The 360 is finished, lemmings answer this question.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

roadkill88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 roadkill88
Member since 2005 • 2313 Posts

Question:

If the 360 sold worse in 2007 than it did in 2006, despite having a stronger lineup in 2007, and if the PS3 outsold the 360 in 2007 despite being more expensive, having less games, not being fully released ( ! ), and suffering a mega-fud campaign, then how is the 360 supposed to outsell the PS3 this year, when:

- The 360 has a weaker lineup this year than it did last year.

- The PS3 has a stronger lineup this year - in fact a cast iron one, MGS, Tekken, Home, LBP, Resistance 2, Killzone 2 etc etc etc

- Blu-Ray has won the format war

- More PS2 users are getting ready to upgrade

Well actually, considering the above, heres the question:

Do you accept that in 2008 the 360 will fail against the PS3 again, only this time even worse?

fishfake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 fishfake
Member since 2007 • 1135 Posts

sales don't matter

360 already have a big games library

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts
You cows go on about the PS3 selling well when it had no games then i got to say the 360 is doing well for a console that you cows claim breaks every 5 mins!
CyanX73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CyanX73
Member since 2004 • 3389 Posts

Question:

If the 360 sold worse in 2007 than it did in 2006, despite having a stronger lineup in 2007, and if the PS3 outsold the 360 in 2007 despite being more expensive, having less games, not being fully released ( ! ), and suffering a mega-fud campaign, then how is the 360 supposed to outsell the PS3 this year, when:

- The PS3 has a stronger lineup this year - in fact a cast iron one, MGS, Tekken, Home, LBP, Resistance 2, Killzone 2 etc etc etc

Do you accept that in 2008 the 360 will fail against the PS3 again, only this time even worse?

roadkill88

I'd guess that MS is happy with how well they've done on 360. It usually outsells PS3 in North America and they probably would have sold even more units were it not for the RROD. Heck, they'd have my sale if it weren't for RROD. And Sony does have a great lineup this year but 360 is going to get a price cut when GTA 4 comes out and it's the system with the exclusive DLC. If MS advertises that so the average consumer who has yet to get a next-gen console is made aware of this, what system do you think they're going to buy when they go into the store to get a system to play GTA?

Sony, imo, has to do something to combat this. I don't know if they can secure some sort of exclusive content of their own but they need to try.

And don't forget Gears 2. That game is going to be a big hit. So yeah, the PS3 has more games coming this year but 360 has to pretty good things going for itself. And let's not forget whatever MS has up their sleeve that they haven't revealed yet.

flameboy118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 flameboy118
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts

yeah ur right really. the 360, for me, is finished- look at ut3, the hardware is clearly falling behind.

with a decent year of games for the ps3 in 08, the 360 will not survive- the 120 million ps2 owners (many of whom are noobs) will buy a ps3 when it becomes cheap- i predict the ps3 to double the 360s sales in total- if mgs4 cant fit on bluray, what about dvd? in short, the 360 hardware isbecoming obselete, and 08 is its worst year of games yet, while it is the best year for ps3. THE 360 IS DEAD

CyanX73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CyanX73

You cows go on about the PS3 selling well when it had no games then i got to say the 360 is doing well for a console that you cows claim breaks every 5 mins!Duckyindiana

I haven't claimed it breaks "every five minutes" but let's be honest, the console is the most hardware faulty console since the original NES. Cows would have no ammunition for the hardware problems if it A) wasn't being claimed by 360 owners; and B) if it had been corrected by now. The fact that it's still happening is just insane, don't you think?

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

Yeah PS3 is going to overtake 360, this is certain.

360 is out 2 years now and sold:17 mil

Ps3 is out for 1 year (or 3/4year in Europe,...) and has sold:10mil

In sales PS3 will win this or next year it'll overtake 360 in sales.

But of course sales does not equal quality; look at wii.

CyanX73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CyanX73

yeah ur right really. the 360, for me, is finished- look at ut3, the hardware is clearly falling behind.

with a decent year of games for the ps3 in 08, the 360 will not survive- the 120 million ps2 owners (many of whom are noobs) will buy a ps3 when it becomes cheap- i predict the ps3 to double the 360s sales in total- if mgs4 cant fit on bluray, what about dvd? in short, the 360 hardware isbecoming obselete, and 08 is its worst year of games yet, while it is the best year for ps3. THE 360 IS DEAD

flameboy118

You guys are shouting victory before the race is even over. I'll say this though, if the 360 is finished and MS launches the 720 or whatever they'll call it, do you think they'll abandon the 360 the way they abandoned the original xbox?

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
Care-parade.
Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

[QUOTE="Duckyindiana"]You cows go on about the PS3 selling well when it had no games then i got to say the 360 is doing well for a console that you cows claim breaks every 5 mins!CyanX73

I haven't claimed it breaks "every five minutes" but let's be honest, the console is the most hardware faulty console since the original NES. Cows would have no ammunition for the hardware problems if it A) wasn't being claimed by 360 owners; and B) if it had been corrected by now. The fact that it's still happening is just insane, don't you think?

Don't get me wrong the hardware sucks my 2nd 360 is in for repairs now, but i just getting sick of these fanboy threads claiming that is finished as it stands right now the PS3 has a bigger chance of failing than the 360. The ps3 has to much hope hanging on a couple of games.

bigevil_rashek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 bigevil_rashek
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts

flameboy118

What about UT3? It was a timed exclusive and looks good on the 360. And of the 120 mil PS2 users, 60mil are casuals and they are buying the wii. 40mil live in the USA and they are going to buy a 360. And that leaves 10mil who already bought a PS3. So the PS3 isn't going to magically jump ahead of everyone.

roadkill88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 roadkill88

flameboy118

Yeah I mean seriously, the honeymoon is over. The 360 needed to capitilize BIGTIME in the headstart it gave itself, 2007 and especially the latter half of 2007 was the perfect opportunity. Yet in its would-be strongest year, it couldn't even defeat the PS3 in its weakest year. During the 'honeymoon' years, Microsoft had to capture a significant amount of the PS2 install base and create a lead of at the very least 10-15 Million over the PS3. It has an actual lead of 6-7 and has captured virtually none of the PS2 install base.

Add to that DVD9, death of HD-DVD, RROD (Which, IMO, is the reason the 360 sold worse in 2007 than in 2006 despite having a better lineup) and all manner of titles Sony haven't even announced outside their highest offices - this race, if it even was that, is dead in the water.

The only competition left now is Nintendo, - even then they aren't really competition, the Wii has created its own market.

LNW67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LNW67
Member since 2006 • 123 Posts

Do my eye's deceive me, are the cows talking about sales again. Not to long ago the last thing you would

see in a sales thread is a cow.

roadkill88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 roadkill88

Do my eye's deceive me, are the cows talking about sales again. Not to long ago the last thing you would

see in a sales thread is a cow.

LNW67

Talking about sales in forum designed for competition between the successes of consoles. What ever next? Xbox 360's being discussed in the 360 forum?

Just what is the world coming to?!

player_leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 player_leo
Member since 2002 • 1483 Posts

Just wait . You'll see. Cows have so much hope and dreams. It's funny that I heard this same kind of talk in Nov of 2006.

Hopkins_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hopkins_J
Member since 2007 • 2030 Posts

Why does everyone state the Playstation 3 has outsold the 360.

I would like to have some statics please.

kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts

sales don't matter

360 already have a big games library

fishfake

Sorry dude, but the TC has a strong point. The PS3 is now outselling the 360 on a regular basis and its big guns haven't even come out yet. What do you think is going to happen once MGS 4, HAZE, GT 5, RFoM 2, FF XIII and Killzone 2 hit this year? What does the 360 have to counter those games?

Too Human? With DMC 4 already out and NG 2 on the way, Too Human Imo is a day late and a dollar short! Sure it has item collection and character building, but C'mon, we've all seen the videos. Too human is a Hack-N-Slash with RPG elements all the way!

Halo Wars? RTS's are not the bread and butter on consoles and even with the Halo name behind it, HW is simply too much of a niche game to dominate the sales charts!

Splinter Cell Conviction? I think UbiSoft is taking the right course on this one in trying to reinvent Sam Fisher, so this game may well be a huge title for the 360! But can it really compete with MGS 4? We will see!

Fable 2?? Ambitious title from Lionhead that is once again promising the moon as far as game length, character developement and envirnmental interaction! Hmm, what happened with Fable 1 guys?? Anyone really believe this one is coming out in 2008? Im skeptical at best!!

Banjo Threeie? MS's answer to Mario. Lets just say that since its acquisition of RARE, the best game that this company has put on the 360 was a very average, plastic shooter known as PDZ! So far Id say RARE has gotten the better end of this deal!

Gears of War 2!!! Ahh, there is a silver lining for the 360 owners! The first one was a monster hit. Very fun and fast gameplay. Great campaign with a multiplayer that Imo was good but had some flaws that need to be addressed in #2. Problem is that there is this game out right now called Army of Two that Imo takes all of the good stuff in Gears and adds in more weapons and better Co-Op play!! EPIC had better bring the house and everything inside on Gears 2 and Im sure they will!!

Let me end by saying that I own both consoles and they both are great in their own ways. But after now watching MS's 1 year head start in sales rapidly erode away and now watching all of the PS3's big guns getting ready to hit gamers hands, I cant help but think that the 360 has seen its best days!!!

bigevil_rashek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bigevil_rashek

AND THE PS3 IS STILL IN LAST PLACE!!!!!

Gamerboi27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Gamerboi27
Member since 2005 • 3261 Posts

You cows go on about the PS3 selling well when it had no games then i got to say the 360 is doing well for a console that you cows claim breaks every 5 mins!Duckyindiana

you lems go on about the ps3 having no games...when it has great games

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

360 had a great lineup this year - and it having the complete GTA experience should give it a sharp sales boost.

gotta remember the ps3 is only selling decenlty because old men are buying it as a BluRay player - the attach rate is still the worst for any console in the past 2 gens (games per console).

so yeah - sit back and watch as the 360 destroy the PS3 yet another year with a far superior lineup and one of the best game libraries this gen (pretty much tied with Wii). just wait a bit longer until it has a AAAE right? the games are coming soon, right? and with home things will be better - right?

CyanX73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CyanX73

Why does everyone state the Playstation 3 has outsold the 360.

I would like to have some statics please.

Hopkins_J

Worldwide it is outselling the 360. I don't know if it has completely surpassed it in units sold worldwide, but when you add up totals from all over the world, the PS3 tops 360 for the past 2 months or so.

MortalDecay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MortalDecay
Member since 2005 • 4298 Posts

Question:

roadkill88

Blah, blah, blah, my opinion, blah, blah, blah, embarrassing desperation, blah, bah, blah...

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts

The 360 has only seen one price drop since its release, a modest one of $50.

If the 360 does not sell extremely well when it hits the magic price tag of $199, then yes....it will be a clear indication that Sony will be the victor against Microsoft.

But the Wii will still be #1 overall.

MortalDecay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MortalDecay
Member since 2005 • 4298 Posts
[QUOTE="bigevil_rashek"]

roadkill88

Who is diagreeing with you here? Do you think the console war has now ended, and that no more votes will be taken? Sorry, but its only getting started. Of course the PS3 will be in last place when it was released last, duh. Lets see which place its in come 2010/11, shall we?

Lets drop the kindergarten mentality.

Still last place unless the 360 stops selling, period.

ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts

knight-k

bingo. Ps3 sells most because of Sony's reputation. It doesn't have many good games out yet. Who has support their consoles the longest?Sony.

geordie73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 geordie73
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts

sony will be forever playing catch up to MS now, new xbox 3 years max, new ps got to be at least 5 years away, at least!

the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the_h_bomb
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts
The PS3 will destroy the 360 like the DS destroyed the PSP
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
not all ps2 users will buy a ps3
roadkill88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 roadkill88

sony will be forever playing catch up to MS now, new xbox 3 years max, new ps got to be at least 5 years away, at least!

geordie73

Do you understand that releasing another console so soon as basically admitting that your previous console couldn't get the job done?

IamNotReal_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 IamNotReal_
Member since 2008 • 57 Posts
Ps3 is dumb, it has the worst online and doesn't have halo 3.
Lo_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 Lo_Rising
Member since 2007 • 930 Posts
360 is far from finished, but the ps3 will start to close the gap.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

[QUOTE="Duckyindiana"]You cows go on about the PS3 selling well when it had no games then i got to say the 360 is doing well for a console that you cows claim breaks every 5 mins!Gamerboi27

you lems go on about the ps3 having no games...when it has great games

So did Xbox and Gamecube but that didn't stop every Sony fan from bashing their game library every time they could.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Wow, you brought up the same list of games that get attached to the PS3 every time someone has made a list since E3 2005, how original.

The PS3 will pass the 360 in sales eventually, at this point it's almost inevitable, passing the 360's library in quality titles overall is another story.

I don't get upset when second rate things pass better things in sales, I quit caring about stuff like that around the time fiddy cent bulletproof outsold Okami, Ico and SotC.

There is no comparason in the difference in playtime that my 360 and PS3 recieves. I've put more hours into Gears of War alone than into every single game that's ever been in my PS3.

If you only own one system it's fine and there a plenty of games that will keep you occupied if you want to settle for second or third best library, but multiplat owners know what they would pick if they could only own one system and it's not the PS3.

I still like it overall and owning it is better than not owning it but when it comes to games there is no logical argument that can make it look better.

You go ahead and enjoy your sales ownage when it eventually comes, I'll be over here enjoying games.

flatline711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 flatline711
Member since 2005 • 2015 Posts

Ps3 is dumb, it has the worst online and doesn't have halo 3.IamNotReal_

._. :roll:

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
sales are slowing down, yep.. but same could happen to wii and ps3
flatline711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 flatline711
Member since 2005 • 2015 Posts

fiddy cent bulletproof outsold Okami, Ico and SotC.

Riverwolf007

To this day that still upsets me.

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts
[QUOTE="knight-k"]

ff7isnumbaone

bingo. Ps3 sells most because of Sony's reputation. It doesn't have many good games out yet. Who has support their consoles the longest?Sony.

Um... the xbox 360 sold 10 million in its first year too... that is without Japan(well like 400k was from Japan)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163829.html

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Always-Honest
[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

flatline711

agreed. it's further proof that kidsare more concerned with image than playing great games..

bigevil_rashek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bigevil_rashek
[QUOTE="bigevil_rashek"]

roadkill88

Who is diagreeing with you here? Do you think the console war has now ended, and that no more votes will be taken? Sorry, but its only getting started. Of course the PS3 will be in last place when it was released last, duh. Lets see which place its in come 2010/11, shall we?

Lets drop the kindergarten mentality.

And you think the 360 will magically stop selling and MS will pul thre plug this year? Who has kindergarden mentality now? When the xbox was being outsold by the PS2 last gen, did MS pull the plug? They won't and the PS3 ill go ahead eventually, but will that make you feel better, that you are playing a system ahead of a console and is selling? If the ps3 stops selling, will you abandon your machine because it doesn't sell? I think fanboys like you would because you can't argue. Geez i think playing sales gives you more saatisfaction than playing games.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts
I think that all the consoles are good. My advice is get all three is you can. they are all great. But to be honest the ps3 does have the better lineup at the moment, I doubt MS would leave any suprises this late. This year many of the games everyone has been waiting for is coming out.
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts
ok i have a question for you tc, do you own a 360?
cbux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cbux
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Even if the PS3 does surpass the 360, something must be said about just how well Microsoft has competed in this gen and about how much marketshare they have taken from Sony. And also, about just how poorly the PS3 has done, considering that Sony has had a complete dominance of the industry since PS1 ("120mil PS2s..." :roll: ). Sony's own arrogance has cause them to fail, and the only thing that's kept the PS3 afloat, up till this point, is brand loyalty.
geordie73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 geordie73
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts
[QUOTE="geordie73"]

roadkill88

Do you understand that releasing another console so soon as basically admitting that your previous console couldn't get the job done?

and do you understand technology races at an incredible speed? 5 years max should be a systems life span. whats a few hundred quid every 5 years? nothing if you want to see the best that can be done with a console. pc gamers have to upgrade yearly if they want high end stuff. but as to your question, if a huge fan base with an amazing library of games and a widely respected online service isn't getting the job done, then i agree.

Lothenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lothenon
Member since 2003 • 1177 Posts

Do you accept that in 2008 the 360 will fail against the PS3 again, only this time even worse?roadkill88

Yes, I accept that. I think it's obvious that the PS3 finally picked up some pace, and now that the format war is won, 2008 is the first year where buying a PS3 might actually be a good idea, there are even some games now that I am interested in. 06/07 were the prime years of the X360 I think.

However, I don't see why it should matter to me. If no games were released for X360 in '08, I still won't have played everything great that there is to play on the console, plus, there are many Wii and DS games waiting for me.

So yes. The PS3 is shaping up to be the thing it promised to be, something the Wii has not yet managed to do. But as a X360/PS2/Wii/DS owner, I still don't want the thing. And even if by `09, the X360 would be dead, it will still have been a huge success, and one of the best systems I ever owned, with a fantastic library. I'm not mad that PS3 owners are now getting their share of the pie. I'm glad for them.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
[QUOTE="flatline711"][QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

Always-Honest

agreed. it's further proof that kidsare more concerned with image than playing great games..

What a heartbreaker for people who are actually concerned about where the game industry is at. Slap some crap liscence on a game and sell 2 million copies while great games fail at retail.

What a shame for us that marketing and hype sell over quality.

R.I.P. Psychonaughts, Dragonquest 8, Beyond Good and Evil, Panzer Dragoon Orta and all the rest that failed at retail.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc39ee132cf4
deactivated-5fc39ee132cf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5fc39ee132cf4
Member since 2006 • 2465 Posts
lol Home............
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Always-Honest

What a heartbreaker for people who are actually concerned about where the game industry is at. Slap some crap liscence on a game and sell 2 million copies while great games fail at retail.

What a shame for us that marketing and hype sell over quality.

R.I.P. Psychonaughts, Dragonquest 8, Beyond Good and Evil, Panzer Dragoon Orta and all the rest that failed at retail.

Riverwolf007

yep, rip quality and originality

Pokeratxbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pokeratxbox
Member since 2007 • 262 Posts

Question:

roadkill88

Let me answer your question

- how is the 360 line-up weak? its got a lots good games coming the ps3 won't see, plus they are FAR more varied

-So a game that suppose to come out last year, a fighter that been matched, a second life rip-off that resmble a mmo, a game that xna matches easily, a launch shooter, and a sequal to flop suppose to destroy what the 360 line?

-good for movies goers, has nothing to do with games .yet

-I'm pretty sure a majority aren't brand loyal and will get the console with the game(wii.360,etc)

I Think the 360 will have a great year

question is, So will the ps3?

thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
oh my goodenss, why would i want to buy a ps3 when there are no games that remotely interest me?