Sony: Wii U is "its own generation"

• 156 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

Sony sees Nintendo's Wii U as "its own generation".

The first high definition Nintendo console is set to launch in time for Christmas this year, and while the exact technical specifications remain under wraps (we do know top level CPU and GPU information) it is expected to at the least match the power of the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 - not significantly outperform them.

And with the PlayStation 4 and next Xbox rumoured to be set for release late next year, some have described the Wii U as a "stop-gap" console.

For Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida, the Wii U, as with its predecessor the Wii, exists in its own bubble.

"Personally, I have always thought Wii was in a generation of its own," Yoshida told Eurogamer when asked whether he considered the Wii U a next generation machine.

"I always thought PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 are in the same generation, but Wii was not the same. To me, the industry was growing really fast when those three platforms came up because the focus is so different. The PS3 and the 360 were the closest in terms of high definition and networked services. But Wii carved out a large niche to itself. To me, it was like two generations going at the same time."

He added: "Wii U is the next generation of Wii. That I understand. To me, it's its own generation."

During E3 last week the PlayStation 4 - codenamed Orbis - was discussed but not named by Sony executives. One confirmed games are in development for it. Another suggested it will be a powerhouse - and may not launch before the next Xbox.

So, it is coming. But is the Wii U, which will, perhaps, get a year's head start on the competition, a competitor to the PS4?

"That's a trick question!" Yoshida laughed. "We are not talking about future PlayStation platforms at this E3. But everything competes for consumers' time and money and attention.

"When you talk about the gaming industry today, it's a lot bigger than five years ago - there are a lot more people playing games, on a smartphone, on Facebook, in addition to PC and consoles. It's already multi-platform, way beyond the three - Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo.

"So we are competing with everyone for consumers' attention, not just Nintendo and Microsoft."Eurogamer

Source

posting for the incoming Sh!tstorm :lol:

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Nintenderp rage imminent.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

4423031462_c7f959bd98.jpg

lol

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 T3H_1337_N1NJ4
Member since 2005 • 2225 Posts
I agree. I also agree that the PS3 and XBOX are in their own generation and that neither is more valid.
D4W1L4H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 D4W1L4H
Member since 2011 • 1765 Posts

lolsony

Click_Clock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Click_Clock
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

Nintendo can't handle the big boys and must be in a league behind Microsoft and Sony. Microsoft is likely to dominate the next generation with its popular Windows 8 platform and Xbox 720.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Well generations are rather loose, and they are based on time and who's competing. So Wii U may be in their own generation depending on when the other release.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
He didn't say anything wrong, I wonder why there will be any sh*tstorm. He sounded respectful of the device at all times, and what he said is basically what we say: the Wii wasn't really a part of the same generation as the Xbox 360 and PS3. I'm not even talking from a specs perspective here, I'm also talking about the development cycles and mentality, budgets, games, everything. The Wii existed in its own gen, and the Wii U looks like it will be more of that. A machine that exists in its own generation, and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the two generations (Wii vs Xbox/PS3) is not the 'true' generation. They are both equally valid, but divergent takes on the future of where gaming is going. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as it can deliver some compelling games, and with New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, ZombiU, Rayman Legends, and P-100, it already seems to be off to a good start.
T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 T3H_1337_N1NJ4
Member since 2005 • 2225 Posts
There is nothing wrong with that, as long as it can deliver some compelling games, and with New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, ZombiU, Rayman Legends, and P-100, it already seems to be off to a good start.charizard1605
I thought you had vowed to pretend the Wii U didn't exist after the E3 conference.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SuperFlakeman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(eighth_generation)

Home Consoles:

Wii U console illustration.svg

Wii U controller illustration.svg

WiiU.svg

----

Handhelds:

----

Nintendo-3DS-AquaOpen.pngPlayStation Vita illustration.svg

----

3DS = 17m+
Vita = 2m+
Wii U = ~1 year headstart

Nintendo is dominating the 8th gen lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]There is nothing wrong with that, as long as it can deliver some compelling games, and with New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, ZombiU, Rayman Legends, and P-100, it already seems to be off to a good start.T3H_1337_N1NJ4
I thought you had vowed to pretend the Wii U didn't exist after the E3 conference.

