That Cloud, popping back up again smh. CRACKDOWN-XB1

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

http://www.xboxmad.net/x/cloudgine-bigs-up-the-cloud.html

Cloud processing remains an enigma for many gamers. Amidst the furore of doubt over DX12 gains for Xbox One, doubt over whether HoloLens can truly deliver on it's insane tech demo, another pillar of magical Microsoft promises has been forgotten.

Cloud processing is the practice of offloading computational data utilizing your internet connection, rather than your local hardware. Theoretically, a stable internet connection can provide ridiculous processing gains for rendering objects that rely on heavy computational data, like physics emulation. Key word being theoretically.

Cloudgine are developing Crackdown for Xbox One, a game which seeks to take the concept of procedural destruction to the next level. A verified Cloudgine developer took to NeoGAF to lay claims on the technology.

"On another note, the latest installment is known to be heavily supported with the cloud(TM). Yayaya … That stupid cloud talk again ;) I know you can not hear it anymore. What I want to say though is: your local gaming mashine does not have enough calculation power to run our game engine. I think we always communicated it that way and there is no reason not to be honest here. If you want to deliver something that has never been done before in that kind of scale, then you can not make compromises. We totally know that there are huge risks involved. But this is the route we will take. We are super confident here and can’t wait to get out of the dark. Personally, I can totally understand that there are huge doubts. I’m not an idiot. Too many games did things wrong or communicated something wrong. People want to see what cloud computing can be used to in gaming. So give a chance at least on showing this. I think that would be fair. It’s up to us to deliver on your bolded sentence. Again – personally – I want to see you playing this game really thinking “holy SHIT why doesn’t my mashine burn already?”. We want to achieve this. And we’re working super hard to get to that point."

Crackdown's destruction engine can be seen in prototypical form below, and seems ridiculously impressive. Whether or not it can be pulled off in the real world remains to be seen - given consumer internet speeds are more than likely less stable than whatever dedicated pipes Microsoft uses

More

Crackdown XB1 info below:

http://www.crossmap.com/news/crackdown-3-release-date-and-updates-crackdown-to-be-released-excusive-to-xbox-one-15579

Well my goodness. Microsoft really isn't letting this Cloud thing go, are they? They must really being doing something with it.

Really though, MS really seems more and more like the real deal lately. They seem to be trying to innovate with their tech AND their games...while Sony seem like the pretenders in this here video game, game. I mean, cows are waiting for The Order 1886 to release to act as if they have something worthwhile on the ps4 for goodness sake. And the whole H1Z1 debacle, my goodness.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Offloading physics onto the cloud is completely possible. This is already known. How well itll work and on what scale it can be done hasnt been seen yet, but Im really excited about Crackdown. I remember I posted that prototype video some time ago, and I think its promising.

Will this have an impact on graphical fidelity? Most assuredly no, but physics on that scale would have a demonstrably bigger impact on the gameplay than graphics.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Videos are dead.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

so if their engine is too powerful to run on my local machine, what happens when I don't have internet access?

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By wolverine4262

@lostrib: You cant play the game. How often is that the case though?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib

@wolverine4262 said:

uh, depends how stupid my apartment's third party intermediate feels like being.

But it seems kind of shitty for a single player game.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wolverine4262

@lostrib said:

uh, depends how stupid my apartment's third party intermediate feels like being.

Wouldnt be the first time. Many console games require an internet connection now. And Dragon Age Inquisition does too.

One thing is that it shouldnt require a substantial amount of bandwidth. The cloud physics rendering would only be sending coordinates (literally numbers). There will be some milliseconds of lag though.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Doubters and haters talk shit on The Cloud. It will be here for Crackdown 3 soon enough. The dev for CD3 says this game wouldn't be possible just running on hardware alone. This is the future.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lostrib

@Tighaman said:

@lostrib: Man you stay online you have almost 40000 post on this site alone since 09 stop with the dont have internet bs, because 15 post a day for 6 years let me know the internet is your life.

are you serious?

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

@wolverine4262: Dragon Age: Inquisition does not "require" an internet connection. Don't know where you picked that up.

Anyways, this kind of sucks to see SP games demanding an internet connection to play. I've experienced several situations playing Destiny where my internet had lost contact with the Destiny servers out of the blue, and I get returned to the start screen and my progress in a story mission was not saved.

I wont support games that hold SP games hostage to the internet in the future because of stuff like that.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

The only thing that annoys me about "always on" data connections and "the Cloud" are things like when you internet is out for a few weeks and you are stuck staring at menus because even your single player game requires internet. Other than that it has huge benefits. But those few moments in between can be annoying.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wolverine4262

@Zen_Light: Oh really? I thought it did. First thing the game does when you start it up is connect to the EA servers. Guess thats not required?

At least in situations like this, the internet connection is used to expand the gameplay and not simply as drm or the like.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50620 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

@Zen_Light: Oh really? I thought it did. First thing the game does when you start it up is connect to the EA servers. Guess thats not required?

At least in situations like this, the internet connection is used to expand the gameplay and not simply as drm or the like.

Ya, it's not required for DA

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zen_Light

@wolverine4262 said:

When you start the game there is a brief status screen that says it's searching or connecting to EA servers, but if you're not connected to the net it goes away after a minute or two and you can play the game normally.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wolverine4262

My mistake.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wolverine4262

@Zen_Light said:

I wont support games that hold SP games hostage to the internet in the future because of stuff like that.

Wait, seriously? The game wouldnt be possibly otherwise. This isnt something like Sim City. This actually affects the gameplay. Its not a just because or DRM scenario. They have to do that to make the game they want.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zen_Light

@wolverine4262 said:

@Zen_Light said:

Wait, seriously? The game wouldnt be possibly otherwise. This isnt something like Sim City. This actually affects the gameplay. Its not a just because or DRM scenario. They have to do that to make the game they want.

That's fine, but I wont be playing it despite being interested in it since E3. After Destiny I'll never again support games that require internet for SP content.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wolverine4262

@Zen_Light said:

That's fine, but I wont be playing it despite being interested in it since E3. After Destiny I'll never again support games that require internet for SP content.

You say thats fine and then that you wont play it because of that. OK.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zen_Light

@wolverine4262 said:

@Zen_Light said:

You say thats fine and then that you wont play it because of that. OK.

I say "it's fine" because I'll still have tons of other games to play that don't force an internet connection for SP games. I just can't support products I feel are going down a wrong path for the future.

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

I smell a Crackdowngrade coming.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wolverine4262

@Zen_Light said:

I say "it's fine" because I'll still have tons of other games to play that don't force an internet connection for SP games. I just can't support products I feel are going down a wrong path for the future.

Finding a way to allow for city scale physics destruction is a "wrong path for the future"?

I would completely agree if this was about DRM, but its not at all. The internet connection is actually being used in a meaningful way.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Are these videos working for anyone? Cuz, I wanted to point and laugh if this was the tech demo being done with a server farm in the same building.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zen_Light

@wolverine4262 said:

@Zen_Light said:

Finding a way to allow for city scale physics destruction is a "wrong path for the future"?

I would completely agree if this was about DRM, but its not at all. The internet connection is actually being used in a meaningful way.

What happens if your connection loses contact with their server? Will I lose my progress and be taken out of the game world if it does? If it's anything like Destiny then the answer is yes, you lose your progress and are returned to the start screen with no apology.

My concerns have nothing to do with DRM, just accountability. We've yet to see how they plan on handling this. It could be they have a delay if the player loses contact with the server for a few seconds, so it might not be a problem. But if it's handled like Destiny then yeah, that's a major problem as far as I'm concerned.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wolverine4262

@Zen_Light: Yeah, we dont know what will happen in that instance. Even if that were the case, its a small price to pay for what we will hopefully get.

I played Destiny with freedomfreak quite a bit. The good thing about co-oping is that when he did disconnect, he was able to rejoin me incredibly fast and in pretty much any situation. I think they handled that aspect as well as they could.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@lostrib said:

@wolverine4262 said:

crack down has always been about co-op. if you're playing it single player then you're doing it wrong.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Tighaman said:

@lostrib: Man you stay online you have almost 40000 post on this site alone since 09 stop with the dont have internet bs, because 15 post a day for 6 years let me know the internet is your life.

are you serious?

English was never pnf's strong suit.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Not a big deal when people buy every Halo game, CoD, Titanfall, BF, counter strike,basically every fps out just for multiplayer, if their net goes down, they can't play. And before you say "but they can still play single player" HAHA, who buys those games for the single player, well apart from me.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@Tighaman: I dislike u with a passion.. But that lostrib comment about the Internet being his life had me dying

Avatar image for indigenous_euphoria
indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 indigenous_euphoria
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

I don't know why so many people are freakin out about needing an internet connection to play a game?? games like halo and KZ use a internet connection all the fuckin time and people don't bitch and moan about that....at least not anymore. I remember back before online gaming when people didn't think it would work lol....or were like why would you want to game on line??....it takes all the fun out of getting together for lan parties. Look how turned out lol

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Anybody remember how terrible Crackdown 2 was? Why M$ invests in this series instead of their other IPs I'll never know.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wolverine4262

@UnbiasedPoster: Crackdown 2 was terrible because they DIDNT invest in it. The ip has plenty of potential.

Crackdown 2 was made in less than a year start to finish.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Won't get it if I need to have online. But i'm interested in what happens with it.

12Danny123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 12Danny123
Member since 2014 • 110 Posts

damn. I have no idea why gamers don't want to move forward with tech. If you guys don't like cloud tech. Then go back into your rock

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Better not play WoW, any MMO for that matter, LoL, Dota, CS,Halo, I don't know why people are exited to play Planetside 2 on Ps4, what happens when the internet goes down? Unsubscribe yourselves from Netfix, Amazon and the multitude of online streaming services, might as well quit Gamespot for that matter as you can't post if the net goes down. This whole argument is terrible.

Edit: Oh dam those 20million+ people playing minecraft might as well give it up right now.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@lostrib said:

@wolverine4262 said:

crack down has always been about co-op. if you're playing it single player then you're doing it wrong.

more like if you own an x1, you're doing it wrong.

nogames

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Lems getting ready for the next sekrit sauce after GDC disappoints?

Dat clawd powwa, maybe MS will one day show it outside of a controlled environment.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@lostrib said:

so if their engine is too powerful to run on my local machine, what happens when I don't have internet access?

Can't wait for the PR on this one when it doesn't work at launch.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44195 Posts

SecretSauce, DX12, StormCloud... Late 2015 X1 will be firing on all cylinders, :P

Anyhoo, Crackdown 3 is up there in my list of must have games I just hope it delivers the over the top gaming fun addictive game-play like the first one.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

lol loved how the TC ended off Damage Controlling a soon to be released graphically impressive PS4 exclusive with an experimental and unrealized implementation of tech that is supposed to make xbone perform above it's capabilities for a game that no one has seen and has no release date hahaha.

In other words BELIEVE and JUST WAIT!

@tymeservesfate said:

Well my goodness. Microsoft really isn't letting this Cloud thing go, are they? They must really being doing something with it.

Really though, MS really seems more and more like the real deal lately. They seem to be trying to innovate with their tech AND their games...while Sony seem like the pretenders in this here video game, game. I mean, cows are waiting for The Order 1886 to release to act as if they have something worthwhile on the ps4 for goodness sake. And the whole H1Z1 debacle, my goodness.

Suggesting Crackdown is "worthwhile"? lol, ok then. The Order releases next month and yes an exclusive ground up current gen new IP is indeed worthwhile for PS4 owners, sorry xboners have nothing to play and PS4 getting high profile exclusive games hurts your feelings.

On that note, when does your experimental tech demo game, Crackdown 3, that no one has seen in action release? any time in 2015? holiday 2016 maybe? lol

Lems are so transparent with their butthurt, what this thread has to do with the order I do not know but...

Incredible looking current gen new IP.

Releasing Feb 20, no required online, indefinite waiting, secret sauce PR or clouds required.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GrenadeLauncher

@SecretPolice said:

SecretSauce, DX12, StormCloud... Late 2015 X1 will be firing on all cylinders, :P

And all it took was two years of waiting.

Unless GDC is another bust, in which case it's back to waiting.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44195 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@SecretPolice said:

And all it took was two years of waiting.

Unless GDC is another bust, in which case it's back to waiting.

That frickin alien tech inside X1 takes a while to get your mind around for lowly human beings but their starting to come to grips with the powah & complexity of The One. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Are these videos working for anyone? Cuz, I wanted to point and laugh if this was the tech demo being done with a server farm in the same building.

Nice one, do you have pictures and sources of the server farm in the same building?

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GrenadeLauncher

@SecretPolice said:

That frickin alien tech inside X1 takes a while to get your mind around for lowly human beings but their starting to come to grips with the powah & complexity of The One. :P

da powwa of da mist doe

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

2 years already hearing this bullshit about "teh cloud" and xbone is weaker than ever with their powerful 900p and fps drops, but sunset overdrive and teh titanfalll will use it! just you wait (tm) xD

supergokublitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By supergokublitz
Member since 2005 • 651 Posts

In the ken Lobb interview he states that crackdown 3 will be the first game to properly use cloud for compute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JXs7HVXXmk

skip to 58.40 it's only short about 50 seconds long

The premiere game for cloud compute.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Weird one Crackdown. I really really enjoyed the first. It was new, fresh, fun, early in the gen it helped to establish a new gen's capability. Addictive collecting all those thingiembobs as well.

Then number 2 came out and bored me to tears, and I don't know why. Looking back the first game is so dull compared to what we've seen since I hardly understand what I saw in it. Certainly disinterested in another unless it's a completely different game.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@lostrib said:

I'm assuming you can't play the game...the same as numerous other popular games these days.

Expecting an internet connection isn't exactly an undo burden in 2015.