Star Wars Old Republic sweet MMO?

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cyberstalker1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cyberstalker1
Member since 2011 • 412 Posts

I haven't played it, but it looks really sweet. I have read the review, but haven't heard from the player. They are prob busy playing the game. Is there a monthly fee? How much is it? Will my laptop running windows 7 run it? Should I burn all my other systems and buy it??

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

wait for daiblo3 or gw2. i would probably get ToR in the summer or a year from now when everything is smoothed out and the content is larger.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
I only played the Beta, but it was pretty fun. I'll pick it up eventually, but yeah as mentioned GW2 sems way, way cooler.
rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

I don't reccomend getting a subscription to this game.

If you want to pay 60 bucks for a months service then thats up to you, but paying monthly for this broken game would be a crime.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jankarcop

i was waitin for them to fix textures b4 buying it, but they aren't going to any time soon :(

Whats sad is, i played closed beta (in july-august) and it had full high-res textures and looked better than it does now. unnacceptable for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
It's pretty solid (has a ton of issues) but I'd wait for guild wars 2 or tera.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#7 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

wish I could play it, I have to wait for at least next paycheck to upgrade my PC.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts
Im loving it
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
SWTOR is awesome. I'm lvl 44 right now, and the levelling process is awesome. It's not a grind at all but an engaging, story-driven experience. Sure, there are still some bugs, but nothing that is too bothering. The endgame content seems pretty standard: raids, pvp, battlegrounds, hardmode instances, crafting, etc. They did add 4 new raid bosses and a new 5 man in within the first month, so it appears like new content can be expected regularly.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts
Best MMO I've ever played. Just don't come in expecting anything revolutionary, like so many people did. Good stories from what I've played (Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter) and I have a hard time veering off the story to do other quests. I'm that interested. The VA is very well done, and actually does add to the experience, before I played it I was a hater. Flashpoints are REALLY fun, giving you the element of choice during a dungeon, as a group! As of right now I find it hard to stop playing. The game has flaws, but they will be patched. New content coming soon, I say sign up!
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

its a mediocre WoW clone

the graphics are terrible and the art style is garbage, every race is the same, animations are terrible, DARK HEAL, retcons KOTOR 2

Kiro0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kiro0
Member since 2009 • 1176 Posts

It's a WoW clone no one would be talking about if it didn't have Star Wars in the name. It's fine I guess. Honestly I'd just rather play a good single-player RPG though. Friend of mine bought it for me for Christmas and I'm playing for the month that comes with the purchase, not sure if I'll keep going.

gearsoftime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gearsoftime
Member since 2007 • 579 Posts

played the beta didn't like it

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
SWToR is a very good game. I havent even gotten a character over 20 yet as I have about 5 going at the moment and I just switch between them all depending on my mood. If you played and enjoyed WoW, you know what to expect except this game doesn't turn into a mundane grind fest that WoW would simply because SWToR actually has a story that is very compelling imo!!
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

I am enjoying it a lot, its very good, really captured the starwars vibe.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Will my laptop running windows 7 run it?

cyberstalker1

What hardware does that laptop have? Cpu, Gpu, ram.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Maroxad  Online
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

As someone else said, it is a mediocre WoW clone.

Ability Delay, poor visuals, every playable race is almost the exact same (though, there were some people who actually denied this), poor PvP where you cannot que as a full group or choose which warzone to play in addition to lack of brackets, completely broken crafting system where only Biochem is viable, most stories are banal and boring, terrible optimization, does little new, extremely linear levelling exprience, no world interactivity, lacks features such as armor dyeing and appearance slots/transmogrification/ect.

With that said, it might be worth looking into if you have nothing else to do.

Legacy-of-Todd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Legacy-of-Todd
Member since 2011 • 539 Posts

TORtanic

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

its a mediocre WoW clone

the graphics are terrible and the art style is garbage, every race is the same, animations are terrible, DARK HEAL, retcons KOTOR 2

HaloinventedFPS
Recons, Kotor 2. Ha. You never even played the game have you?
Peanut04_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Peanut04_basic
Member since 2002 • 724 Posts
It's a pretty good game. I have a lot of friends playing it and they are loving it. I played the beta. After it was released, one of my friends shared his account with me, so I could play it while he was at work. I just couldn't get into it, which is too bad, I really wanted to find out what happened to Revan after Kotor 1 and 2. WoW just killed all my interest in playing mmo's or rpg's for that matter.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dreman999
It's a pretty good game. I have a lot of friends playing it and they are loving it. I played the beta. After it was released, one of my friends shared his account with me, so I could play it while he was at work. I just couldn't get into it, which is too bad, I really wanted to find out what happened to Revan after Kotor 1 and 2. WoW just killed all my interest in playing mmo's or rpg's for that matter.Peanut04_basic
try action rpgs.
Peanut04_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Peanut04_basic
Member since 2002 • 724 Posts
[QUOTE="Peanut04_basic"]It's a pretty good game. I have a lot of friends playing it and they are loving it. I played the beta. After it was released, one of my friends shared his account with me, so I could play it while he was at work. I just couldn't get into it, which is too bad, I really wanted to find out what happened to Revan after Kotor 1 and 2. WoW just killed all my interest in playing mmo's or rpg's for that matter.dreman999
try action rpgs.

I've always like Rpg's, I just can't play them anymore. I been watching The Witcher 2 and I think I may really like it. I'm hoping the action rpg genre will be a good balance for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-58b6232955e4a

TORtanic

Legacy-of-Todd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o08e_xlXAVc

shazbot

AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AGMing
Member since 2003 • 1694 Posts
loving the game, with the exception of when friends have come round and we have played MvC3 and pinball its the only game iv played for about a month. I may be wrong but the majority of negatives in the thread appear to be from people who have played very little of the game, it does have issues for sure but nothing game breaking.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

i have a lvl 47 sith marauder and the levelling part of the game is better than WoW. i'll have to see how the end game compares.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

I haven't played it, but it looks really sweet. I have read the review, but haven't heard from the player. They are prob busy playing the game. Is there a monthly fee? How much is it? Will my laptop running windows 7 run it? Should I burn all my other systems and buy it??

cyberstalker1
Overall? Just a good mmorpg. Nothing you havent seen before. Nothing at all except small "cutscenes" between quests. The next big thing is Guild Wars 2 and maybe Blizzard's Titan. And thats what im waiting for.
Deevoshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Deevoshun
Member since 2003 • 868 Posts

It's pretty solid (has a ton of issues) but I'd wait for guild wars 2 or tera. SAGE_OF_FIRE

Looking forward to Tera, I don't care for the art style. But the gameplay is what I am after, tired of clicking then casting. I want my attacks/spells in real time like a FPS Tera is bringing that.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

cyberstalker1
Overall? Just a good mmorpg. Nothing you havent seen before. Nothing at all except small "cutscenes" between quests. The next big thing is Guild Wars 2 and maybe Blizzard's Titan. And thats what im waiting for.
moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
I'm level 34 and I'll probably stick iwth a 9.0 score. The great thing about it is if you play a decent amount (for MMO standards) you should get to level 50 by your first free month (while also casually exploring some instances and other extras) to see whether or not if it's an MMO worth sticking with iyo.
moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
I'm level 34 and I'll probably stick iwth a 9.0 score. The great thing about it is if you play a decent amount (for MMO standards) you should get to level 50 by your first free month (while also casually exploring some instances and other extras) to see whether or not if it's an MMO worth sticking with iyo.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#34 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It's WoW.
No I'm not being totally fair, I know that. I have seen the improvements and also the differences. More instanced, less people around you, more involvement in the story, worse map structure, better crafting system.
But more or less the same.

Like the others said, wait for GW2. But there is no guarantee that GW2 will be good. They are waiting a long time for releasing it.

Legacy-of-Todd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Legacy-of-Todd

[QUOTE="Legacy-of-Todd"]

TORtanic

SAGE_OF_FIRE

shazbot

Love that video so much.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dreman999

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

[QUOTE="Legacy-of-Todd"]

TORtanic

Legacy-of-Todd

shazbot

Love that video so much.

Funny, I don't see how something that sells 2 million copies is a sinking ship?
Legacy-of-Todd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Legacy-of-Todd

[QUOTE="Legacy-of-Todd"]

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

shazbot

dreman999

Love that video so much.

Sales =/= Subs

They are losing subs. People arn't happy with the fact that game has bugs that bioware are ignoring, and then banning people for using exploits (by exploits I mean, taking items from a box 15 times)I said in the other topic, the game will be dead within 3-4 months.

But we will always remember those lost in the TORtanic, those poor dancing people who got banned for not being in the "dancing zones" and then couldn't cancel their sub.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Is it true that if you cancel your sub they delete your account?
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dreman999

[QUOTE="dreman999"][QUOTE="Legacy-of-Todd"]

Love that video so much.

Legacy-of-Todd

Sales =/= Subs

They are losing subs. People arn't happy with the fact that game has bugs that bioware are ignoring, and then banning people for using exploits (by exploits I mean, taking items from a box 15 times)I said in the other topic, the game will be dead within 3-4 months.

But we will always remember those lost in the TORtanic, those poor dancing people who got banned for not being in the "dancing zones" and then couldn't cancel their sub.

Yes, lets count subs when the games only been out less then a month during free month time.... Great way to grade something. And no they are not losing subs. And no they are not banning people left and right. And that exploit is trying to take an item from the world for lvl 40-50 when your at lvl 21.

Also, know one got banned for the dancing glitch, bw just fixed the glitch.

Legacy-of-Todd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Legacy-of-Todd

[QUOTE="Legacy-of-Todd"]

[QUOTE="dreman999"] Funny, I don't see how something that sells 2 million copies is a sinking ship?dreman999

Sales =/= Subs

Yes, lets count subs when the games only been out less then a month during free month time.... Great way to grade something. And no they are not losing subs. And no they are not banning people left and right. And that exploit is trying to take an item from the world for lvl 40-50 when your at lvl 21.

Also, know one got banned for the dancing glitch, bw just fixed the glitch.

Uh, if people are leaving during the free month thats a problem, anyway, I've seen in other threads that you are a biosheep so I'm not going to get into a argument.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I would go for it if it wasn't P2P. I only payed for World of Warcraft because that made me more addicted than cigarretes.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

WoW and ToR

Two ships sinking, battling over who will sink first.

Only one MMO worth paying for afaik, that's Eve Online, but that's too boring for most ppl.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

[QUOTE="Legacy-of-Todd"]

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

shazbot

dreman999

Love that video so much.

Warhammer Online sold that much. Where is it now?

EDIT: And Mythic made WaR, and most of their staffers got moved over to ToR.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="dreman999"][QUOTE="Legacy-of-Todd"]

Love that video so much.

Legacy-of-Todd

Sales =/= Subs

WaR didn't even die after 4 years, and had half the launch subs/purchases. Don't count on it.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Maroxad  Online
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

[QUOTE="Legacy-of-Todd"]

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

shazbot

dreman999

Love that video so much.

According to graphs I have seen SWTOR's population is declining every day. And that is not only counting the big drop of user activity after the holidays, each day (with the exception of weekends) the amount of user activity decreases. Compared to launch and now, there is approximately 40% less user activity.

I really wonder how many people will stay after the first month.

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#46 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
I am about to quit playing the game
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I think its a lot of fun, but man does this game have some issues.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

[QUOTE="Legacy-of-Todd"]

[QUOTE="dreman999"] Funny, I don't see how something that sells 2 million copies is a sinking ship?Jankarcop

Sales =/= Subs

WaR didn't even die after 4 years, and had half the launch subs/purchases. Don't count on it.

WaR, as of Augest 12,2010 had only 4 servers left. And the Majority of those who play are people exploiting the endless free trial.

EDIT: only for NA servers left.

CAPSROGUE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CAPSROGUE
Member since 2008 • 863 Posts

This game starts out fun but by the time you hit 50 you're going to really really hate it.I'll do a mini-review here.

GAMEPLAY

The most important thing about a game is without a doubt gameplay. ToR just flat out fails in this department. I'm playing a Sith Inquisitor Assassin (Jedi Counselar Shadow mirror) which is the equivelant of a rogue in WoW. Rogues have "energy", Assassins have "force". Now, Bioware thought that auto-attack is stupid because it doesn't involve any participation, you just enable it and that's it. I agree, I prefer more control as well. Instead of removing auto-attack and boosting energy/force regen, they reduced energy/force regen and introduced a low-damage attack that does barely any damage and has no cost. I call it "Manual auto-attack", because it is.

Now you're wondering, what's the problem? Your "Manual auto-attack" does barely any damage. It's roughly 10% hp of a same-level weak mob, and 1-2% of a strong mob and also trigger the GCD (Global Cooldown). Now imagine having to spam that 50% of the time. Sound like fun huh?

On top of that the game is just unresponsive. I'm not sure what it is but there's always some sort of delay. It just does not feel fluid.

My next gripe, the amount of copy/pasting is truely disgusting. (1) Stealth = Stealth, (2) Thrash = Sinister Strike, (3) Maul = Backstab, (4) Low Slash = Gouge, (5) Force Cloak = Vanish, (6) Lacerate/Wither/Discharge(LC) = Fan of Knives with different costs/cooldowns/effects, (7) Electrocute = 4sec Kidney Shot, (8) Recklessness = Cold Blood, (9) Force Speed = Short Sprint, (10) Jolt = Kick, (11) Mind Trap = Sap, (12) Assassinate = Eviscerate for sub-30% targets (basicly Execute), (13) Force Shroud = 3sec Cloak of Shadows, (14) Spike = 2sec Cheap Shot, (15) Crushing Darkness = Rupture with cast-time, (16) Whirlwind = Blind with cast-time. (17) Deflection = Combat Readiness with a twist.

Add (18) "Manual Auto-attack" and (19) Unbreakable Will (PvP Trinket) and your bar is pretty much full (24 spots). Despite all this there's barely any synergy, it just feels like you're chaining random moves as opposed to the combo-system in WoW. It's not perfect in WoW, but sure as hell beats this crap.

I basicly mapped out all these abilities the same as my rogue in WoW so I was a pro from the get-go.

STORY

Only 2 seem to jump out from what I've heard. The Sith Warrior & Imperial Agent storylines. The rest, including Sith Inquisitor, is just ... it doesn't even compare to a B-movie for god's sake. Now the problem is that everything has fully-voiced cutscenes. Now for the main storyline this is pretty nice, I'm just not satisfied with the story but the whole presentation is pretty decent. But for every single quest? It's a grind and nothing changes that really, at the end of the conversation it's the same ****: Go kill # amount of people/aliens/whatever. I'm just spacebarring through conversations after a while because you really don't care.

I changed some words/bits as to not spoil anything, this is basicly a summary of the class storyline for one of the 8 classes: Every class storyline is divided into 3 acts. In the first act my "buddy" commanded me to go search for 4 items, which were on 4 different planets. Each planet requires a higher level, in each you gain roughly 3-4 levels. So out of the 50 levels I have to level 12-16 to finally progress to the next part of the story. Act 2: Go collect 4 "other things" from 4 different planets. Act 3: Go find a "solution" on the next 2 planets, but go level on 2 other random planets first to get to the appropiate level to be able to visit those planets. You've got to level soooooo much to finally be able to progress the story, it just becomes a drag.

Why not put the entire budget for all 8 storylines together to make one very epic storyline EVERY class can participate in and a couple of small class-related quests?

DIALOGUE

This stuff makes no sense. I can assassinate every alien up till the boss and not get a single dark/light point, but it's not OK to kill the leader? It's not even OK to kill traitors which caused the deaths of millions of aliens/people?

Certain dialogue options don't even correspond with what your character ends up saying, but ultimately you won't care. Why? Certain items require Light/Dark I/II/III levels. Also, your compagnions will lose/gain affection depending on the dialogue option you pick. The higher the affection the better they perform.

If you don't go all Light or all Dark (human beings tend to be shades of grey) and end up around neutral/grey there's absolutely no gain and a lot to lose. You'll have to pass on some fine gear. Same for compagnions, if you pick whatever YOU want, your compagnions are not going to perform as they could have.

Instead of restricting the choices you make to only have an impact on the storyline, they also let it affect your gear progress/compagnion's performance which both hamper your progression through the game. You might think this has a minor impact but it doesn't. A large % of the people simply pick the Dark/Light choice just to get the points, not caring at all about what that might mean story-wise.

GRAPHICS

This game does not run well on low-end machines. By low-end I mean machines that can run Crysis 2/Skyrim decently but be met with a lot of stuttering, choppy animations, and many many other issues in this game. Why is this? Maybe because ... they build their entire game on an unproven, not finished yet game engine? Say what!??!?! Yeah.

This article from Gamasutra goes into some detail.

END

There are a lot more issues with this game but I can't be bothered with mentioning them all. When I was playing WoW I complained a lot, about the lack of world PVP, flipflip-balance between ****s, certain flawed game-mechanics. I considered WoW the McDonalds of MMOs, good enough as long you play it casual. ToR has given me an unbelievable amount of respect for WoW, ToR manages to deliver food that is worse than McDonalds.

I'd like to end with this. This is also the the tl;dr: "Bioware developers making a joke out of themselves, lying with a straight face"-YOUTUBE VID.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

I don't reccomend getting a subscription to this game.

If you want to pay 60 bucks for a months service then thats up to you, but paying monthly for this broken game would be a crime.

rasengan2552
Stop breeding false information please. it has its bug buts its far from broken. ITs actually pretty good.