NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

The biggest gaming company in the world Tencent is now going to exchange blows with Valve for the crown of largest PC platform. The global version of WeGame is in development in Hong Kong and the Hong Kong version will be accessible worldwide. They plan on exposing a global audience to Chinese games. With around 220 games and more coming such as Fortnite and Monster Hunter: World, WeGame is already considered China's largest PC game distributor.

This is interesting perhaps this is the competition Steam has needed in a long time. GoG is good and all but they lack modern games outside of indies, Origin is hardly used outside of EA games and free games, Microsoft Store/XBL still needs to be ironed out a lot and Uplay isn't even on Valve's radar as a threat.

While WeGame may not take off in the West it can certainly steal the growing Chinese and overall Asian demographic that Steam has been building up. A key advantage WeGame would have is that it would have most of the types of games East Asian gamers play and Western titles, a lot of the MMOs and F2P games on Steam are region locked to the West or not on Steam at all so games such as Dungeon Fighter Online, Blade & Soul, League Of Legends, Crossfire could be played on the WeGame platform along with their other Western titles.

An interesting thing that this fight between WeGame and Steam can lead to is exclusives. Tencent is a huge company that throws money around buying shares in games but now they're paying for games to be exclusive to their WeGame platform whether timed or permanent. They've already paid for games such as Rocket League and Paradox games titles such as Cities Skylines to be region blocked out of China on Steam and to be distributed only on their platform. Then there is also the fact that Tencent is somewhat active in having games developed whether by themselves or by companies they own stakes in. Some examples are Monster Hunter Online, Xuan Dou Zhi Wang/King Of Combat online, Rising Fire and Europa. While the quality for most of these games is questionable its still better than Valve doing nearly nothing. There is Riot Games developing a singleplayer spin off the League Of Legends series that right there can be a killer app for the WeGame platform assuming its not another mini game. There is another company they invested into called Seasun and they're currently working on a high end MMOFPS called Project Extopia which can be another possible killer app for them.

Anyway I'm interested to see how this turns when both platforms officially launch.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

PC gaming gets the most boring news. Seriously.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

As long its English subtitled I am in :)

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Very interesting.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#5 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

This is the Microsoft mentality. Question do Western gamers want to play Chinese games? I played that Chinese rig game on steam that I forgot its name and realized how much western RPG's take a sh%$ on it.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NoodleFighter

@needhealing: That's assuming Western gamers even know what Chinese games are out there. What is this Chinese rig game you've played?

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

@needhealing: That's assuming Western gamers even know what Chinese games are out there. What is this Chinese rig game you've played?

Mispelt it. LOL. Chinese Rpg. The Gate of Firmament or something like that.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NoodleFighter

@needhealing: Oh so that is what you played, Xuan Yuan series is built on an incredibly low budget as were most Chinese singleplayer games at the time due to rampant piracy and lack of premium market but that is starting to change you should take a look at the devs upcoming successor in the series it is a step up from the previous titles.

Xuan Yuan 7 clearly has much higher production values. Now that the premium game market is growing and companies are investing more into budgets along with tools such as Unreal Engine 4 being available we're starting see some talent shine.

Swords Of Legends/Gujian is another series if you look at the first two games they're incredibly broken, graphics so outdated that it makes it look older than it really is and have production values so low they make some indie games here in the West look AAA but take a look at Swords Of Legends 3 now they've gotten an actually budget behind them and UE4.

Here is some Gu Jian Qi Tan 2 gameplay and this is a 2013 game

Loading Video...

Now here is the upcoming Gu Jian Qi Tan 3. Now this looks like something a company would proudly show off at a video game conference against other AAA games. China has the talent, they've simply been lacking the funds.

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

EA tried to give Valve competition, but they realized they needed to provide the consumer with value and promptly gave up.

I think it was called Origin, something like that.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Not interested in yet another platform for PC gaming.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

Is the article sourced from Tencent's press news release?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

Best of luck to them.

I'll try them out if they offer a good deal and I can use my keys bought there on Steam (don't see why not) provided they offer all games.

The problem is, my "game library" is pretty much entirely on Steam, and I want it to stay that way.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

What are the odds of being able to use their store from EU with GDPR around?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#14  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

Pretty sure Tencent has enough money to just buy Steam, or even Valve as a whole.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

@Jag85 said:

Pretty sure Tencent has enough money to just buy Steam, or even Valve as a whole.

They do but Valve is a privately owned company and they need to convince Gabe for that to happen. In reality I don't want that to happen, the competition between them will only mean good things for PC gamers.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

Tencent coming for Valve. I like it.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

@Yams1980: No worse than any US corporation tbh. They might not sale those information to whoever.

If you are scared of China getting your CC#, address and SSN they already got it thanks to your favorite American companies.

Chinese rules are strict. I don't think Tencent can escape laws.