Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts

@worlds_apart said:

@mysticaldonut: Team Ninja and FromSoftware are well established develpoers though. They have made games for multiple platforms before. Those games would have still released with or without Sony's backing (My opinion not fact). Just like Capcom would have released Street Fighter V with or without Sony's backing. Unless I'm ill informed I guess.

You are misinformed- Team Ninja and FromSoft are developers, Capcom is a publisher. Developers pitch their game ideas to a publisher to get funding and the publisher funds the game development (inn exchange for profit obviously but also sometimes owning the IP). In the case of Capcom, they are a big publishing arm with multiple devs under their umbrella so yes Street Fighter would get made either way, the deal was Sony just being greedy and literally paying to keep the game off of Xbox. In the case of Bloodborne, Sony directly funded the game and FromSoft developed it so without Sony it would not been made (unless, of course, FromSoft had pitched the game to another publisher and they funded it)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#52 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

@mysticaldonut said:
@worlds_apart said:

@mysticaldonut: Team Ninja and FromSoftware are well established develpoers though. They have made games for multiple platforms before. Those games would have still released with or without Sony's backing (My opinion not fact). Just like Capcom would have released Street Fighter V with or without Sony's backing. Unless I'm ill informed I guess.

You are misinformed- Team Ninja and FromSoft are developers, Capcom is a publisher. Developers pitch their game ideas to a publisher to get funding and the publisher funds the game development (inn exchange for profit obviously but also sometimes owning the IP). In the case of Capcom, they are a big publishing arm with multiple devs under their umbrella so yes Street Fighter would get made either way, the deal was Sony just being greedy and literally paying to keep the game off of Xbox. In the case of Bloodborne, Sony directly funded the game and FromSoft developed it so without Sony it would not been made (unless, of course, FromSoft had pitched the game to another publisher and they funded it)

Can you provide the link that the games you mentioned were funded by Sony? It would be good for clearing the misinformation.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@jeffbuckley1: You wouldn't even need an Xbox to play it. You will be able to get Game Pass on newer Samsung televisions.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

This is Sony's desperate last stand. Once Call of Duty is Game Pass exclusive, Sony won't be able to compete with Microsoft's lineup.

Checkmate.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#55 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16018 Posts

@Pedro said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@worlds_apart said:

Can you provide the link that the games you mentioned were funded by Sony? It would be good for clearing the misinformation.

https://trademarks.justia.com/862/62/bloodborne-86262151.html

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts
@sakaixx said:
@Pedro said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@worlds_apart said:

https://trademarks.justia.com/862/62/bloodborne-86262151.html

It is a pretty common fact that this is how deals are done in the gaming industry- especially with Sony, they almost always have required ownership of the IP- you have seen this with games like Bloodborne, The Order 1886, Until Dawn- all developed by third party independent developers but published by Sony. They needed Sony (a publisher) funding to make the game possible. Ready At Dawn said at one point they would love to move forward with a sequel to The Order but couldn't because Sony did not greenlight one and Sony retains the IP:

https://www.destructoid.com/ready-at-dawn-talks-the-order-1886-and-the-future-for-the-series/

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-games/3696202/sony-interactive-entertainment-files-trademark-order-1886/

More info the business relationship between Ready At Dawn and Sony: https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/06/08/the-order-1886-developer-ready-at-dawn-expanding-in-new-directions.aspx

Back in the day, they were called "second party" exclusives because while they were not devs owned by the publisher, the game would still be exclusive (this term isn't used as much nowadays from what I have seen, though). Ready At Dawn Studios, FromSoftware and Supermassive Games were all second party developers to Sony. Insomniac Games was one for a long time because they had traditionally developed exclusively for Sony platforms (and now Sony has acquired them as of 2019 as a first party studio).

"First party" exclusives are games developed by studios owned by the publisher directly (in Sony's case, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch Productions, Guerrilla Games, etc.) and "third party" exclusives would be where another publisher has agreed to publish and develop a game only for that console manufacturer: Street Fighter V is an example of this because Capcom is a publishing arm and development studio.

Supposedly, Insomniac went to Microsoft for Sunset Overdrive because they wanted to retain ownership of the IP and Microsoft agreed to let them remain 100% in control of it: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sunset-overdrive-exclusive-to-xbox-one-because-microsoft-allowed-insomniac-to-own-the-rights-to-its-creation/1100-6419558/

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#57 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 507 Posts

@mysticaldonut: Wow thnx for the info. It's good to know. Also thnx for not turning this into a childish flame war with insults like others do on this board.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7307 Posts

@Pedro said:
@jeffbuckley1 said:

What wrong with exclusives? They have always existed

I use to buy a playstation for gran turismo but its crap now so i switched to xbox. Its the way the industrys has always worked

If people want to play cod just get an xbox

There way cheaper anyway

Always existed is not a valid reason for it to continue to exist.

I believe in first party studio owned companies exclusive.

but not third party content.

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 gotgames
Member since 2022 • 476 Posts

Yeah let’s compare one game to buying out publishers and developers like Activision and Bethesda 🤡Fanboys 🤡

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Pedro

@gotgames said:

Yeah let’s compare one game to buying out publishers and developers like Activision and Bethesda 🤡Fanboys 🤡

Yep! Sony only bought one game.🤣🤡

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#61 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9740 Posts

@gotgames said:

What Microsoft is doing is sleazy. They own so many FPS franchises already.

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 gotgames

@Pedro: you can say the same about MS from mass effect all the way to odd world stranger, difference is Sony will not be able to make any deals any more with them.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Pedro

@gotgames said:

@Pedro: you can say the same about MS from mass effect all the way to odd world stranger, difference is Sony will not be able to make any deals any more with them.

That is the luxury of purchasing a studio. It is weird that you are OK with purchasing exclusives but not OK with permanently purchasing exclusives.🤷🏽‍♂️

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 gotgames

@Pedro: its called competition Sony has been busy creating new IPs and old IPs and been busy making deals with 3rd party studios and publishers just like MS is doing right now getting exclusive rights to put day 1 release on Gamepass that’s fair practice, buying up Big publishers like Activision or Bethesda that have established franchise is taking away that part of gaming industry. Just look at Disney + has more subscribers than Netflix by buying out established franchises and that is what ms is doing

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1411 Posts

@Pedro said:

It is first time I have seen "gaming journalist" talk about this practice is a negative way, even though it has been the norm for decades. "More exclusives", "Exclusives is good","No exclusives means no competition" <- objectively false.

Objectively false is your representation of the argument. It isn't "no exclusives no competition". The competitve game shifts from quality to quantity, from the individual game exceeding and setting new standards to low-quality bulk products, from innovation to stagnation.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Pedro

@gotgames said:

@Pedro: its called competition Sony has been busy creating new IPs and old IPs and been busy making deals with 3rd party studios and publishers just like MS is doing right now getting exclusive rights to put day 1 release on Gamepass that’s fair practice, buying up Big publishers like Activision or Bethesda that have established franchise is taking away that part of gaming industry. Just look at Disney + has more subscribers than Netflix by buying out established franchises and that is what ms is doing

What is called competition? The purchasing of exclusives? Sony, MS and Nintendo create new IP and support old IPs, so what is your point? What MS is doing is pushing the exclusive practice that so many of have been praising to the next level. Exclusives were NEVER good for gamers and since gamers and journalist has ALWAYS been in support of this practice, we are getting the fruits of it. Since purchasing exclusives is acceptable, then by extension purchasing studios even in bulk is. The rules don't changes because MS came along and super sized the practice. It is called competition.😏

@palasta said:
@Pedro said:

It is first time I have seen "gaming journalist" talk about this practice is a negative way, even though it has been the norm for decades. "More exclusives", "Exclusives is good","No exclusives means no competition" <- objectively false.

Objectively false is your representation of the argument. It isn't "no exclusives no competition". The competitve game shifts from quality to quantity, from the individual game exceeding and setting new standards to low-quality bulk products, from innovation to stagnation.

What is objectively false? My comment that gaming journalist stating that no exclusive equates to no competition? What is being misrepresented?

The rest of your comment has no relation to what was stated.

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 gotgames

@Pedro: You are wrong in many ways, no point explaining it to simple mind people

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Pedro

@gotgames said:

@Pedro: You are wrong in many ways, no point explaining it to simple mind people

Wrong in many ways but can't point out one.🤷🏽‍♂️

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By gotgames

@Pedro: MS buying Big publishers with popular franchise eliminates competition buy not being able to compete for timed exclusive or exclusive dlc deals at all, if you really don’t understand this than go back to school, buying smaller studios i am fine with it, buying exclusive games rights i am fine with it since all companies can compete,🤷‍♂️

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

@gotgames:

Just chiming in with this.

What if Sony would allow GamePass on their system?

Seems that would solve any of those issues. Win/win. :P

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 923 Posts

Exclusivity is never going to end as long as there are 2+ competitors in a market. Why is this considered so evil? As a consumer you have access to every option and make the decision of which one you want. You don't NEED to have it all.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Pedro

@gotgames: That is objectively false. The acquisition of Activision Blizzard does not eliminate competition. If Activision Blizzard was the only source of game development then you would have a point, but they are not. Your assessment relies on monopoly status, which isn't the case. So, the many things that were wrong with my comment, turned out to be one thing and the one that thing was false.

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 gotgames

@Pedro: so you would be fine if sony started buying other small publishers like konami square Capcom cd project red EA etc., sure body that’s why MS is trying to pull a Disney + 🤷‍♂️

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Pedro

@gotgames said:

@Pedro: so you would be fine if sony started buying other small publishers like konami square Capcom cd project red EA etc., sure body that’s why MS is trying to pull a Disney + 🤷‍♂️

I am not fine with acquisitions and/or exclusives. You are fine with exclusives, so your objection to acquisitions for exclusives goes contrary to that stance.

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Randy_Lahey
Member since 2022 • 1803 Posts

@Pedro said:
@gotgames said:

That is the luxury of purchasing a studio. It is weird that you are OK with purchasing exclusives but not OK with permanently purchasing exclusives.🤷🏽‍♂️

Not surprised to read this hypocritical bullshit from you. I thought you were against buying publishers, I guess it’s only ok when your favourite company does it hey Pedro? 🤡

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Randy_Lahey
@gotgames said:

@Pedro: MS buying Big publishers with popular franchise eliminates competition buy not being able to compete for timed exclusive or exclusive dlc deals at all, if you really don’t understand this than go back to school, buying smaller studios i am fine with it, buying exclusive games rights i am fine with it since all companies can compete,🤷‍♂️

Don’t bother he bleeds green. he’ll only attempt to sound unbiased by answering your points with more questions. Inside he’s got the biggest erection for this deal to go through because he hates PlayStation

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Randy_Lahey
@Pedro said:
@gotgames said:

What is called competition? The purchasing of exclusives? Sony, MS and Nintendo create new IP and support old IPs, so what is your point? What MS is doing is pushing the exclusive practice that so many of have been praising to the next level. Exclusives were NEVER good for gamers and since gamers and journalist has ALWAYS been in support of this practice, we are getting the fruits of it. Since purchasing exclusives is acceptable, then by extension purchasing studios even in bulk is. The rules don't changes because MS came along and super sized the practice. It is called competition.😏

@palasta said:
@Pedro said:

What is objectively false? My comment that gaming journalist stating that no exclusive equates to no competition? What is being misrepresented?

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/07/xbox-series-x-exclusives-phil-spencer/amp/

“exclusives are completely counter to what gaming is about” - Phil Spencer.

I guess when he didnt have access to papa Nutella’s wallet, this was the best he could do. And surely you agreed. Funny how your sentiment changes based on what Phil does. What a joke

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts

@randy_lahey: He said that before he realized how dirty Sony was playing.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Pedro

@randy_lahey: My sentiment with exclusives have not changed. I literally stated that I am against exclusives and acquisitions in this very thread.🤣 What a 🤡

Edit: Damn, I didn't realize you got triggered by my response.😂

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

A few alts raging in this thread...

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Randy_Lahey

@Pedro said:

@randy_lahey: My sentiment with exclusives have not changed. I literally stated that I am against exclusives and acquisitions in this very thread.🤣 What a 🤡

Edit: Damn, I didn't realize you got triggered by my response.😂

🤡

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Pedro
@randy_lahey said:

Not surprised to read this hypocritical bullshit from you. I thought you were against buying publishers, I guess it’s only ok when your favourite company does it hey Pedro? 🤡

@randy_lahey said:

Don’t bother he bleeds green. he’ll only attempt to sound unbiased by answering your points with more questions. Inside he’s got the biggest erection for this deal to go through because he hates PlayStation

@randy_lahey said:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/07/xbox-series-x-exclusives-phil-spencer/amp/

“exclusives are completely counter to what gaming is about” - Phil Spencer.

I guess when he didnt have access to papa Nutella’s wallet, this was the best he could do. And surely you agreed. Funny how your sentiment changes based on what Phil does. What a joke

😂😂
😂😂

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Randy_Lahey

@Pedro: great retort hypocrite. Let’s wait and see what your next marching orders are from Xbox HQ lmao.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Pedro

@randy_lahey said:

@Pedro: great retort hypocrite. Let’s wait and see what your next marching orders are from Xbox HQ lmao.

Hypocrite?...😂🤣

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#85 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44543 Posts

Damn. Angry alt boy is angry again. Couldn’t have seen that one coming. 😅

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 gotgames

@Pedro: you really should go back to school and learn how to answer questions, by not answering my question just tells me that I am right 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1411 Posts

@Pedro said:

The tediousness debating with the likes of you. You didn't provide a source for your claim - and failed to do so, insinuating there is nothing else to the argument and that them gaming jourlanists have no idea. But you do... of course.

The rest of my comment is indeed related. You just like to ignore the undeniable facts. If it isn't exclusives(=quality) to drive the competition what then? Right, "value" like you would say. Or "low-quality bulk products and stagnation". Or shorter "Steam Shop", the sea of garbage you cherish so much.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Pedro
@gotgames said:

@Pedro: you really should go back to school and learn how to answer questions, by not answering my question just tells me that I am right 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

You need to improve of your recollection.

@Pedro said:
@gotgames said:

I am not fine with acquisitions and/or exclusives. You are fine with exclusives, so your objection to acquisitions for exclusives goes contrary to that stance.

I guess your are wrong. Again.🤭

@palasta said:
@Pedro said:

The tediousness debating with the likes of you. You didn't provide a source for your claim - and failed to do so, insinuating there is nothing else to the argument and that them gaming jourlanists have no idea. But you do... of course.

The rest of my comment is indeed related. You just like to ignore the undeniable facts. If it isn't exclusives(=quality) to drive the competition what then? Right, "value" like you would say. Or "low-quality bulk products and stagnation". Or shorter "Steam Shop", the sea of garbage you cherish so much.

You stated my comment was false yet you are unable to point to the portion that was false. Instead you beat around the bush with whatever the above is. You are asking for a source. A source to what claim? Seems like you have lost track of what was actually stated and when called to be specific throw this weird hissy fit.

The rest of your statement has NOTHING to do with my comment. You needed to rant about something and decided to insert your opinion which you are now parading as facts. You are also factually equating exclusive to quality. That is objectively and demonstrably false.

Just in case you forgot the original context to your...whatever you are doing.

@palasta said:
@Pedro said:

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 gotgames

@Pedro: got it you bleed green

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Pedro

@gotgames said:

@Pedro: got it you bleed green

The acquisition cuts you deep.🤭

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 gotgames

@Pedro: no not at all could care less if Sony goes bankrupt, the acquisition is bad for gaming

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Pedro

@gotgames said:

@Pedro: no not at all could care less if Sony goes bankrupt, the acquisition is bad for gaming

Like all acquisitions and exclusives.😎

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 gotgames

@Pedro: nope

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 gotgames

@SecretPolice: I believe Sony tried to put psNow on Xbox and MS did not allow it and MS tried to put Gamepass on PlayStation and Sony did not allow it. As long both Sony and MS are making Hardware exclusive games are necessary to sell the hardware and compete for costumers

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 gotgames

@Pedro: not all a acquisitions with established franchise, see how Disney + gained more subscribers buy purchasing major franchises, creating monopoly

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#96  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34773 Posts

I don't see any reason why they'd have a downfall. Sony has been asshats for decades.

The PlayStation is the console to have (according to people) when you wanna game FIFA with the bros. That's basically all they need for success. Remember back in the day when people just said they have a "Nintendo", and that was basically "I have a console"? That's what PlayStation is now. When someone who has no idea wtf videogames is goes out to buy a console, he or she will buy a PlayStation.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Pedro

@gotgames: You are using the term monopoly incorrectly.

Avatar image for masterkiller103
Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#98 Masterkiller103
Member since 2022 • 468 Posts

I agree they had a lot of questionable decisions this generation.