Take 2 Board: No alternative to sale

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-cnc-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -cnc-
Member since 2007 • 1468 Posts

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/26268/Take-2-Board-No-alternative-to-sale

Sell-off of US publisher expected to be agreed by shareholders.

An acquisition of Take 2 looks increasingly likely following a statement by the US publisher pointing out that an alternative course of action has yet to be found.

That statement comes ahead of its AGM on Thursday (March 29th) - which had been postponed for just under a week while the Board of Directors investigated the company's future strategy. The Board just last week urged shareholders to consider their options before any sales was agreed.

However, an alternative to a sell-out now looks unlikely, with the statement yesterday offering: "The Board of Directors now believes that it is unlikely to present alternative courses of action prior to the annual meeting... The company is continuing to have discussions with representatives of the shareholder group."

-cnc-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -cnc-
Member since 2007 • 1468 Posts

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070328/20070328006090.html?.v=1

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. to Webcast Annual Meeting of Stockholders

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO - News) announced today that the Company will provide a live listen-only simulcast of the Annual Meeting of Stockholders on Thursday, March 29, 2007 at 4:00 p.m. EDT. The simulcast will be available via the internet only by visiting http://ir.take2games.com/.

Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
Highest bidder = EA. Quote me.
Avatar image for nextgengaming18
nextgengaming18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 nextgengaming18
Member since 2006 • 2719 Posts

i bet money that apple is one of the bidders..

-CMG-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -CMG-
Member since 2002 • 4804 Posts

I don't know what all this drama is about but I think when that trailer launches in about 15 minutes some people are going to be extremely upset. 

Won't be me cause I have a PS3 and a 360.

Avatar image for nextgengaming18
nextgengaming18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nextgengaming18
Member since 2006 • 2719 Posts

I don't know what all this drama is about but I think when that trailer launches in about 15 minutes some people are going to be extremely upset. 

Won't be me cause I have a PS3 and a 360.

-CMG-
That is exactly what I was thinking. sony or microsoft might have a huge announcement of buying up rockstar north. Seeing how they both stated that something huge is coming at the end of this month.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

if I understand this correctly the shareholders can still bid on who to give the sale to right??

If I was a shareholder I'd make sure it didn't go to MS or Sony because that would mean they would only produce the games exclusivly for their system which would inturn mean less profits for Take 2.

Anybody know what take 2 would actually be going for???  I've heard that MS isn't really interested in buying it and I don't think sony has the liquid assets (also they don't seem to be in the business of buying out publishers/develpers).

TheSpidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 TheSpidren
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
Highest bidder = EA. Quote me. TekkenMaster606
Highest Bidder = Microsoft. Quote me.
Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts
I have a very weird feeling that MS and EA are battling it out..... Ofcourse,both can afford Take2,thus making the whole sale a whole lot more interesting.
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
probably
cterry04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cterry04
Member since 2005 • 2244 Posts
MS has the deepest pockets. Question is whether they are interested or not.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

It could be a company not even involved with gaming.

Igwababa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Igwababa
Member since 2005 • 638 Posts

[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]Highest bidder = EA. Quote me. thriteenthmonke
probably

No I think that for 1.2 billion EA might not want to go in a battle with microsoft. Microsoft will want this bad as if they can make GTA IV exclusive to 360 Sony will lose this entire holiday season which means Microsoft sells millions of 360s while Sony doesnt. In the long run the profits and other benefits will entice Microsoft to buy take two. EA already owns everything and probably wants GTA but 1.2 billion is alot of money, even EA will not be happy spending that much money as the benefit to them is much lower than to someone like microsoft who will not only benefit form software sales but hardware sales.

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
Well MS or Sony stand the most to benifit from buying them..... it would prettymuch completely sway the console war. For MS it would GTAIV exclusive would hurt Sony bad.... but also they'd be stuck with the rest of Take2 and wouldn't know what to do with it. Sony probably would use them better in the end since they have huge developement studios anyways and could integrate Take2.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

EA will get it. I'm almost sure.

I wish they didn't have to sell though.

conceru3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 conceru3
Member since 2007 • 507 Posts

if I understand this correctly the shareholders can still bid on who to give the sale to right??

If I was a shareholder I'd make sure it didn't go to MS or Sony because that would mean they would only produce the games exclusivly for their system which would inturn mean less profits for Take 2.

Anybody know what take 2 would actually be going for???  I've heard that MS isn't really interested in buying it and I don't think sony has the liquid assets (also they don't seem to be in the business of buying out publishers/develpers).

jrhawk42

MS and sony would never bid, they would suffer huge loss, since they would be a publisher in only one system, since i do not see them publishing games on rival's platforms, so will never happen

MasterChumly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MasterChumly
Member since 2003 • 1239 Posts

[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]Highest bidder = EA. Quote me. TheSpidren

Ive bashed heads before with TekkenMaster but right now

TekkenMaster > You

No offense but it doesnt really make sense for anybody to buy take 2 for a first party developer.  The amount of money Microsoft would lose from buying them, lost projects, scraped games, etc.....Would be astronomical and would probably never be made up.

Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Tristam22
Member since 2006 • 1598 Posts
This is interesting. If MS bought up Take Two the exclusivity of GTA IV to XBox360 would be a staggering blow to the PS3. It wouldn't affect the Wii for obvious reasons.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
wow i say its either MS or EA. niether effects me because ill still be able to get the game on my 360. but man wouldnt it be just flat out shocking, and i mean jaw dropping and what the F just happened moment if nintendo bought take 2. man i would laugh so hard. i mean on one hand nintendo might go bankrupt just doing that move, but man it would be a stunner. anyway im coming back into the real world. yeah its either MS or EA.
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TekkenMaster606

the-very-best

People have to remember, some of that money that sits on the board at Microsoft, does not really understand how the video game industry really operates. They may take a look at that Rare acquisition and think. 'Hey, this may not be such a great deal after all..."

The money at EA though. Well, this is the kind of thing they eat up.  

Anoch20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Anoch20
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts
My dad is gonna buy Take-2 for me, for my birthday, then I'm gonna tell him to sell the company to Sony for a bit less but then trade the difference for a nice chunk of Sony market share and stocks.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"]

TekkenMaster606

People have to remember, some of that money that sits on the board at Microsoft, does not really understand how the video game industry really operates. They may take a look at that Rare acquisition and think. 'Hey, this may not be such a great deal after all..."

It would make a lot of sense for EA to buy it. They'd have practically no competition in the sports games market. 

TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TekkenMaster606
[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]

the-very-best

It would make a lot of sense for EA to buy it. They'd have practically no competition in the sports games market.

Exactly, and I think that 2K8 Football game would still be released. Trust me, if a bidding war happens, Microsoft won't want to mess with EA. They have more to gain.

This would benefit everyone, because you know that EA would probably bring a Grand Theft Auto game to the Wii, the DS, and maybe even a new game to the Playstation 2 (GTAIV port?).  

hatecalledlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hatecalledlove
Member since 2004 • 1383 Posts
Take two going to ea would be horrible, it would be the start of the downfall of all of take 2's games....ahhhh no never...ea just kills it's like a parasite. MS wont buy though, they would take too much of a hit moving and canceling projects for it to be worth the billion or so it would take to buy take 2.
-Reggaeton-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -Reggaeton-
Member since 2007 • 2392 Posts

I dont even get it why they want to sell it? Take2 taking a loss? not with gta i think. 

Well i guess its the money hungry shareholders that has endless pockets to fill up. 

Avatar image for supermechakirby
supermechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 supermechakirby
Member since 2003 • 10677 Posts

[QUOTE="TheSpidren"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]Highest bidder = EA. Quote me. MasterChumly

TekkenMaster > You

No offense but it doesnt really make sense for anybody to buy take 2 for a first party developer. The amount of money Microsoft would lose from buying them, lost projects, scraped games, etc.....Would be astronomical and would probably never be made up.

listen, stop making excuses MS has the money, MS wants GTA exclusive, how are they going to get GTA exclusive? they use the $$ to buy Take2 and get GTA exclusive THE END
-Reggaeton-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Reggaeton-
Member since 2007 • 2392 Posts
[QUOTE="MasterChumly"]

[QUOTE="TheSpidren"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]Highest bidder = EA. Quote me. supermechakirby

TekkenMaster > You

No offense but it doesnt really make sense for anybody to buy take 2 for a first party developer. The amount of money Microsoft would lose from buying them, lost projects, scraped games, etc.....Would be astronomical and would probably never be made up.

listen, stop making excuses MS has the money, MS wants GTA exclusive, how are they going to get GTA exclusive? they use the $$ to buy Take2 and get GTA exclusive THE END

Put your fanboyism aside, the man has a point. 

CalmityDaunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CalmityDaunt
Member since 2006 • 296 Posts
[QUOTE="MasterChumly"]

[QUOTE="TheSpidren"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]Highest bidder = EA. Quote me. supermechakirby

TekkenMaster > You

You win at business! 

Me_Ur_Daddy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Me_Ur_Daddy_
Member since 2007 • 441 Posts
MS isnt as rich as people think, look the fortune 500 global sony is at 60 something and microsoft is at like 120 something
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
Well, it's extremely unfortunate to see this happening. Though to be honest, if a company really wanted to take over Take2 with such vigor, about a year ago would've been much better. The stock price was about half of what it is now- even a huge buyout wouldn't have made the price go up past where it is today (still would've been cheaper). Not is all lost, though. My biggest concern is the 2K sports series, but it's possible they could go on. It's possible that a non-gaming party (Rupert Murdoch has allegedly been looking to get into the games' business) will snatch up Take2. Or another possibility is that the company is sold in pieces. For example, MS could offer to buy the GTA license exclusively and Rockstar North while perhaps Sony would chase down Visual Concepts and the 2K sports brand. It does NOT have to go to one other party- these licenses could end up being distributed to many different companies. If it can't sell to a buyer who would keep Take2 generally in its current form (like a current non-gaming company/investor group), I hope it's sold in pieces. I do NOT want to see EA take over this company- it's already ruined enough developers and franchises for a lifetime.
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts
If EA bought it then thats a blow for third party creativity right there. But yes the strongest bidder would probably be EA. although I'd lol hard if it was Ubisoft.. After all ubisoft have said countless times how they want to take the vrown from EA. This would be the perfect chance to do so.
Bisset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bisset
Member since 2006 • 261 Posts
You'll all say i'm stupid but i think that right now Nintendo has a fair bit of money sitting around and seem to be pursuing more 'mature' games. Also, they've always loved surprises so i think it's possible they put in a bid
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shazenab
You'll all say i'm stupid but i think that right now Nintendo has a fair bit of money sitting around and seem to be pursuing more 'mature' games. Also, they've always loved surprises so i think it's possible they put in a bidBisset
They'd do better just to buy out the IPs than the actual company. Nintendo are historically tight fisted when it comes to money- Buy em small, make em big, sell em before they dip (ala Rare).
apolloluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 apolloluke
Member since 2006 • 1273 Posts
MS isnt as rich as people think, look the fortune 500 global sony is at 60 something and microsoft is at like 120 somethingMe_Ur_Daddy_
That is way off. Microsoft is ranked 55 and worth $107billion, Sony is 107th and worth $47billion.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]Highest bidder = EA. Quote me. cterry04
MS has the deepest pockets. Question is whether they are interested or not.

funny how when they say they aren't they supposedly are, just lying.
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
I'm definitely surprised about this. I didn't think that Take Two would be up for sale. I have to agree that EA is the most likely buyer with perhaps Ubisoft being in the mix, although it makes more sense for Take Two to sell each part piece by piece. Is this a victory for Jack Thompson?
BTBAM127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BTBAM127
Member since 2006 • 2522 Posts
ahhh! EA shouldent be alowed to buy anytihng! they make games worse! haha im just playin
Downplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Downplays
Member since 2007 • 169 Posts
[QUOTE="MasterChumly"]

TekkenMaster > You

Hearing this from someone who thinks KI is making a come back. :lol: Someone obviously doesn't know how the business works.

TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TekkenMaster606

If EA bought it then thats a blow for third party creativity right there. But yes the strongest bidder would probably be EA. although I'd lol hard if it was Ubisoft.. After all ubisoft have said countless times how they want to take the vrown from EA. This would be the perfect chance to do so.Shazenab

Because we all know that Criterion and Maxis are really constrained when it comes to creativity. :roll: 

Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Shazenab

[QUOTE="Shazenab"]If EA bought it then thats a blow for third party creativity right there. But yes the strongest bidder would probably be EA. although I'd lol hard if it was Ubisoft.. After all ubisoft have said countless times how they want to take the vrown from EA. This would be the perfect chance to do so.TekkenMaster606

Because we all know that Criterion and Maxis are really constrained when it comes to creativity. :roll: 

I'm not saying EA make bad games, but they would have no need to make better games without competition. I mean Crysis probably wouldn't have existed unless farcry was published by Ubisoft first.
dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dhjohns
Member since 2003 • 5105 Posts

[QUOTE="thriteenthmonke"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]Highest bidder = EA. Quote me. Igwababa

probably

No I think that for 1.2 billion EA might not want to go in a battle with microsoft. Microsoft will want this bad as if they can make GTA IV exclusive to 360 Sony will lose this entire holiday season which means Microsoft sells millions of 360s while Sony doesnt. In the long run the profits and other benefits will entice Microsoft to buy take two. EA already owns everything and probably wants GTA but 1.2 billion is alot of money, even EA will not be happy spending that much money as the benefit to them is much lower than to someone like microsoft who will not only benefit form software sales but hardware sales.

Interesting thought bu the contract for GTA IV coming to the PS3 is already signed. If MS bought Take-2, it would still have to honor previous commitments. GTA IV is coming to both systems, count on it.
TheSpidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 TheSpidren
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

[QUOTE="TheSpidren"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]Highest bidder = EA. Quote me. MasterChumly

TekkenMaster > You

Microsoft might not profit from the actual game itself, but it would sell millions of 360 consoles. I think MS can afford that for a much larger share of the market.
-Pale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -Pale
Member since 2006 • 1850 Posts
Come on EA, or Ubisoft. Imagine the ports.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
My money is on EA. Though I think Ubisoft would gain more from it.
l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Personally i would absolutely love MS to buy them, the response by sony would be absolutely priceless!!!

Just imagine how crazy ken and phil harrison would spin it....:lol: