just wish that Sony would stop trying to pretend that it's useful for games by spreading misinformation, and focus more on the movie-playing aspect of the PS3. Talking about the power of the Cell seems like a far more plausible way to market the PS3 as a "supercomputer" (even if it's still a little inaccurate) without misinforming the public.

deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
massive compresstion any one? u have no idea what ur talking about
Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

I saw this article about Capcom's announcements today, and the part about Lost Planet for PS3 was just disgusting. It states that the PS3 version's inclusion of the 360 version's DLC and the PC version's extra characters was "made possible by Blu Ray." Let's see how true this statement is:

1. Map Pack #3 for Lost Planet for the 360 was apparently 232MB. I don't know the exact numbers (seeing as I don't hae a 360 or Lost Planet), but I can reasonably predict that all 3 map packs together take up somewhere between 600MB and 1GB of space.

So, even if the game took up as much space on the 360 as it did on the PC install (which usually isn't the case), the game could still fit on a normal DVD-9. Thus Blu-Ray did not in fact make this PS3 port possible, or really do much of any use.

Look, here's the thing. After seeing some movies on Blu-Ray, I'm totally sold as far as its usefulness in movies goes. It just looks ridiculously good. I just wish that Sony would stop trying to pretend that it's useful for games by spreading misinformation, and focus more on the movie-playing aspect of the PS3. Talking about the power of the Cell seems like a far more plausible way to market the PS3 as a "supercomputer" (even if it's still a little inaccurate) without misinforming the public.

Funkyhamster

Well Capcom isn't owned by Sony, and if they said Blu-Ray helped than I don't see what the problem is..

And Lost Planet is coming to PS3?

Nugtoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nugtoka
Member since 2003 • 1812 Posts
Blue ray is Divine, Blue ray is the source of all good in the world. Blue Ray shows us how to live as a moral people. Blue Ray destroys all evil. BlueRay was born of a virgin. Blue -Ray shows us thepath to eternal life. All hail Blue Ray.
donnygorgas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 donnygorgas
Member since 2005 • 2531 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Bluray movies andeven I think this is ridiculous. Bluray isn't needed to fit in all the Lost planet content. It may be useful for some games and I think itmight be needed in the future but not for Lost Planet.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Funkyhamster

Well Capcom isn't owned by Sony, and if they said Blu-Ray helped than I don't see what the problem is..

Koalakommander

It's still marketing in a sense, claiming that the PS3 version is superior to the other versions. Which is true; it does have the extra content of the 360 and PC versions combined... it's just that Blu-Ray doesn't have anything to do with it.

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Koalakommander
[QUOTE="Koalakommander"]

Funkyhamster

It's still marketing in a sense, claiming that the PS3 version is superior to the other versions. Which is true; it does have the extra content of the 360 and PC versions combined... it's just that Blu-Ray doesn't have anything to do with it.

You can fit more stuff when you have more space. It's common sense.

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
MGS4, FFXIII, GT5, R&C, Resistance, KZ2,Stranglehold(PS3 version, yes alot of extras)...all those games couldn't be done the same there being developed now without Blu-ray. Isn't that appearant to you, or are all the devs just lying( some are 3rd party).
niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 niall077
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts

yeah damm propaganda.... its not like BR can more then DVD making it possable to hold lost planet + all the extra add ons

Capcom are just being payed by sony.. they MUST be

end of sarcastic Xbot rant

jessie5788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jessie5788
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts
you know if capcom said this maybe its true i mean do you really think sony paid them to say this, really more developers like blu-ray your going to have to realize that dvd is small and blu-ray is bigger. developers like an open field even if they put in 8 different languages may be a waste to you but not to them. you can't do that with dvd. times and technolgy is changing.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Funkyhamster

yeah damm propaganda.... its not like BR can more then DVD making it possable to hold lost planet + all the extra add ons

niall077

I just proved pretty definitively that a DVD-9 could hold the extra content...

humber_matus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 humber_matus
Member since 2007 • 2101 Posts
thats one thing i hate about some devs .. i agree 100% ... there are games that require the extra space, but claiming that a PORT is only possible with the power of Blu ray s rediculous.
Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Koalakommander

This is bascially the issue guys:

Huge games (not necessarily long) have a lot of content. These games can fit onto DVD-9s with enough compressing done to them. However, devs are finding it difficult to compress their games so much, and blu-ray makes the whole situation much less stressful.

We are coming to the point where it is very difficult to fit games on DVDs. Having multiple discs is not an issue to your typical gamers, but it is embarassing (to MS) when you have games with a 4 discs during the "next" generation of gaming. That's why it is so crucial.

The big thing about Blu-Ray is that it plays movies in HD

We've read to many dev complaints to dismiss Blu-Ray as "useless.".

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

Funkyhamster

you really think it isn't useful for games?

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Funkyhamster

MGS4, FFXIII, GT5, R&C, Resistance, KZ2,Stranglehold(PS3 version, yes alot of extras)...all those games couldn't be done the same there being developed now without Blu-ray. Isn't that appearant to you, or are all the devs just lying( some are 3rd party).Adrian_Cloud

Okay, here's the thing. For MGS4, I know that Kojima decided to use completely uncompressed sound - which could theoretically make a small difference in audio if you're an playing the game on a really nice speaker system, but really won't have much of an effect thanks to the efficient encoding algorithms for "HD sound" these days - and which takes up ridiculous amounts of space. For example, if you rip a CD using raw WAV encoding, it takes up 900MB of space - but you can easily reduce it to 40MB or less with WMA, AAC, or MP3...

As for Stranglehold, that's because it also has Hard Boiled in HD on the disc... of course it's going to take up as much space as a Blu-Ray movie... :P

niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 niall077
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts
[QUOTE="niall077"]

Funkyhamster

even if the game is only 8gbs thats alot.... the assasins creed people just said the other day they are haveing problems fitting the 8gigs of there game on a dvd.... game development isnt as simple as just filling the 9gigs since that if you fill a disc the loadtimes would be ALOT more then on a disc thats only half full
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#17 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
[QUOTE="niall077"]

Funkyhamster

Actually, you if anything disproved it. DVD-9 doesn't hold 9gigs (8.5GB), and in fact X360 doesn't even hold the max capacity of DVD9 (last official word was it was closer to 7GB, the rest is used on copy protection and such). So, if lost planet's install is at 8GB that means it alone is near maxing the disc out, minus any downloads. If the downloads are 1GB then yep it is actually exceeding the DVD9 size limit.

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Koalakommander

[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]MGS4, FFXIII, GT5, R&C, Resistance, KZ2,Stranglehold(PS3 version, yes alot of extras)...all those games couldn't be done the same there being developed now without Blu-ray. Isn't that appearant to you, or are all the devs just lying( some are 3rd party).Funkyhamster

Okay, here's the thing. For MGS4, I know that Kojima decided to use completely uncompressed sound - which could theoretically make a small difference in audio if you're an playing the game on a really nice speaker system, but really won't have much of an effect thanks to the efficient encoding algorithms for "HD sound" these days - and which takes up ridiculous amounts of space. For example, if you rip a CD using raw WAV encoding, it takes up 900MB of space - but you can easily reduce it to 40MB or less with WMA, AAC, or MP3...

As for Stranglehold, that's because it also has Hard Boiled in HD on the disc... of course it's going to take up as much space as a Blu-Ray movie... :P

For every dev praising Blu-Ray for the extra space, there is a dev complaining about the lack of space on DVD-9.

I understand what you are trying to say, Blu-Ray probably isn't as huge as everyone makes it out to be. But it certainly is a luxury that were lucky to have.

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts
Maybe their putting tons of uncompressed audio on it :P
GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts
[QUOTE="Funkyhamster"]

SambaLele

you really think it isn't useful for games?

It's definately useful; probably not necessary, but certainly useful.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Funkyhamster

Actually, you if anything disproved it. DVD-9 doesn't hold 9gigs (8.5GB), and in fact X360 doesn't even hold the max capacity of DVD9 (last official word was it was closer to 7GB, the rest is used on copy protection and such). So, if lost planet's install is at 8GB that means it alone is near maxing the disc out, minus any downloads. If the downloads are 1GB then yep it is actually exceeding the DVD9 size limit.

DerekLoffin

That's excluding the fact that PC ports have installs much larger than the original console version... I just used it because there isn't any concrete information about how much space console games take up.

BZSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BZSIN
Member since 2005 • 7889 Posts

There was an interview with Dan Houser (I think it was him) in a 360 mag a couple of months ago saying Rockstar were finding the lack of disc space for GTA4 a bit of a problem.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#23 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"]

Funkyhamster

That's excluding the fact that PC ports have installs much larger than the original console version... I just used it because there isn't any concrete information about how much space console games take up.

Maybe, but again, you haven't proven your point, if anything you did the exact opposite. Your number don't work out to support your point, they work out against your point.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#24 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

Cows are right, BR has definitely helped gaming.

BR helped Motorstorm have a ton of race tracks packed-in the game.

BR helped Heavenly Sword be a lengthy game.

BR helped Lair to be a true masterpiece.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

There was an interview with Dan Houser (I think it was him) in a 360 mag a couple of months ago saying Rockstar were finding the lack of disc space for GTA4 a bit of a problem.

BZSIN

The problem was with the lack of a standard hard drive NOT storage space.

fanboy999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fanboy999
Member since 2003 • 1444 Posts
Sony is trying to convince everyone that Blu-ray is necessary. That's because they stand to make a sh--load of $$ if people adopt it. Sony isn't trying to revolutionize games or movies. It's trying to take your $$. The sooner people realize this truth the better. They will effectively control most media if Blu-ray wins. And "TrueHD" is also another Sonyism. Remember, Sony says that if it isn't "TrueHD and Blu-ray then it's crap!" I see through their marketing campaign like it was made of glass.
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

Funkyhamster

You just self-owned yourself there you know. I'm not saying the article is being honest buy DVD-9 doesn't actually hold 9GB and 360's DVD9? 7.8GB.

In otherwords it could be entirely accurate that its included on disc due to Blu-Ray.

jlh47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jlh47
Member since 2007 • 3326 Posts

MGS4, FFXIII, GT5, R&C, Resistance, KZ2,Stranglehold(PS3 version, yes alot of extras)...all those games couldn't be done the same there being developed now without Blu-ray. Isn't that appearant to you, or are all the devs just lying( some are 3rd party).Adrian_Cloud
stranglehold isn't coming with a lot of extras. just the movie. r&c could easily be done on 360, same with resistance. mgs and ff would be more than 1 disc and gt5 could be done. (look at forza).

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
Blu-ray owns.
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Runningflame570

Funkyhamster

No you proved you don't understand the difference between binary and decimal when it comes to calculating storage space and you've also proven you don't know about 360's further reduced DVD storage space.

Funkyhamster

Then you can't "disprove" anything because you are missing relevant information that can throw your entire assumption out the window.

RedMarzBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RedMarzBoy
Member since 2004 • 1298 Posts
Sony is trying to convince everyone that Blu-ray is necessary. That's because they stand to make a sh--load of $$ if people adopt it. Sony isn't trying to revolutionize games or movies. It's trying to take your $$. The sooner people realize this truth the better. They will effectively control most media if Blu-ray wins. And "TrueHD" is also another Sonyism. Remember, Sony says that if it isn't "TrueHD and Blu-ray then it's crap!" I see through their marketing campaign like it was made of glass.fanboy999
maybe you dont need it. but people that buy HDTVs want HD content for it. if not there's no point in buying it. 
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="Koalakommander"]

Funkyhamster

of course it's marketing. how else would you really make a person buy a game that is a year old. They have to claim something or very few would get interested

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LosDaddie

[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]MGS4, FFXIII, GT5, R&C, Resistance, KZ2,Stranglehold(PS3 version, yes alot of extras)...all those games couldn't be done the same there being developed now without Blu-ray. Isn't that appearant to you, or are all the devs just lying( some are 3rd party).jlh47

stranglehold isn't coming with a lot of extras. just the movie. r&c could easily be done on 360, same with resistance. mgs and ff would be more than 1 disc and gt5 could be done. (look at forza).

Correct.

If you take out all the extra language tracks, then most (excluding all JRPGs) PS3 games would fit on DVd9.

ut3nophysics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ut3nophysics
Member since 2007 • 490 Posts

Funkyhamster

xbox360 didnt have enough storage on the disk that's reason they have maps to download lol, on ps3 they had enough so included dlc from 360.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LosDaddie

xbox360 didnt have enough storage on the disk that's reason they have maps to download lol, on ps3 they had enough so included dlc from 360.

ut3nophysics

So, what you're saying is that Motorstorm's whopping8 tracks took up all 25Gigs on the BR disc and that's why Sony had to release the other tracks via DLC?

:shock:

aaron6581230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 aaron6581230
Member since 2005 • 2133 Posts

LosDaddie

BR will help Ratchet and Clank on the 30th (the demo was more than a gig)

BR will help Uncharted in a month

BR will help Stranglehold by adding the value of a full movie

I don't see DVD helping Blue Dragon compress to 8.5 gigs

I pity that you limit yourself to only AAA games....Guitar Hero 2 didn't get AAA but it was a heck of fun

aaron6581230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 aaron6581230
Member since 2005 • 2133 Posts
[QUOTE="ut3nophysics"]

LosDaddie

So, what you're saying is that Motorstorm's whopping8 tracks took up all 25Gigs on the BR disc and that's why Sony had to release the other tracks via DLC?

I don't see Blue Dragon being under 8.5 gigs

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LosDaddie

BR will help Ratchet and Clank on the 30th (the demo was more than a gig)

BR will help Uncharted in a month

BR will help Stranglehold by adding the value of a full movieaaron6581230

So bascially, more WaitStation3? :lol:

FYI: Plenty of x360 demos are more than 1G. Or did you not know that? Oh and I enjoyed R&C demo on my PS3.

I pity that you limit yourself to only AAA games....Guitar Hero 2 didn't get AAA but it was a heck of fun

aaron6581230

I pity that you limit yourself to one console, while I own all 3. 8)

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LosDaddie
[QUOTE="LosDaddie"][QUOTE="ut3nophysics"]

aaron6581230

I don't see Blue Dragon being under 8.5 gigs

One JRPG example is all you have? :lol: And yet you couldn't even answer the question? :lol: :lol:

Yup, DVD9 held back Halo3 and GameSpot's 2006 Game of the Year....oh wait :shock:

Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts
1. Map Pack #3 for Lost Planet for the 360 was apparently 232MB. I don't know the exact numbers (seeing as I don't hae a 360 or Lost Planet), but I can reasonably predict that all 3 map packs together take up somewhere between 600MB and 1GB of space.Funkyhamster
Hooray for guessing.
OXIIIIXO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 OXIIIIXO
Member since 2006 • 2337 Posts

Talking about the power of the Cell seems like a far more plausible way to market the PS3 as a "supercomputer" (even if it's still a little inaccurate) without misinforming the public.

Funkyhamster

What use can normal people get out of the Cell?

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts
[QUOTE="Funkyhamster"]

[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]MGS4, FFXIII, GT5, R&C, Resistance, KZ2,Stranglehold(PS3 version, yes alot of extras)...all those games couldn't be done the same there being developed now without Blu-ray. Isn't that appearant to you, or are all the devs just lying( some are 3rd party).Koalakommander

For every dev praising Blu-Ray for the extra space, there is a dev complaining about the lack of space on DVD-9.

I understand what you are trying to say, Blu-Ray probably isn't as huge as everyone makes it out to be. But it certainly is aluxury that were lucky to have.

Amen Brother :wink:

lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

Funk, one DVD9 sure, but not one 360 DVD9 as the maximum space avaliable for 360 games is just 7.5GB.

But nothing stops them from shipping in 2 discs and requiring a HDD.

Thompsonwhore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Thompsonwhore
Member since 2003 • 2059 Posts

If Blu-ray wasn't needed, I doubt people would actually be using it. Just raises costs for them.

To assume that all the companies who use Blu-ray as the choice format for their games were bribed or encouraged to use Blu-ray discs sounds like paranoia.

Unless there's any game developers here who can give their relfections on it, everyone else here saying Blu-ray isn't needed is just making assumptions and uninformed opinions.

Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Runningflame570

OXIIIIXO

Well for one its a darn good hardware multimedia decoder..

Xolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Xolver
Member since 2005 • 2052 Posts
Disregarding the fact that Capcom is 3rd party and already dumped Sony with DMC4, what if it were 4 maps with the same size range? Would you concede a "Blu-ray is needed" then? I'm sure you won't, so don't make a thread like this in the first place.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
[QUOTE="Funkyhamster"]

Talking about the power of the Cell seems like a far more plausible way to market the PS3 as a "supercomputer" (even if it's still a little inaccurate) without misinforming the public.

OXIIIIXO

The same things people get out of any other processor?
GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts
[QUOTE="Funkyhamster"]

OXIIIIXO

What use can normal people get out of the Xenon?

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

uhh on dvd-9's microsoft can only use a little bit less than 8 gigs look it up

they use about 1.5 gigs for security

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

LosDaddie
Fanboy sarcasm its the best kind LOL