The #1 reason not to buy a PS3 - Ethics

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts
This is the real reason why nobody should buy a PS3. Don't say that it has no good games, because that's just not true. The current lineup is pretty weak, but future titles are going to be awesome, no matter how shaky the technology they are running on. The reason that you should not get a PS3 is because of ethics, morality.

Sony, as a company, is rude, uncaring, controlling and bordering on evil. The number of times they have been caught out doing things which are just plain illegal is astonishing - the most famous is probably their theft of rumble from immersion corp, which they then covered by tieing immersion corp up in appeals and expensive lawyers for years. But the one which made me change my mind is this:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2005-11-17-sony-rootkit_x.htm

Now, I know this is old news, but it's not widely known or talked about, and it's absolutely shocking. Sony doesn't care about their customers or even the law - their only goal is to make as much money as possible in any way they can.

I am a big PS brand fan. Until the wii came out, the PS2 was the only console I had ever bought. I love my PS2 games, and I am very excited about the next generation of those games, games like Final Fantasy 13, White Knight Story, Fifth Phantom Saga, Ratchet and Clank 5 and Heavenly Sword. But I am turning away from these games and others, because sometimes, you have to do what's right, even when it results in discomfort for you. Instead, I will read the previews and reviews of these games avidly, and await the day that they come to a console which is not owned by Sony.

As of today, I am boycotting the PS3, the PSP, and as many other sony products as possible, and I urge you all to do the same, even if you do want FF13 really badly. Especially if you want FF13 really badly.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts
This is the real reason why nobody should buy a PS3. Don't say that it has no good games, because that's just not true. The current lineup is pretty weak, but future titles are going to be awesome, no matter how shaky the technology they are running on. The reason that you should not get a PS3 is because of ethics, morality. Sony, as a company, is rude, uncaring, controlling and bordering on evil. The number of times they have been caught out doing things which are just plain illegal is astonishing - the most famous is probably their theft of rumble from immersion corp, which they then covered by tieing immersion corp up in appeals and expensive lawyers for years. But the one which made me change my mind is this:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2005-11-17-sony-rootkit_x.htm

Now, I know this is old news, but it's not widely known or talked about, and it's absolutely shocking. Sony doesn't care about their customers or even the law - their only goal is to make as much money as possible in any way they can.

I am a big PS brand fan. Until the wii came out, the PS2 was the only console I had ever bought. I love my PS2 games, and I am very excited about the next generation of those games, games like Final Fantasy 13, White Knight Story, Fifth Phantom Saga, Ratchet and Clank 5 and Heavenly Sword. But I am turning away from these games and others, because sometimes, you have to do what's right, even when it results in discomfort for you. Instead, I will read the previews and reviews of these games avidly, and await the day that they come to a console which is not owned by Sony.

As of today, I am boycotting the PS3, the PSP, and as many other sony products as possible, and I urge you all to do the same, even if you do want FF13 really badly. Especially if you want FF13 really badly.
chutup

PRESS ENTER TWICE

Just fixing your block of text.

Carry on.
Illumination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Illumination
Member since 2005 • 2109 Posts
The ps3 doesnt have any good games. That is a proven fact. ANyone who disputes this doesnt know video games. The ps3 is also technologically inferior to the 360 which came out a year earlier, actual videogames prove this. ps3 games are graphically inferior to 360 games as well and will continue to be so for their entire life span. The ps3 better start picking up & sellin g soon cause a 10 year project isn't going to last 10 years if sales are in the toilet. Sony can keep the ps3 on store shelves as long as they want but its not going to just magically shoot up to first place in 5 years when the next-next gen starts with no games and no console sales cause the ps3 also has nothing coming down the pipeline for software in the next few years. Everythings going multi-platform. 
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chutup
[QUOTE="chutup"]
Velocitas8

PRESS ENTER TWICE

Just fixing your block of text.

Carry on.

fixed. Happy now?
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts

fixed. Happy now?
chutup

It really does help.
craigx42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 craigx42
Member since 2004 • 108 Posts
I really hope you don't shop at wallmart.
GXR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 GXR
Member since 2003 • 1476 Posts

The ps3 doesnt have any good games. That is a proven fact. ANyone who disputes this doesnt know video games. The ps3 is also technologically inferior to the 360 which came out a year earlier, actual videogames prove this. ps3 games are graphically inferior to 360 games as well and will continue to be so for their entire life span. The ps3 better start picking up & sellin g soon cause a 10 year project isn't going to last 10 years if sales are in the toilet. Sony can keep the ps3 on store shelves as long as they want but its not going to just magically shoot up to first place in 5 years when the next-next gen starts with no games and no console sales cause the ps3 also has nothing coming down the pipeline for software in the next few years. Everythings going multi-platform. Illumination77

I love it when people mix facts with opinions...

At this time the PS3 doesnt have any good games.. But the linup is quite good.

Kizzle28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 Kizzle28
Member since 2004 • 796 Posts
People sit there and laugh about hating a company.  But in reality, we need our voices to be heard if we are to exact change in the world in which we want to live.

Sony is a poor excuse for a company.  And by not supporting them, we all can affect change in them.  Even Sony has a chance at redemption.  But if we continue to buy their products then the hypocrisy will not be heard, it will not be seen.  For us to send Sony a message, we need to stay vigilant and not support them.  TV's, mp3 players, Blu-Ray players, PS3's, DVD players, buy nothing from them.  And when they see that the consumers aren't buying their crap, only then will they change.  When you buy a PS3, or anything from Sony, then noone will know the hypocrisy and deception even exist.

People may laugh, but this is important.  In the end, you have people's jobs on the line.  And if Sony continues to do what they do, then it will be Sony's employees who feel the pinch.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shungokustasu
Member since 2004 • 7190 Posts
This is the real reason why nobody should buy a PS3. Don't say that it has no good games, because that's just not true. The current lineup is pretty weak, but future titles are going to be awesome, no matter how shaky the technology they are running on. The reason that you should not get a PS3 is because of ethics, morality.

Sony, as a company, is rude, uncaring, controlling and bordering on evil. The number of times they have been caught out doing things which are just plain illegal is astonishing - the most famous is probably their theft of rumble from immersion corp, which they then covered by tieing immersion corp up in appeals and expensive lawyers for years. But the one which made me change my mind is this:

chutup
*plays violin with such sweet and soft melodies.* I'm trying to set the mood.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shungokustasu
The ps3 doesnt have any good games. That is a proven fact. ANyone who disputes this doesnt know video games. The ps3 is also technologically inferior to the 360 which came out a year earlier, actual videogames prove this. ps3 games are graphically inferior to 360 games as well and will continue to be so for their entire life span. The ps3 better start picking up & sellin g soon cause a 10 year project isn't going to last 10 years if sales are in the toilet. Sony can keep the ps3 on store shelves as long as they want but its not going to just magically shoot up to first place in 5 years when the next-next gen starts with no games and no console sales cause the ps3 also has nothing coming down the pipeline for software in the next few years. Everythings going multi-platform. Illumination77
In bold, You stated a opinion that can not be proven wrong or right. Yet, you say it's fact. How is that possible?
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chutup
[QUOTE="chutup"]This is the real reason why nobody should buy a PS3. Don't say that it has no good games, because that's just not true. The current lineup is pretty weak, but future titles are going to be awesome, no matter how shaky the technology they are running on. The reason that you should not get a PS3 is because of ethics, morality.

shungokustasu

lol that did make me laugh
but I'm quite serious about this
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shungokustasu
[QUOTE="shungokustasu"][QUOTE="chutup"]This is the real reason why nobody should buy a PS3. Don't say that it has no good games, because that's just not true. The current lineup is pretty weak, but future titles are going to be awesome, no matter how shaky the technology they are running on. The reason that you should not get a PS3 is because of ethics, morality.

chutup

Satire. What I wrote sums up how I feel about your bitter complaint. Also, my sig does as well.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chutup
[QUOTE="chutup"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"][QUOTE="chutup"]This is the real reason why nobody should buy a PS3. Don't say that it has no good games, because that's just not true. The current lineup is pretty weak, but future titles are going to be awesome, no matter how shaky the technology they are running on. The reason that you should not get a PS3 is because of ethics, morality.

shungokustasu

Satire. What I wrote sums up how I feel about your bitter complaint. Also, my sig does as well.

I don't get it. Are you cow, lemming or manticore?
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shungokustasu
A man with logic. Also, A huge Sony Fanman.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chutup
A man with logic. Also, A huge Sony Fanman.shungokustasu

:evil: then the next time we meet shall be on the battlefield.
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts
The ps3 doesnt have any good games. That is a proven fact. ANyone who disputes this doesnt know video games. The ps3 is also technologically inferior to the 360 which came out a year earlier, actual videogames prove this. ps3 games are graphically inferior to 360 games as well and will continue to be so for their entire life span. The ps3 better start picking up & sellin g soon cause a 10 year project isn't going to last 10 years if sales are in the toilet. Sony can keep the ps3 on store shelves as long as they want but its not going to just magically shoot up to first place in 5 years when the next-next gen starts with no games and no console sales cause the ps3 also has nothing coming down the pipeline for software in the next few years. Everythings going multi-platform. Illumination77
Hmm, I dispute that. Oh no!!! Does that mean I don't know video games? I feel that Resistance is an amazing game, more than good. Too bad I don't know about games :(.
Rip870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rip870
Member since 2006 • 1232 Posts

chutup

omg this is pathethic. You think  sony is the only bad company in the world? You know MS is pretty bad to.

MS are getting suid for billions in EU for monopoly.  American company's is famous to walk over bodies to make a profit. Look at Enron. And look at all American

company's that get ride of they chemicals and toxic waste they dump them in rivers and lake. So people get

deceses. And should i mention the war in Iraq? I bet halliburton love Dick cheney for that invasion . And Dick cheney probably feels pretty good about that war to, after all what difference does 3000 American soldiers life

mean when you can make a profit.

shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shungokustasu
[QUOTE="shungokustasu"]A man with logic. Also, A huge Sony Fanman.chutup

Should I be intimidate by a guy who is a Nintendo Fanboy? I mean...pokemon, dude...pokemon.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chutup
[QUOTE="chutup"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"]A man with logic. Also, A huge Sony Fanman.shungokustasu

Should I be intimidate by a guy who is a Nintendo Fanboy? I mean...pokemon, dude...pokemon.

so much for logic. I'm no nintendo fanboy - I love my PS2 and want to get a 360. And I have this gaming PC I'm typing on right now. As for pokemon, I'm not really into it anymore, but it's a great introduction to RPGs for little kids. You know, you start on pokemon, like marijuana, then you move on to FF, like cocaine.
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Episode_Eve
[QUOTE="chutup"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"]A man with logic. Also, A huge Sony Fanman.shungokustasu

What does Pokemon have anything to do with his post? Plus he was probably just playing.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

[QUOTE="chutup"]This is the real reason why nobody should buy a PS3. Don't say that it has no good games, because that's just not true. The current lineup is pretty weak, but future titles are going to be awesome, no matter how shaky the technology they are running on. The reason that you should not get a PS3 is because of ethics, morality.

Rip870

omg this is pathethic. You think sony is the only bad company in the world? You know MS is pretty bad to.

MS are getting suid for billions in EU for monopoly. American company's is famous to walk over bodies to make a profit. Look at Enron. And look at all American

company's that get ride of they chemicals and toxic waste they dump them in rivers and lake. So people get

deceses. And should i mention the war in Iraq? I bet halliburton love Dick cheney for that invasion . And Dick cheney probably feels pretty good about that war to, after all what difference does 3000 American soldiers life

Unfortunately however, we're here to discuss Sony, not Halliburton or Dick Cheney.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shungokustasu
[QUOTE="shungokustasu"][QUOTE="chutup"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"]A man with logic. Also, A huge Sony Fanman.Episode_Eve

What does Pokemon have anything to do with his post? Plus he was probably just playing.

I was joking too.
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Episode_Eve

Rip870

omg this is pathethic. You think sony is the only bad company in the world? You know MS is pretty bad to.

MS are getting suid for billions in EU for monopoly. American company's is famous to walk over bodies to make a profit. Look at Enron. And look at all American

company's that get ride of they chemicals and toxic waste they dump them in rivers and lake. So people get

Dang man, that was a great post :).
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chutup
[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"][QUOTE="chutup"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"]A man with logic. Also, A huge Sony Fanman.shungokustasu

I was joking too.

you're too confusing. Good night.
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Episode_Eve
[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"][QUOTE="chutup"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"]A man with logic. Also, A huge Sony Fanman.shungokustasu

I was joking too.