No, I had vowed to not buy it till it has a critical mass of games that I want.
crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(eighth_generation)

Home Consoles:

Wii U console illustration.svg

Wii U controller illustration.svg

WiiU.svg

----

Handhelds:

----

Nintendo-3DS-AquaOpen.pngPlayStation Vita illustration.svg

----

3DS = 17m+
Vita = 2m+
Wii U = ~1 year headstart

Nintendo is dominating the 8th gen lol

SuperFlakeman
That's a technicality. You know very well what Yoshida meant, and he was right.
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
Sony have to say this though, as next gen doesn't start until they say so. If it's a next gen platform, it would start without them, and that cannot be the case.
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

He can tell himself that if he wants, like it or not its still the console the next playstation will be up against.

JohnnyCageMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JohnnyCageMK
Member since 2012 • 4365 Posts
PS3 is also its own generation. The last place generation.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SuperFlakeman

That's a technicality. You know very well what Yoshida meant, and he was right.crippled_ram

Generation has nothing to do with power, or new controllers for that matter.

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts

Generation has nothing to do with power, or new controllers for that matter.

SuperFlakeman

Okay, I'm going to quote some posts from THIS thread to try and explain what he meant:
I agree. I also agree that the PS3 and XBOX are in their own generation and that neither is more valid.T3H_1337_N1NJ4

He didn't say anything wrong, I wonder why there will be any sh*tstorm. He sounded respectful of the device at all times, and what he said is basically what we say: the Wii wasn't really a part of the same generation as the Xbox 360 and PS3. I'm not even talking from a specs perspective here, I'm also talking about the development cycles and mentality, budgets, games, everything. The Wii existed in its own gen, and the Wii U looks like it will be more of that. A machine that exists in its own generation, and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the two generations (Wii vs Xbox/PS3) is not the 'true' generation. They are both equally valid, but divergent takes on the future of where gaming is going.

There is nothing wrong with that, as long as it can deliver some compelling games, and with New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, ZombiU, Rayman Legends, and P-100, it already seems to be off to a good start.charizard1605

He isn't saying that in a derogatory way. It's just his way of saying that Nintendo systems don't compete for the same market ad the PS3/Xbox 360 anymore, and he is right when he says that.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SuperFlakeman

Whatever his intentions are, he used the word generation incorrectly.

drakekratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 drakekratos
Member since 2011 • 2311 Posts
He speaks the truth. Wii U reminds me of Dreamcast. It is its own generation
AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AdmiralBison
Member since 2008 • 3970 Posts
Before it was "this generation starts when we day it does" This time its not the same generation. "it's own generation"
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

Sony still not humbled after PS3/Vita disasters.

Cows better get used to last place, Sony just doesn't get it :?

ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ebrezzy1
Member since 2012 • 1427 Posts

Next Gen starts with Sony and Microsoft

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

It will obviously depends on Xbox 3 and PS4 hardware.

Btw, good to see Sony admitting that PS3 and 360 are similar in tech. Poor cows, even the leaders of their cult disagree with their beliefs :P

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#24 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Yes and no. I do disagree with this idea of nintendo's own generation because this was one of two mistakes that 3rd party Wii developers made.

The first mistake was the idea that casual gamers don't experience a difference in quality. Quality game design is just as important for casual gamers as for core gamers. While casual gamers are known to be less informed about what are good games, they are capable of liking and disliking a game, and sales are driven a lot through word of mouth and on playing it at a friends place. Making terrible casual games does frequently botch the sales.

They believed that the Wii did not compete with the 360 and PS3 and they were partially wrong. They developed games that were done far better on 360 or ps3 and were therefor obsolete. Nintendo is indeed in its own generation, however as a game developer you need to design the game with the knowledge that while the platform is unique and some of the games are unique, the game you make does compete with all other games out there. Nintendo is in its own generation precisely because they understand this and provide different novel experiences from the other platforms. If you make a generic experience on a unique platform, you will still compete with everything available to a gamer, and that can't be good for sales.
The platform can be unique and not competing with other platforms but it's the gaming experience that has to be unique or it will compete with other games. Money can only be spend once.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
He speaks the truth. Wii U reminds me of Dreamcast. It is its own generationdrakekratos
But the dreamcast was not it's own generation...In fact the dreamcast was not that much weaker than the PS2. Sony had lied about what the PS2 could do when compared to the Dreamcast to promote sales.
Pikachu69er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pikachu69er
Member since 2012 • 1381 Posts

PS3 is also its own generation. The last place generation.JohnnyCageMK

xbox is also the no game generation :lol:

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="JohnnyCageMK"]PS3 is also its own generation. The last place generation.Pikachu69er

xbox is also the no game generation :lol:

Goddamn you are so damn clever and original, holy f*ck.
CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
He didn't say anything wrong, I wonder why there will be any sh*tstorm. He sounded respectful of the device at all timescharizard1605
Yoshida is one probably the best Sony exec.

