Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Source

It turns out this little bugger runs FH5 at X1 settings. The cool thing is, it does it at 60fps, all while you ride a rare appaloosa bare-back

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xantufrog  Moderator

I really love mine. I'm playing a lot of civilization and Desperados 3 on it, but I'm excited to try Persona 4 Golden soon now that they fixed its compatibility

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

valve should advertise the steam deck in japan since portable gaming is king there. If the decks becomes popular in japan we might get better Japanese pc ports.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Yawn... 🥱

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I want mine sooo bad. Ny number should come up next week according to the numbers that came up in the most recent wave of emails.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#6 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

... except it doesn't actually run the game at 60fps. Constant dips and frame time spikes. So, it struggles to run a game in potato mode at 60fps. What an accomplishment. LOL

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

@goldenelementxl: I was wondering today if you got it or not yet.. I'm obsessed with Elden Ring atm but I've got a ton of games in the chute ready to go on deck.

I actually put forza 5 on my wishlist today. A handheld that plays nearly everything? Oh my goodness yes. I'm not even bothering with ps5 or Xbox for a good long while.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

@BassMan said:

... except it doesn't actually run the game at 60fps. Constant dips and frame time spikes. So, it struggles to run a game in potato mode at 60fps. What an accomplishment. LOL

I had to wonder: is it the developer's fault that a game is unable to run at 60fps or is it just the hardware? Also, why is that even current-generation consoles have issues with running games at high or consistent frame rate?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@TheEroica: I really hope it’s soon. I’ve been holding out on Elden Ring to play it in bed on the Steam Deck. My patience is REALLY being tested. I almost bought a GPU today instead because my local Microcenter has a million of them in stock. But the new ones are right around the corner. So I’m just doing a bunch of waiting over here. I’m not very good at it…

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12952 Posts

@onesiphorus said:
@BassMan said:

I had to wonder: is it the developer's fault that a game is unable to run at 60fps or is it just the hardware? Also, why is that even current-generation consoles have issues with running games at high or consistent frame rate?

It runs as intended on Xbox One, PC and Xbox Series.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#12 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

@onesiphorus said:
@BassMan said:

In this case, it is dipping because the GPU is being maxed out and it can't handle it. We can't blame the developers here as FH5 is a fairly well optimized game and Steam Deck was never a target platform. It is just running the PC version.

In general, the consoles are not very powerful and will limit the scope of a game, but ultimately the fault lies with the developer if a game is not running well. The specs are set and the developers know what they are working with. So, they have to optimize it for that platform.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:
@locus-solus said:

valve should advertise the steam deck in japan since portable gaming is king there. If the decks becomes popular in japan we might get better Japanese pc ports.

Linux in Japan has gone up all of a sudden on the Steam survey and it's probably due to the Steam Deck

Loading Video...

This is good news. While I don't plan to get a Steam Deck directly, this sort of boost to gaming on Linux is something I want to see purely for bringing better gaming to Linux and getting out of the Microsoft chokehold on PC gaming.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Isn't Forza one of the better optimized titles there is?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

@goldenelementxl: I also waited for my deck to play elden ring... It was worth the wait... A masterpiece in every sense of the word. Hold out brother! You can do it. Emails coming soon!

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Best library ever for a portable machine... and probably one of the greatest launch libraries of all time for any system.

All signs are pointing to my email getting here on the 16th and I can't wait

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I really love mine. I'm playing a lot of civilization and Desperados 3 on it, but I'm excited to try Persona 4 Golden soon now that they fixed its compatibility

This is awesome to hear: playing strategy on the go seems like a dream of mine :)

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@eoten said:
@girlusocrazy said:
@locus-solus said:

Linux in Japan has gone up all of a sudden on the Steam survey and it's probably due to the Steam Deck

This is good news. While I don't plan to get a Steam Deck directly, this sort of boost to gaming on Linux is something I want to see purely for bringing better gaming to Linux and getting out of the Microsoft chokehold on PC gaming.

Indeed! For that reason I'm also excited about Amazon, Google, FB etc with Cloud gaming. All of those services would be hosted on Linux servers and devs have to make native Linux versions. They might as well release it on PC.

Gaming is the only reason I still have windows.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:
@xantufrog said:

This is awesome to hear: playing strategy on the go seems like a dream of mine :)

How can you guys play strategy games without Mouse and also Keyboard? I have like gazillion shortcuts configured.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

How can you guys play strategy games without Mouse and also Keyboard? I have like gazillion shortcuts configured.

I learned the Age of Empires IV hotkeys by heart and stopped using them after a week.

I'm hardwired to have one hand on the mouse and one hand on WASD.

The Steam deck has trackpads btw, so that would make it doable for strategy games :)

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xantufrog  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k: oh man, it runs Total War Warhammer 2 on high settings. It's perfect for strategy games on the go - EXCEPT, I still find things like Age of Empires too stressful without the mouse+k. Yes, it can "fully" emulate them with all the track pads and input, but it's definitely not how they were meant to be played. But turn-based and pausable games like Civ and Total War? 🤩

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#24 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Good for retro games as well, aside from emulation, for Nintendo to seethe about, Nightdive adapted all their remasters to work flawlessly.

Loading Video...

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

@eoten: You do realise that Linux has been popular for gaming for a really long time, right? Android is a branch of Linux, and we all know how popular Android gaming is.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12952 Posts

@lavamelon said:

@eoten: You do realise that Linux has been popular for gaming for a really long time, right? Android is a branch of Linux, and we all know how popular Android gaming is.

People game on Android/Linux? 😂

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#28 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Playing old school FPS on SD looks like nirvana.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

Luckily the new Steam Deck beta firmware lets you set the screen refresh anywhere from 40Hz to 60Hz so you could probably get an optimal locked frame/refresh

That's one of the new updates I've found be really awesome about the Deck. A 40Hz refresh should really make FH5 appear far more smooth on the deck, as long as it doesn't drop below the the defined refresh. It'll be a while before I get mine though 😞

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

@eoten: Definitely good, and with a vested interest in improving WINE/Proton on popular games.

The Steam Deck also gives developers a target hardware/software configuration for Linux development, with vendor support. Hopefully we see more native games.

It's what I wished Steam Machines would do from the start.

Maybe this will result in some kind of a revival in the Steam Box idea. When those were somewhat a thing, there wasn't any Proton or DXVK, it relied solely on native ports which just wasn't going to be an appealing library to anyone. But if the Steam Deck is successful, giving developers something to target, and showing that Proton/DXVK can bridge that cap, I could see a console with similar cost and performance to a Series X being successful now than it would have ever been before.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12062 Posts

July is my time frame 🙄

Really want to play some titles for this. Any know if Ori plays well on this?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

I really don't get the appeal Steam Deck has over a desktop PC that gives you so much more. But hey, I'm just an old-school PC gamer (desktop) so what do I know🤷‍♂️ If you folks love it, more power to ya👍

Now owning a Switch I can get behind which has a slight advantage over the Steam Deck...The switch has Nintendo exclusives you can't play anywhere else.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I want one but I got enough going on right now. All indicators and such indicate this is yet another amazing piece of hardware from Valve.

@xantufrog said:

Playing something turn-based sounds super relaxing. If I had a long commute or used public transportation I'd love this.

@kuu2 said:

July is my time frame 🙄

Really want to play some titles for this. Any know if Ori plays well on this?

I'm sure Ori plays well, it can't be that demanding of a game. Or is it?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts
@davillain said:

I really don't get the appeal Steam Deck has over a desktop PC that gives you so much more. But hey, I'm just an old-school PC gamer (desktop) so what do I know🤷‍♂️ If you folks love it, more power to ya👍

Now owning a Switch I can get behind which has a slight advantage over the Steam Deck...The switch has Nintendo exclusives you can't play anywhere else.

This is more or less where I am at.

Deck makes sense because I have the library already and my back catalog is so huge, especially for stuff that benefits from a controller (platformers, etc). Switch makes sense because I don't, and I'd like to try out some Nintendo stuff.

In the end, desktop overrides them all and I play too much as it is so I don't really need a portable.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#36 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I cant wait to get one