Then I am the one who was fooled :P
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Thats why I refuse to buy a PS3.

Other people let them know it's ok to keep doing what there doing... By buying a PS3. So next time they will do it again.

PS2 anyone?

Least Microsoft is strong enough to take them on. R.I.P. Sega.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Episode_Eve
[QUOTE="chutup"]This is the real reason why nobody should buy a PS3. Don't say that it has no good games, because that's just not true. The current lineup is pretty weak, but future titles are going to be awesome, no matter how shaky the technology they are running on. The reason that you should not get a PS3 is because of ethics, morality. Sony, as a company, is rude, uncaring, controlling and bordering on evil. The number of times they have been caught out doing things which are just plain illegal is astonishing - the most famous is probably their theft of rumble from immersion corp, which they then covered by tieing immersion corp up in appeals and expensive lawyers for years. But the one which made me change my mind is this: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2005-11-17-sony-rootkit_x.htm Now, I know this is old news, but it's not widely known or talked about, and it's absolutely shocking. Sony doesn't care about their customers or even the law - their only goal is to make as much money as possible in any way they can. I am a big PS brand fan. Until the wii came out, the PS2 was the only console I had ever bought. I love my PS2 games, and I am very excited about the next generation of those games, games like Final Fantasy 13, White Knight Story, Fifth Phantom Saga, Ratchet and Clank 5 and Heavenly Sword. But I am turning away from these games and others, because sometimes, you have to do what's right, even when it results in discomfort for you. Instead, I will read the previews and reviews of these games avidly, and await the day that they come to a console which is not owned by Sony. As of today, I am boycotting the PS3, the PSP, and as many other sony products as possible, and I urge you all to do the same, even if you do want FF13 really badly. Especially if you want FF13 really badly.

As far as the rumble ordeal, Sony did not steal the idea. The company sued all three and Sony was just the one who didn't settle out of court. And of course they lost that battle. Sony has a fantastic machine. Saying that people shouldn't buy a great machine because of a couple of negative moves isn't fair. They are not the only company that does things like that. Now would you go to your favorite restaurant and refuse a chef's cooking (delicious as it is) if you find out that he is an A-hole?
LordXelNaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LordXelNaga
Member since 2005 • 1161 Posts

chutup

For a second there I thought you confused the names Sony and Microsoft.  And really, what do you think is worse, Sony fighting through the courts against an unjust patent to set a precedent or do what Microsoft did and simply buy half the company thus setting a bad example for patent snipes.
hojobojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hojobojo
Member since 2005 • 1268 Posts
People sit there and laugh about hating a company. But in reality, we need our voices to be heard if we are to exact change in the world in which we want to live.

Sony is a poor excuse for a company. And by not supporting them, we all can affect change in them. Even Sony has a chance at redemption. But if we continue to buy their products then the hypocrisy will not be heard, it will not be seen. For us to send Sony a message, we need to stay vigilant and not support them. TV's, mp3 players, Blu-Ray players, PS3's, DVD players, buy nothing from them. And when they see that the consumers aren't buying their crap, only then will they change. When you buy a PS3, or anything from Sony, then noone will know the hypocrisy and deception even exist.

People may laugh, but this is important. In the end, you have people's jobs on the line. And if Sony continues to do what they do, then it will be Sony's employees who feel the pinch.
Kizzle28
sxs_alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 sxs_alex
Member since 2007 • 933 Posts
it 's funny to see someone goes to an extent length to make the ps3 look bad. there's really no point in bringing up the rootkit's past because it has nothing to do with the ps3. it had to do with the music industry. sony did went overboad with it and have learned from their mistake, and if they continued with this type of activity then it's over for them. losing the consumers' trust will impact their sell. but you have to admit their hardware are very solid. psp is another example. so your whole purpose of creating this topic is to convince people not to buy a ps3. should we buy a Wii instead? after reading it it still doesn't convince me to return it. thanks for trying. next time tell everybody not to buy it because you don't want them to. keep it real. lol
orangeonxbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 orangeonxbox
Member since 2005 • 429 Posts
Sony seems to be in the star wars trap; they started out as clones here to save the galaxy, and turned into stormtroopers.
ROLFCHANK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ROLFCHANK
Member since 2006 • 1085 Posts

Rip870

very intelligent and illuminating post. make bumper stickers with some of those slogans.
Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Cook66
Member since 2004 • 5182 Posts

chutup
Wow, that article won me over. I am not sure if I'm ready to boycot sony though... Currently I own several Sony products, all which is going to be changed for newer stuff soon, and I will not replace them with other Sony products after what i just read. However, I am not sure I' ready to boycott the PS3... I want the games which is included... It's a hard choice to make, a very hard one. I also want to boycott EA Games for their spyware, but I'm not sure I can... :(
Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Cook66
Member since 2004 • 5182 Posts
[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"] Now would you go to your favorite restaurant and refuse a chef's cooking (delicious as it is) if you find out that he is an A-hole?

Yes I would.
CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
Sony, as a company, is rude, uncaring, controlling and bordering on evil. The number of times they have been caught out doing things which are just plain illegal is astonishing - the most famous is probably their theft of rumble from immersion corp, which they then covered by tieing immersion corp up in appeals and expensive lawyers for years. But the one which made me change my mind is this:chutup

You do realize that Mircosoft was also sued by Immersion not just Sony.

Microsoft was also sued by Anascape Link for infringing on 12 patents

Microsoft was also sued by Lucent earlier last year Link

Microsoft was also sued by Mythic for trademark infringment and unfair competition Link

So what is your point? Microsoft has been sued just as much if not more than Sony for infringment of patents.
Doomshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Doomshine
Member since 2004 • 908 Posts
Perhaps you shouldn't buy any console then, to be completely safe.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
I really hope you don't shop at wallmart.craigx42
Something wall-mart this way comes...
bayolau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 bayolau
Member since 2005 • 488 Posts
LOL. what about Microsoft?

what about corporations like WalMart?

what about all countries that ignored Kyoto protocol like United States and China?

You really have to be a monk from the mountains to say this kind of stuff.
fanboy999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 fanboy999
Member since 2003 • 1444 Posts
When is the last time you heard of the CEO of Sony donating billions of his own dollars to fight world hunger and disease? Never, that's when. Even if Microsoft lied in the past at least Bill Gates cares about more than money and is willing to donate a good portion of it to charity. That is why Sony is evil. They would sooner dropship a load of useless UMD movies into Africa then actually spend a cent to help someone.
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts
Wait...you are making an arguement for ethics regarding Sony? Care to include Microsoft there, bud? Cause they certainly deserve it even more.
bayolau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 bayolau
Member since 2005 • 488 Posts
When is the last time you heard of the CEO of Sony donating billions of his own dollars to fight world hunger and disease? Never, that's when. Even if Microsoft lied in the past at least Bill Gates cares about more than money and is willing to donate a good portion of it to charity. That is why Sony is evil. They would sooner dropship a load of useless UMD movies into Africa then actually spend a cent to help someone.fanboy999
I thought we're talking about the business ethics of certain corporation. The private life of individual employee is totally irrelevant, especially when Gates is one of the wealthiest guy on the planet.
DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
Hating the PS3 is sooo 2006.
TripleXAlexXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TripleXAlexXx
Member since 2006 • 867 Posts

Rip870

omg this is pathethic. You think  sony is the only bad company in the world? You know MS is pretty bad to.

MS are getting suid for billions in EU for monopoly.  American company's is famous to walk over bodies to make a profit. Look at Enron. And look at all American

company's that get ride of they chemicals and toxic waste they dump them in rivers and lake. So people get

Bad or not, MS's customers were not treated like worthless irrelevant idiots, which is how Sony thinks if it's fans. And considering the MILLIONS MS donates to many charitys, I don't think they are that evil. Monopoly.... maybe....... but atleast they are giving a quality and desirable product while they do so.
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts
I guess if you can't come up with a good, logical reason...make up a really crazy one.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#50 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I really hope you don't shop at wallmart.craigx42

LOL - that's funny.