Stop With the Excuses.. PLEASE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChristopherM80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ChristopherM80
Member since 2007 • 391 Posts

why is it that when it comes to the PS3 doing well, all you ever see is excuses... In reference to PS3 selling well lately "Its because of the holidays and price cut, thats all"in reference to the excellent PS3 commercials "WOW sony must be desperate thats why so many commercials lately" im anxious to see what the excuse is when the PS3 actually sells because of good games.. It will go something like "The PS3 is only selling good because it has good games, thats the only reason" I mean seriously. The PS3 is doing very very well now in sales, quit using the whole price drop/holiday excuses because lets face it, when its all said and done, holidays or no holidays, the PS3 selling really well, itmeans that people want it and know its a great machine with great games on the horizon.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23038 Posts

I'm curious as to how well it's doing in relation to the competition. What are the solid numbers from all three camps?

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
I know just what you mean, TC. But let's face it. The only way to make the PS3-bashers shut up (slightly) is for Sony to start churning out quite a few AAA exclusives, each in relatively short intervals of time. Otherwise there will be no end to it.
accameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 accameron
Member since 2004 • 1521 Posts

why is it that when it comes to the PS3 doing well, all you ever see is excuses... In reference to PS3 selling well lately "Its because of the holidays and price cut, thats all"in reference to the excellent PS3 commercials "WOW sony must be desperate thats why so many commercials lately" im anxious to see what the excuse is when the PS3 actually sells because of good games.. It will go something like "The PS3 is only selling good because it has good games, thats the only reason" I mean seriously. The PS3 is doing very very well now in sales, quit using the whole price drop/holiday excuses because lets face it, when its all said and done, holidays or no holidays, the PS3 selling really well, itmeans that people want it and know its a great machine with great games on the horizon.

ChristopherM80

Actually, (and I am being honest here), the only reason that the PS3 is seeing any sort of increase in sales lately is due to the holidays and price cuts. I don't think that Sony is desperate soley because they advertise, because they are hoping to see some return on their ad investment, and since the PS3 is in such bad shape lately, it is the only way to get the word out about a decent new game to the mainstream. And the PS3 has not yet sold much due to "good games," sorry to burst your bubble. It is only logical that it would sell better than usual due to the holidays and a price drop. I guarantee you that 360 sales are the exact same thing, except the 360 has the added bonus of having a lot of great games NOW.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

These "excuses" stem from the fact that Sony supporters seem to think that these sales increases are part of a trend and not just a spike. The PS3 has yet to show it can sustain high sales on the same level as the Wii, and to a lesser extent the 360. Every time there is a price cut or promotion on, PS3 sales (obviously) jump, and Sony supporters treat it like the second coming of Christ, only for Sony sales to return to their pre-sale/promotion numbers.

For example PS3 sales are bound to jump with both the introduction of the 40gig PS3 and the 15 free BR promotion at (I believe) Wal-Mart. Sony fans will say this is the start of Sony's triumphant comeback, however as the 360 has shown there is not a huge market for a $400 gaming machine (especially with a $250 machine available), and we all know the 15 free movie deal won't last forever. Simply put, the current promotions are (at least IMO) not enough to support sales over any meaningful period of time. Without a must have title like Halo 3 or SMG the PS3 will not be able to sustain sales.

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
Those are legitimate reasons of the sales spike. What would it be like without a price drop and not the holiday season? Yeah, I thought so.
Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Yellow_Rose
Member since 2002 • 16739 Posts

ChristopherM80

But all that is true, just like 360 sales are rising because of the holiday season. Why you don't want to hear the truth?

King_of_Sorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 King_of_Sorrow
Member since 2007 • 1193 Posts
[QUOTE="ChristopherM80"]

Yellow_Rose

But all that is true, just like 360 sales are rising because of the holiday season. Why you don't want to hear the truth?