And yes, he didn't really say anything wrong. Look at the Wii lineup of games compared to the PS3/360. They don't share that many games a like. Look at the top 10 multiplats from this generation. The Wii has none of them. The only multiplats the Wii shares with PS3/360 are movie tie in games/family friendly games/sports games.

Pretty accurate to say that the Wii is almost in it's own generation. With the Wii U not being that much powerful than current consoles as soon as the PS4/720 launches then we will start seeing the Wii U miss out on most the best multiplats from next generation.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts

Everyone is wrong. The WiiU is MY generation.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Good thing no one really cares what Sony thinks. Next gen starts with the Wii-U, and it will be cemented by the release of the Nextbox next year. Sony can join whenever they feel like it.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
This is merely Sony attempting to sew the seeds of excuses for the PS4. When it comes out and gets raped in sales by the Wii U they could always fall back on the ol' "it's not even out competition!! derp!" non-sense. It seems Sony can learn something; preemptive strikes can mean everything.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
He said nothing wrong.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

The companies don't really decide that, not does it matter much. Nintendo will have a head start, for better or worse, and the next Sony and MS consoles will have to catch up. Nintendo is really blazing their own way, so direct comparison, while they'll be made, might be less valid.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
i dont get it...what did say wrong??
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#35 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

I actually agree with him Wii is it's own generation essentially isn't with the big boys MS and Sony.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#36 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

this "generation" term is extremely hollow. In reality it does not matter what generation something is. As long as the WiiU has games coming out for it and consumers consider buying it instead of the powerful consoles, then it is relevant. If this Sony guy wants to think this way then he is free to do so, but it's only going to hurt him and Sony in their efforts to fight for users with Nintendo

These statements are pure Sony arrogance, pure and simple. They were talking this way all gen and all it got them is a 3rd place finish after making the most popular console of all time. The idea that they aren't in competition with Nintendo is simply wrong. Then numbers speak for themselves

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Eh its not surprising every one knows where the charlie sheens learn it, they learn it from the charlie sheen sony themselves they have made up so many rules and lies to make them selves seem number 1 and how they couldn't possibly be losing.

this is just another aspect of that as someone else said first it was the next gen doesn't start till we say so, they aren't even in the same market as us. now its they are their own generation.

ddlcpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ddlcpc
Member since 2007 • 887 Posts

Everyone have to remember that no matter how hard.. to be precise console is never a next gen nd never'll be.....

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

you guys are really taking his words out of context. Read it again.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#40 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

you guys are really taking his words out of context. Read it again.

Solid_Link22
to say that the wiiU is in it's own generation is pure arrogance. Simply not true. The guy in the quote is trying to make excuses for why his company is in third place by buying into this fairy tale about the evolution of consoles. We starting talking about hardware gens to describe what was in the market, not to make value judgements about the technology offered. The success of the wii proves that it was a significant upgrade on the gamecube because it was hardware that people desired. Just look at the earliest gens, where there was big disparity in console power and control input methods. Generational evolution does not equal graphics horsepower evolution. Graphics horsepower is just one of many methods of hardware evolution
sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sonic1564
Member since 2008 • 3265 Posts

That can be the reason of the flame wars between the 360 and PS3 because of what he said and the fact that they are HD twins.

Next gen will be the same.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
I can't really disagree with that.Nintendo is total lost is space.....lolol
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

He certainly isn't wrong. Actually that sounds just about right when you think of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

He certainly isn't wrong. Actually that sounds just about right when you think of it.

ChubbyGuy40
Yeah, I'm not quite getting the negative spin on this.
_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
It's 100% true. Now they've released the Wii U at an awkward time between generations and haven't made it powerful enough to compete with the next gen playstation and xbox.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

Generation for child gamers, Sony and Microsoft see to try and cater to a older audience, any one who disagrees is a child or a blind moron.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Well maybe yeah. It's gonna be like 2 years on its own I guess. Not a bad thing really.

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

ChubbyGuy40
Exactly. sheep should take this and run with it. To turn this quote into a negative would be stupid.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#50 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator  Online
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts
Next generation doesnt start until we say it does. Anyone else having the same flashback? :lol: