System Wars Lounge v48: The College Season Starts Again!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#51  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

I would never, ever use E Bay, even if the price were ridiculously low. I can't trust people like that, not through the internet.

Well, outside of some mishaps, my folks have had some good luck from it. I also checked the reputation of the sellers I'm buying from, so I'm keeping my head up.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#52 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

People are so bitter these days. They always have to see negative on everything.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115434 Posts

@commonfate said:

Where do you live? Detroit?

Nope, I hope I never do. But this place can be really bad some times. (cop wise)
They don't even try to stop things, but they'd rather do silly things like that.

@parkurtommo said:

Police in the US are really despicable. I don't care if there are good cops or bad cops, they need to get their shit together, until then, I will consider every single one of them as stupid assholes. >.>

Won't happen I'm afraid :/

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Ah college....

I wish I could be an undergrad again

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@lostrib: Blabadon seems to jump on every other lounge for some reason. Attention maybe?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@lostrib said:

Ah college....

What do you call uni students in the States?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@lostrib said:

Ah college....

suckers

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 clyde46

@mems_1224 said:

@clyde46 said:

@lostrib said:

Ah college....

suckers

That explains you then.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@clyde46: there are undergraduate and graduate students. So people getting their 4 year degree (BS, BA, etc) are undergraduates.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#60 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:

People are so bitter these days. They always have to see negative on everything.

It's hard not to be a cynic these days though.

A lot of things are going downhill.

Being "optimistic" is pretty much just myopic at this point. The bad things in this world outnumber the good things.

But that's alright, I'll keep playin muh video games to forget about all of that.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@parkurtommo: You just take a look at their ratings and judge if they're legit or not.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@lostrib: Oh god your gif is absolutely amazing.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 parkurtommo

I just ordered 2 case fans. HYPE

It's gonna be fuckin Antarctica in this bitch. And by Antarctica I mean maybe 70-80º instead of 90. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

Random musing: The New 3DS (Could we come up with a better name for that?) reminded me of Nintendo's equally 'controversial' move into QoL while looking at this place reminded me that Japan has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. With that in mind, I have to wonder if Nintendo's venture into QoL has to strictly be about physical well-being. Could games be designed specifically to improve mental well-being? Would be interesting, dare I say progressive even, of them.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 clyde46

@parkurtommo said:

I just ordered 2 case fans. HYPE

It's gonna be fuckin Antarctica in this bitch. And by Antarctica I mean maybe 70-80º instead of 90. :P

My next upgrade is coming in September. A new CPU/mobo, new case, PSU, SSD, hell I'm basically getting a new PC.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Ordered the Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition Player's Handbook + the book adventure Hoard of the Dragon Queen. Should be here Wednesday! Anyone wanna play? :P

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#67 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

Police in the US are really despicable. I don't care if there are good cops or bad cops, they need to get their shit together, until then, I will consider every single one of them as stupid assholes. >.>

As someone who has considered going into law enforcement and has friends and family in law enforcement, people need to realize the amount of shyt police officers deal with on a daily basis, they literally deal with the butthole end of humanity. Some are legit while some go corrupt, there's no denying it and we can blame every cop we see but it would be like blaming every person in the world is an "Asshole". We can try to push all the blame on cops but it's not gonna swing in our favor since crime in the US is getting ridiculous now, specially in the east coast.

I think in the last week alone I've had a dozen feeds on my FB of people trying to video tape officers in brutal acts, it's getting out of hand at the amount of people trying to instigate shyt.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By clyde46

@Ballroompirate said:

@parkurtommo said:

As someone who has considered going into law enforcement and has friends and family in law enforcement, people need to realize the amount of shyt police officers deal with on a daily basis, they literally deal with the butthole end of humanity. Some are legit while some go corrupt, there's no denying it and we can blame every cop we see but it would be like blaming every person in the world is an "Asshole". We can try to push all the blame on cops but it's not gonna swing in our favor since crime in the US is getting ridiculous now, specially in the east coast.

I think in the last week alone I've had a dozen feeds on my FB of people trying to video tape officers in brutal acts, it's getting out of hand at the amount of people trying to instigate shyt.

One day police will refuse to do anything for fear of being sued.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Ballroompirate

@clyde46: Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if that happened, and people will continue to blame cops when they aren't there.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#70 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

Being "optimistic" is pretty much just myopic at this point. The bad things in this world outnumber the good things.

But that's alright, I'll keep playin muh video games to forget about all of that.

I was referring mainly to entertainment. Because it seems that no one enjoys anything for the sake of it but be on Critical Mode to look for the smallest flaws.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 clyde46

@Ballroompirate said:

@clyde46: Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if that happened, and people will continue to blame cops when they aren't there.

Reminds me of the Boy who Cried Wolf.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By parkurtommo

@Ballroompirate said:

@parkurtommo said:

Watch this.

Sorry, my post was hyperbole. If an individual, American cop came up to me, I wouldn't think of him as an asshole by default. My problem is exactly what the video I linked talks about: The police are disconnected from their community. When they are on their job they view everyone as a potential threat. Police in Europe are a great example to follow, they are members of the community just like American police, but when they are on their job they will remain friendly, they won't turn in to a cold slab devoid of personality.

And then there is the issue that has gone public with Ferguson. Again mentioned in the video. The militarization of the police. I mean wtf is that shit??? Police should not be patrolling around with assault rifles (and pointing them freely at unarmed civilians).

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 parkurtommo

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@parkurtommo said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

I was referring mainly to entertainment. Because it seems that no one enjoys anything for the sake of it but be on Critical Mode to look for the smallest flaws.

Oh, yeah. You might think hat mostly because of SW. But it's not really limited to this forum. I think games journalism has really fucked up the whole experience for people. It's like reviews dictate quality these days.

It's becoming harder and harder to make a game that sells. Because if it is even remotely bad, or has ideas that critics don't approve of, it will be dismissed by the public that follows said critics. It's so stupid.

I've said this before, but I think the industry needs a good ol' crash.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#74 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Infamous Second Son: The mission designs are so fucking bland.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 parkurtommo

@jg4xchamp: I just watched Hannibal for the first time, it seems promising (hell it's already delivered too).

I find it interesting that so many main protagonists (as in, the "good guy") in TV shows have social disorders, or are definitely mentally unstable. I also like how Will has Asbergers (or at least he claims to be "towards" that) since I too have mild Asbergers.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 jg4xchamp

@parkurtommo said:

@jg4xchamp: I just watched Hannibal for the first time, it seems promising (hell it's already delivered too).

I find it interesting that so many main protagonists (as in, the "good guy") in TV shows have social disorders, or are definitely mentally unstable. I also like how Will has Asbergers (or at least he claims to be "towards" that) since I too have mild Asbergers.

Modern TV is built around anti-heroes or pseudo anti-heroes at this point, so yeah I don't see that trend dying. Not that it's a bad thing, but things like Six Feet Under and Friday Night Lights (which are more nuanced plots) are rare in comparison. Regardless Hannibal is some fantastic pulp, and the finale for that first season is really good, and then the 2nd supremely outclasses it. It's fucking amazing.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Ballroompirate

@parkurtommo said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@parkurtommo said:

Watch this.

Sorry, my post was hyperbole. If an individual, American cop came up to me, I wouldn't think of him as an asshole by default. My problem is exactly what the video I linked talks about: The police are disconnected from their community. When they are on their job they view everyone as a potential threat. Police in Europe are a great example to follow, they are members of the community just like American police, but when they are on their job they will remain friendly, they won't turn in to a cold slab devoid of personality.

And then there is the issue that has gone public with Ferguson. Again mentioned in the video. The militarization of the police. I mean wtf is that shit??? Police should not be patrolling around with assault rifles (and pointing them freely at unarmed civilians).

Except police only use "heavier gear/weapons" during certain situations like riots and hostage situations, they don't roll around with M16's at their sides all the time. Also people were pissed cause if I'm not mistaken people were shocked the police had a armored riot vehicle....last time I checked riots aren't a mob of friendly people who don't tip cars over and don't break windows ect ect...god forbid police have the right to protect themselves.

