Square Enix Announces it's new JRPG , Lost Sphear (PS4, Nintendo Switch & PC)

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

================================

Tokyo RPG Factory Announces Second Artisan Title "Lost Sphear"

Tokyo RPG Factory, the Square Enix studio dedicated to creating games that blend Japanese role-playing games with the latest technology for a new generation of gamers, has announced their all-new title, Lost Sphear (read as “Lost Sphere”). The title is set to arrive on the PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, Nintendo Switch console, and Steam in early 2018 for $49.99.

The adventure of Lost Sphear begins in a remote town where a young boy, Kanata, awakens from a devastating dream to find his hometown disappearing. To stop the world from being lost forever, Kanata and his comrades set out to rebuild the world around them with the power of Memory by manifesting thoughts into matter.

Expanding upon the beloved features from their debut title, I Am Setsuna, Lost Sphear features an enhanced gameplay system with a revamped ATB battle system where players can strategize and freely adjust their placement mid-fight, seamless environments, and various locations to explore.

For more information on Lost Sphear, please visit: lostsphear.com.

Lost Sphear will be available digitally from the PlayStation Store, Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch, and Steam. A physical package is now available for pre-order exclusively from the Square Enix Online Store for the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch. Fans who pre-order the game from the Square Enix Online Store will receive two music tracks as a gift at launch.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

What makes it "artisan"? The style? Because that trailer screams "GENERIC JRPG!" like crazy.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25043 Posts

That looks like another generic animu based JRPG. great!

plus the music is terrible imo.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

another generic trash with awful production values and outdated gameplay and gfx

then again what can you expect from the laughing stock of the industry?

edit:

Switch? well that explains a lot of things.Real games could never run on that weak hardware.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

another generic trash with awful production values and outdated gameplay and gfx

edit:

Switch? well that explains a lot of things.Real games could never run on that weak hardware.

What's a real game out of interest?

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

I love Squeenix and Jrpgs, but whats the point of going for the Switch and Ps4 market, while ignoring the 30+ million Xbox One users? Doesnt make any sense to me. Even if only 10% of Xbox users bought it, its still 3 million more units sold. Like whats the point of a half exclusive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Jesus. The first 3 post use the G word. If only GS had a built in thesaurus or something as that word is becoming so generic.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25043 Posts

@boycie said:

Jesus. The first 3 post use the G word. If only GS had a built in thesaurus or something as that word is becoming so generic.

this is generic. this is what we have seen billion times before. a girly animu JRPG, have turn based combat, terrible music.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@boycie said:

this is generic. this is what we have seen billion times before. a girly animu JRPG, have turn based combat, terrible music.

LOL , dude , it's 'JRPG' what else did you expect ?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34747 Posts

Could be cool. I dig the graphics. Trailer didn't show much more than it looking like a pretty regular JRPG, though. But I'm not dismissing it because of that.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

There has to be a Scorpio version, Phil went to Japan for goodness sake.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Desmonic  Moderator

@boycie said:

See, you're making the mistake of assuming my opinion is the same as the two below. I like JRPG's. I just don't like playing the same story I've played a thousand times by now.

• Young hero.
  • From a small town.
  • Has unique ability.
  • World is in some sort of peril.
  • Only the hero can stop it!
  • Must gather a group of friends/allies.
  • Tired jokes&stereotypes about female friends/allies which are supposed to show us "young love" or something like that.
  • Friendship D-R-A-M-A!
  • Possible betrayal + redemption.
  • Final FINAL boss can be only killed/defeated after the power of friendship/love/innocence is made clear to the hero.
  • Insert credits here.

^^

Even if only half of this ends up being true in the actual game, I've already "played" half of the story in my head before I even get the game. You can see how that's a problem in any RPG, right? RPG's thrive just as much on the actual plot as they do the gameplay.

This has been a thing in many JRPG's. Some do it well, great even! To the point where you can kinda forget about all of the above. However, most really don't. The style doesn't bother me, I think that's probably the best thing it has going for it right now. And the predictable turn based gameplay also doesn't bother me, that can also be fun if done correctly (see Persona games for example).

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OmniChris
Member since 2016 • 413 Posts

Honestly.. it just looks way too much like I Am Setsuna, and that game was boring, really REALLY boring. To compare that game to Chrono Trigger is an insult. Do not do that. I mean, I like my old school JRPGs, but I Am Setsuna just didn't even compare. Then again.. I am Setsuna had you constantly stuck in snow enviroments with that annoying repetitive piano music. This game however looks like it might be a lot more varied. I might give it a chance.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

@Desmonic said:
@boycie said:

See, you're making the mistake of assuming my opinion is the same as the two below. I like JRPG's. I just don't like playing the same story I've played a thousand times by now.

• Young hero.
  • From a small town.
  • Has unique ability.
  • Tired jokes&stereotypes about female friends/allies which are supposed to show us "young love" or something like that.
  • Friendship D-R-A-M-A!
  • Final FINAL boss can be only killed/defeated after the power of friendship/love/innocence is made clear to the hero.
  • Insert credits here.

^^

Even if only half of this ends up being true in the actual game, I've already "played" half of the story in my head before I even get the game. You can see how that's a problem in any RPG, right? RPG's thrive just as much on the actual plot as they do the gameplay.

This has been a thing in many JRPG's. Some do it well, great even! To the point where you can kinda forget about all of the above. However, most really don't. The style doesn't bother me, I think that's probably the best thing it has going for it right now. And the predictable turn based gameplay also doesn't bother me, that can also be fun if done correctly (see Persona games for example).

I can fully understand this. But as long as its done well, i generally dont mind a generic Jrpg. So hopefully this one doesnt disappoint.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@drrollinstein said:
@Desmonic said:
@boycie said:

• Young hero.
  • From a small town.
  • Has unique ability.
  • Friendship D-R-A-M-A!
  • Insert credits here.

^^

I can fully understand this. But as long as its done well, i generally dont mind a generic Jrpg. So hopefully this one doesnt disappoint.

Exactly, fanboys are getting so whinny these days. Its some sad days when people have to use generic shitposting about games not even released yet.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

@iandizion713: The generic looking JRPG must be on console that you love for you to respond this way.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Perfect for the switch, looks like a handheld title. Also it stars a load of children, cute.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Desmonic  Moderator

@iandizion713 said:

Exactly, fanboys are getting so whinny these days. Its some sad days when people have to use generic shitposting about games not even released yet.

Oh, the irony.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

edit:

The laughingstock of the industry? Regardless of how you feel about Square Enix or their work you've got it all wrong. The laughingstock of the industry doesn't sell 5 million plus first day like FFXV did. Square Enix might not be the industry changing behemoth that it was about 10-15 years ago but it's far from being what you called it, tho

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

It's kind of funny how Japanese developers don't even bother with the X1 anymore. Well, judging by X1 users reactions towards Japanese games I don't blame them. I guess the X1 crowd is not too fond of Japanese games so it isn't worth the extra effort and resources. Having said that the story of this game looks really lame... Japan has so many good stories, I don't know why they choose so lame ones for video games sometimes

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#22 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Why even attempt to find this sphear?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

edit:

"real games"

You remind me of this kid

Loading Video...

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cainetao11

@pinkanimal: Japanese games like this? Yep, keep this crap.

"it's time guys!! With our combined power and friendship we can bring back the world, WEABOO GOOOOOOOOOO!"

You guys act like RE7 isn't made by Japanese and on X1.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Valgaav_219

@metalslimenite: Mass Effect: Andromeda is a hot ass mess. Destiny is at the very bottom of my backlog because I wasn't really impressed. And I can't say much about Prey because I don't really know much. I'd take Persona 5, Nier Automata, and Tales of Berseria or Nioh over any of those titles any day. I guess your name has to be Zelda to be from Japan yet still getting the proper recognition in the West lol

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3745 Posts

I'm not able to play this shitty looking mobile game on my Xbox one?! THANK YOU, MICROSOFT!

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Valgaav_219

Lemming trolls pretend to have no interest in JRPG's when in actuality they don't have a choice. They know they're just gonna get more of the same so now they just trash whatever other consoles get that they just don't have access to. Persona 5, Nioh, and HZD say hi lol

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

lol Xbox One is getting dropped faster than the WiiU for third party support.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

I'm just here for the xbox one damage control.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blue_hazy_basic
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

I couldn't even make it through the trailer #thatmusic

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#32 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

@Desmonic said:
@boycie said:

• Young hero.
  • From a small town.
  • Has unique ability.
  • Friendship D-R-A-M-A!
  • Insert credits here.

^^

Just like WRPG always use the same crap too.

Open world

Filler side quests

Lackluster/forgettable principal quest

FPS or 3rd person view : control only one caracter

Meaningless dialog option

So none are that good. We could do the same thing with any other style of game.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#33 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Meh.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PinkAnimal

@cainetao11: yeah with games like this one X1 gamers are probably not missing much but Persona 5, Nioh, Nier, Yakuza... All those are some of the best games this gen so far and all skipped the X1.

EnergyAbsorber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 EnergyAbsorber
Member since 2005 • 5112 Posts

Most Developers don't even want to waste there time on Xbox versions anymore.

TLHBO

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
@clefdefa said:
@Desmonic said:

• Young hero.
  • From a small town.
  • Has unique ability.
  • Friendship D-R-A-M-A!
  • Insert credits here.

^^

That is not a counter-point.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

@clefdefa said:

Open world

Filler side quests

Lackluster/forgettable principal quest

FPS or 3rd person view : control only one caracter

Meaningless dialog option

So none are that good. We could do the same thing with any other style of game.

Actually you described a Bethesda game. :P

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Looked rather boring and strangely familiar.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Looks cool, I like the art style and music. The premise may be what we have seen a million times before but as long as the story is good and characters are likeable with decent combat, I'll get it.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#40 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Xbone owners aren't missing much by the looks of it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56347 Posts

Gotta say, this looks pretty damn awesome. I love how the Switch is getting so many classic-style JRPGs. Definitely adding this to my wishlist.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Funny this news comes as I've been playing I am Setsuna on my Switch.

I've actually been enjoying Setsuna too, or was atleast until the game started throwing BS bosses in my direction.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cainetao11

@pinkanimal: That's all subjective. Persona, Nier and Yakuza aren't interesting to me. Nioh is a GOTY contender though Imo. Telling me about games that got high scores from other people that do not interest me means nothing to me. I'm the one who pays for the games I play, it's my time I spend playing so others opinions don't really factor in.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PinkAnimal

@cainetao11: that's cool and I don't think anyone disputes that but the fact that the X1 doesn't have those games subtracts the attractiveness of it for many people out there.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cainetao11

@pinkanimal: I don't argue that at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

As an XB1 owner i would welcome this game, but it seems SquareEnix doesn't want my money, oh well i'll spend it on a publisher who does :)

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#47 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

@jg4xchamp: Saying JRPG always do the same thing isn't a valid point when every other genre including WRPG do the same thing over and over. At this point it is a formula and all of them use it.

SarahF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SarahF
Member since 2015 • 182 Posts

"Begins in a remote town where a young boy..."

Not interested.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts