The $600 PC is Real Guys!

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 VoodooGamer
Member since 2007 • 1864 Posts

No really it is! How do I know this? Because I'm building it. I'd just like to start off by saying this isn't a thread about "You can get a PC for the same amount as a console, negating any reason to get a console", I don't believe that for obvious reasons. ;)

This thread is to those who say "You can't build a $500-600 gaming PC"

I could go all out and build another $1000 rig, in fact I could just upgrade the old one and still play newer games but I'm not going to do that for a couple reasons:

• I want more "computer building experience" (I've only built two PCs and I haven't run into any problems, I WANT PROBLEMS)
  • I'm really short for money and if I can get away with a decent gaming rig for cheap, I'M GOING TO DO IT!

So here's the rig as seen on Neweggs Checkout page:

• CASE: Coolermaster Centurion 5 $49.99 (I've seen people who spent $1000 and above with this as their chassis)
  • MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-M7700 $78.99
  • GPU: EVGA 8800GT 512 $134.99
  • PSU: Rosewill RP550V $59.99 (My friend used this on his PC, he says it's great)
  • CPU: AMD Athlon X2 ~2.3 GHZ $49.99
  • RAM: Corsair 2GB DDR2 800 $57.00
  • Storage: Western Digital Caviar 250GB $59.99
  • Sound Device: Turtle Beach RIVIERA $23.99 (Probably wont increase FPS or anything but the sound quality is good)

The CPU got good reviews on Newegg and a few people I've seen are running it with the same card I bought. Also, I'm only using Vista to really get a "feel" for what it is. My bro has it, and I can't say it's that much different from XP other than from an aesthetic viewpoint but again I've spent little time with it. If I don't like it, it's coming out. ;)

I'm reusing my Monitor and keyboard and mouse. For those of you who say, "Well you have to count the price of the monitor too" well you'd have to count your TV too. ;)

So discuss. :)

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts
You da man, dawg.
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts
Anyone see the irony in the TC's name and the thread title? ;)
nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

The mouse and keyboard should be included to the cost (since consoles have a free controller per purchase) :P

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
I'd spend $100 more for a better CPU and 4gbs of ram.
VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VoodooGamer

Anyone see the irony in the TC's name and the thread title? ;)hopesfall2own

Voodoo comes from the song "Voodoo Chile" by Jimmy Hendrix, gamer comes from..well c'mon, it's obvious. ;)

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VoodooGamer

I'd spend $100 more for a better CPU and 4gbs of ram.Ibacai

No. The CPU is fine enough and I don't need 4 GB of RAM for a 32 BIT OS.

nintendog66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nintendog66
Member since 2006 • 2300 Posts

PC Hardware Forum is that way >>>>>>>>>>>

As much as I like gaming on my PC, you'll just have to understand that we, hermits(or in my case shermit), are in a whole different league than consoles. They just can't keep up and they'll just have to deal with the fact that the Ps3 and the 360 are left with the leftovers from PCs, in games, and the Wii, in sales.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
What it if I don't want to build a game system, I just want to play games?
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]I'd spend $100 more for a better CPU and 4gbs of ram.VoodooGamer

I was giving my opinion, no need to take it. No skin off my back.
-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Wheels-
Member since 2005 • 3137 Posts

You forgot LCD screen. But not a bad build.

*EDIT* oh and mouse + keyboard. What you left off could easily add $150 to $200 to the price. Still not bad.

Avatar image for supermechakirby
supermechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 supermechakirby
Member since 2003 • 10677 Posts

sound card will pull more performance, thats just releaving stress from the CPU and Ram for sound processing

now, if you want to keep this thread Alive Id go take some screenshots and show us how well this rig can run these POWERFUL eye popping graphically advanced games that you hermits claim are so great

hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts

[QUOTE="hopesfall2own"]Anyone see the irony in the TC's name and the thread title? ;)VoodooGamer

Voodoo comes from the song "Voodoo Chile" by Jimmy Hendrix, gamer comes from..well c'mon, it's obvious. ;)

ya but you know voodoo the pc makers and how expensive they are right? :P
Avatar image for SpaceMountain86
SpaceMountain86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 SpaceMountain86
Member since 2006 • 728 Posts

What it if I don't want to build a game system, I just want to play games?Senor_Kami

Winner.

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VoodooGamer

What it if I don't want to build a game system, I just want to play games?Senor_Kami

:facepalm:

I think you missed a paragraph. ;)

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VoodooGamer
[QUOTE="VoodooGamer"]

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]I'd spend $100 more for a better CPU and 4gbs of ram.Ibacai

I didn't say it meanly. I'm drinking bear and listening to Nine Inch Nails, I'm in a good mood. ;)

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VoodooGamer

*EDIT* oh and mouse + keyboard. What you left off could easily add $150 to $200 to the price. Still not bad.

-Wheels-

It could but it could also cost $20 bucks and still be decent.

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kez1984

Buy these

For single player

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 VoodooGamer

sound card will pull more performance, thats just releaving stress from the CPU and Ram for sound processing

now, if you want to keep this thread Alive Id go take some screenshots and show us how well this rig can run these POWERFUL eye popping graphically advanced games that you hermits claim are so great

supermechakirby

The only "hard PC game" to run is Crysis. ;) As for everything else, well the 8800GT owns.

GootHimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GootHimp
Member since 2008 • 581 Posts

how are you gonna play games without building it :roll:.

SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 SgtWhiskeyjack
Member since 2004 • 16364 Posts

I paid almost that for my Sega Saturn on release day and your rig is way better :roll:

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VoodooGamer

I paid almost that for my Sega Saturn on release day and your rig is way better :roll:

SgtWhiskeyjack

The obvious is obvious sometimes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#23 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
i'd pass... unless the case was red and black. that would look ****ing great
SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SgtWhiskeyjack
[QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"]

VoodooGamer

Though you still felt compelled to make a thread about it.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
[QUOTE="supermechakirby"]

VoodooGamer

The only "hard PC game" to run is Crysis. ;) As for everything else, well the 8800GT owns.

Do yourself a favor and get a ATI 48xx instead. I'm extremely disappointed with my 8800 GT.

And get the extra 2 GB memory and a 64-bit copy of Vista. If you already have a non-OEM Vista key, you can just track down a 64-bit disc, as the keys are interchangeable between 32- and 64-bit versions.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"]What it if I don't want to build a game system, I just want to play games?GootHimp

how are you gonna play games without building it :roll:.

he could always take his parts and have someone else build it for him... Only cost a tiny bit of money and would take less than a day.

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VoodooGamer
[QUOTE="VoodooGamer"][QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"]

SgtWhiskeyjack

Um, no I didn't? Really, where did I mention the Sega Saturn? Also, if you're saying that it's ridiculous to compare a new PC to a console made in 2005, than you didn't read the thread sir. That's not what this thread is about.

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kez1984

I'm extremely disappointed with my 8800 GT.

lowe0

8800 gt is a great card. The last card I bought before it was a X1950 pro, now that was a disappointing card, no more ATI for me.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
Does the case come with a power supply? Otherwise you'll need one of those. I am planning on building a new PC myself but I want things a little more expensive than that. Overall I'll be expecting to pay about $800 Canadian for mine. The weird thing is is that many of the parts for it I'm told are less expensive in Canada than the USA at a certain computer store I'm going to.
VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 VoodooGamer

Do yourself a favor and get a ATI 48xx instead. I'm extremely disappointed with my 8800 GT.

And get the extra 2 GB memory and a 64-bit copy of Vista. If you already have a Vista key, you can just track down a 64-bit disc, as the keys are interchangeable between 32- and 64-bit versions.

lowe0

My bro is using the 8800GT and the only game he has a problem with is Crysis, otherwise, all the games I like run well with it. Plus it's only $134 now.

deuce85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deuce85
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

Awesome dude!

I can't wait to build mine, just waiting for the "Intel i7 series" to be released. I get an unbelievable discount on computer parts, just because I work for a systems integrator. I should be able to keep the cost of my desired rig down to an affordable price.

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VoodooGamer

Does the case come with a power supply? Otherwise you'll need one of those. I am planning on building a new PC myself but I want things a little more expensive than that. Overall I'll be expecting to pay about $800 Canadian for mine. The weird thing is is that many of the parts for it I'm told are less expensive in Canada than the USA at a certain computer store I'm going to.BumFluff122

No, I bought the PSU seperately actually. And, I'd like to pay more but I really don't have a lot to spend.

RuprechtMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RuprechtMonkey
Member since 2008 • 1509 Posts

I'm drinking bearVoodooGamer

Whoa. That sounds dangerous.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
[QUOTE="lowe0"]

And get the extra 2 GB memory and a 64-bit copy of Vista. If you already have a Vista key, you can just track down a 64-bit disc, as the keys are interchangeable between 32- and 64-bit versions.

VoodooGamer

My bro is using the 8800GT and the only game he has a problem with is Crysis, otherwise, all the games I like run well with it. Plus it's only $134 now.

Fair enough. I'm just saying that if you can stretch it, you won't regret picking up something more future-proof. Or, just get an SLI board and throw in a second 8800 GT when they really go on clearance. ;)
SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SgtWhiskeyjack
[QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"][QUOTE="VoodooGamer"][QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"]

VoodooGamer

Um, no I didn't? Really, where did I mention the Sega Saturn? Also, if you're saying that it's ridiculous to compare a new PC to a console made in 2005, than you didn't read the thread sir. That's not what this thread is about.

Fair one, but who are these people who say you can't? The one you've built isn't anywhere near cutting edge and I doubt a PC gamer who want power and lots of it, wouldn't really be content with it.

The normal way to go about building a PC is to buy the best, most powerful components thats available for as cheap as you can get it - not to compremise.

-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -Wheels-
Member since 2005 • 3137 Posts
[QUOTE="-Wheels-"]

VoodooGamer

It could but it could also cost $20 bucks and still be decent.

Well, the mouse and keyboard is like $10 absolute minimum. Maybe like $50 for a cheap LCD. I'm a cg artist and a gamer, so I usually don't think about the absolute cheapest. I do look for good deals though.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

No, I bought the PSU seperately actually. And, I'd like to pay more but I really don't have a lot to spend.

VoodooGamer
Me either that's what credit is for (Though I wish someoen would talk me out of it so I don't go overboard lol). The PC I have now is completely useless for gaming. I't fairly powerful for a 5 year old computer but it only has 1 CPU and I'm using an integrated graphics card and sound card. It's also missing the side panel and the dust in it is attrocious. The CD-
Rom drive sticks because a friend of mine accidentally spilled pop on it then with all her brilliance decided to close the pop drenched front cover so more pop didn't get in. *facepalm*
VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 VoodooGamer
[QUOTE="VoodooGamer"][QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"][QUOTE="VoodooGamer"][QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"]

SgtWhiskeyjack

Fair one, but who are these people who say you can't? The one you've built isn't anywhere near cutting edge and I doubt a PC gamer who want power and lots of it, wouldn't really be content with it.

The normal way to go about building a PC is to buy the best, most powerful components thats available for as cheap as you can get it - not to compremise.

Well for one this PC may not be "cutting edge" but neither was my last one which lasted me a good three years. I played Oblivion on High with that mofo. Also that's not the normal way to build a PC. Actually there is no such thing as "normal way"

Avatar image for torontomapleafs
torontomapleafs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 torontomapleafs
Member since 2006 • 2019 Posts
Still double the price of a 360 almost.
blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts
[QUOTE="supermechakirby"]

VoodooGamer

i have a similar set up with a little better processor. im running crysis at all very high 30 fps. 1280x720. so if it runs crysis this well itll run any game amazingly

Predator123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Predator123
Member since 2003 • 188 Posts
You can build a gaming rig for 600, closer to 800 really. A few things I noticed, the setup you have there, the hard drive is a 250, you only need a 150gb if its a gaming rig alone, also with that exact setup you do not need a 550 watt PSU a 450-500 would be fine. And for the guys commenting that you need to throw in an lcd, I think he was going with the notion that you already have a monitor, thats like asuming you have to buy a 56" LCD TV when you buy a 360..... the monitor is not part of the system.
GoogleHoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GoogleHoo
Member since 2008 • 133 Posts

Just make sure you have about 30 amps on the 12 volt rail, You're CPU is going to bottleneck you a little bit. Also a high performance soundcard does not increase performance in games, in lowers it in many cases but only by a small amont, that is a myth do not listen to it.

XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts
[QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="VoodooGamer"]

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]I'd spend $100 more for a better CPU and 4gbs of ram.VoodooGamer

I didn't say it meanly. I'm drinking bear and listening to Nine Inch Nails, I'm in a good mood. ;)

Wow dude your hardcore!

-Jashan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -Jashan-
Member since 2007 • 401 Posts
i thought gaming pc's were ones with the latest hardware...
Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kez1984

i thought gaming pc's were ones with the latest hardware...-Jashan-

As opposed to consoles?

albi321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 albi321
Member since 2007 • 1552 Posts
You forgot mouse/keyboard. Also that PC is going to be outdated very soon, hell many of its components are way outdated (CPU).
blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts

[QUOTE="-Jashan-"]i thought gaming pc's were ones with the latest hardware...Kez1984

As opposed to consoles?

really what? anything with hardware from the past year can run crysis - the most demanding game on earth at the moment. basically a mid/high end computer is considered great right now.

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Kez1984
[QUOTE="Kez1984"]

[QUOTE="-Jashan-"]i thought gaming pc's were ones with the latest hardware...blues35301

As opposed to consoles?

really what? anything with hardware from the past year can run crysis - the most demanding game on earth at the moment. basically a mid/high end computer is considered great right now.

He might be able to run crysis but he wont be able to run this.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I doubt I will be able to put together a new PC for that price, considering that I am going to get a 32" 1080p HDTV to go along with it and my 360.