SONY's Boss : *PS3 Has Become Lead Platform For 3rd Party Developers*

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

"Developers are telling us that they are starting to create their games on PS3 first and take advantage of the hardware capabilities and then port down to other platforms so we are seeing tremendous progress from the third party community in terms of what they are able to do with our development kits." - linkie

P.S. As usual, apologies if old.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

"Developers are telling us that they are starting to create their games on PS3 first and take advantage of the hardware capabilities and then port down to other platforms so we are seeing tremendous progress from the third party community in terms of what they are able to do with our development kits." - linkie

Mystery_Writer

This kind of news won't go over very well in a Lemming Dominated SW/GS, but I say, "We will have to see"

The Only 3rd developer that I know of that has openly said Their game will be better on PS3, is the HIGHLY respected Criterion. I tried CRITERION's Newest game coming out, Burnout Paradise, the Demo on 360, and it still looks good. I can't wait to try the PS3 version!

Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Can-o-Mark
Member since 2005 • 3844 Posts

Course he doesn't say which developers (aside from Criterion, whose Burnout Paradise is indeed better on PS3), or how many developers, so it's up to you to figure out whether he's telling porky pies or not.

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
dont they usually develop on the weakest system & then port to the rest?
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

Sony never lies so this is good news.

Seriously though, I do think things are looking better for the PS3. It would be nice if he actually mentioned which 3rd parties are doing that.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidTy

dont they usually develop on the weakest system & then port to the rest?CwlHeddwyn

Well, the developers have been porting from the 360 all this time, so by your logic, what does that tell you?

You can't deny your own logic.

mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts

i think i herd this awhile ago, i know DMC4 and burnout has the ps3 as the lead platform and they are being ported over to the 360, and im sure those are not the only ones.

its funny because the fanboys really thought that the 360 would have better multiplats for the rest of this gen

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidTy

i think i herd this awhile ago, i know DMC4 and burnout has the ps3 as the lead platform and they are being ported over to the 360,

mattyomo99

Oh yeah, I forgot about DMC4 being better on PS3 according to some sources. The difference there is that the Developers aren't saying it's better, it's just been noticed.

Criterion actually is telling people what's up with their latest game.

The PS3 is powerful, but it's hard to develop for when compared to the 360, but it's nice to see some developers step up to the challenge.

The 360 has had a good run, but it seems like it topped out when Gear of War (Xmas 2006) hit. Of course, surprises are still waiting in the wings, because I think my 360 still has some juice left.

lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

[QUOTE="CwlHeddwyn"]dont they usually develop on the weakest system & then port to the rest?SolidTy

Well, the developers have been porting from the 360 all this time, so by your logic, what does that tell you?

Ps3 can't run general code and has splitted memory banks so, Optimizing the game frist for single precision(which 360 does even better then standard code) and slitted memory and then porting is much easier.

mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattyomo99
[QUOTE="mattyomo99"]

i think i herd this awhile ago, i know DMC4 and burnout has the ps3 as the lead platform and they are being ported over to the 360,

SolidTy

Oh yeah, I forgot about DMC4 being better on PS3 according to some sources. The difference there is that the Developers aren't saying it's better, it's just been noticed.

The PS3 is powerful, but it's hard to develop for when compared to the 360, but it's nice to see some developers step up to the challenge.

The 360 has had a good run, but it seems like it topped out when Gear of War (Xmas 2006) hit. Of course, surprises are still waiting in the wings, because I think my 360 still has some juice left.

its funny because all the fan boys bash the ps3 for blu-ray not being needed, but its clearly going to be a HUGE advantage when games like GT5 and FFXIII come out. look at LO and blue dragon on the 360 both have multiple disks, Mass Effects main story is the shortest ive ever seen in a RPG, and new ips like LA noire are not even possible on the 360 because of disk space. If gears of war 2 dosnt look alot better then gears one, the 360willbemaxed out sadly

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="CwlHeddwyn"]dont they usually develop on the weakest system & then port to the rest?lordxymor

Ps3 can't run general code and has splitted memory banks so, Optimizing the game frist for single precision(which 360 does even better then standard code) and slitted memory and then porting is much easier.

Oh, I know it's easier to make a game for 360 then port. Tjat post isn't about tech details.

Look at my point again, I am answering his question.

Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts

Wow. This thread is going over well.

Now its time to see what developers can really do when they are put to a new test.

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts
This news hardly matters as developers know were the money is judging by software sales. So it doesn't make sense for some of them put all their efforts into a game thats on a platform with the weakest software sales/fanbase. The fact that he didn't mention which developers is even more proof of that.
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts

[QUOTE="CwlHeddwyn"]dont they usually develop on the weakest system & then port to the rest?SolidTy

logic dictates that the developers have found the PS3 to be the weakest system.

madvicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 madvicker
Member since 2005 • 101 Posts
Actually the PS3 can run general code. It is just optimised for more specific game code.
Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pro_wrestler

its funny because all the fan boys bash the ps3 for blu-ray not being needed, but its clearly going to be a HUGE advantage when games like GT5 and FFXIII come out. look at LO and blue dragon on the 360 both have multiple disks, Mass Effects main story is the shortest ive ever seen in a RPG, and new ips like LA noire are not even possible on the 360 because of disk space. If gears of war 2 dosnt look alot better then gears one, the 360willbemaxed out sadly

mattyomo99

It's really funny that you used Lost Odyssey, a game that I get more playtime from just one disc than I can from games like Motorstorm, RFOM, HS and Uncharted in their entirety. That example defeats the purpose of Blu-ray.

tiger35010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tiger35010
Member since 2004 • 859 Posts
Best Third party Developer : Infinty Ward, Decent Third party Developer : Ubisoft Worst Third party Developer : EA these are for ports to the ps3 or multiplatform ( feel free to add to that ) Plus we'll see if capcom will be a good multiplatform developer or the next EA ( I highly doubt it )
madvicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 madvicker
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="CwlHeddwyn"]dont they usually develop on the weakest system & then port to the rest?CwlHeddwyn

Well obviously you don't have much logic then do you. And actually the PS3 is more powerful but developers at the moment are to lazy to push it.
mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattyomo99
[QUOTE="mattyomo99"]

Pro_wrestler

It's really funny that you used Lost Odyssey, a game that I get more playtime from just one disc than I can from games like Motorstorm, RFOM, HS and Uncharted in their entirety. That example defeats the purpose of Blu-ray.

ok im using it as an example because itsa multiple disk game, if it were on the ps3 it would be a one disk game thats the only point i was making.

mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mattyomo99

Best Third party Developer : Infinty Ward, Decent Third party Developer : Ubisoft Worst Third party Developer : EA these are for ports to the ps3 or multiplatform ( feel free to add to that ) Plus we'll see if capcom will be a good multiplatform developer or the next EA ( I highly doubt it ) tiger35010

capcom will be a great 3rd party dev, DMC4 uses the ps3 as the lead platform no EA bull

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pro_wrestler
[QUOTE="Pro_wrestler"][QUOTE="mattyomo99"]

mattyomo99

ok im using it as an example because itsa multiple disk game, if it were on the ps3 it would be a one disk game thats the only point i was making.

No you weren't. You were trying to convey PS3's "Superior" disc size when there is absolutely no excuse for its array of 10 hour games. Which makes all those superiority claims moot!

madvicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 madvicker
The PS3 does have superior disc size it is just not being utilised very thoroughly at the moment.
-wii60-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -wii60-
Member since 2007 • 3287 Posts

Sony never lies so this is good news.

Seriously though, I do think things are looking better for the PS3. It would be nice if he actually mentioned which 3rd parties are doing that.

the-very-best

:lol: yeah sureeeeeeeee
boyinfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 boyinfridge
Member since 2006 • 1796 Posts

wasn't the PS3 the lead console for the last virtua fighter I remember hearing how the PS3 was very similar to the graphics card in the arcade machine and that would make the PS3 version the best but then oh surprise the 360 version came out withslightly better graphics and more content.

lead platform obviously doesn't mean a lot.

-wii60-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -wii60-

wasn't the PS3 the lead console for the last virtua fighter I remember hearing how the PS3 was very similar to the graphics card in the arcade machine and that would make the PS3 version the best but then oh surprise the 360 version came out withslightly better graphics and more content.

lead platform obviously doesn't mean a lot.

boyinfridge

Yes and before they said that it was only possible on ps3 :roll: same with devil may cry 4..
whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts
Let him say what he does, the majority of the big games like GTA4,Fallout 3 still show the 360 is the lead platform.
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
Interesting.....good to see PS3 not get bad ports anymore.
SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 SgtWhiskeyjack
Member since 2004 • 16364 Posts

Should be better than last gen. The Xbox was clearly more powerful but was getting crappy PS2 ports. The platforms are pretty equal in power this gen (for now), so no one will get games that are so noticably downgraded.

As it is, the difference are so minor that I haven't even entertained replying to this and that post which points out the small differences. It's all a bit petty.

mattacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mattacular
Member since 2007 • 363 Posts
A couple of developers will of courseuse the PS3 as the lead platform but its glaringly obvious that the 360 will be the lead for most developers for years to come. Firstly due to its user base and ridiculously high software sales it makes financial sense to get the 360 version out as soon as possible. Secondly we know for a fact that the software tools that MS gives out are vastly superior to the ones Sony uses so it is easier to develop on the 360 and finally, due to the similarity of the 360 to the PC many developers who worked on the PC would find the 360 much less of a challenge.
jimbob9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jimbob9999
Member since 2003 • 1120 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="mattyomo99"]

mattyomo99

Gears 2 will be using the exact same engine as the original, I don't think it will looks leaps and bounds better but that doesn't mean the 360 has reached it's peak. As for Blu Ray, why couldn't LA Noire be done on multiple discs, it's not a big issue for the vast majority of gamers, after all cows were doing it with MGS and FF7/8/9.
-wii60-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -wii60-

[QUOTE="tiger35010"]Best Third party Developer : Infinty Ward, Decent Third party Developer : Ubisoft Worst Third party Developer : EA these are for ports to the ps3 or multiplatform ( feel free to add to that ) Plus we'll see if capcom will be a good multiplatform developer or the next EA ( I highly doubt it ) mattyomo99

capcom will be a great 3rd party dev, DMC4 uses the ps3 as the lead platform no EA bull

Sure thats why capcom is using the x360 as the lead platform for RE5 :roll:
Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Soulja_West
Member since 2003 • 15084 Posts

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This needs to bein a sig :lol:

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

i dont beleive it yet...

if it were true why do the ps3 versions still have less texturing and less aa????????

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Soulja_West
[QUOTE="mattyomo99"]

Pro_wrestler

LO is an RPG. RPG games are suppose to be longer than games like RFOM, HS, and motorstorm. Now if you were comparing LO to FFXIII then it would be a different story.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Soulja_West
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="CwlHeddwyn"]dont they usually develop on the weakest system & then port to the rest?CwlHeddwyn

It doesn't dictates that its the weakest system, it dictates that its the hardest to develop for.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Soulja_West
[QUOTE="mattyomo99"][QUOTE="Pro_wrestler"][QUOTE="mattyomo99"]

Pro_wrestler

No you weren't. You were trying to convey PS3's "Superior" disc size when there is absolutely no excuse for its array of 10 hour games. Which makes all those superiority claims moot!

Its the developers fault. They have the disc space, they just need to take advantage of it. Right now, no one is really taking advantage of it.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Soulja_West
[QUOTE="mattyomo99"][QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="mattyomo99"]

jimbob9999

Gears 2 will be using the exact same engine as the original, I don't think it will looks leaps and bounds better but that doesn't mean the 360 has reached it's peak. As for Blu Ray, why couldn't LA Noire be done on multiple discs, it's not a big issue for the vast majority of gamers, after all cows were doing it with MGS and FF7/8/9.

Than was then this is now.

jimbob9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jimbob9999
Member since 2003 • 1120 Posts
[QUOTE="Pro_wrestler"][QUOTE="mattyomo99"][QUOTE="Pro_wrestler"][QUOTE="mattyomo99"]

Soulja_West

Its the developers fault. They have the disc space, they just need to take advantage of it. Right now, no one is really taking advantage of it.

The developers don't need to take advantage of that space, they're making plenty of AAA's on DVD's at the moment.
If developers were filling up Blu Ray discs for the hell of it you'd get higher development costs along with a ton of sloppy filler content, when a game can justify the use of Blu Ray I'll look into getting a PS3 again, but I don't see this happening this generation.
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts
why does the PS3 seem unable to handle X360 ports, whereas X360 seems fine with PS3 ports?
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

I love how SONY put a positive spin on this. The reason why its become the lead platform is due to the difficulties devs had with the hardware and realized that the only way to release a decent multiplatform game on the PS3 is to start there and port to the rest.

360 can handle the port, however vice versa, the PS3 can't handle a 360 port...and ends up crap.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50662 Posts
[QUOTE="Pro_wrestler"][QUOTE="mattyomo99"][QUOTE="Pro_wrestler"][QUOTE="mattyomo99"]

Soulja_West

I don't know why it's so hard for people to realize this. Seems really simple to me.

lucoque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lucoque
Member since 2007 • 72 Posts

all i no is that dmc4 and burnout:p will but built on the ps3 then ported tot he 360

dont no about RES 5

but ubisoft has haze built on the ps3 and porting it to the xbox 3......oh wait it was cancelled :lol:

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

dear sony,

Which developers?

Thanks.

legol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 legol1
Member since 2005 • 1998 Posts

and why reviewer give 360 version better score?
Vulcan110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Vulcan110
Member since 2004 • 1456 Posts

Mystery_Writer

Last generation as a huge xbox fan i was furious that i got waay watered down ports from the ps2. Could u imagine how much better GTA could have looked built from the ground up on the xbox then ported!

It would be no suprize to be to see sony doing this but what i cant understand is that there isant much the ps3 has over the 360 in terms of graphics and doesant seem much worth it in the end! If sony was seeing tremendios 3rd party sales they would be doing alot better!

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts

Well seeing as this is the same guy who said: I will give you $1,200 if you can find a PS3 on store shelves at launch time.

I would sit and wait this out. It is most likely still PR spin.

MrSickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MrSickVisionz
Member since 2004 • 798 Posts

Too bad PS3 owners buy multiplats and 3rd party games (Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, etc).

For the people asking why the PS3 doesn't do 360 ports well, but the other can... I think it comes down to RAM. The PS3 has 512mb split into two equal dedicated chunk for graphics and non-graphics. Meaning that no matter how little of one is being used, the max the other can use is only 256. The 360 has a unified 512 so that you can get more into if the other thing (graphics or non-graphics) isn't using that much.

When porting to PS3, you always have to make sure that nothing is ever going over that 256 cap. When going to 360, there is no memory cap and currently not too many PS3 games are really taking advantage of the features that the PS3 does the the 360 can't.

People need to stop with this whole disk size thing. That extra space is only gonna be used for HD videos... which aren't gameplay and therefore, IMO, aren't really the reason I buy games. Do you buy games to watch them rather than actually play them? If you think a shooting game is gonna come with 50gb of real game date (ie like 400 weapons, 600 multiplayer maps, 120 vehicles, etc) you're deluding yourself. Especially when that game is developed in the same amount of time as current games are? They'll just magically see these huge exponential increases in productivity? If you think we'll see massive (in pixel size or memory size) textures, you have to remember the ram limitation and think how smart is it to load up a 20 meg grass texture when you've only got 256 megs of graphics ram and you still have architecture, vehicles, weapons, and character textures (ie important stuff) that need to go into RAM.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
  1. What games?
  2. What developers?
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
  1. What games?
  2. What developers?
Blackbond
exactly, you'd have thought cows would have been wary about immediately jumping all over something a Sony exec says likes it gospel, but I guess not.