lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Let us have a moment of silence for PC gaming...

Just kidding, Steam set another record for concurrent users, having just set a new record of 9 million in March

Steam broke its peak concurrent user record over the weekend when more than 9.5 million users logged in at the same time.

According to the Steam and game statistics page, the figure peaked at 9,502,661 users around midday pacific time on May 10.

PC rulez, consoles drool!

*insert whining about auto start/idle/cost/f2p*

I would imagine they'll easily hit 10 million before the year is over

Oh, and the source

EDIT: For those that don't know, concurrent is the number of people online at once, not the total number of steam users

Halo2-Best-FPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Halo2-Best-FPS
Member since 2004 • 784 Posts

Meanwhile PSN has over 110 million http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/07/03/psn-passes-110-million-accounts-sony-pictures-developing-exclusive-original-tv-style-programming-for-psn-timed-exclusives/

If this doesn't prove that PC is just a niche for f2p/flashgame idiots....nothing will.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lostrib

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

Meanwhile PSN has over 110 million http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/07/03/psn-passes-110-million-accounts-sony-pictures-developing-exclusive-original-tv-style-programming-for-psn-timed-exclusives/

If this doesn't prove that PC is just a niche for f2p/flashgame idiots....nothing will.

Do I really need to explain why you're wrong?

You did this on purpose didn't you? You sly devil

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Consider the huge userbase the PC supposed to have these numbers sounds very very low...

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

Looks like a lot of people are fleeing from their consoles to seek higher ground for the great flood that is Gen 8.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

Wow....

Halo2-Best-FPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Halo2-Best-FPS

@aroxx_ab said:

Consider the huge userbase the PC supposed to have these numbers sounds very very low...

yup. xbl and psn have exponentially more.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:
@aroxx_ab said:

yup. xbl and psn have exponentially more.

the math totally checks out

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Halo 2 isn't even the best Halo.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Skelly34

@Blabadon said:

Halo 2 isn't even the best Halo.

Spiderman thread go.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#12 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@skelly34: Nah, no need to ruin the thread over one used. On topic though, I'm happy Steam is getting more and more popular.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Steam hit 9,000,001......QUICK MAKE A NEW THREAD!!!!!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Steam hit 9,000,001......QUICK MAKE A NEW THREAD!!!!!

feel free to do so, but it will probably be locked as Steam hit that number a couple of months ago

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@lostrib: oh really....it'll get locked. Gee that sucks.

I guess the jokes on....THEY JUST REACHED 9,000,002...QUICK MAKE ANOTHER THREAD!!!!

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#16 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

These numbers are great. Not every person with a PC is a "PC Gamer". Some PC companies like to brag about 600+ million PC gamers but most of them are just PC owners who play some facebook games from time to time. The real revenue and PC community is the one who is registered on GOG, Steam, Origin etc or buys games physically. Steam alone currently has 125 million users. 9.5 million were using the platform at the same time.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Wow so many Dota players LOL sorry couldn't resist :P

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@lostrib: oh really....it'll get locked. Gee that sucks.

I guess the jokes on....THEY JUST REACHED 9,000,002...QUICK MAKE ANOTHER THREAD!!!!

Duplicate threads are inadvisable, however I could direct you to a mod if you have any questions on posting rules

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Skelly34

@jhonMalcovich said:

Wow so many Dota players LOL sorry couldn't resist :P

What's wrong with Dota, brohan?

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mr_Huggles_dog

@Cloud_imperium: false.

The real revenue is from MMOs and F2P games.

It's why most big games sell better on console.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

looks like someone doesn't know the word "concurrent" let's buy a dictionary for our ignorant peasant over here.

Halo2-Best-FPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Halo2-Best-FPS

@mr_huggles_dog said:

agreed, if you take out mmo,f2p,rts and other shit PC falls behind fast in sales. Probably last place by far.

ArunsunK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ArunsunK
Member since 2014 • 335 Posts

@Halo2-Best-FPS:

LMAO you can't tell the difference between 'concurrent users' and 'user accounts'. FYI Steam's last count was 125 million active accounts.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#24 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Which is the problem. Call me when publishers get back on board with non f2p or moba pc games. I want single player campaigns or RTS games the like of Baldurs gate 3, Half-life 3, Diablo 4, Black and White 3, Age of Empires 4, Rise of Nations 2, Homeworld 3, Exclusive Doom 4, a new Stalker game, a new Vampire the masquerade, etc......

PC of the past is dead and is only resurrected by kickstarter, strategy games and indies(thankfully or I wouldn't even bother playing pc), with such gems as Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, EU4, Civ5, starpoint gemeni 2, etc... But where is the publisher support? They only show support in form of console ports. I play those on console where they were made for.

When fucking Maxis the maker of the Sim City and the Sims can't even be bothered to be supported by publishers, you know there is a problem.

The Moba genre is the newest fad bubble...that will burst with so many making games for that genre, saturating the market. Those style games are based on the rts mechanic I couldn't stand. Warcraft 3 was the worst rts imo.... and now the rts genre is practically dead besides mobas.

Back in the 90's and the first half of the 00's Pc gaming was the spotlight for new games, new technology and publisher funding...what happened? I remember countless finished games coming out monthly, now everything is early access. You could go to the store and a whole wall was dedicated to PC games, now its a small 3 foot by 3 foot shelf...

So yeah congradulations steam, but your parent company valve has abandoned the hard core in favor of f2p multiplayer hat making bullshit.... where the hell is half-life3...

/rant.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

People don't seem to know what concurrent means, it means users actively on the service at that point in time, 9.5 million people online at once. Steam has roughly 250 million registered accounts and as of three months ago 125 million of those account were active, that number has likely grown.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#26 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59324 Posts

9 million people I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

"Call me when publishers get back on board with non f2p or moba pc games. I want single player campaigns or"

Call me when publishers get on board with single player non-movie games

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Skelly34

@nyadc said:

People don't seem to know what concurrent means, it means users actively on the service at that point in time, 9.5 million people online at once. Steam has roughly 250 million registered accounts and as of three months ago 125 million of those account were active, that number has likely grown.

They know what concurrent means, they're just tryhardering trolling.

@dxmcat said:

"Call me when publishers get back on board with non f2p or moba pc games. I want single player campaigns or"

Call me when publishers get on board with single player non-movie games

I think I'd rather play the first free indie I could find in steam than TLOU.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cloud_imperium

@mr_huggles_dog said:

1. The real revenue is from MMOs and F2P games.
  2. It's why most big games sell better on console.
  1. Huge part yes. Entire revenue,,, No
  2. Source?
Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mr_Huggles_dog

@Cloud_imperium: I didn't say entire revenue. You want that to be a thing but it's not.

I don't need a source. All I need is the usual Ubisoft statement saying PS4 sold most of its games and how GTAV sold sold a little over 1 million last I heard on PC......consoles did that in the first hour or whatever.

So yeah...source it up if you need to.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cloud_imperium
@Midnightshade29 said:

Which is the problem. Call me when publishers get back on board with non f2p or moba pc games. I want single player campaigns or RTS games the like of Baldurs gate 3, Half-life 3, Diablo 4, Black and White 3, Age of Empires 4, Rise of Nations 2, Homeworld 3, Exclusive Doom 4, a new Stalker game, a new Vampire the masquerade, etc......

There are F2P games and Mobas but that doesn't mean there aren't other games in the market. There are plenty of Single Player games on PC. You want campaigns in RTS? Have you missed Starcraft 2 trilogy? Wargame franchise or upcoming Act of Aggression? You want Diablo 4 after they released its expansion last year and probably working on second expansion? Don't count on it... Blizzard takes their times with games and they don't milk the franchise after the trilogy. That's the main reason why there is no Warcraft 4 despite huge demand. Homeworld's AAA prequel is in development, it's called Homeworld Shipbreakers and it's funded by Gearbox. As for cRPGs like Baldurs Gate, plenty of those are out there now more than in the last ten years. New game from STALKER devs is in development, rumored to be STALKER 2.

PC of the past is dead and is only resurrected by kickstarter, strategy games and indies(thankfully or I wouldn't even bother playing pc), with such gems as Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, EU4, Civ5, starpoint gemeni 2, etc... But where is the publisher support? They only show support in form of console ports. I play those on console where they were made for.

If you think PC is dead then Console gaming died last gen. Console gaming is in much worse state. All of those Console games are mostly dumbed down wannabe PC games. Consoles lost their uniqueness a long time ago. The entire industry is a shit show now. PC is still better.

When fucking Maxis the maker of the Sim City and the Sims can't even be bothered to be supported by publishers, you know there is a problem.