If you have any doubts, I suggest go take a vacation in Detroit or Chicago, I've been to both places once and will never ever go there again cause there's so much violence in those cities it's absurd. The sad thing is those two cities aren't even the highest crime cities in the US.

Are there people out there that shouldn't be police officers? yes, but there's a lot of people who are -insert job- that shouldn't be ether.

There 's also people out there that make officer's look amazing like this guy

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#78 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I was born and grew up in Detroit. Tell me more about your problems.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45491 Posts

damn. so a lot of you guys started gaming during ps3 era? no wonder.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 mems_1224

@jg4xchamp said:

Infamous Second Son: The mission designs are so fucking bland.

Oh, so its an open world game?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 mems_1224

Ok so my brother owes me a game. What should he get me? Civ Beyond Earth, Wasteland 2 or Dragon Age Inquisition? Im leaning towards Civ or Dragon Age.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By jg4xchamp

@mems_1224 said:

Ok so my brother owes me a game. What should he get me? Civ Beyond Earth, Wasteland 2 or Dragon Age Inquisition? Im leaning towards Civ or Dragon Age.

Civilization is the safest bet to be awesome because Fireaxis.

Wasteland 2 looks dope as **** though.

Wouldn't trust Bioware on premise that they doo-doo

@mems_1224 said:

Oh, so its an open world game?

Basically, yeah. Like I like the core mechanics, and I've always liked the core mechanics in the infamous games. But like the actual missions just get stale and repetitive super quick. Like every time I get a new power I gotta go do this mission where I go find these boxes so it can do the tutorial for the new power on what R1 does, on what L1 does, on what the mass killing move is. And it's like even if you alter this for a bit, it's formulaic as ****. And your core action as good as it is, isn't nuanced enough to make that kind of repetition work, because at the end of the day it's all just third person shooting.

Like at the least GTA 5 when it's not getting in its own way or Saints Row have variation in their mission designs (in GTA5's case it just has too much fluff), and Arkham City has flat out better encounter designs top to bottom. And I don't realistically think one can argue that mechanically Saints Row and GTA 5 do more from an action game standpoint, so yeah as much as the genre has always been lame, this is twice as lame.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By parkurtommo

@Ballroompirate said:

Are there people out there that shouldn't be police officers? yes, but there's a lot of people who are -insert job- that shouldn't be ether.

Except incompetent police have the ability to kill people with impunity. I don't know of any other jobs that let you do that.

@Ballroompirate said:

Except police only use "heavier gear/weapons" during certain situations like riots and hostage situations, they don't roll around with M16's at their sides all the time. Also people were pissed cause if I'm not mistaken people were shocked the police had a armored riot vehicle....last time I checked riots aren't a mob of friendly people who don't tip cars over and don't break windows ect ect...god forbid police have the right to protect themselves.

I don't think you watched the video I linked (understandable, since the video is quite long and possibly boring if you aren't interested). I guess I'll have to paraphrase this a bit: Police officers in Ferguson, who were armed to the teeth, were pointing their weapons at civilians who posed no threat. Riot or not, why the **** is that ever an appropriate thing to do!? The military themselves know that if you point a gun at someone, it's with the intent to kill, it means you're ready to pull the trigger. That combined with the infamous tear gassing of journalists... The police in this situation were actively attempting to disrupt flow of information...

It's like these guys think everyone is their enemy. Hell it's comparable to CoD kiddies, if the game tells you these people are your enemy/targets then you follow blindly.

Do you realize how alienating it is to see armed men occupying your town as if it were a warzone? It's not a warzone, but the Police want it to be a warzone apparently.

In the video Radley Balko mentioned Jerry Willson (Washington DC), who put his police force in their blue uniforms, without armor, without fucking assault rifles, with there face in sight. That isn't alienating, that is what should be happening during riots. Because it's that alienating method of handling riots that make them go out of hand. If you have a hundred black suited riot policemen patrolling the streets with shields, of course you'll have a diregard for them, you'll throw rocks at them, insult them. You can't see their face, they're practically in darth vader gear.

Interestingly enough, in the situation when Jerry Wilson used normal police uniforms for his officers, they got encouraging results.

There is no need for this stupid, militarized attitude that's going on. To expect violence no matter what. It's a pessimistic attitude. Pessimism and expectation of violence essentially creates the perfect environment for violence to happen.

Imagine if dashboard cameras and personal pov cameras were used on every police officer? That would literally solve every single problem related to police brutality/corruption.

TL DR: Alienating your community is not the right way to enforce law. It creates more violence than it prevents.

I shouldn't be talking about politics here, but I couldn't resist. since I'd rather talk about this here than the cesspool that is OT.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By mems_1224

@jg4xchamp said:

@mems_1224 said:

Civilization is the safest bet to be awesome because Fireaxis.

Wasteland 2 looks dope as **** though.

Wouldn't trust Bioware on premise that they doo-doo

Yea but everything they've showing of DAI looks pretty good. Wasteland 2 comes out this month though, I think I might get that because it does look really cool.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 parkurtommo

@getyeryayasout said:

I'm sitting watching Fresno St v USC and just felt compelled to come in and wish everyone a happy football season. I know how much American football is heralded and beloved here, and I just wanted to share in the love. It's here, guys! Happy football season and a Merry World Series!

Yay sportsball!

I love sportsball.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 clyde46

My dad used to play American Football. He was a tightend.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Ballroompirate

@parkurtommo: I stopped the video as soon as they said "there's people out there that fear cops more than they do gangs/criminals", sorry but what the ****!?, that's the dumbest shit I've heard in my whole entire life. Also fyi cops wear that gear cause those criminals and even citizens are carrying around assault rifles as a "concealed weapons", I even have some friends who own AR's and AK's as a "concealed weapons".

You basically want LEO's to strip down to casual gear so they don't "threaten" the public...yes lets endanger the men and women who's job is to protect and serve, yes some are douchebags and shouldn't be cops but guess what there's douchebags who are in the arm forces as well, it's life.

Also youtube the riots in St Louis, people were going ape shyt flipping cars/cop cars and looting, once you see that aftermath hopefully you'll realize why police in the US are as armed as they are.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

The endgame of Pokemon Black 2 was terrible. I have brain cells dedicated to this pointless game because of you, @charizard1605, and i will come take them back with a spoon.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
@clyde46 said:

Waaaaaait a minute. Am I missing something here? Surely no one names a position "tightend."

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#93 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I start my Master's Tuesday.

My school's football team just destroyed James Madison. now watch them get destroyed by most Big 10 schools.

Can't wait for the NFL.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@funsohng said:
@clyde46 said:

Waaaaaait a minute. Am I missing something here? Surely no one names a position "tightend."

Yap. Big playmaker on the offensive line (sorta). It's a bit of a wildcard position.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 parkurtommo

@Ballroompirate said:

@parkurtommo: I stopped the video as soon as they said "there's people out there that fear cops more than they do gangs/criminals", sorry but what the ****!?, that's the dumbest shit I've heard in my whole entire life. Also fyi cops wear that gear cause those criminals and even citizens are carrying around assault rifles as a "concealed weapons", I even have some friends who own AR's and AK's as a "concealed weapons".

You basically want LEO's to strip down to casual gear so they don't "threaten" the public...yes lets endanger the men and women who's job is to protect and serve, yes some are douchebags and shouldn't be cops but guess what there's douchebags who are in the arm forces as well, it's life.

Also youtube the riots in St Louis, people were going ape shyt flipping cars/cop cars and looting, once you see that aftermath hopefully you'll realize why police in the US are as armed as they are.

You missed the point, but I'll rest my case.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 clyde46

@Desmonic said:

@TheGuardian03 said:

@Desmonic said:

Sup bros? I'm back! :D

What news/SW drama did I miss since August 16th? :D

Welcome back.

Not much, same stuff everyday.

So, I'm guessing lots of bitching about absolutely nothing, right? :P

SW doing what SW does best.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@commonfate said:

@funsohng said:
@clyde46 said:

Yap. Big playmaker on the offensive line (sorta). It's a bit of a wildcard position.

I don't know man, it somehow sounds.... kinky.