Is it not true that they must "want" a PS3 to purchase one? Price drop doesn't always means more purchases.

accameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 accameron
Member since 2004 • 1521 Posts
[QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"][QUOTE="ChristopherM80"]

King_of_Sorrow

Is it not true that they must "want" a PS3 to purchase one? Price drop doesn't always means more purchases.

history has shown that generally a sales surge follows a price drop, and generally lasts for a few weeks. However, now being the holidays, this trend will last until January for all consoles.

King_of_Sorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 King_of_Sorrow
[QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"][QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"][QUOTE="ChristopherM80"]

accameron

history has shown that generally a sales surge follows a price drop, and generally lasts for a few weeks. However, now being the holidays, this trend will last until January for all consoles.

You just repeating yourself...I understand for the "increase" in sales, but what is the reason they "want" the PS3 in the first place?

2006 Rolls Royce drop in price 35,000 dollars, yet the sales of a them has been static. Care to explain why?

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

I don't know what world you live in, but in the real world, sales go up during Sept-Dec and especially after a price cut, both of which apply to the PS3 ATM.

If Sony want to show its sales muscle, continue selling great in Feb. Simple as that.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SpruceCaboose

You just repeating yourself...I understand for the "increase" in sales, but what is the reason they "want" the PS3 in the first place?

2006 Rolls Royce drop in price 35,000 dollars, yet the sales of a them has been static. Care to explain why?

King_of_Sorrow

A drop of 35k on a Rolls is still not enough for the average consumer. Likewise, a syetm with the brand recognition of Playstation becomeing available, it seems like a good time to buy one. But the same thing is also happening to the 360 and (way more) the Wii.

Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Yellow_Rose

You just repeating yourself...I understand for the "increase" in sales, but the what is the reason they "want" the PS3 in the first place?

King_of_Sorrow

Remember when Nintendo dropped the price of the GC to $99 right in time for the holidays and right at the time they released Mario Kart Double Dash? Sales were great (actually outsold the Xbox that holiday season) but after the holidays, what happened?

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

You just repeating yourself...I understand for the "increase" in sales, but the what is the reason they "want" the PS3 in the first place?

Yellow_Rose

Remember when Nintendo dropped the price of the GC to $99 right in time for the holidays and right at the time they released Mario Kart Double Dash? Sales were great (actually outsold the Xbox that holiday season) but after the holidays, what happened?

The GameCube won? Amirite?

King_of_Sorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 King_of_Sorrow

[QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

SpruceCaboose

A drop of 35k on a Rolls is still not enough for the average consumer. Likewise, a syetm with the brand recognition of Playstation becomeing available, it seems like a good time to buy one. But the same thing is also happening to the 360 and (way more) the Wii.

I picked Rolls Royce for a reason. Avg. consumers don't buy a Rolls Royce, so to even mention them is missing the point. The point was there have to be a demand for the product in the first place in order to see it increase. I think what you are doing is making this common knowledge that the PS3 is in demand, but here in SW you get the sense from most people that people "don't want" the PS3 at all.

King_of_Sorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 King_of_Sorrow
[QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

Yellow_Rose

Are you saying people buy things just because they are discounted?

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SpruceCaboose

I picked Rolls Royce for a reason. Avg. consumers don't buy a Rolls Royce, so to even mention them is missing the point. The point was there have to be a demand for the product in the first place in order to see it increase. I think what you are doing is making this common knowledge that the PS3 is in demand, but here in SW you get the sense from most people that people "don't want" the PS3 at all.

King_of_Sorrow

There is demand for all the systems, and dropping in price can actually create more of a demand than there was before, especially with the PS3 still including many multimedia assets.

To say no system has a demand would be ludicrous.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"][QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

King_of_Sorrow

Its possible, but I doubt it, as $400 is still above most consumers "impulse buy" limit.

King_of_Sorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 King_of_Sorrow
[QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

SpruceCaboose

There is demand for all the systems, and dropping in price can actually create more of a demand than there was before, especially with the PS3 still including many multimedia assets.

To say no system has a demand would be ludicrous.

Now here's two questions. Is the demand for the PS3 higher than the 360 and Wii? Also, does "demand" determine how good the system is?

King_of_Sorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 King_of_Sorrow
[QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"][QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"][QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

SpruceCaboose

Its possible, but I doubt it, as $400 is still above most consumers "impulse buy" limit.

There is a nice blue dress on sale at Macy's. It was original price at $300 now it's $80. Are you going to buy it?

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SpruceCaboose

Now here's two questions. Is the demand for the PS3 higher than the 360 and Wii? Also, does "demand" determine how good the system is?

King_of_Sorrow

Is the demand for the PS3 higher than the 360 and Wii?

In the US, no. In Japan and sometimes Europe the PS3 whoops the 360 in demand. As for the Wii, absolutely not.

Also, does "demand" determine how good the system is?

Absolutely not. Neither does sales. Only your own enjoyment of the system determine how good the system is to you, and you alone.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts
[QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"][QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"][QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

SpruceCaboose

Not in this day and age where people spend $250 on an iPod for every kid in their family and give their sixteen year old daughter a car on her birthday.

Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Yellow_Rose
[QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"][QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

SpruceCaboose

The GameCube won? Amirite?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY&feature=related ;)

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SpruceCaboose

There is a nice blue dress on sale at Macy's. It was original price at $300 now it's $80. Are you going to buy it?

King_of_Sorrow

Don't try and turn this on me. I am not a blind fanboy, and I will not flinch in the face of this "logic". I own and love all three systems as well, and you aren't going to try and make this a me vs anyone thread. I know better than to use slippery logic.

I don't wear dresses, but I am a gamer. And if a system dropped low enough, it would catch my attention, regardless of system, like the GameCube did last generation, where I knew many peopl who bought it because it was worth it at $99, while it might not have been t $199.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

PS3 sales spike is mostly due to the price cut to $400. Of course it has a small part to do with the holiday season but every console will have a sales spike due to this so it's irrelevant. Simple fact is that people that didn't want to spend $600 on a console can now get a PS3 that has more in it than the 360 (in terms of HDD, Bluray, and capabilities) for $400. That and some current titles (Warhawk, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, etc.) all help the sales. 360 will sell a ton during the holiday season as well just as the Wii will so that argument of "it's the holiday season" is a very irrelevant point.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts
[QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

SpruceCaboose

Don't try and turn this on me. I am not a blind fanboy, and I will not flinch in the face of this "logic". I own and love all three systems as well, and you aren't going to try and make this a me vs anyone thread. I know better than to use slippery logic.

I don't wear dresses, but I am a gamer. And if a system dropped low enough, it would catch my attention, regardless of system, like the GameCube did last generation, where I knew many peopl who bought it because it was worth it at $99, while it might not have been t $199.

When they dropped it to 99$ They also released the platinum colored model, That helped I bet.

King_of_Sorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 King_of_Sorrow
[QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

SpruceCaboose

Not attacking you at all. What I'm trying to do is show you that it is an "excuse" to say PS3 is only selling because it's the holidays. If that was only true, then All products should see a growth in sales. Here is another fact that goes against that logic. PS3 is outselling the Wii in Japan, yet Wii is still cheaper.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

jechtshot78

When they dropped it to 99$ They also released the platinum colored model, That helped I bet.

Purple FTL!

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SpruceCaboose

Not attacking you at all. What I'm trying to do is show you that it is an "excuse" to say PS3 is only selling because it's the holidays. If that was only true, then All products should see a growth in sales. Here is another fact that goes against that logic. PS3 is outselling the Wii in Japan, yet Wii is still cheaper.

King_of_Sorrow

The only thing fanboys spew is non-truths. Its no challege showing that that is not true.

And as for the Wii being outsold in Japan, how come no one has thought to mention that it might have hit its saturation point, while the slower selling PS3 has not yet hit its saturation point, as Japan has been moving more handheld than console for years?

Not calling you out, just asking a legit what if.

King_of_Sorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 King_of_Sorrow
[QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

SpruceCaboose

The only thing fanboys spew is non-truths. Its no challege showing that that is not true.

And as for the Wii being outsold in Japan, how come no one has thought to mention that it might have hit its saturation point, while the slower selling PS3 has not yet hit its saturation point, as Japan has been moving more handheld than console for years?

Not calling you out, just asking a legit what if.

Do you agree in order for us to suggest that it hit the saturation point, we must first know what the saturation point is?

mariofan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#31 mariofan22
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

I feel that the PS3 is the new Gamecube -- always around the corner is that great game coming out that'll turn things around... the price just keeps getting cut to increase demand and get something back out of their investment... the company (whether it be Sony or Nintendo) misjudged what the consumer wanted and well, screwed up.

That's a simplified version. I wrote way too much about it in my blog and I don't feel like doing it again... so read.

Seriously though, I do believe that. I think we'll see some great games come out for the PS3, and I think that Sony'll keep making them to save their obviously wasted investment. I'm not sure yet if this is a Dreamcast-level failure (I doubt it), but so far... this is getting pretty ugly.

Sony needs to get their games out quick unless they want to be labeled "Gamecube 2" -- and nobody would want that, would they?

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

I feel that the PS3 is the new Gamecube -- always around the corner is that great game coming out that'll turn things around... the price just keeps getting cut to increase demand and get something back out of their investment... the company (whether it be Sony or Nintendo) misjudged what the consumer wanted and well, screwed up.

That's a simplified version. I wrote way too much about it in my blog and I don't feel like doing it again... so read.

Seriously though, I do believe that. I think we'll see some great games come out for the PS3, and I think that Sony'll keep making them to save their obviously wasted investment. I'm not sure yet if this is a Dreamcast-level failure (I doubt it), but so far... this is getting pretty ugly.

Sony needs to get their games out quick unless they want to be labeled "Gamecube 2" -- and nobody would want that, would they?

mariofan22

I see what you mean but i disagree entirely. The PS3 has had more quality titles in it's first year then the Gamecube had in it's lifetime. Warhawk, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, among others. That's just my opinion though. I'm sorry, but unlike the the GC, the PS3 has a ridiculous amount of 3rd party support. Just look at next years list of exclusives for the PS3 (yes, it's very long). GC had zero 3rd party support, that's what killed it. Very different situations. Not only that, the PS3 was $600 for about a year. Anyone who expected it to sell 10+ million in one year at that price is ignorant. Now that the price has dropped to $400 it's viable that it'll sell alot more. No telling how much but sales should increase by a hefty amount. Alot of people held off on the PS3 due to it's price...now that dilemma for them is fixed.

Arhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Arhazard
Member since 2005 • 125 Posts

mariofan22

The comparison is true (GC was 2nd place in Japan, just like PS3), however the only major difference here is that Gamecube pulled a nice profit, whereas PS3 is causing losses of over 1 billion dollars. Honestly I personally don't think PS3 can move from its current (3rd) position because the competition provided by Microsoft and Nintendo is absolutely astoundingly tough with Nintendo having the casual market wrapped around its finger and Microsoft the hardcore market, which leaves PS3 in the dust. Strangely enough the PS2 had a stranglehold on both these markets and the PS3 has... none.

Sony has made far too many mistakes with this system (far too many to list) and I believe that they will not recover. Sure it will have the some nice games, but the decision to add a Blu-Ray drive to push the format was their greatest mistake and has cost them dearly, something that they thought would be the opposite of. With competition from HD-DVD and normal DVD still the preferred format, along with studios siding with one format or the other, in the future both formats will have no choice but to exist alongside each other.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts

So TC thinks that if the PS3 models were the same price as they were when they launched, they would be selling at the same pace? The price cut and holiday season have nothing to do with it?

louislegros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 louislegros
Member since 2005 • 11530 Posts
I like the PS3 commercials. The song is overplayed, but it still gets you pumped and makes you want to lay down and fight or mosh or headbang or do all of the aforementioned
eddy_of_york

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 eddy_of_york
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
Yea dropping the price didn't increase sales and neither did the holiday season.

Lower prices = more sales

Holiday season = 85 percent of the revenue received by retailers