We have better City builder now.

The Moba genre is the newest fad bubble...that will burst with so many making games for that genre, saturating the market. Those style games are based on the rts mechanic I couldn't stand. Warcraft 3 was the worst rts imo.... and now the rts genre is practically dead besides mobas.

Moba is huge yes but you are ignoring other titles as mentioned above. And that's just your opinion. Warcraft 3 was masterpiece.

Back in the 90's and the first half of the 00's Pc gaming was the spotlight for new games, new technology and publisher funding...what happened? I remember countless finished games coming out monthly, now everything is early access. You could go to the store and a whole wall was dedicated to PC games, now its a small 3 foot by 3 foot shelf...

I agree that PC gaming is all about digital stores now but there are still AAA games that get boxed release. Like it or not, that's where the entire entertainment industries are headed, even consoles. It's just happening on PC first.

So yeah congradulations steam, but your parent company valve has abandoned the hard core in favor of f2p multiplayer hat making bullshit.... where the hell is half-life3...

Valve doesn't make games that they use to make, true. But you can't ignore other devs.

/rant.

Seems like you are ignoring everything and just looking at one or two genres that aren't big exclusively on PC and complaining about it.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog

How do you feel that Steam has more concurrent users than PSN/XBL combined?

Imagine if we also got GoG/Battlenet/LoL/Origin numbers. Nothing touches PC player count. And none of that is social/flash games!

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mr_Huggles_dog

@-God-: I feel the same as before...bloated from eating too big of a sandwich.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cloud_imperium
@mr_huggles_dog said:

@Cloud_imperium: I didn't say entire revenue. You want that to be a thing but it's not.

I don't need a source. All I need is the usual Ubisoft statement saying PS4 sold most of its games and how GTAV sold sold a little over 1 million last I heard on PC......consoles did that in the first hour or whatever.

Source or it didn't happen.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mr_Huggles_dog

@Cloud_imperium: I'm not citing shit that was talked about and already cited on these forums.

Talk about selective memory.

You act as if a whole thread based on that Ubisoft statement never happened.

Fucking weak dude......weak.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cloud_imperium
@mr_huggles_dog said:

@Cloud_imperium: I'm not citing shit that was talked about and already cited on these forums.

Talk about selective memory.

You act as if a whole thread based on that Ubisoft statement never happened.

Fucking weak dude......weak.

So, no source? I want to see the source. Then I'll post my source to prove you wrong but I won't do that until you do it first. No source... No discussion.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@Cloud_imperium: it's not a discussion when the other person purposely forgets the past in order to steer an agenda.

That's not a discussion....that's a pitch.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cloud_imperium
@mr_huggles_dog said:

@Cloud_imperium: it's not a discussion when the other person purposely forgets the past in order to steer an agenda.

That's not a discussion....that's a pitch.

Still no source.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The PC gaming dying joke is so...2009

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Krelian-co

@mr_huggles_dog said:

once gain making bullshit with absolutely no way of backing it up because it is a straight up lie.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@lostrib:

yanni1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By yanni1
Member since 2004 • 1067 Posts

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

I don't think you understand what the word "concurrent" means.

Actually I'm not even surprised with that avatar, simple games for simple minds I guess.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

The PlayStation 4 accounted for the bulk of their sales for a 3 month period from April to July which likely accounts for the launch of Watch_Dogs, you might want to give people proper context.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Krelian-co

@the_master_race said:

@lostrib:

i laughed more than i should've to this gif, lol.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

That is the best Gaben gif I've seen in a while

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Does this number also count those who are on steam but never use it for gaming?

i use it to chat with my friends but never for gaming :D.. steam much better than skype

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#48 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

It's sad that some people still don't know what "concurrent" means.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

Cool, because Steam had 125M http://www.vg247.com/2015/02/24/steam-has-over-125-million-active-users-8-9m-concurrent-peak/

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Dark Souls 2 sold 2.5 Milion units, has with Namco's report.

It sold 1 million on Steam, despite being 2 months late. And of the remaining 1.5m on consoles, 300k where from Japan.

So, PC is the best selling version.

Cry some more

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

"Quick! someone is talking positive about the PC...it has made me instantly butthurt i must belittle it with lies and personal opinions i claim as the truth, but i can't back up!!1

Just another day in SW :D