System Shock 2: An essential experience for every serious gamer

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

The year was 1999. The studio was Irrational Games. The timing was right. The vision was right. The ingredients were right. The developers had a fresh outlook. The result was one of the greatest games of all time, a game that any serious gamer needs to experience.

This thread is an homage to a stunning combination of vision and execution. This thread is a celebration; a celebration of the shot-in-the-dark masterpiece that is System Shock 2.

accc

System Shock 2 is not easily defined. It is a shooter, and it is also an RPG. It is a Sci-fi FPS, but it is also a horror game. It features complex skill systems, and it has a complex inventory system to relate with. The game allows you to truly define your character: Want to be a hacker? A psi user? A marine? Pick one major direction, or go in several directions and create a diverse and well balanced character, there are tons of options at your disposal.

You may kill the games many horrifying enemies in a great variety of ways: Shoot them with an assault rifle, beat them with a wrench, slash them with a laser sword, stab them with a shard of crystal, shoot parasitic worms at them from a living gun, or blast them with one of your many psi attacks; the combat is incredibly diverse and flexible.

The atmosphere in System Shock 2 is unique and terrifying. Every corridor is filled with a palapble fog of dread; every enemy makes you cringe as they approach you from some hidden door. The audio is incredibly well done; you will find yourself wincing as a cyber mid-wife comes at you screaming in a frightenly high pitched voice; you will find yourself absolutely terrified and bewildered as you wonder which direction the next hybrid is coming from, your only guide to his location being his crying begs for you to kill him.

The story is System Shock 2 is intriguing, and, in many cases, absolutely, well, shocking. I will not spoil it for those who have not played the game yet, but let's just say that some seriously ****ed up stuff goes down: There is a moment about halfway through the game that I hail as the greatest moment in gaming history.

System Shock 2 was released in 1999, and as such, it is practically impossibe to find on store shelves; if you want a copy, order one via Amazon, or get one off of Ebay, but whatever you do, aquire this game; it is an absolute essential.

Is System Shock 2 unforgivingly complex? Hell yes.

Is it incredibly difficult? Hell yes.

But if you are a serious gamer looking for an intelligent, challenging, and amazing video game (as you damn well should be) then you can do no better than System Shock 2.

So, here's the last word: If you haven't played System Shock 2 yet, go play it RIGHT NOW. You owe to yourself.

If you have played it, then congratulations and welcome to the celebration, because System Shock 2 is a game that damn well deserves one.

It is easily one of the best games ever made.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
I don't know where to get it. And when I tried to play the demo, my computer kept crashing.
nippon_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 nippon_gamer
Member since 2005 • 928 Posts
Bioshock is the same game with better graphics.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Bioshock is the same game with better graphics. nippon_gamer

And noobified to hell and back.

poovine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 poovine
Member since 2006 • 387 Posts
System Shock 2, Fallout 2, Diablo 2, Doom 2, and Half Life 2. The greatest 2's ever.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

[QUOTE="nippon_gamer"]Bioshock is the same game with better graphics. Meu2k7

thats what I've heard.
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts

Actualy, Bioshock is a simpliefied game with better graphics, System Shock 2 is a more complex and engaging game.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Except not scary at all, incredibly easy, and the RPG elements have almost no effect on gameplay.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jethrovegas

Not really. Bioshock is like System Shock 2 Lite with better direct combat and an intriguing story.

To me the atmosphere, setting, and story in Bioshock are the best parts, and definitely make it worth a try.

The two games complement eachother: You should play both, though I think SS2 is better.

They are definitely not the same game though; you are hella wrong on that, and have no idea what you are talking about.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts

That's like saying that Oblivion was Morrowind with better graphics.
Both Bioshock and Oblivion lacked the depth, difficulty and content found in their predecessors.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jethrovegas

[QUOTE="nippon_gamer"]Bioshock is the same game with better graphics. Planeforger

That's like saying that Oblivion was Morrowind with better graphics.
Both Bioshock and Oblivion lacked the depth, difficulty and content found in their predecessors.

That's a great comparision, though I think that Bioshock is a better successor to SS2 than Oblivion is to Morrowind.

JocktheMotie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JocktheMotie
Member since 2007 • 660 Posts

System Shock 2, Fallout 2, Diablo 2, Doom 2, and Half Life 2. The greatest 2's ever.poovine

You forgot the best 2 of all time. Baldur's Gate II!!

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

Thank you OP. God I miss those late 90's, they featured some of the best games of all time. While I liked Bioshock, System Shock 2 blows it out of the proverbial water. If I had to vote, it would be for a System Shock 3 from Ken and the boys, but I'm not sure who owns the IP anymore.

Imagine a System Shock 3? Oh boy would I be excited.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
I hear this alot, but where do I get a copy of the game. No one I know has it.
Weapons_Free

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Weapons_Free
Member since 2006 • 1361 Posts

System Shock 2: an out-of-print pc game that is close to impossible to find, and because of that fact has become pretty much irrelevant.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
I tried a demo a while ago of it,and thoroughly enjoyed it,but sadly,other games distracted me,and now I have little money to purchase it.:(
Private_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Private_Vegas
Member since 2007 • 2783 Posts
Well if Bioshock = System Shock 2 with all the corners cut and difficulty kicked back a few notches like so many people have told me.... then you are probably right.
Coldsteel001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Coldsteel001
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts
Was going to buy this title the other week but i have one question to ask does this title run on XP? the guy at the store seemed to think that there were some issues with it on XP and this was the only reason why i did not pick it up.
poovine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 poovine
Member since 2006 • 387 Posts

Thank you OP. God I miss those late 90's, they featured some of the best games of all time. While I liked Bioshock, System Shock 2 blows it out of the proverbial water. If I had to vote, it would be for a System Shock 3 from Ken and the boys, but I'm not sure who owns the IP anymore.

mismajor99

I don't remember who owns the IP, but it's not Ken and the gang. That's the reason Bioshock exists and System Shock 3 doesn't.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

A: System Shock 2 is easily defined

B: Bioshock is better

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts
Neither of these games are as scary and engaging as Evidence: The last Ritual.
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jethrovegas

A: System Shock 2 is easily defined

B: Bioshock is better

JiveT

In some areas, yes, Bioshock is better.

Most notably in the areas of combat, presentation, and writing.

But System Shock 2 is much more in depth, it's more challenging, and it's customization options are far deeper and more intricate. It's also much scarier.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

System Shock 2, Fallout 2, Diablo 2, Doom 2, and Half Life 2. The greatest 2's ever.poovine

Starcontrol 2, Masters of Orion 2, Dune 2.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

You forgot one more greatest 2 - BG 2 :)

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 naval

mismajor99

You will be shocked. EA Owns it

nevereathim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nevereathim
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts
Bioshock and System Shock are made by the same people. It's pretty much the same thing, except one is in the future and one is not.
Vis-a-Vis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Vis-a-Vis
Member since 2006 • 1977 Posts
I have it on my computer, just havent gotten around to playing it much (Only about 2 hours in, maybe 3) I'll try it out agianafter i'm done playing through WC3 again.
Vis-a-Vis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vis-a-Vis
Member since 2006 • 1977 Posts
[QUOTE="mismajor99"]

naval

System Shock 3 would've been made, but Irrational stated they didnt want to go on with the System Shock license because it's owned by EA. EA would demand a linear FPS experience with a boss battle at the end of each level, head guy (Whos name I oddly have forgotten) for irrational said that, the best they could do was a spiritual sucessor, which is why Bioshock is so similar to System Shock, Bioshock was never created to be much different from System Shock, it's the closest thing to A real system shock 3 anyones ever gonna get.

bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts

Baldurs Gate 2!!! Dear god man, how could you make such an error:P
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 naval
[QUOTE="naval"][QUOTE="mismajor99"]

Vis-a-Vis

System Shock 3 would've been made, but Irrational stated they didnt want to go on with the System Shock license because it's owned by EA. EA would demand a linear FPS experience with a boss battle at the end of each level, head guy (Whos name I oddly have forgotten) for irrational said that, the best they could do was a spiritual sucessor, which is why Bioshock is so similar to System Shock, Bioshock was never created to be much different from System Shock, it's the closest thing to A real system shock 3 anyones ever gonna get.

Yeah, if SS3 was made by irrational it would have been exactly like bioshock. I think success of bioshcok would be making EA drool

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Planeforger

[quote="poovine"]System Shock 2, Fallout 2, Diablo 2, Doom 2, and Half Life 2. The greatest 2's ever.Ontain

...Thief 2 (one of the best stealth games), Monkey Island 2 (one of the best adventure games), Gabriel Knight 2 (one of the best FMV games)...

Then again, I could probably name just as many bad sequals.

tmatte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tmatte
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
Street Fighter 2 can be added. (Stupid gamespot doesn't let me quote)
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Its abandonware for the most part, Home of the underdogs has it for free download.. Though not quite legal its the next best thing.. Because it hasn't been mass produced for probably going on 6 to 7 years.. In the end I could not see why EA would care about something they don't even bother talking about any more..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-59d151f079814

[quote="Ontain"][quote="poovine"]System Shock 2, Fallout 2, Diablo 2, Doom 2, and Half Life 2. The greatest 2's ever.Planeforger

...Thief 2 (one of the best stealth games), Monkey Island 2 (one of the best adventure games), Gabriel Knight 2 (one of the best FMV games)...

Freespace 2, Heavy Gear 2, Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight... Can't forget about those!

ultima-flare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 ultima-flare
Member since 2003 • 2259 Posts
I have the game buried somewhere in my collection...I never played it though >.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 naval
[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

[quote="Ontain"][quote="poovine"]System Shock 2, Fallout 2, Diablo 2, Doom 2, and Half Life 2. The greatest 2's ever.sSubZerOo

Freespace 2, Heavy Gear 2, Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight... Can't forget about those!

Let me add a few more - HoMM 2, BG 2, Deus EX 2 (just kidding :P)

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
Why don't you console kids go try it out. It only costs $10, and there is a 99% chance it will work on your PC.
soulsofblayck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 soulsofblayck
Member since 2006 • 1591 Posts
FPS is the only genre (I don't play sports games) where I can't play unless the graphics are at least something like UT2k4/Half-life2 at this point. Thus, having played it recently I had to stop as I couldn't take it anymore.
Compression

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Compression
Member since 2006 • 195 Posts

System Shock

For Free!

Now you have no excuse.

Except me. I just hated it.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Planeforger

It's not exactly abandonware yet - I've ocassionally seen it in shops this year (particularly Target, KMart, etc.).

Then again, they've probably all been bought now that Bioshock is out.

WeAreToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WeAreToast
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

I remember hearing that Bioshock and System Shock 2 comparison on Zero Punctuation.

Yahtzee says, "You see, it's not like System Shock 2, it is System Shock 2."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59d151f079814

I remember hearing that Bioshock and System Shock 2 comparison on Zero Punctuation.

Yahtzee says, "You see, it's not like System Shock 2, it is System Shock 2."

WeAreToast

You take it out of context, because he gives the exceptions that it is piss easy, no real meaningful rpg elements, as well as other key things.. He basically said it was a really dumbed down version of System Shock 2.

maabus99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 maabus99
Member since 2006 • 970 Posts
Add in Warcraft II, Baldurs Gate II, Freespace II, and "possibly" Starcraft II in a year, and we got our selves a list going
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

[QUOTE="nippon_gamer"]Bioshock is the same game with better graphics. Meu2k7

Yes indeed. Did Irrational think console gamers were allmorons who couldn't aim or find their way through a level?

"Hhmm, let's see, we've never made a console game before, but if memory serves, gamepads are completely unplayable. So the only way to compensate would be to give players infinite respawns with no consequence. That should balance out the gampeplay. Let them carry every weapon with them at once, and don't bother rendering the character's legs either."

joking :P . I really like Bioshock, but some of it's dissapointments are hard to ignore. I wish I could experience SS2 now.

WeAreToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WeAreToast
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts
^ (A few posts above) Yeah, I know he said those, I just thought the line I posted was a pretty general idea of the game's "coolness."
flintgijoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 flintgijoe
Member since 2004 • 1954 Posts

I love System Shock 2.

A simply amazing game.

I want it on XBLA with new character models.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Does it install/run properly on XP? Because I have a few old game that won't work for the love of rice krispie squares. How does it control? Is it as streamlined as something newer I could pick up instead?
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
After finishing Bioshock twice I actualy think it's hardly antything like SS2. Besides the storyline (which is sadly just rehased SS2) and the very basic idea of 'alone against the monsters" and few elements(notes, turrets, ghosts) here and there the general gameplay and style of those is hardly alike. System Shock 2 was dungeon crawling horror RPG dressed as FPS. Bioshock on the other hand is Doom3 with better level design and few powers. It lacks the horror atmosphere, the tension, it lacks all RPG elements etc. They are very diffrent (even more as a whole than System Shock was diffrent compared to it's predecessor Ultima Underworld).

System Shock 2 was a horro FPS/RPG hybrid. Bioshock is pure action-heavy unique FPS. Big diffrence
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
Ifound it pretty crap to be honest. I even tried it again after leaving it for 6 months but I still didn't enjoy it.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Indeed it is one of the best games ever created.
Surprisingly better than Bioshock in many regards.

Oh BUT:

GLADOS > SHODAN :P